Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Is Islam out of your system

(Read 4466 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Is Islam out of your system
     OP - January 23, 2013, 03:05 AM

All said and done about leaving Islam, disagreeing with it, questioning its basis and objectives but the looming question. How many would actually eat PORK  piggy Huh?
     Reply #1 - January 23, 2013, 03:21 AM

Provided it was clean and served well, I would definitely eat pork because I don't give a rat's ass about what anyone has to say about anything I do to myself or on my body.
     Reply #2 - January 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

I eat pork whenever I'm abroad but sometimes in the back of my mind I have this "oh hey, I'm eating pork" thought. Same for alcohol.

But I don't think Islam is out of my system yet. It will take many years. I've been an apostate for four years, but I'd also been a muslim for 25.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #3 - January 23, 2013, 11:43 AM

Funny you should mention that. I eat pork, but I still don’t prefer it to beef or chicken. Whenever I eat it, there is this strong awareness I am doing something I used to consider taboo. Alcohol, on the other hand, I enjoy without any reservations. Shots shots shots shots shots shots, everybody!   sloshed cheers sloshed
     Reply #4 - January 23, 2013, 11:58 AM

Its out of my system but not out of my life...its like a lingering fart you get a whiff of now and again because of extended family connections.

I ate pork before I converted to Islam so going back to it was no biggie. I fuckin love bacon (not so much the crappy cheap bacon strips but the good stuff like canadian bacon and peameal bacon). Breakfast sausages are nice. Its really no big deal...just another animal millions of humans consume.

In my teenage years before I was muslim I still preferred chicken and beef and lamb to pork when it came to things like sandwich meat, chops and just normal chopped up meat. What Im trying to say is even people who were not born muslim may prefer the taste to other meat to pork so thats perfectly fine. but bacon.. yeah that shit makes everything taste good! LOL

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #5 - January 23, 2013, 01:39 PM

sloshed  dance  sloshed cheers!!

i like going to the restaurant and not asking 'what kind of meat is zis?' or  asking the pizza guy to use another knife/cutting tray for my pizza..
    i've discovered i like black forest ham and it makes one killer sandwich  Yummy
    i buy it, i eat it.. i make sandwiches and send my kids off to school with those sandwiches, i order pepperoni on my pizza... i am guilty of not caring anymore  grin12 sue me  grin12
     Reply #6 - January 23, 2013, 01:44 PM

Mmmmm fuckin meat lovers pizza was a welcome sight after 15 years of no pork! I'm hungry now! Let's have an apostate pizza party!

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #7 - January 23, 2013, 01:47 PM

ohhhh yeah!!  Yummy pizza party sounds awesome!
     Reply #8 - January 23, 2013, 02:57 PM

As an ex-Christian pork thing wasn't a big issue. But pork isn't as great as chicken or beef in my opinion. Also some methods of how pork is prepared isn't as great tasting as others. I don't like pork chops very much, but I love bacon *w* and baby back ribs are awesome. 

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #9 - January 23, 2013, 06:37 PM

Had a craving for a ham sandwich yesterday, the last time I gave into the temptation the end result was not as good as the thought. I remember wolfing it down in a service station hoping no islamic aquaintances would stop by for a fuel up.
     Reply #10 - January 23, 2013, 11:40 PM

Is Islam out of me? No, it will take me many experiences to fully rid myself of Islam.

I ate pork a few times, in different ways, just to try it. It's not like walking into a place and knowing what you like, but still trying stuff. It's fun! Tongue

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #11 - January 27, 2013, 04:42 AM

Funny you should mention that. I eat pork, but I still don’t prefer it to beef or chicken.

Same. I don't think it's very good meat, except as smoked ham and pepperoni on pizza.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #12 - January 28, 2013, 10:30 PM

I can't stand bacon/pork. I've tasted it a few times by accident at fast-foods, it's killed my apetite every time I've tried it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward
     Reply #13 - January 29, 2013, 12:03 AM

Its out of my system but not out of my life...its like a lingering fart you get a whiff of now and again because of extended family connections.

This. My family holds me back from being completely progressed past Islam, I believe. I know I'm in charge of my own mind, that I can control my thoughts etc., but I can't deny that they make it harder by pulling me back to a child or teenager's mental state - a mental state I'm trying to get as far away from.

I think that's what Islam does to women, even the so-called modern Muslim women in the West - completely "independent" with her own professional job, however single, and still living at home with her parents. Or married, or even moved out and completely independent by Western standards. If she still considers herself Muslim, however, and has to deal with her family, she'll have to deal with all the emotional abuse, Stockholm syndrome and other Islamic fun she gets. And if she is single and never been married, she is considered a "girl" (bint) - not a woman - although she is well into her 20s or 30s and is a woman - until she is married. Is it really all about genitals? Penis makes her a woman?
    And they say we are obsessed with targeting patriarchy and misogyny in religions.  wacko

As for the pork, I never tried it. Closest I've got was when I was still Muslim and ate turkey bacon.

I'm a vegetarian now.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #14 - January 31, 2013, 03:54 PM

I never tried it, but I definitely want to. Just to know what it taste like. But it's hard, eating not-Halal food. It's not a big deal, I do it all the time but to be completely honest I'm scared someone will see me. Because they even read the ingredients of candy before they buy it in our house. They'll be horrified if they find out I eat non Islamic food.

I have my own soul. My own spark of divine fire.
     Reply #15 - January 31, 2013, 04:14 PM

Getting Islam out of my moral, day2day system has been surprisingly easy. Things that would make me feel bad (eating pork, drinking, sex etc), I today do with surprising ease and with a clean conscience.

It all comes down to belief though. If I believe that their is a supernatural creator and that this creator doesn't like pork, I would abstain from it, and if I had failed to do so, I would at least feel bad for disappointing my creator. It's like Harris' analogy about belief vs hope. If you hope you have won the lottery, this won't affect your behavior or your choices. You are merely hoping. But, if you believe you've won the lottery, this would radically alter your behavior. You would spend extravagantly on things beyond your financial limits, you'll find it easier be condescending towards certain people etc.

So by the time I got rid of the belief in the supernatural creator, it really wasn't a problem to dispose myself of the kinds of behaviors it would provoke. The only thing I initially found difficult to get rid of, was my homophobia, for many reasons, but that is thankfully also about to dissolve as well.

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
     Reply #16 - January 31, 2013, 06:08 PM

All said and done about leaving Islam, disagreeing with it, questioning its basis and objectives but the looming question. How many would actually eat PORK  piggy Huh?

First time I ever had pork was on the plane when the hostess gave me the wrong sandwich and I didn't bother to correct her. I was still wearing my hijab too back then. I'll never forget the look on the woman's face sitting next to me XD

I don't think Islam is totally out of my system yet. There's just a small part of Islam's expectations of me as a female that I can't seem to forget about and silence no matter how hard I try. It's like that little remaining piece of poop that refuses to go down the toilet and disappear no matter how many times you flush it. You think it's almost gone and you begin to rejoice only to see it come back up again and ruin erthang. I'll get rid of it eventually I hope.

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #17 - January 31, 2013, 08:20 PM

This. My family holds me back from being completely progressed past Islam, I believe. I know I'm in charge of my own mind, that I can control my thoughts etc., but I can't deny that they make it harder by pulling me back to a child or teenager's mental state - a mental state I'm trying to get as far away from.

I think that's what Islam does to women, even the so-called modern Muslim women in the West - completely "independent" with her own professional job, however single, and still living at home with her parents. Or married, or even moved out and completely independent by Western standards. If she still considers herself Muslim, however, and has to deal with her family, she'll have to deal with all the emotional abuse, Stockholm syndrome and other Islamic fun she gets. And if she is single and never been married, she is considered a "girl" (bint) - not a woman - although she is well into her 20s or 30s and is a woman - until she is married. Is it really all about genitals? Penis makes her a woman?
    And they say we are obsessed with targeting patriarchy and misogyny in religions.  wacko

As for the pork, I never tried it. Closest I've got was when I was still Muslim and ate turkey bacon.

I'm a vegetarian now.

I absolutely detest that mentality highlighted in bold. It does trap muslim (or with muslim family) women into this system where you're dismissed as not a grown up, capable woman. It enforces a state of child-like vulnerability for longer than really suitable or healthy in the modern society.

Isn't it disgustingly condescending to think a penis graduates a girl into a woman? It's that men controlling women, i.e. I made you into my woman with my penis I 'own' you. I conquered, I've contaminated you, no other man shall touch you.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #18 - February 01, 2013, 01:41 AM

It is clear that Islam is so terribly INTRUSIVE to every facet of our individual lives. It even goes so far as to force us to INTRUDE into others lives and make them miserable too  finmad. I think MUSLIMS are the most intolerant of others, not by choice, but by force. It has been a personal battle to get this Islamic thorn out of my side but looking at things in a more spiritual light made me realize that I don't need any religion to tell me about GOD. In religion GOD is always ANGRY, so much so that he needs to attend a ANGER MANAGEMENT course, but I believe in an unconditionally loving GOD  dance. I have to go now and have my bacon sandwich.
     Reply #19 - February 01, 2013, 10:52 AM

I'm starting to think Islam was never in my system. I was at odds with it from an early age. Me and Islam just don't mix. Like water and oil.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #20 - February 01, 2013, 12:41 PM

Poor experiences with pork and ham are directly related to quality of the meat.

Allah and Mo obviously never had best quality Parma Ham!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #21 - February 02, 2013, 05:49 AM

Funny you should mention that. I eat pork, but I still don’t prefer it to beef or chicken. Whenever I eat it, there is this strong awareness I am doing something I used to consider taboo. Alcohol, on the other hand, I enjoy without any reservations. Shots shots shots shots shots shots, everybody!   sloshed cheers sloshed

HAHA I loved this...

I started at a new job, and I was so happy because I had a clean slate nobody knew I was muslim and nobody could tell I had been muslim *score* but unfortunately I subconsciously sat next to a bunch of muslim girls and found myself queuing for halal food at the canteen  wacko I guess this transition will take a while.
     Reply #22 - February 02, 2013, 09:18 AM

I started at a new job, and I was so happy because I had a clean slate nobody knew I was muslim and nobody could tell I had been muslim *score* but unfortunately I subconsciously sat next to a bunch of muslim girls and found myself queuing for halal food at the canteen   I guess this transition will take a while.

ROFL oops  Cheesy

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #23 - February 02, 2013, 12:35 PM

I ate a pulled pork sandwich a few weeks ago.

It was awesome. Equal to beef in taste, alot better than chicken.  Actually a bit better than beef but maybe its just cuz i ate it for the first time and the restaurant is reaaly good at making it.

The restaurant made it fresh on the spot so I was sooo good.

Love at first bite.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Re: Is Islam out of your system
     Reply #24 - February 03, 2013, 07:14 AM

I'm starting to think Islam was never in my system. I was at odds with it from an early age. Me and Islam just don't mix. Like water and oil.

I was kinda the same. Islam just didn't vibe with me growing up the way it did with some of my friends....I believed in all the tenets (because I never knew better and wasn't even given a choice) but was just never that into it.

I don't think there was ever a point in my life where I was a fully committed and practising believer. It's funny I could count with my fingers the amount of days I've prayed all five daily prayers......and these times were due to exceptional circumstances i.e islamic camp etc.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward
     Reply #25 - February 04, 2013, 03:34 PM

I said 'Bismillah' when I took a sip of my wine today. I don't think it's out of my systeem (yet!).

I have my own soul. My own spark of divine fire.
     Reply #26 - February 04, 2013, 07:18 PM

I said 'Bismillah' when I took a sip of my wine today. I don't think it's out of my systeem (yet!).

Cheesy

Reply #27 - February 08, 2013, 06:34 AM

First time, I ate bacon was in McDonald. I was in my car -  the drive-through,  I ordered a chicken sandwich. The girl saw me with my hijab and she was like: "Oh but there is bacon in that sandwich. Do you want us to remove the bacon? ". And I just replied that I didn't care about it. And when my order came, I found bacon in my sandwich and ate it anyway. The girl looked at me O_o !

Il faut savoir grandir et aller de l'avant.
     Reply #28 - February 08, 2013, 06:41 AM

ha, brilliant   Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #29 - February 08, 2013, 09:01 AM

Initially, when I left Islam, It felt eerie, yet liberating.  Because I lived in an irreligious household, no one taught me about Islam extensively. I had to learn it all on my own. When I was 16, I psychologically trained myself to learn the Quran, pray 5 times a day, go to the masjid/Imam bargah, etc. So as a result, I still catch myself saying Inshallah when talking to my parents, or Bismillah, when I even catch myself eating pork or drinking scotch. Noha's still sound nice to me, even though I disagree with the significance of the Battle of Karbala. My father doesn't really buy into the theology of Shia Islam too much, but he still gives charity to the people who write Noha's. He mostly cares about Shia Islam, because he is Sayyid, which I find hard to believe.

Thankfully, when I was in elementary school I ate my first corndog. Hotdogs soon followed, and pork was delicious. I never thought to myself that I was doing anything wrong. I didn't believe in an interventionalist god who would strike me down with lightning if I did something wrong. I believed in a god who was kind of like "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski. Someone who was laid back and not insecure about his "flock" doing something he disliked. It was only when I was 12 when someone told me that Islam believed in heaven and hell, judgement and punishment. That's when I changed my god from a loving, laid-back kind of being, to an insecure four year old who hated when you didn't say his name every chance you got.

When I was in Karachi, I faced immense bigotry from my friends, once they realized I was Shia and Sayyid. Some told me I wan an Iranian spy, a jew, a murtad.  Some even gloated when my Hazara friend died in a bomb-blast because they thought he was going to hell. Even though I left Shia Islam, I still feel that same prejudice when I go to Karachi every once in a while. Even in affluent circles, people see your name, and immediately recognize you as being Shia and Sayyid. It becomes a kind of bulls-eye target for the Taliban if you live in Karachi. So Islam, in that respect, isn't out of my system.

Islam, unlike many other religions, permeates your life. The way you conduct yourself in matters of behavior, business transactions, treatment of irrational adults, etc. Coupled with the dogma, you have a religion then that instill fears on you if you don't do the right ritual or the correct Sunnah.  So when one leaves the religion, the belief dies, but the other aspects still linger on. That little voice inside that tells you "You're sinning. Stop doing that or God will get angry." won't go away so easily. Meeting like-minded people like yourselves have definitely made that little voice head back into tortoise shell and never come out.
    I still catch myself trying to eat with the right hand instead of the left, when ordering my sourdough bacon sandwich.  

In the 10 or so months since I left Islam, I grown to realize that this religion deserves to be ridiculed. Seeing the lovely people who work hard to run this site and make funny satirical jabs at Islam, makes me hopeful that I can remove any subconscious longings to go back. Instead, I can use those energies to write about Islam from a more critical perspective. An anti-religious perspective, if you will. Leaving Islam has given me the greatest gift of all. It's allowed me to think for myself and not be solipsistic. Nothing was sacred and there were no taboos. And for that, I can never dream of turning back to the religion.

My dream is to go with my family to Lyon, France and enjoy the finest wine, pork and cheese there with them, without feeling guilty. I want them to know that by leaving Islam, one shouldn't feel frightened about the non-existence of God, but should feel uplifted at the prospects of living one's life according to one's wishes.  Maybe my constant questioning of religion to my mother's Sunni family will impact someone and they will leave. I will have to try right now to convince the rational ones from both of my families to leave Islam and maybe, just maybe, this dream can come true.

Tell the bird of superstitions not to speak
    The string of reasons will tie its beak
    Even if faith comes with water of the seven seas
    It'll evaporate on the griddle of wisdom with a shriek.

- Josh Malihabadi
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »