Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: French Magazine to publish Cartoons of Muhammad

(Read 15990 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: French Magazine to publish Cartoons of Muhammad
     Reply #90 - September 22, 2012, 02:17 PM

Cigarettes and alcohol.

Cheesy That's good! So you don't need much to be high!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #91 - September 22, 2012, 02:42 PM

That's just breakfast.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #92 - September 22, 2012, 02:50 PM

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #93 - September 22, 2012, 03:27 PM

If a culture treats women as second-class citizens, forces them to cover up, denies them any of the rights a man has, the right to autonomy, the right to vote, the right to drive or work, the right to represent themselves in legal matters, approves of physical abuse against them, or takes from them any tiny measure of control of their own body, it is inferior. If a culture systematically mutilates the genitals of children, it is inferior. If a culture indoctrinates children in an ideology instead of educating them, it is inferior. If a culture practices forced unions, child marriage, or holds to a distorted sense of honour that violently punishes objection to these things, it is inferior. If a culture discriminates against, criminalises, imprisons or executes homosexual, bisexual or transgendered people and activity, it is inferior. If a culture practices blasphemy laws, stifles speech and expression, restricts access to the internet or libraries or the free-exchange of ideas and opinions, denies the right to assemble and protest, denies the freedom of and from religion, it is inferior.

How many of these things do we see in cultures with a heavy Islamic influence or those nations ruled by the dictates and philosophy of clerical elite with explicit scriptural support? How many of those said cultures enforce even one of these things in an official capacity?

Reply #94 - September 22, 2012, 05:29 PM

If a culture treats women as second-class citizens, forces them to cover up, denies them any of the rights a man has, the right to autonomy, the right to vote, the right to drive or work, the right to represent themselves in legal matters, approves of physical abuse against them, or takes from them any tiny measure of control of their own body, it is inferior. If a culture systematically mutilates the genitals of children, it is inferior. If a culture indoctrinates children in an ideology instead of educating them, it is inferior. If a culture practices forced unions, child marriage, or holds to a distorted sense of honour that violently punishes objection to these things, it is inferior. If a culture discriminates against, criminalises, imprisons or executes homosexual, bisexual or transgendered people and activity, it is inferior. If a culture practices blasphemy laws, stifles speech and expression, restricts access to the internet or libraries or the free-exchange of ideas and opinions, denies the right to assemble and protest, denies the freedom of and from religion, it is inferior.

How many of these things do we see in cultures with a heavy Islamic influence or those nations ruled by the dictates and philosophy of clerical elite with explicit scriptural support? How many of those said cultures enforce even one of these things in an official capacity?

Damn it seems like CEMB has a truckload full of poets and novelists..  

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #95 - September 22, 2012, 09:55 PM

She really is awesome when she's on form. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #96 - September 22, 2012, 10:05 PM

yes  oh yes....    I think i'm a little bit in love with Ishina  001_wub  yes
     Reply #97 - September 22, 2012, 10:47 PM

^ You’re not the only one! Wink
     Reply #98 - September 23, 2012, 01:04 AM

As a Muslim it is my duty to spread the truth.
    I will be asked on the day of judgement as to
    Why I didnt fulfill my duties. Hence I am here
    And it's the least I can do when there are Muslims
    Willing to give up their lives for the beloved SAW.

Allahuakbar

Reply #99 - September 23, 2012, 01:11 AM

^ You’re not the only one! Wink

what i have competition!!..   

sad ishina  001_wub
     Reply #100 - September 23, 2012, 01:22 AM

Relax you two, she's got enough in her cigarette box for both of you.
     Reply #101 - September 27, 2012, 06:43 PM

Spanish magazine El Jueves follows suit (with something quite thoughtful I think)

"But does anyone knows what Muhammad looks like?"

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #102 - September 27, 2012, 07:08 PM

Genius. They can obviously claim that NONE of them represent Muhammad, haha. Nice!
     Reply #103 - September 27, 2012, 10:50 PM

Great point there. What exactly is a depiction of Mohammed anyway?  Huh?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #104 - September 27, 2012, 11:25 PM

This, perhaps?
     Reply #105 - October 03, 2012, 03:31 PM

If a culture treats women as second-class citizens, forces them to cover up, denies them any of the rights a man has, the right to autonomy, the right to vote, the right to drive or work, the right to represent themselves in legal matters, approves of physical abuse against them, or takes from them any tiny measure of control of their own body, it is inferior.

Well, about 100 years ago, almost every culture was inferior.
    I hope it won't take 100 more years before no culture is inferior anymore grin12.
     Reply #106 - October 03, 2012, 03:35 PM

bunny

Belief is the death of intelligence
     Reply #107 - October 03, 2012, 05:32 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/03/the-reality-of-anti-blasphemy-laws.html

A very good piece on blasphemy laws. I'm on my phone so I can't quote but I'd suggest that everyone read it.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #108 - October 05, 2012, 04:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzW19AUIS1I
     Reply #109 - October 08, 2012, 05:13 PM

Horrible spelling is horrible.
  • French Magazine to publish Cartoons of Muhammad
     Reply #110 - October 29, 2014, 08:36 PM

Moi, your drawing this argument from one book you read and we discussed here at CEMB. The evidence from that book about Arab pastoralists wrecking the agriculture of North Africa was based on one research paper which I believe was produced by a graduate student. Whilst I think it is a fascinating study and very believable, I would rather wait for peer review of the idea from other academics in the field before accepting it and posting it all over the internet as fact.

What happens if in a year from now, an expert in the field of climate change or history looks at the theory and tears it apart as nonsense? You will feel pretty dumb for having spouted off about it then. Let's keep calm headed and stick to criticizing Islam based on well substantiated facts and then when these assertions in Scott's book have been supported with stronger evidence, then we can add that to the arsenal of criticisms, but not yet.

Another paper on this idea with some pretty good evidence:

LOWDERMILK, W C. "CONQUEST OF THE LAND THROUGH SEVEN THOUSAND YEARS".
     First published as USDA Bulletin No. 99, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1939
    http://www.wasco.oacd.org/linked/conquest.pdf

Check out pages 15-19

And conclusion:

While the land of North Africa has been seriously damaged, as one can see written on
    landscape after landscape, the country is still capable of far greater than its present production.
    In Roman times a high degree of conservation of soils and waters was reached with an intensive
    culture of orchards and vineyards on the slopes and intensive grain growing in the valleys.

All this depended on efficient conservation and use of the rainfall. We find numerous references
    to such practices in the literature of the time. But, as nomads swept in out of the desert, their
    extensive and exploitive grazing culture replaced these highly refined measures of land use and
    let them fall into disuse and ruin. Erosion was unleashed on its destructive course, and the
    capacity of the land to support people was seriously reduced.
    The veteran student of North Africa, Professor Gautier, answered my query as to whether
    climate of North Africa had changed since Roman times, in the following way: "We have no
    evidence to indicate that the climate has changed in an important degree since Roman times, but
    the people have changed."

We conclude that the decline of North Africa is due to a change in a people and more especially
    to a change in culture and methods of use of land that replaced a highly developed and intensive
    agriculture and that allowed erosion to waste away the land and to change the regime of waters.

Note that this is not a new paper, but the author was a renown expert on soil conservation.
     Reply #111 - October 30, 2014, 01:17 AM

Spanish magazine El Jueves follows suit (with something quite thoughtful I think)

(Clicky for piccy!)

"But does anyone knows what Muhammad looks like?"

my favourite Spanish publication. El Jueves ( Thursday) La Revista que sale los miercoles( the magazine that comes out on Wednesdays)   Cheesy

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #112 - October 30, 2014, 01:26 AM

Re. goats and Bedouins, David Abulafia has this to say in The Great Sea (Penguin 2011):

From 1062 to 1108 Mahdia (in Tunisia) was ruled by a single vigorous emir, Tamin, who enriched himself not just from trade but from pirate attacks on Nicotera in Calabria and Mazara in Sicily. He was a thorough nuisance to his close neighbours. The Fatimids foolishly unleashed Bedouin armies (the Banu Hillal and the Banu Sulaym) who, they thought, would bring Tunisia back to Egyptian allegiance. In the end the Bedouins merely increased the disorder, and damaged the countryside beyond repair, so that the inhabitants of North Africa became dependent on Sicilian grain, after so many centuries during which Tunisia had been a bread basket of the Mediterranean.

Reply #113 - October 30, 2014, 07:09 AM

I don't know, there is a difference between freedom of expression, and expression motivated by spite, and considering the riots recently, it does seem that publishing these cartoons so soon after is motivated more out of spite, a sort of "watch me make these mother fuckers go wild" again.

It's retarded, but oh well, freedom of expression and all that.  Jolly good, lets get those muzzies. 

This!

In retrospect to this thread and I'm sure a number of people aren't going to agree with me here but I cbaf. I must say I'm disgusted with most of the posts of this thread including mine which I wish I could have been wise enough not to post that.This isn't about the fact that depicting Mohammed is haram because its still debatable in a muslim world plus they have been depiction of Mohammed from Abbasid to Ottoman caliphate era without any violence or riots.The problem I have with the cartoon drawings is how they are depicted in a prejudiced manner which I believe Muslims have the right to be offended if the magazine's motivation is to spite them.

Its like mocking someone and if he reacts violently against you, you call him a "bully" "madman" and other sorts of name. I don't see any sense of publishing those cartoons if you are going to spite a group of people, there is a better way of challenging Islam other than this

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #114 - October 30, 2014, 08:47 AM

.............. there is a better way of challenging Islam other than this..............

Cato give me some examples of that ..

Open a folder "better ways to  challenging Islam" and teach the readers on that...  

And give me your opinion  on this Video from AMRIKA APPLE PIE

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #115 - October 31, 2014, 01:10 PM

This!

In retrospect to this thread and I'm sure a number of people aren't going to agree with me here but I cbaf. I must say I'm disgusted with most of the posts of this thread including mine which I wish I could have been wise enough not to post that.This isn't about the fact that depicting Mohammed is haram because its still debatable in a muslim world plus they have been depiction of Mohammed from Abbasid to Ottoman caliphate era without any violence or riots.The problem I have with the cartoon drawings is how they are depicted in a prejudiced manner which I believe Muslims have the right to be offended if the magazine's motivation is to spite them.

Its like mocking someone and if he reacts violently against you, you call him a "bully" "madman" and other sorts of name. I don't see any sense of publishing those cartoons if you are going to spite a group of people, there is a better way of challenging Islam other than this

Can't disagree with you more. I don't think it was about mocking muslims more challenging an attitude that goes against the central tenets of a more enlightened society,namely Freedom of Speech. I am offended by cries for the death of those who speak their minds but who gives a fuck if I'm offended by it.
    Sure there will be fuckwits who will use it to disparage muslims in general for it but those neanderthals will always find an excuse  to vent their hatred. I honestly believe this is a supportive action for our values and not an attack on muslims. Those that are offended by it to the point of violence have more in common with our neanderthals than they would care to admit.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #116 - October 31, 2014, 01:24 PM

Offend in Every Way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFKho5oEi0
    With wit, devilry and intelligence when sober. With courtesy always.
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »