Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Random Science Posts

(Read 100351 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 15 16 1718 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #480 - March 18, 2015, 06:48 AM

Wink

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #481 - March 18, 2015, 09:27 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Anti-vaccination guy offers equivalent of ~$100,000.00 to anyone who can prove that vaccines are effective, someone sends him articles to prove it, anti-vaccination guy dismisses them but is then brought to court where they force him to actually pay the $100k to the article sender.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31864218

Why don't they offer to inject him with the virus and see if he was willing to put his mouth where his money is.

If it was psychosomatic he would have been fine correct?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #482 - March 23, 2015, 11:25 PM

"There be gold in them butt hills!"

Gold in faeces 'worth millions'

Previous research suggested the waste from one million Americans could contain as much as $13m worth of metals

US researchers are investigating ways to extract the gold and precious metals from human faeces.

The group identified gold in waste from American sewage treatment plants at levels which if found in rock could be worth mining.

Details were outlined at the 249th national meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS) in Denver.

Extracting metals from the waste could also help curb the release of toxic substances into the environment.

"The gold we found was at the level of a minimal mineral deposit," said co-author Dr Kathleen Smith, from the US Geological Survey (USGS).

In addition to gold and silver, human waste also contains amounts of rare earth metals such as palladium and vanadium.
    "We're interested in collecting valuable metals that could be sold, including some of the more technologically important metals, such as vanadium and copper, that are in cell phones, computers and alloys," said Dr Smith.

The team estimates that seven million tonnes of solid waste come out of US wastewater facilities each year. About half of that is used as fertiliser on fields and in forests, while the other half is incinerated or sent to landfills.

The scientists are experimenting with some of the same chemicals, called leachates, which industrial mining operations use to pull metals out of rock.

While some of these leachates have a bad reputation for damaging ecosystems when they leak or spill into the environment, Smith says that in a controlled setting - they could safely be used to recover metals in treated solid waste.

In a previous study, another team of scientists calculated that the waste from one million Americans could contain as much as $13m (£8.6m) worth of metals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32026636
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #483 - March 23, 2015, 11:37 PM

All these toxic substances, metals, what a shitty situation.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #484 - March 27, 2015, 04:07 PM

"There be gold in them butt hills!"

Gold in faeces 'worth millions'

US researchers are investigating ways to extract the gold and precious metals from human faeces.

So AMRIKA shit is full of gold..

Hmmmm they drank so much oil now they are shitting gold..

hell with their gold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ91AxUqHck

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #485 - April 07, 2015, 07:06 PM

"US researchers are investigating ways to extract the gold and precious metals from human faeces."

er....dinner forks and clothes pegs? vomit

Might find a few diced karats?  whistling2

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #486 - April 15, 2015, 11:38 AM

Lady buys into the anti-vaccination movement because of a modern medicine conspiracy theory until all of her seven kids get whooping cough and now she's publicly admitting her mistake and getting those kids vaccinated.

Bonus: someone in the comments section has proposed that someone purposefully infected the children with whooping cough to create this story because he thinks that's more likely than seven kids in one household getting a highly-infectious disease.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #487 - April 15, 2015, 02:56 PM

Lady buys into the anti-vaccination movement because of a modern medicine conspiracy theory until all of her seven kids get whooping cough and now she's publicly admitting her mistake and getting those kids vaccinated.

Bonus: someone in the comments section has proposed that someone purposefully infected the children with whooping cough to create this story because he thinks that's more likely than seven kids in one household getting a highly-infectious disease.

Lucky none of that IDIOT kids   died with that  Pertussis / Whooping Cough  

Well some of these religious fools are so stubborn they don't mind either they or their  near & dear  die due to their stupid beliefs..  Hope she  changes her stupid beliefs otherwise the kids should run away  from these idiots..  

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #488 - April 15, 2015, 08:41 PM

Largest Black Hole discovered.

http://time.com/3723482/black-hole-massive-sun-peking-university/
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v518/n7540/full/nature14241.html
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #489 - April 20, 2015, 08:42 PM

Largest Black Hole discovered...........in Labour's funding forecast?

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #490 - April 20, 2015, 08:44 PM

Cheesy
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #491 - April 20, 2015, 08:47 PM

Oooh, bit political I know. Sorry all. Will try to stick to the topic.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #492 - April 21, 2015, 01:00 PM

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150420-why-do-women-have-periods ..

Interesting facts on human evolutionary biology  and female reproductive scientific facts  at that link...

well looooooooooooong way to go.. hope in next 50 years all human beings will understand where they came and where they come from..

oops I didn't see that picture carefully AMRIKA the most powerful country on the earth with all that science and development is in  the bottom of the chart... just above turkeys.. lol..  off course  countries of  Asian continent nor African continent are not  on that list .. So many or not even close to turkeys..

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #493 - April 21, 2015, 03:01 PM

That's embarrassing.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #494 - April 21, 2015, 03:11 PM

You would think that studying with future med school students I wouldn't have to worry about this, but I still ask them out of habit before I bring up the subject. Um, its rather awkward and I wish I could just assume that otherwise intelligent people wouldn't be offended by evidence based models with explanatory power.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #495 - April 21, 2015, 06:33 PM

New species of frog found in Costa Rica looks just like Kermit

Someone should let Kermit know he has a new relative.

A new species of frog called the Hyalinobatrachium dianae has been found in Costa Rica. Similar to the glass frog, the lime-colored amphibian has translucent skin on its underside and has eyes that make it look like the famous Muppet, Kermit.

Video in link

The frog's translucent belly makes its internal organs easy to see, but its those big, white eyes with perfect black centers that give a distinctive, Muppet-like look.

The frog was photographed by Dr. Brian Kubicki, who detailed the new species in a study with zoologist Stanley Salazar and Robert Puschendorf. Dr. Kubicki named the creature after his mother, Janet Diana Kubicki, according to the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center.

The frog was previously missed by scientists who were studying the area, but the authors attribute this to the frog's particular call. Dr.Kubicki says it sounds more like an insect than a frog, according to The Tico Times, a Costa Rican news site.

The study describes the frog’s "advertisement call" as "a single tonal long metallic whistle-like note." No word yet on whether the new species enjoys playing the ukulele or has an affinity for fashionable pigs. Further study will be needed.

Next, scientists will look for bears who tell knock-knock jokes.

http://mashable.com/2015/04/20/new-frog-that-looks-like-kermit/
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #496 - April 25, 2015, 06:19 PM

Toothbrush to check your DNA for cancer

Tiny microchips embedded in toothbrushes could soon warn us about the early onset of diseases including cancer and Alzheimer’s, technologists believe.
    Known as nanopore sequencers, they analyse DNA as it passes through a tiny hole on the chip and decode it into a digital format, in a process known as “sequencing”. These digital readings can then be assessed against genetic markers that are known to indicate disease.
    The sequencers are becoming smaller and could soon be embedded in any product or device that comes into contact with human DNA.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #497 - May 19, 2015, 12:07 PM

...The largest vessel the world has ever seen  ..

Climbing onto the largest vessel the world has ever seen brings you into a realm where everything is on a bewilderingly vast scale and ambition knows no bounds.  Under construction in South Korea, Prelude is destined for a gas field off the coast of Australia

Painted a brilliant red, Prelude looms over the Samsung Heavy Industries shipyard on Geoje Island in South Korea, its sides towering like cliffs, the workforce ant-like in comparison. The yard, one of the largest in the world, is a mesmerising sight with around 30,000 workers toiling on the usually unseen infrastructure of the global supply of fossil fuels: dozens of drilling ships, oil storage tankers and gas transporters.

Park and produce

Prelude is not only the largest of all of these to take shape in this hive of activity - it also pioneers a new way of getting gas from beneath the ocean floor to the consumers willing to pay for it. Until now, gas collected from offshore wells has had to be piped to land to be processed and then liquefied ready for export.

Usually, this means building a huge facility onshore which can purify the gas and then chill it so that it becomes a liquid - what's known as liquefied natural gas or LNG - making it 600 times smaller in volume and therefore far easier to transport by ship. And LNG is in hot demand - especially in Asia, with China and Japan among the energy-hungry markets.

Prelude is a staggering 488m long and the best way to grasp what this means is by comparison with something more familiar.

Four football pitches placed end-to-end would not quite match this vessel's length - and if you could lay the 301m of the Eiffel Tower alongside it, or the 443m of the Empire State Building, they wouldn't do so either.

In terms of sheer volume, Prelude is mind-boggling too: if you took six of the world's largest aircraft carriers, and measured the total amount of water they displaced, that would just about be the same as with this one gigantic vessel.

Damn I love it .. But I love more if some one kills all the use Oil burning..  

Anyways.. that is the difference between South Korea and North Korea.. A TOTALITARIAN fucking  regime   used by other big wigs  verses a free country.. Same people.. same culture but governed fundamentally different  political ideologies..

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #498 - May 21, 2015, 08:57 PM

From here
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #499 - May 23, 2015, 11:41 AM

boy what a picture there.. look at the time scales in it..  so let me add this picture that shows where we are in this universe..

And that is from our-place-in milky-way

Anyways to days news on Science of reproduction says

A 65-year-old German woman has given birth to quadruplets after undergoing an artificial insemination procedure, Germany's RTL television reports.   It says Annegret Raunigk had three boys and a girl by Caesarean section at a Berlin hospital on Tuesday.

They were born prematurely at 26 weeks but have a "good chance of surviving". Annegret Raunigk - who already has 13 children and seven grandchildren - is the world's oldest woman to have quadruplets.

Pregnant at 65: Miracle of medicine

The single mother reportedly decided to try for another baby when her youngest daughter, who is now 10, said she wanted a little brother or sister.
    Ms Raunigk's pregnancy - the result of fertility treatment in Ukraine - has been the subject of fierce debate in Germany, the BBC's Jenny Hill in Berlin says.
    During her pregnancy she said she believed everyone should be able to live the life they wanted to.

Asked whether she had any concerns, Ms Raunigk said she assumed she would stay fit and healthy and that she was not worried about what other people thought.

Some doctors have questioned whether she would be physically capable of bearing the children.
    However, the German school teacher is not the oldest woman to give birth to a child - that official record is held by Maria del Carmen Bousada Lara. She had twins in Spain in 2006, at the age of 66.

Some reports dispute this, saying the actual record holder is Omkari Panwar, who is believed to have been 70 when she gave birth to twins in India in 2008.

well that is the news and this is the person

Annegret Raunigk, then 55, posing with one of her daughters in 2005 and that news is from BBC

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #500 - May 26, 2015, 04:25 PM

Found this pretty neat:

Causal understanding of water displacement by a crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerUbHmuY04
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #501 - May 26, 2015, 09:50 PM

Or this one?

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #502 - May 26, 2015, 09:54 PM

...The largest vessel the world has ever seen  ..

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Climbing onto the largest vessel the world has ever seen brings you into a realm where everything is on a bewilderingly vast scale and ambition knows no bounds.  Under construction in South Korea, Prelude is destined for a gas field off the coast of Australia

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Damn I love it .. But I love more if some one kills all the use Oil burning..  

Anyways.. that is the difference between South Korea and North Korea.. A TOTALITARIAN fucking  regime   used by other big wigs  verses a free country.. Same people.. same culture but governed fundamentally different  political ideologies..

Yar, woteva, that's nothing. About 4 thousand years ago a 600 year old man built a ship bigger than that out of gopher wood ....... I read about it in an old book.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #503 - May 27, 2015, 05:30 PM

Spirituality and the Brain: A Scientific Approach to Religious Experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHe2oqugSns

How Religion impacts the Brain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sltg0AeFwEk

How Science Can Determine Human Moral Values: Sam Harris on the Human Brain & Religion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHtYj0jndXQ

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #504 - May 27, 2015, 11:59 PM

This once-stable Antarctic region has suddenly started melting

Antarctica’s glaciers have been making headlines during the past year, and not in a good way. Whether it’s a massive ice shelf facing imminent risk of collapse, glaciers in the West Antarctic past the point of no return, or new threats to East Antarctic ice, it’s all been rather gloomy.

And now I’m afraid there’s more bad news: a new study published in the journal Science, led by a team of my colleagues and I from the University of Bristol, has observed a sudden increase of ice loss in a previously stable part of Antarctica.

The region in question is the southernmost half of the Antarctic Peninsula, a section of the mainland which extends 1300km into the Southern Ocean. Its northern half is the continent’s mildest region and the climate effects there are clear. We already knew for instance that the glaciers of the Northern Antarctic Peninsula were in trouble following the disintegration of some of its ice shelves, most famously Larsen A and B.

Further to the west, the massive glaciers feeding into the Amundsen Sea have been shedding ice into the ocean at an alarming rate for decades. Out of the blue, the Southern Peninsula filled up the gap between these two regions and became Antarctica’s second largest contributor to sea level rise.

Using satellite elevation measurements, we found the Southern Antarctic Peninsula showed no signs of change up to 2009. Around that year, multiple glaciers along a vast 750km coastline suddenly started to shed ice into the ocean at a nearly constant rate of 60 cubic km, or about 55 trillion litres of water, each year – enough water to fill 350,000 Empire State Buildings over the past five years.

Some of the glaciers are currently thinning by as much as 4 metres each year. The ice loss in the region is so large that it causes small changes in the Earth’s gravity field, which can be detected by another satellite mission, the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE).

We live in interesting times. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #505 - May 28, 2015, 01:06 AM

Okay, so we have less species and more liquid water, and climate change and shit.

What's the big fuss?  Tongue

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #506 - May 28, 2015, 01:29 AM

Okay, so we have less species and more liquid water, and climate change and shit.

good Question. Even academic circles don't answer that question to satisfaction....  Suppose all the ice on the earth melts.. What's the big fuss???

if all the ice melted so what happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5e61XSMHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVbS9JRopE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKfWdXXfIs

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #507 - May 28, 2015, 11:50 PM

In the long term, not much. Nobody gives a crap about the PETM these days. parrot

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #508 - June 03, 2015, 03:56 AM

Statins could halve the risk of dying from cancer

Amphetamines could make an old mind young again: Stimulant 'restores brain function and boosts memory'

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #509 - June 03, 2015, 05:21 AM

good Question. Even academic circles don't answer that question to satisfaction....  Suppose all the ice on the earth melts.. What's the big fuss???

if all the ice melted so what happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5e61XSMHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVbS9JRopE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKfWdXXfIs

Ah. I noticed you've added a Freeman Dyson vid to your post. Dyson used to be good at physics, but has no expertise in climate science. There are plenty of dissections of his views available. Just as one example, read this: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/02/the-starship-vs-spaceship-earth/

And really, using Business Insider as a source for climate science is just stupid.

Bottom line is that climate science denial is no more rational or respectable than denying evolution. Just because you don't like what the science says doesn't make it wrong.

• Previous page 1 ... 15 16 1718 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »