Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are you passionate about things? How? Why?

(Read 7669 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Are you passionate about things? How? Why?
     OP - July 15, 2012, 07:17 PM

I have a beef with this thread: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=20957.0

The thing is, I don't think that hobbies and interests are really the same thing as passions, and IMO that thread is filled with examples of people describing simple hobbies and interests. For example, I could have listed rock 'n' roll and anime among my "passions" in that list using the criteria that most people seemed to use, but I didn't. My enjoyment and appreciation of those things are on a very superficial level, and I don't think that my life would be any less meaningful if those two things ceased to exist.

For me a passion has to be something that inspires and motivates you, something that enriches your life in a fundamental way. Most of the time, for me, that means crossing the threshold of consumption into active participation or creation.

So yeah, I'm wondering if anyone here has or would discuss these kinds of passions. What is the extent that you engage in these passions, and how and why does it move you as it does?

Also, if your children or family are your "passion" please refrain from discussing that.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Re: Are you passionate about things? How? Why?
     Reply #1 - July 15, 2012, 07:50 PM

Also, if your children or family are your "passion" please refrain from discussing that.

that's cold

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #2 - July 15, 2012, 09:42 PM

Thing is asbie, you might find only a few things to be passionate about, you might find that you are only passionate about more serious "proper" things, or maybe even just one thing, or something that other's would respect, but not everyone is like you.

I'm passionate about so many things, things that are hobbies, things that simple, plain every day things, but I'm still passionate about them, and I'd have to say just as passionate as anyone else (well almost anyone else).

Why should one only be passionate about more serious whatever you happen to think passion is about?! Why can't it be about simple hobbies and interests as you described? Why?!

Who said the world has to fit that tiny box you've described? Who said that we aren't all different and what you might find as something that isn't/couldn't possibly be something worthy being passionate about, someone else might find to be what gets them up in the morning and makes them want to dance through their day and gets them excited and jubilant and gets their pulse racing and their mind feels like it's sparking off creativity and thoughts and making awesome connections in their brain 'cause they are in their element?!

Yes, I'm passionate about simple hobbies and interests. Yes, I'm passionate about things you'd probably scoff at. I'm not going to let myself be boxed in by what someone would consider to be important and therefore worthy of being passionate about and all the rest.

I thought that was one of your passions, ergo you mentioned that some of your closest family members were you passion in the other thread (the one you linked to)... isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?

And yeah, I'd have to agree with Blade Gunner, that is cold.
     Reply #3 - July 16, 2012, 02:40 AM

Hehe. Well I kinda wanted to promote a philosophical discussion on what it means to be passionate about something. For that purpose, I don't think describing passion for family or children is particularly demonstrative, as it's more primordial.

And I know that not everyone is like me or thinks like me. That's why I wanted to hear others' opinion on the matter.  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - July 31, 2012, 09:14 PM

The experience of passion is a mind consuming , absorbing, exuberance for something. Things, objects themselves aren't passions. It's the way they make us feel.electrical impulses interpreted one way or another that bring up positive , exciting associations. So you can be passionate about a book or an idea, or your dog.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #5 - August 14, 2012, 11:24 AM

Thing is asbie, you might find only a few things to be passionate about, you might find that you are only passionate about more serious "proper" things, or maybe even just one thing, or something that other's would respect, but not everyone is like you. [...]

Yes, I'm passionate about simple hobbies and interests. Yes, I'm passionate about things you'd probably scoff at. I'm not going to let myself be boxed in by what someone would consider to be important and therefore worthy of being passionate about and all the rest.

No idea what caused such a defensive post. I think he made a good point. I'd also make the distinction between a passion and an interest.

If I was to list my interests, it'd be a thousand pages long and incomplete. If I was to list my passions, it'd be only a few. If I asked someone what were their passions in life and they started listing everything they were interested in, my eyes would glaze over in boredom.

Like asbie mentioned, he has an interest in anime. Me too. Just an interest. It's not my first choice movie genre, but I have a few faves. If someone started talking about the anime they'd seen, that'd be a nice fun conversation to pass the time. Assuming they mentioned some decent ones. I'd probably be genuinely interested for a few mins. But if they started talking about the philosophical themes of Ghost In The Shell, wow! Now they've got me all night. Now I'm gonna get passionate.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #6 - August 14, 2012, 11:38 AM

Love, sex, words, plants, beer.
     Reply #7 - August 15, 2012, 03:38 AM

nvm
     Reply #8 - August 22, 2012, 02:32 AM

Communism

fuck you
     Reply #9 - August 22, 2012, 06:10 AM

Business(you know, buying and selling),History and Music.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #10 - August 22, 2012, 08:23 PM

Sometimes I can't tell the difference between passion and addiction.

I enjoy music, rave, people, art, words, exercise, fitness, pleasure, to the degree that I go mad and irritable if I don't get them. I'm not the most chilled of people. I need to be shoving fistfuls of sounds, visuals, words, conversation, information, drink, fags, substances, sustenance, into me or getting rid of excess energy at all times. I'm a needy person. An addict. A deep need of constant attention and stimulation plus a short concentration span means I must be impossible to live with.

Is there a difference between passion and addiction?

Reply #11 - August 22, 2012, 08:28 PM

I'm not the most chilled of people.

Well I never.

You're fab, though, and that's what counts.
     Reply #12 - August 22, 2012, 08:36 PM

*blows kiss*

Reply #13 - August 22, 2012, 08:46 PM

I'm generally a hot-blooded person so I am passionate about quite a lot of things. Music, for one. I've always wished I could sing or play an instrument, evoke emotion in others, but I am more than content just being the audience. And little things I suppose. Running as the sun sets over the canal. Post workout highs. A tasty new book I can sink my teeth into   Smiley

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #14 - August 22, 2012, 09:05 PM

I'm passionate about life itself as it is precious & making sure I live it & try to enjoy it but also I find pleasure in the simplest things sometimes like the sight of a sunset or a full moon or stars or the sound of a flowing river. I think one of the most important things is definitely People (family, friends etc) - having social contact even with people you may not necessarily like is extremely important & beneficial to your overall well being.

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #15 - August 23, 2012, 03:47 AM

I'm generally a hot-blooded person so I am passionate about quite a lot of things. Music, for one. I've always wished I could sing or play an instrument, evoke emotion in others, but I am more than content just being the audience. And little things I suppose. Running as the sun sets over the canal. Post workout highs. A tasty new book I can sink my teeth into   Smiley

You're so full of shit. You know your art is really good and evokes a lot of emotions.
     Reply #16 - October 09, 2012, 11:51 AM

I guess I see what your post was trying to say OP, although it seems to be a bit harsher than the "grey" reality of human interests.

My passions, right now, are pushing forward the Ex-Muslim cause, being a successful businessperson and changing the world (cliche, but fuck all y'all Wink )

Children can completely be a passion, it requires a helluva lot of selfless dedication. It's a beautiful thing to see someone truly passionate about giving their child the best the child can get, and seeing the results over years.

How can you reason with someone who hasn't used reason to get there in the first place?

-Jonathan Swift.

OH GURL
     Reply #17 - October 09, 2012, 02:21 PM

I have a beef with this thread: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=20957.0

The thing is, I don't think that hobbies and interests are really the same thing as passions...

For me a passion has to be something that inspires and motivates you, something that enriches your life in a fundamental way.

Well don't people choose their hobbies and careers based on what they are passionate about?

That's the whole point of a hobby. If you weren't passionate about it you wouldn't be spending your free time doing that hobby when you could be chilling with friends.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #18 - July 31, 2015, 10:55 PM

I think passion does not exist.

It's just the belief that doing x thing makes you feel better or "complete/achieved/successful"

For me my interests do that for me. I dont think I need this special, specific x thing to live for.
     Reply #19 - August 01, 2015, 02:22 AM

Passion is far too real for me. I have a tendency to become passionate and give my all to a cause or a family or a person. When I am following my heart and not my head, I realize I am passionate about something. It is very tempting to follow those emotional impulses, but sadly, doing so is rarely practical- in my case. 
    So I have to pick and choose my passions to fit into my lifestyle, since I am now and forever answerable to my children.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #20 - December 06, 2015, 04:40 AM

I think "passion" is quite an overrated term many people use today that just loses its meaning. Anyone can be "passionate" about anything.

I like to live my life exploring as much new things as possible. It comes with consequences living like that as well.

I'm currently passionate about this forum.. But who knows if it will last forever?

We don't know where life takes us. I guess I follow my heart too much.. And it's not really practical.

But hey, our time here is short.

Whatever I do long-term just means that I refuse to consciously acknowledge it.

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »