Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arif Ahmed

(Read 24903 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What you think Arif Ahmed(debates with William Lane Craig)
     Reply #30 - November 10, 2014, 10:45 PM

Wish it was in London. Seems to be organised by The AHS and Islamic Societies and not IERA, so we might get it unedited.

Reply #31 - November 11, 2014, 11:11 AM

That looks really similar to the poster of a heavy metal festival I will be attending in the near future.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #32 - November 11, 2014, 12:01 PM

well i hope it will be available on the net, i'm too lazy to go all the way to wales lol
     Reply #33 - November 18, 2014, 02:04 PM

I like this comment on the Facebook-thread posted higher up

Abdul Samad It is so weird that there are all of these atheists with Muslim names and you get confused whether Hamza is gonna get into a debate with a Muslim.

Cheesy

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #34 - November 18, 2014, 04:18 PM

I've not seen a few minutes of him (wasn't able to watch more as I was at work) but I was very impressed.
     Reply #35 - November 19, 2014, 10:05 PM

So Hamza gave Arif Ahmed a Coconut Cake, nice racist dig there from Hamza.
     Reply #36 - November 19, 2014, 10:32 PM

Anybody got the linky?

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #37 - November 19, 2014, 11:05 PM

Naaaah...seriously... mysmilie_977

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #38 - November 19, 2014, 11:23 PM

Anybody got the linky?

Just happened today, chill for abit lol
     Reply #39 - November 20, 2014, 12:28 AM

What the hell was the deal with the Coconut Cake comment? Was that supposed to be racist? Is that a particular slur for a desi person? I have never heard that before.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #40 - November 20, 2014, 12:55 AM

What the hell was the deal with the Coconut Cake comment? Was that supposed to be racist? Is that a particular slur for a desi person? I have never heard that before.

In England mostly in ghetto areas it is used as a derogatory insult towards arab/asian/black persons who are seen as having undesirable negative characteristics they commonly associate with white people. Eg "he drinks beer, he's such a f**king coconut"

With a coconut being brown on the outside and white on the inside, the person called a "coconut" is considered to be analogous to that, ie darker skinned but what is perceived as having a dislikeable "white" personality on the inside.

So obviously giving a brown person a coconut cake if not an overt dig implies a more subtle racist dig. I think Arif cos of his background may not have understood the meaning and racist taunt of Hamza giving him a coconut cake. Hamza being a Hackney boy obviously would.

Reply #41 - November 20, 2014, 01:18 AM

Where did Hamza grow up? Tzortzis is of course a Greek name and although a lot of people probably mistake him for Pakistani with the beard he looks Greek. But his accent is (to my early) flawlessly English.

And BTW that is extremely racist. (Edit: and this coming from a guy with a picture of 2 Nazi soldiers fighting in Russia as his avatar lol).

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #42 - November 20, 2014, 02:05 AM

Well they were two Russo-Germanic Nazi soldiers obviously

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #43 - November 20, 2014, 11:50 AM

A picture of the event courtesy of @SaifRRahman

.@AbduraheemGreen invokes Allah for support at start of last nights "Islam or Atheism" debate btwn @HATzortzis & Arif

https://twitter.com/SaifRRahman/status/535338922621300737

here is a post that Hamza posted beforehand too ...

apparently he came with a Coconut Cake, bribery?  Tongue Afro

https://twitter.com/SaifRRahman/status/535191287864246273
     Reply #44 - November 20, 2014, 12:42 PM

nobody can know what it is like for arif ahmed to taste the coconut cake. this is the 'hard problem of consciousness' that science can never explain. Therefore god.
     Reply #45 - November 20, 2014, 02:33 PM

Is that ^ really what the cake was about? A bit weak if so. I would have spiked it with cannabis in the hope Mr Ahmed would have been too laid back to debate properly.
     Reply #46 - November 20, 2014, 02:44 PM

I dont know. It could just be dawah. 'Look how nice muslims are!. They bake cakes for people.'

it could also be a way of demonstrating that he didn't come for an adversarial debate. Limiting the damage of a loss (he didn't lose a debate. He merely participated in a "friendly discussion" -with cake).

Or a prop for his consciousness argument, designed to get a few laughs. Laughs are important when you don't have points.

Reply #47 - November 20, 2014, 04:16 PM

Arif Ahmed - Philosopher
    17 November · Edited

Dr. Ahmed will be debating the popular Muslim apologist, Hamza Andreas Tzortzis, at Cardiff university on the 19th of November.

(Will upload the video as soon as it's released.)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=693063654135069&id=347087602066011
     Reply #48 - November 20, 2014, 06:57 PM

lol at Hamza yet again nicking a outdated old christian apologist argument. The "argument for conciousness" was first advanced by Richard Swinburne in the 80's.  The International Journal for Philosophy of Religion, 1986, Volume 19, Issue 3, pp 127-143 has
    Swinburne's argument from consciousness

Here it's debunked 14 YEARS AGO.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/steven_conifer/ac.html

Has Hamza ever come out with an original argument for islam? I highly doubt it. His IERA "researcher" job seems to be just look up the archives and podcasts of arguments christians have made for their belief then put some islamic dressing on them. Every argument his ever made apart from the quran miracle he has pulled a jack move off Christians.
     Reply #49 - November 20, 2014, 09:47 PM

Arif Ahmed is ACE!!!  Afro

Cool, calm and collected.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #50 - November 20, 2014, 09:52 PM

Perhaps Arif can present him with a  meringue? - White all the way through, seemingly sweet at first, but soon becomes sickly, and the substance and structure of it melts away to practically nothingness the moment you taste it.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #51 - November 20, 2014, 11:04 PM

I would've given Hamza an introductory reader to philosophy.

Or better yet a signed photograph of William Lane Craig.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #52 - November 21, 2014, 12:18 AM

Hamza Andreas Tzortzis
    2 hrs · Edited ·

Last night's debate with Dr. Arif Ahmed was polite and friendly. There were many positives that came out from the debate. Firstly, it shows that university student unions, the debating society, the atheist society, and the Islamic society can work together to promote intellectual discussion in a peaceful and compassionate way. Last night's event was proof that all of this hate and misrepresentation of student Islamic societies and Muslim speakers is baseless. Public, intellectual and peaceful discussion is the way forward, and not lies, misrepresentations and hatred. Secondly, it shows that Islam is not on the back foot and can provide a rational case for its worldview. There are many atheists and sceptics who dismiss Islam as babaric, immoral, irrational and baseless, but these discussions actually show that Islam is an intellectual force to be reckoned with. The depth and level of last night's debate is indicative of that fact.
    I presented three main arguments. Firstly, I argued that God makes sense of our inner subjective conscious states, you can read more about this here http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/…/consciousness-and-the-new-s…/). Secondly, I argued that the Qur'an's linguistic and literary inimitability is best explained by God, you can read my recent essay of the topic here http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/…/gods-testimony-the-inimitab…/. The final argument articulated a powerful reason why we must worship God. The summary of this argument can be found here http://www.iera.org/dawah/gratitude-is-a-form-of-worship.

Dr. Arif Ahmed spent his time trying to find holes in my presentation and only provided one argument in favour of atheism. He presented a form of the problem of evil and suffering argument. I explained to him that his argument was emotional and weak. The problem of evil argument misrepresents the Islamic conception of God. God is not just good and all-powerful, rather He has many names and attributes. These attributes are understood holistically via God’s Oneness. One of His names is The-Wise. Since the very nature of God is wisdom it follows that whatever He wills is in line with wisdom. If something has a wisdom behind it means it has a reason.

To argue that one cannot see or understand the wisdom commits the fallacy of arguing from ignorance. The point here is that just because the wisdom cannot be understood it doesn't mean there is no wisdom. This reasoning is typical of toddlers. Many toddlers get told off by their parents for something they want to do, such as drinking an enticing brown gold liquid, also known as whisky. The toddlers usually cry or have a tantrum because they are thinking how bad mummy and daddy are, but he doesn't realise there is a wisdom that he cannot access.

Dr. Ahmed presented some interesting contention to my arguments. He said that materialism can best explain the hard problem of consciousness (which is the fact that we cannot know, understand or intellectual justify what it is like for someone to have inner subjective experience, or how they arise from physical processes). He presented the following syllogism (if I remember correctly):

1. Physical states cause subjective states
    2. Physical states cause physical events
    3. Therefore, subjective states are physical

I found this quite baffling at first, but then I realised that all he was doing was ignoring the hard problem of consciousness. He was ignoring that which required explaining in the first place. He adopted a type of materialism which is argues that the hard problem of consciousness doesn't exist, but the problem is that you cannot explain inner subjective experience via a materialistic worldview. If you were to know everything about the brain or map out all of the neuro-chemistry you will still not be able to know what it is like for an organism to have an inner subjective experience. In light of the hard problem of consciousness his first premise was not true. The hard problem of consciousness is an argument against the first premise, therefore his logic fails. I brought this up during our discussion.

Another contention he brought up was concerning my view that you cannot have an infinite regress of causes. I argued that you cannot have an infinite regress of conciousness causes, meaning that if a conscious being that caused the universes with conscious beings, was also causes by another conscious being, and that conscious being was also caused by another conscious being, and that went on forever (ad infinitum) you would never have conscious beings in the first place. He developed some thought experiments that essentially were just descriptions of a mathematical infinite and the potential infinite. I argued that although these are true and exist, what I am talking about is the infinite in the physical real world made of physical discrete parts. It simply doesn't exist. I gave him the practical example of an infinite number of people in the auditorium, and if I were to physically take away 5 people away I should have less than the original amount, and therefore should be able to count the now finite amount of people - but I can't. From a mathematical perspective in the room I should still have an infinite number of people, but practically this is impossible. It only works in mathematics because in the philosophy of mathematics the infinite is simply assumed to exist. It is a mathematical axiom, but not a practical truth. I'll explain more about this later.

Dr. Ahmed also raised the issue that it doesn't follow that the Qur'an is from God because people have claimed it is inimitable. He misunderstood the argument. My argument was that God is the best explanation for the Qur'an's inimitability. This is due to the fact that all other possible explanations - an Arab, a Non-Arab and Muhammad (upon whom be peace) - fail to explain the Qur'an's inimitability, once the historical background information is understood (see my essay cited above for more information).
    In the beginning of Dr. Ahmed's presentation he said he was contacted by others to not participate in the debate due to the fact I had "controversial" views (something I reject). I thanked him for being true to his principles by ignoring their calls to boycott the debate. He even said we should do it again. It is not surprising that the people that tried to stop the debate from happening are Islamophobes. However, it should not surprise anyone that they claim to freedom of speech and intellectual discussion, yet fight against it. In other words, they break their principles in order to preserve them. Since they are a hateful, it should not surprise any us.

I am happy Dr. Arif Ahmed and myself showed the haters that we can engage in a peaceful and respectful way. We must let this continue and not allow others to prevent this much needed dialogue.

https://www.facebook.com/HamzaAndreasTzortzis/posts/891199770890458
     Reply #53 - November 21, 2014, 12:35 AM

It is gonna be interesting to see how he managed to jump from "humans have subjective experiences" to "there must be a cosmic super power that knows everything and has infinite power."

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #54 - November 23, 2014, 08:58 PM

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/saifrahman/saifrahman/1106/the-islam-vs-atheism-debate-between-hamza-tzortis-arif-ahmed/

Review from an ex-muslim at debate.
     Reply #55 - November 24, 2014, 02:23 PM

Is the hypothesis "there must be a God because humans have conciousness"? Or am I missing something?

As I understand it he's saying that conscious exists; science cannot, and never will, explain conscious; because of this, the existence of consciousness proves the existence of god.

If I'm right that seems like a dangerous argument, since he's given us a way to categorically disprove the existence of god: Find a scientific explanation for consciousness.

I expect he'll find a wriggle when that happens, though.

http://www.livescience.com/47096-theories-seek-to-explain-consciousness.html
     Reply #56 - November 24, 2014, 02:36 PM

Its a silly argument anyway, because it suggests that if we can't explain something, we can explain it by something that we can't explain.

And its in such broad terms that it doesn't even touch on how it certainly doesn't explain anything about Islam being the one true religion blah blah blah

the utter insipid weakness of these arguments is astonishing

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #57 - November 24, 2014, 02:50 PM

Seriously, in the age of the internet how can so many people be fooled by charlatans like Hamza.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #58 - November 24, 2014, 02:56 PM

I'd say the tactic should be to cede the argument (even though it's clearly very silly) and then prove the non-existence of god by finding that scientific explanation. Imagine the amusement when they have to either concede that god doesn't exist or plead that it was a silly argument they came up with in the first place.
     Reply #59 - November 24, 2014, 02:58 PM

Seriously, in the age of the internet how can so many people be fooled by charlatans like Hamza.

Because they want to be.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »