Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muhammad & Aisha article in Guardian... comment now!

(Read 45246 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Muhammad & Aisha article in Guardian... comment now!
     Reply #60 - September 18, 2012, 12:23 PM

Oh I got it! Lol finally I remembered something about marriage in the Quran. This verse is taken from the chapter of divorce. It's not about when marriage is valid but about divorce:

اللَّائِي يَئِسْنَ مِنَ الْمَحِيضِ مِن نِّسَائِكُمْ إِنِ ارْتَبْتُمْ فَعِدَّتُهُنَّ ثَلَاثَةُ أَشْهُرٍ وَاللَّائِي لَمْ يَحِضْنَ وَأُوْلَاتُ الْأَحْمَالِ أَجَلُهُنَّ أَن يَضَعْنَ حَمْلَهُنَّ وَمَن يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَل لَّهُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ يُسْرًا

"Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy. " [65:4]

That part shows that it's fine in Islam to marry girls who didn't even have their first period.

Good one, i totally forgot about that one.

Seems you can marry without her consent as a grown adult. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #61 - September 18, 2012, 12:50 PM

I'm not defining a woman as being a woman because she has a period, I was saying she isn't, that's just the islamic justification for why you can have sex with young girls.

As to what makes a woman, as in someone old enough to have sex with?  dodgy area to put a number on, 15-16 is still young but it happens so often in the UK I'm guessing that's the age that people want to try having sex themselves.  still doesn't make them women as in mature adults since they don't fully understand the consequences as well as age and wisdom will.

I find it hard to say an age since it varies for each individual, I can't even say when she feels ready since she can be groomed to feel ready sooner.

I'm just saying I think that bleeding doesn't all of the sudden make her old enough for sex.

Aham I see.

@ Yume89:

Good stuff.

Reply #62 - September 18, 2012, 01:06 PM

http://qasimrashid.com/2012/09/17/ayeshas-age-at-the-time-of-her-marriage/

Knock yourselves out.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #63 - September 18, 2012, 01:21 PM

"Is it acceptable to marry a girl who has not yet started her menses?"
    http://islamqa.info/en/ref/12708
     Reply #64 - September 18, 2012, 01:26 PM

I'm interested as to where the account of Aisha being 19 came from.

Me too, since that would mean they were married for only about a year at most before Mo died.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #65 - September 18, 2012, 01:46 PM

I like how Muslims are fixated on the marriage part rather than the middle-aged man sticking his adult penis in a 9 year old child's vagina part. Like if they can justify the marriage part they have magically justified the child rape part.

It's also pretty funny seeing the whataboutery equivalence to Mary who was 12 or 13 according to guesses. They conveniently forget the part about her being a virgin and remaining a virgin.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #66 - September 18, 2012, 02:07 PM

this article is frustrating because it is deceptive.
    This girl knows that "different time; different place" is a response that is likely to go down pretty well with a liberal western audience who will shirk at the thought of judging another society.

The problem is that she is a Muslim. She can't possibly believe that morality is relative to culture. She believes not only that morality is objective, but that Muhammed himself was a messenger with divine knowledge of what is right and wrong.

Does she believe that the quran is a source of objective morality or not?
    Does she believe that Muhammed should be emulated or not?
    Does she want her halal cake, or does she want to eat it?

Reply #67 - September 18, 2012, 02:17 PM

^ Precisely! The whole different times thing avoids the fact that Muhammad is seen by muslims as an eternal example for mankind to follow.
     Reply #68 - September 18, 2012, 02:47 PM

As to what makes a woman, as in someone old enough to have sex with?  dodgy area to put a number on, 15-16 is still young but it happens so often in the UK I'm guessing that's the age that people want to try having sex themselves.  still doesn't make them women as in mature adults since they don't fully understand the consequences as well as age and wisdom will.

Plus, when a 15 - 16 year old wants to have sex and experiment they do so consensually with a boyfriend around their own age, more or less. They don't get betrothed to a 50 year old man by their parents in order to do so.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #69 - September 18, 2012, 03:09 PM

Oh I got it! Lol finally I remembered something about marriage in the Quran. This verse is taken from the chapter of divorce. It's not about when marriage is valid but about divorce:

اللَّائِي يَئِسْنَ مِنَ الْمَحِيضِ مِن نِّسَائِكُمْ إِنِ ارْتَبْتُمْ فَعِدَّتُهُنَّ ثَلَاثَةُ أَشْهُرٍ وَاللَّائِي لَمْ يَحِضْنَ وَأُوْلَاتُ الْأَحْمَالِ أَجَلُهُنَّ أَن يَضَعْنَ حَمْلَهُنَّ وَمَن يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَل لَّهُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ يُسْرًا

"Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy. " [65:4]

That part shows that it's fine in Islam to marry girls who didn't even have their first period.

Thanks Yume. I think we live in a partly dishonest world where things like this are not addressed properly, even in secular societies like Britain.

There should be a game called 'What would Myriam Francois-Cerrah say?'

The rules of the game are simple. Every time a morally indefensible aspect of Islamic scripture, theology or history is raised, you have to imagine what Myriam Francois-Cerrah would say in the Guardian in order to whitewash, deny, apologise and dawah-gandise for.

Here's what Myriam Francois-Cerrah might say about that verse:

"It is alleged by many Orientalist Islamophobes that the chapter of divorce in the Quran suggests that it is permissible to marry pre-pubescent girls.

Whilst that may appear to be the case, and it certainly might appear so to an eye untrained in ancient Arabic and Islamic female liberation theology, that is also saturated in unconscious, subliminal orientalist bias, we have to take into account racist stereotypes of Muslim women who wear the hijab when addressing this concern.

Some might suggest that members of a European civilisation with a legacy of colonialism, that only in the last centruy killed pre-pubescent girls in the Holocaust, might be more circumspect about casting judgment on this verse in this manner.

As I said in my lecture at the Oxford school of Islamic studies, prepubescent girls in Britain are raped by the male gaze every day. As Tariq Ramadan and Karen Armstrong point out, it was the Quran that gave them statutory rights 1400 years ago, in accordance with the egalitarian, universal, liberal and secular ethos that the Prophet Muhammad instituted, and was carried forward in Islamic Spain, before Christian extremists ate all the Muslims who lived there, in a display of cannibalism that even today is covered up by a Europe in denial of its Islamic origins"

God is Love.

Reply #70 - September 18, 2012, 03:31 PM

This girl knows that "different time; different place" is a response that is likely to go down pretty well with a liberal western audience who will shirk at the thought of judging another society.

The problem is that she is a Muslim. She can't possibly believe that morality is relative to culture. She believes not only that morality is objective, but that Muhammed himself was a messenger with divine knowledge of what is right and wrong.

Does she believe that the quran is a source of objective morality or not?

Does she believe that the quran is a source of objective morality or not? Afro

Afro Good post Doctor. In fact, there's top quality posts throughout the thread, but I decided to pick on you today.

Edit: it was so good that it was worth quoting twice. And I also deliberately have included a Spot the Difference competition within the two quotes

Hi
     Reply #71 - September 18, 2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks Yume. I think we live in a partly dishonest world where things like this are not addressed properly, even in secular societies like Britain.

There should be a game called 'What would Myriam Francois-Cerrah say?'

The rules of the game are simple. Every time a morally indefensible aspect of Islamic scripture, theology or history is raised, you have to imagine what Myriam Francois-Cerrah would say in the Guardian in order to whitewash, deny, apologise and dawah-gandise for.

Here's what Myriam Francois-Cerrah might say about that verse:

"It is alleged by many Orientalist Islamophobes that the chapter of divorce in the Quran suggests that it is permissible to marry pre-pubescent girls.

Whilst that may appear to be the case, and it certainly might appear so to an eye untrained in ancient Arabic and Islamic female liberation theology, that is also saturated in unconscious, subliminal orientalist bias, we have to take into account racist stereotypes of Muslim women who wear the hijab when addressing this concern.

Some might suggest that members of a European civilisation with a legacy of colonialism, that only in the last centruy killed pre-pubescent girls in the Holocaust, might be more circumspect about casting judgment on this verse in this manner.

As I said in my lecture at the Oxford school of Islamic studies, prepubescent girls in Britain are raped by the male gaze every day. As Tariq Ramadan and Karen Armstrong point out, it was the Quran that gave them statutory rights 1400 years ago, in accordance with the egalitarian, universal, liberal and secular ethos that the Prophet Muhammad instituted, and was carried forward in Islamic Spain, before Christian extremists ate all the Muslims who lived there, in a display of cannibalism that even today is covered up by a Europe in denial of its Islamic origins"

Very dishonest  finmad

I can't believe things are this complicated when it comes Islam in the West!!!!!!!!
     Reply #72 - September 18, 2012, 04:07 PM

I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.
    Arthur Hays Sulzberger

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Terry Pratchett

Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    Roberto Cavalli

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #73 - September 18, 2012, 04:08 PM

I thought different time and different place became an old argument that's been refuted many times and no one uses today (I myself used it when I defended Islam when I was younger/Muslim).

I wonder if she feels really satisfied with what she's doing!!
     Reply #74 - September 18, 2012, 04:18 PM

That's why you should always monitor what enters your open mind,people can easily put things into it!  Cheesy  Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #75 - September 18, 2012, 04:33 PM

Me too, since that would mean they were married for only about a year at most before Mo died.

So it's more convenient to say she was 14/16, then?

The Fifth Argument

According to the generally accepted tradition, Ayesha (ra) was born about eight years before Hijrah. But according to another narrative in Bukhari (Kitaab al-Tafseer) Ayesha (ra) is reported to have said that at the time Surah Al-Qamar, the 54th chapter of the Qur’an , was revealed, “I was a young girl”. The 54th Surah of the Qur’an was revealed nine years before Hijrah. According to this tradition, Ayesha (ra) had not only been born before the revelation of the referred surah, but was actually a young girl (jariyah), not an infant (sibyah) at that time. Obviously, if this narrative is held to be true, it is in clear contradiction with the narratives reported by Hisham ibn `urwah. I see absolutely no reason that after the comments of the experts on the narratives of Hisham ibn `urwah, why we should not accept this narrative to be more accurate.

The actual statements referred to in the above paragraph, their translations and their complete references are given below:

Ayesha (ra) said: I was a young girl, when verse 46 of Surah Al-Qamar, [the 54th chapter of the Qur'an ], was revealed. (Sahih Bukhari, Kitaab al-Tafseer, Arabic, Bab Qaulihi Bal al-saa`atu Maw`iduhum wa al-sa`atu adhaa wa amarr)

Ayesha was married after Hijrah (migration). Thus, if she could recall that Chapter 54 was revealed, she must have been at least 3-5 years old, plus the 9 years before hijrah, which places her at 12-14 before Hijrah and at least 14-16 before marriage. This makes it impossible that she was 9.

The Sixth Argument

According to a number of narratives, Ayesha (ra) accompanied the Muslims in the battle of Badr and Uhud. Furthermore, it is also reported in books of hadith and history that no one under the age of 15 years was allowed to take part in the battle of Uhud. All the boys below 15 years of age were sent back. Ayesha‘s (ra) participation in the battle of Badr and Uhud clearly indicate that she was not nine or ten years old at that time. After all, women used to accompany men to the battle fields to help them, not to be a burden on them.

A narrative regarding Ayesha‘s (ra) participation in Badr is given in Muslim, Kitaab al-jihaad wa al-siyar, Arabic, Bab karahiyah al-isti`anah fi al-ghazwi bikafir. Ayesha (ra) while narrating the journey to Badr and one of the important events that took place in that journey, says:

When we reached Shajarah.

It is quite obvious from these words that Ayesha (ra) was with the group traveling toward Badr.

A narrative regarding Ayesha‘s (ra) participation in the battle of `uhud is given in Bukhari, Kitaab al-jihaad wa al-siyar, Arabic, Baab Ghazwi al-nisaa wa   qitalihinna ma`a al-rijaal.

Anas reports that On the day of Uhud, people could not stand their ground around the Prophet  (pbuh). [On that day,] I saw Ayesha (ra) and Umm-e-Sulaim (ra), they had pulled their dress up from their feet [to save them from any hindrance in their movement].”

As far as the fact that children below 15 years were sent back and were not allowed to participate in the battle of `uhud, it is narrated in Bukhari, Kitaab al-maghaazi, Baab ghazwah al-khandaq wa hiya al-ahzaab, Arabic.

Ibn `umar (ra) states that the Prophet  (pbuh) did not permit me to participate in Uhud, as at that time, I was fourteen years old. But on the day of Khandaq, when I was fifteen years old, the Prophet (pbuh) permitted my participation.”

This battle took place before Ayesha’s marriage to Prophet Muhammad, so now we see that she was at least 15-16 years old.

The Seventh Argument

According to almost all the historians Asma (ra), the elder sister of Ayesha (ra) was ten years older than Ayesha (ra). It is reported in Taqreeb al-Tehzeeb as well as Al-Bidaayah wa al-Nihayah that Asma (ra) died in 73 hijrah when she was 100 years old. Now, obviously if Asma (ra) was 100 years old in 73 hijrah she should have been 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah. If Asma (ra) was 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah, Ayesha (ra) should have been 17 or 18 years old at that time. Thus, Ayesha (ra), if she got married in 1 AH (after hijrah) or 2 AH, was between 18 to 20 years old at the time of her marriage.

Too many accounts, a lot of which contradict. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go through all of it.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #76 - September 18, 2012, 04:48 PM

LOL billy you've captured her voice exactly. Grin

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #77 - September 18, 2012, 05:23 PM

I'm gonna email the Guardian !!  Cry
     Reply #78 - September 18, 2012, 05:40 PM

So it's more convenient to say she was 14/16, then?
    Too many accounts, a lot of which contradict. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go through all of it.

Yeah but that doesn't prove Aisha was 15 or 18 when the marriage got consumed, the only thing this proves is inconsistencies in the accounts when these things happened, there is obviously a lot of inconsistency but there is no confusion about the age of Aisha, it is clearly stated she was 6 when she got married and 9 when the marriage got consumed, u can always find this kind of discrepancies in history but that only proves that there are discrepancies that is all it doesn't prove Aisha was 18.

Reply #79 - September 18, 2012, 05:50 PM

Would a tee shirt for nine year old Muslim girls with a picture of Uncle Mo and the text I love Uncle Mo help?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #80 - September 18, 2012, 06:11 PM

Yeah but that doesn't prove Aisha was 15 or 18 when the marriage got consumed, the only thing this proves is inconsistencies in the accounts when these things happened, there is obviously a lot of inconsistency but there is no confusion about the age of Aisha, it is clearly stated she was 6 when she got married and 9 when the marriage got consumed, u can always find this kind of discrepancies in history but that only proves that there are discrepancies that is all it doesn't prove Aisha was 18.

I'm just trying to understand how the people who say that would rationalize it.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #81 - September 18, 2012, 07:19 PM

^ By rejecting sahih ahadith, that’s how.
     Reply #82 - September 18, 2012, 07:37 PM

^^^And if they do that, all the walls come tumbling down.....

God is Love.

Reply #83 - September 18, 2012, 08:30 PM

Apparently Shias claim she is a liar and lied about her age regarding this to "dishonor" the prophet. There was a lecture about this by a Shia cleric posted on YouTube.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #84 - September 18, 2012, 08:46 PM

Yep. They love to vilify Aisha. I didn't even know the Sunni accounts about Aisha until I was well on my way to apostasy and researched other brands of Islam. Shias are just pissed because grandpa Mo didn't leave clear instructions for what to do with his cult after he croaked.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #85 - September 18, 2012, 10:09 PM

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #86 - September 22, 2012, 10:47 AM

Well I think this is generally the case of the left in the West. I consider myself to align with the left on most issues except their attitude to Islam. I have trouble rationalizing why the left pays so much lip service to Islamic apologia. I used to think that it was simply ignorance about Islam. But that doesn't explain why some leftists who have spent their lives studying the Middle East and are even fluent in Arabic stilll fail to recognize or discuss amy of the unsavory apsects of Islam.

The only explanation I can think is a combination of being afraid of violence and not caring enough about it. (i.e. Islam does not affect them or their own families so why risk upsetting a bunch of angry fanatics when your own society has nothing to gain from it). But still this does not explain it fully because usually leftists will go out of their way to highlight the plight of some poor, opressed people on the other side of the world. The only explanation can be that the threat of violence is so real and so strong that they decide it is not something they want to tackle....

This is a  FB comment from one of my friends (who is cultural Christian) ;

im terribly sorry for the blasphemy made by the atheic "egyptian" pig (if he can call himself an egyptian) im not from europe or middle east but i feel sorry for such an offense, and a bit scared by the reaction of fervorous muslims that can turn into radicals. dont give the westies what they want, dont rush on violence, be stronger and stand agressively pacific, that is what they hate.

Note ''atheic pig (he meant atheist pig) . I have never seen that same guy feeling sorry for that Christian girl in Pakistan, or for Copts christians in Egypt, or for those jewish kids killed in France.

Because it's so sexy and rebellious to care about tender  emotions of 1,5 billion muslims.

Isn't it funny how cats can understand people without ever reading a single psychology book?
     Reply #87 - September 25, 2012, 06:26 AM

Hmm I missed  reading that one.,  That is exactly what happens when a brainless women in high profile career such as film industry/Sports  gets converted in to Islam .. That stupid lady converted in to Islam in 2003 and now writes silly articles on History of Islam . This fool didn't even finish reading high school history  books but she writes as if she is an expert of an obscure very little known character  of Islam.

Such is the power of brain washing from cults. This fool was born as Emilie Francois  to a French/ Irish parents converted into Islam after dating a turkish guy in ~2002 or so now talks about History of Islam.

That is indeed a problem for Muslims and educating public about Islam. It is easy to rip that article in to shreds as it is simply a parrot talks that we often see from Islamic intellectuals . She is using same basic Islamic techniques of defending the stupidity in the faith.  She thinks she is mart but what she doesn't know is  that she is defending Islamic stories with usual methods such as  being vague, guilt by association, Name Dropping, Flattery, Use/abuse of other similar religious stories,  straw man dialogues and what not .

Mock the fools and move on...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #88 - September 25, 2012, 07:49 AM

the guardian really has been on a downward spiral with it's regressive neo-left agenda and coallition with theocratic fascists becos of their mutual anti-american agenda...

then it stoops even lower with paedophilia apologetic articles
     Reply #89 - September 25, 2012, 08:18 AM

Hmm I missed  reading that one.,  That is exactly what happens when a brainless women in high profile career such as film industry/Sports  gets converted in to Islam .. That stupid lady converted in to Islam in 2003 and now writes silly articles on History of Islam . This fool didn't even finish reading high school history  books but she writes as if she is an expert of an obscure very little known character  of Islam.

(Clicky for piccy!)

Such is the power of brain washing from cults. This fool was born as Emilie Francois  to a French/ Irish parents converted into Islam after dating a turkish guy in ~2002 or so now talks about History of Islam.

That is indeed a problem for Muslims and educating public about Islam. It is easy to rip that article in to shreds as it is simply a parrot talks that we often see from Islamic intellectuals . She is using same basic Islamic techniques of defending the stupidity in the faith.  She thinks she is mart but what she doesn't know is  that she is defending Islamic stories with usual methods such as  being vague, guilt by association, Name Dropping, Flattery, Use/abuse of other similar religious stories,  straw man dialogues and what not .

Mock the fools and move on...

finmad

By the way, I thought her article was really silly. I mean, she didn't really have strong arguments -_- I've heard them hundreds of times. She was probably repeating what she heard from some sheikhs.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »