Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Xiis-ExMuslim Somalilander Story

(Read 4427 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Xiis-ExMuslim Somalilander Story
     OP - August 15, 2012, 06:16 AM

Here goes.....

I have always had doubts but was told that I didnt understand Classical Arabic, needed "Scholars" to decrypt the immoral, sexist, false scientific claims of the quran, or was a mere mortal and in no place to judge Allah.  I didn’t know any Somali atheists or ex muslims that I could speak to.  I was also afraid of asking people outside of the muslim culture because we were always taught that non-Muslims were hell bent on leading you astray.  I felt that I would not get the full story from them.

This coupled with the fact that I am a homosexual didn’t help the situation.   I can remember being afraid to think thoughts that would lead me to question Islam.   

I remember one day I was on the bus and saw a beautiful girl, she smiled at me and I felt happy and shy right after that the guilt set in.  Here I was 15 years old feeling guilty of having a simple human reaction of joy/slight crush.  How can I live if my own mind is not a refuge!  What started out as a beautiful moment on that bus, lead me to tears.

This started a small insurrection in my mind, I was still too fearful and indoctrinated to speak out and demand more concrete answers, but silently I began to question.  For instance whenever someone would mention anything about hadith, quran, or sunnah I would make it a point to judge it without fear.  It was hard, sometimes I would fail because of fear of hell, but sometimes I would win.

I grew older, found out how bogus the miracles the quran claims were, and how insane it is to seek a moral compass in a religion that’s immoral.

I grew bolder and decided to come out to my mother.  She beat me and said she should have left me to die back home if this was how I would turn out.  Heartbreaking to say the least.  I didn’t tell her I was also in the process of leaving Islam, I wanted to test the waters, but this showed me where I stood and what I needed to do.

Many people don’t know just how hard it is to question, sometimes the answer is right there but because of all the fear that religion has cultivated it’s like you’re reading something completely different than what everyone else is.

The best part is when you have gotten to the point of such strength of mind that you realize you don’t even fear if this horrible god did exist because if this god did exist then who needs the devil!

Also it’s easy to look on muslims or other religious people and laugh or mock them but it’s truly a beautiful and terrifying thing when you can look with compassion, even at your own mother who is beating you and spitting in your face but still has the audacity to claim the higher moral ground.

When you get to the point that there is no question they can throw at you that you can’t answer, when there isn’t any threat  physical or otherwise that doesn’t inspire fear in you, if there is something divine then its that moment.

bunny Afro
    Have a great day guys!

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Re: Xiis-ExMuslim Somalilander Story
     Reply #1 - August 15, 2012, 07:59 AM

When you get to the point that there is no question they can throw at you that you can’t answer, when there isn’t any threat  physical or otherwise that doesn’t inspire fear in you, if there is something divine then its that moment.

clap WOW! great punch line and I empathize with it fully!

The supposedly mesmeric quality of Islam has always intrigued me. I suppose in an age of readymades  and quick fixes a lot of people find the reductionist claptrap of Islam very attractive.
    Islam is very neurotic about the important greys of life.

WELCOME

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #2 - August 15, 2012, 01:05 PM

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Xiis Smiley

I took the liberty of moving it to this section as I believe it's more appropriate than the introduction one.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #3 - August 15, 2012, 01:27 PM

Interesting read, welcome to the forum Smiley

Reply #4 - March 05, 2013, 01:04 PM

Just read this, feel for you bro.

I remember just some years ago when I was muslim I used to hate gays with passion, and for absolutely no other reason other than Islam said it was disgusting and Muhammad instructed to kill both the one "on the top and bottom". Gay, atheist and Somali...that's real tough, hope you make it out though.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward
     Reply #5 - March 05, 2013, 01:26 PM

Beautifully written Xiis Afro

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you; being closeted about both your sexuality and apostasy. You seem like a smart and tough girl, and I hope you pull through. Scratch that naya, I know you can pull through.

Also it’s easy to look on muslims or other religious people and laugh or mock them but it’s truly a beautiful and terrifying thing when you can look with compassion, even at your own mother who is beating you and spitting in your face but still has the audacity to claim the higher moral ground.

You've got a heart of gold Smiley A lot of people in your situation would be jaded and bitter beyond recognition by now. Good luck walal Afro
     Reply #6 - March 05, 2013, 06:48 PM

Its great seeing more and more somalis leaving Islam. I feel for ya on the homosexuality thing too. It used to leave me confused an ashamed. Welcome to the CEMB family  far away hug

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
    (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
    A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
     Reply #7 - February 05, 2016, 06:57 PM

Its really awesome to see a Somali ex Muslim, I'm also Somali and I'm literally terrified of coming out to my family as a ex Muslim as they are strictly practicing.
     Reply #8 - February 05, 2016, 08:24 PM

There are lots of Somali Ex-Muslims.

In fact there are lots of Ex-Muslims from every Muslim country you can imagine.

The first thing you need to learn is that you're not the only one. You are not a freak. You are not bad. You are not evil.
     Reply #9 - February 05, 2016, 09:57 PM

dance dance dance

Tired of the bull-shit. I write my own doctrines.
     Reply #10 - February 07, 2016, 11:26 PM

The first thing you need to learn is that you're not the only one. You are not a freak. You are not bad. You are not evil.

Thanks, it can be hard at times to believe in that especially when you have people who think that it's absolutely crazy and arrogant not to believe in Islam. But if there's one thing I trust it's my reason, logic and genuine sincerity to what to know the truth with the utmost unbias (which I refuse to give up to anything even religion) and so if that makes me a freak then heck! I'm proud to be one. Wink
     Reply #11 - February 08, 2016, 10:37 PM

I am  here with you. You are not the only one.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »