Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The 'Quran Project' Billboards Removal - An Opportunity For Common Ground

(Read 16101 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The 'Quran Project' Billboards Removal - An Opportunity For Common Ground
     OP - December 19, 2012, 02:40 PM

There has been something of a controversy in the last few days.

An advertising campaign of billboards at a number of London railway stations organised by a group called the Quran Project offering free Quran's in English to commuters has become a rallying point for activists after some of the posters were taken down.

A commenter on Reddit explains the affair in more detail.

Following numerous requests for the English translation of The Quran from non muslims who have seen the Billboards at the Major London Railway Stations and 5 Shahadas at Victoria Station on Saturday, Network Rail and Chiltern Railways began to order our billboards to be removed on the grounds of no religious advertising on their premises despite allowing other faith groups to carry out similar campaigns in a move which can only be seen as clearly discriminatory.

It appears that the English Translation of The Quran is a book too controversial for them to allow to be advertised on their premises. However, we know that "...And God is the best of planners." [Quran 8:30]

By trying to remove the billboards this has created a massive movement on social media in support of the billboard campaign and bought more attention on The Quran itself, which can only be a good thing God willing!

After receiving large numbers of complaints against the hypocrisy and discriminatory behavior of the rail-stations, the stations have now allowed the project to continue until the 24th of December, and the interest for the Qur'an has only grown more as a result.

Verily, Allaah is the best of planners.

Unless some contractual rules were violated, the decision to remove the posters was utterly egregious.

If it is the case that other religions have advertised on billboards in the same manner, there is no just cause for non-offensive Islamic posters to be removed from these hoardings.

On a wider issue, we wonder if it was complaints from members of the public which may have resulted in the billboards being removed.

As Ex-Muslims, we often find ourselves being censored in a similar manner, and for this reason, and for the principle of freedom of conscience and freedom of expression, we support the decision of the company to re-instate the billboards.

We hope that this affair can help to spark a debate about matters of freedom of expression and religion in the UK, and we hope that finding common ground on these matters can help to advance the cause of Ex-Muslims when they too find themselves confronted with issues of censorship and curtailment of their freedom of conscience and expression.

This may, for example, involve a critical engagement with the claims made by the 'Quran Project' in regard to the truth claims of Islam. In a secular society, such critical engagement is vital.

We hope that Muslims who campaigned against this unfair decision to remove the Quran Project billboards can join with us in having this debate and supporting the free expression of ex-Muslims in the future.

Reply #1 - December 19, 2012, 05:15 PM

I fully support the distribution of Qurans with English translations. What better way to turn people off Islam? I honestly don't think that anyone could convert to Islam after reading the Quran. 
     Reply #2 - December 19, 2012, 05:56 PM

I've met plenty of people who read the Qur'an in English before converting. Unfortunately reading and reasoning are completely different skill sets.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #3 - December 26, 2012, 08:22 AM

The removal of the billboards is horribly unfair and a clear display of extreme discrimination evident of widespread islamophobe.

What is completely just and righteous is throwing rotten eggs and cow dung at Christians who were trying to hold mass for Christmas - http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/rotten-egg-attack-mars-indonesia-christmas-celebration/563514

And even more morally outstanding is blocking and denying Christians to enter their church to hold a Christmas service - http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/gki-yasmin-denied-christmas-service-in-bogor-church-again/563498

Truly, the UK have serious issues with protecting human rights...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
     Reply #4 - December 26, 2012, 12:43 PM

That is a good media Blitz .. let me put some of those posters here..

Hmm.,    14000 or so  pounds are nothing.. we need lot more money.. give more.. .. In fact there should be a FREE QURAN in every hotel room and Tax payers should pay for that project..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - December 26, 2012, 04:47 PM

As uncomfortable as those images of religious propaganda make me feel, I must admit this:
    As Ex-Muslims, we often find ourselves being censored in a similar manner, and for this reason, and for the principle of freedom of conscience and freedom of expression, we support the decision of the company to re-instate the billboards.

is a very noble way of thinking.

What is completely just and righteous is throwing rotten eggs and cow dung at Christians who were trying to hold mass for Christmas - http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/rotten-egg-attack-mars-indonesia-christmas-celebration/563514

That's horrible.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #6 - January 10, 2013, 04:10 PM

I support, it give out more copies of the Qu'ran, hopefully more folks then will realize how its a fantasy book, dudes living in a belly of a fish, virgin births, celestial navigation on a flying horse, talking trees, talking ants, and talking rocks, etc, etc.
     Reply #7 - January 24, 2013, 08:43 PM

These Quran Project guys are everywhere. They usually camp outside colleges and university's and sometimes you will see them in the town centers. I saw them outside my former college few months back handing out various books to college students books, I thought I'd get a free copy of the Quran just for the sake of it. They told me Muslims i'd to pay £3.00 for the copy but non-Muslims not just get a free Quran, but 4 other books free with it. Thats so unfair !! 
     Reply #8 - January 24, 2013, 09:04 PM

TheRationalizer had one signed by 4 of the quote mined scientists in the back of it.
    It sold for significantly more than £3.00
     Reply #9 - January 24, 2013, 09:56 PM

Well lets go and ask the nice gentlemen who are kindly sharing the Quran if they are willing to have similar billboards promoting Christianity in Mecca, Riyad, Cairo, Baghdad, Damascus, and other major Arab cities,  and have groups handing out the bible for free there.

The answer you will receive will be a good test for the values of which the holy book espouses.... piggy

اه, يا ولاد الكدابة
     Reply #10 - January 25, 2013, 07:22 PM

I think its a great idea of quranic translations to be put on billboards

especially verses bashing non-muslims
     Reply #11 - January 25, 2013, 07:25 PM

Omg that is an awesome idea! No commentary, no footnotes. Just straight quotes. We should do that with hadiths too. See how many times they get "taken out of context" just up there on their own. I wish I was rich enough to finance this!
     Reply #12 - January 27, 2013, 09:55 PM

I'd stick with the real embarrasing verses and junk science hadiths. That would even get muslims to doubt Islam.

It'd be pretty effective IMO.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #13 - January 27, 2013, 11:40 PM

Dude I totally wanna chip in to make this happen. Like I said, no other commentary, just the ayah or hadith.
     Reply #14 - January 27, 2013, 11:46 PM

I'm not sure we'd be able to stretch to it - we just about cover our server costs and stuff!

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #15 - January 28, 2013, 01:05 AM

I'd think the resources would be much better spent on a CEMB billboard with a slogan like.

" Have you Left Islam? Too scared to speak out? 

Then join us at councilofexmuslims.com for an anonymous discussion with people just like you. "

So we can reach out to the ex muslims who need support so they can come and join our community.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #16 - January 28, 2013, 05:48 PM

I looooove the idea of naked, unadulterated ayat and ahadith on billboards. It might even get some Muslims to think w00t
    If I had the money…
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »