Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Online survey as part of research into experiences of nonreligious people

(Read 1605 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Online survey as part of research into experiences of nonreligious people
     OP - July 11, 2012, 12:57 PM

Hello  Smiley
    Some people may have seen my previous post about the forum I set up as part of my research project (thanks again to the admin team for being so supportive). For those of you who haven't seen it, I am a PhD student in anthropology at University College London. My research explores the experiences and opinions of nonreligious people in Britain.
    As part of this research I have just set up an online survey. The survey takes about 20 minutes to complete, although it doesn't have to done all in one go. You will not be asked to supply any identifying information and all your answers will be treated in the strictest of confidence and only used for the purposes of my research.

If you would like to take part the survey link is https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=19014

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to help me out with this. thnkyu
    Please do pass the link on to anyone you know who might be interested in taking part.

(Please be assured the intention of this research is not to portray nonreligious people in any negative way, I myself am an atheist.)

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section  whistling2
  • Re: Online survey as part of research into experiences of nonreligious people
     Reply #1 - July 11, 2012, 01:37 PM

It's a pity I don't qualify but good luck with your research/survey. Hope the results are revealed in the mainstream media so that common folks get a balanced view of things. As things stand religion is being propagated as a basic human need !Probably some see it as as important as food itself ! mysmilie_977

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #2 - July 11, 2012, 01:41 PM

Yup. I'd do the survey if I was in the UK, but I have the good fortune to live where the weather is halfway decent most of the time. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - July 11, 2012, 02:51 PM

Uh... you missed out East Anglia. Don't we count? Tongue
     Reply #4 - July 11, 2012, 10:38 PM

I did the survey.  yes

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #5 - July 12, 2012, 06:32 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I did it too Smiley

Reply #6 - July 12, 2012, 07:17 AM

Done. Afro
     Reply #7 - July 12, 2012, 01:56 PM

thnkyu so much to all of you who have taken part already.
    And I am very envious of Osmanthus' good weather!
    Sorry I missed East Anglia - I was trying to be very general but allow for regional differences. I forgot us poor East coasters (I live in Essex) never seem to quite fit in either East, South or South-east!!. My TV insists I have to watch the local news for either London, Kent or Norfolk!!!

After setting the survey 'live' I began to be concerned that some of the questions might seem biased in favour of Judeo-Christian ideas. I would really appreciate any feedback on this. Were there concerns that you have as an ex-Muslim that I didn't consider? Is the question on supernatural and philosophical ideas reflective enough of ex-Muslim experience?
    If you haven't taken the survey yet please do use the text box at the end to offer feedback or correct any wrong assumptions I have made. If you have taken it already but would like to add your ideas please just email me lorna.mumford.10@ucl.ac.uk.
    I tried to cover things often discussed in the press and by the BHA etc but realise these may not be representative of all nonreligious people. Any feedback will help me make sure any future surveys are better designed. Thankyou all so much for your help and support.
     Reply #8 - July 12, 2012, 06:00 PM

OMG you don't have to be in Britain to do this survey, you guys!!!!!!!! I'm doing it right now. grin12

What's "bright"? Do you just mean "intelligent"? Or is it like some philosophical term that I've never heard of? :/

Anyways, I'm done. Cheesy

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #9 - July 12, 2012, 07:06 PM

Quote from: Lorna
    My research explores the experiences and opinions of nonreligious people in Britain.

Even if there isn't a way to prevent people outside of the UK from actually filling out the questionnaire, it might end up skewing her research results, which is probably the last thing she wants.  Smiley

ETA: of course it's up to her to decide. I'm just assuming she wants only UK respondents.

Reply #10 - July 12, 2012, 07:09 PM

^ You have the option of saying you don't live in the UK. It's cool.

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #11 - July 12, 2012, 07:33 PM

aha! I hadn't seen that... In that case, all is well lol

Reply #12 - July 12, 2012, 10:20 PM

Does she actually want responses from outside the UK? I don't mind doing the survey if that is what Lorna wants.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #13 - July 16, 2012, 10:27 AM

Hello,
    Sorry I seem to have caused some confusion. My research is focused on Britain but it is still interesting to hear what people outside Britain think and feel about these issues. So if you don't live in Britain but fancy taking part anyway please do complete it - just be sure to complete the question on your location so that I can exclude your answers from any statistical analysis where they might affect results.
    Only thing might be that some of the questions are related to British politics so they may not be very interesting if you don't live here. But others a more philosophical so for those it doesn't really matter where you live. If I get enough answers from outside the UK I could probably write  a bit about 'perceptions and opinions from abroad' - which would be cool!
     Reply #14 - July 16, 2012, 10:29 AM

oh sorry Chepea, missed your question. Bright is a term Sam Harris came up with as a positive alternative to atheist. Its more popular in America but I included it in case people use it here.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »