Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Random Science Posts

(Read 100381 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 13 14 1516 17 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #420 - August 30, 2014, 07:54 AM

Any interesting results?

Yeah. Take a look around. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #421 - August 30, 2014, 09:49 PM

I was wondering if you know of a study which could be linked. I am not having luck finding a generation based study. Everything keeps referencing back to the article I linked.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #422 - August 31, 2014, 06:26 AM

I was referring to the Devonian. Wink If you like I can probably give you a copy of the original paper on Tiktaalik. I think I still have it somewhere.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #423 - August 31, 2014, 03:03 PM

You were there to witness the experiment firsthand then, I take it?  Cheesy

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #424 - August 31, 2014, 07:56 PM

Great article on the oldest light in the sky providing us with an estimate of 13.82 billion years when the Big Bang went BOOM!!! Though there was an initial intense inflation the universe evolved very gradually. Still Big Bang sounds awesome.

Theory says 380,000 years after the Big Bang, matter and light "decoupled"
        Matter went on to form stars and galaxies; the light spread out and cooled
        The light - the CMB - now washes over the Earth at microwave frequencies
        Tiny deviations from this average glow appear as mottling in the map (above)
        These fluctuations reflect density differences in the early distribution of matter
        Their pattern betrays the age, shape and contents of the Universe, and more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21866464

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #425 - August 31, 2014, 10:09 PM

You were there to witness the experiment firsthand then, I take it?  Cheesy

Shit yeah. Old geezer

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #426 - September 20, 2014, 01:01 AM

This one is totally cool. Afro

Einstein makes an appearance in superheavy chemistry

Researchers have created the first chemical compound that requires Einstein's theory of relativity to explain its behaviour, thanks to the presence of a superheavy element.

<snippity>

Superheavy nuclei have so many protons that they are thought to accelerate orbiting electrons, making them travel at up to 80 per cent the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects travelling this fast will become heavier, which should change the electrons' orbits.

<snippity>

Now Christoph Düllmann at the GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research in Darmstadt, Germany, and his colleagues have combined seaborgium, the 106th element of the periodic table, with six carbon monoxide molecules. This combination used metal-carbon bonds, which leave some outer electrons free.

The compound lasted for about 10 seconds before the seaborgium decayed – just long enough for the team to measure its volatility and reactivity. These measures were similar to those for compounds of molybdenum and tungsten with carbon monoxide. These two elements sit above seaborgium in the same group of the periodic table. This behaviour agrees with theoretical predictions only if relativistic effects are taken into account, says Düllmann.

Now the team plans to test heavier elements, where the effects should be even more pronounced. "The goal of our studies is to find out if relativistic effects change the chemical properties of the superheavy elements," says Düllmann.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #427 - September 30, 2014, 09:16 PM

More joyful news from the real world. parrot

World's wildlife population halved in just 40 years

Enjoy them while you can. Only half the world's animals are left compared with 40 years ago, mainly because of habitat destruction either by locals for farming or by the multinational mineral and timber trades.

The biennial Living Planet Report, released this week by conservation charity WWF, tracked the fate of 10,000 vertebrate species around the world between 1970 and 2010. It found that the total population of fish, birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles has declined by 52 per cent in only two generations of humans.

Latin America saw the steepest decline, with animal populations falling by 83 per cent. Animals living in fresh water also fared badly, plummeting by 76 per cent.

This makes sense, given that human population roughly doubled over the same period. But hey, don't worry about it all. whistling2

Also:

Blame climate change for heatwaves that struck in 2013

The verdict is in: climate change is guilty. Greenhouse gas emissions made five heatwaves in 2013 more likely.

That's the conclusion of the third annual assessment of the role of global warming in extreme weather events from the previous year. For 2013, the research included five separate heatwaves in Australia, China, Japan, Korea and western Europe. The report found that climate change played a part in all of them.

Australia's results were particularly damning. "The chances of observing such extreme temperatures in a world without climate change – it is almost impossible to imagine how that would have happened," says Peter Stott of the UK Met Office, an editor of the report, a special supplement in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society called Explaining Extreme Events of 2013 from a Climate Perspective.

But hey, don't worry about that either.

ETA: Oh and this last one is funny in a dark kind of way. Our idiotic Prime Minister, who denies climate science due to having his brains located in his rectum, was getting quite upset last year when some people tried to link the massive bushfires and heatwave to climate change predictions. He accused them of trying to score political points by politicising a national disaster.

Well, it turns out those people were right. Yes, climate science does have real world ramifications, fuckwit.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #428 - October 13, 2014, 01:19 PM

New species of snail named in celebration of same-sex marriage
    Scientist says Aegista diversifamilia, a hermaphrodite snail, reflects ‘diversity of sexual orientation in the animal kingdom’

Azeen Ghorayshi - theguardian.com, Monday 13 October 2014 14.07 BST

(Clicky for piccy!)
    The snail Aegista diversifamilia is endemic to Taiwan, where a bill to legalise gay marriage has been shelved. Photograph: Chih-Wei Huang

Researchers in Taiwan have taken the unusual step of naming a newly identified species of snail in recognition of same-sex marriage rights. Dubbed Aegista diversifamilia, the hermaphroditic species was so named to reflect the “diversity of sexual orientation in the animal kingdom”, said Dr Yen-Chang Lee, who co-authored the study published on Monday in the journal ZooKeys.

Dr Lee explained that the team’s research coincided with major struggles for same-sex marriage rights in Taiwan and worldwide, which the scientists decided to recognise through the naming of their snail. Since it was first proposed last October, the Taiwanese legislature has shelved a landmark bill to legalise same-sex marriage, leading to protests outside of the parliament gates last week. “We decided that maybe this is a good occasion to name the snail to remember the struggle for the recognition of same-sex marriage rights,” Dr Lee said.

The snail, a land species endemic to Taiwan, was previously thought to be a member of the common species Aegista subchinensis. But in 2003, co-author Dr Yen-Chang Lee noticed a morphological difference between the eastern and western types of the snail. The eastern snail type, which has a larger and flatter shell than its western counterpart, was later confirmed through molecular analysis to be a new species.

A. diversifamilia joins many other species named after unusual celebrities or circumstances, from a beetle named after Arnold Schwarzenegger for its markedly biceps-like legs, a lichen named after Barack Obama in recognition of his support for science education, a spider named after Angelina Jolie for her work with the UN High Commission for Refugees, and the slime molds named after George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/oct/13/new-species-snail-same-sex-marriage-gay-aegista-diversifamilia?CMP=twt_gu
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #429 - October 25, 2014, 04:49 AM

Python Jesus

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #430 - October 25, 2014, 05:21 AM

Nope. Parthenogenesis in reptiles only ever results in female offspring. No males.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #431 - October 25, 2014, 05:42 AM

What's that got to do with python Jesus? Huh?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #432 - October 25, 2014, 07:14 AM

Jesus was male. Your link is to an article about parthenogenesis in reptiles. As the article says, the offspring are female. Ergo, not "python Jesus".

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #433 - October 25, 2014, 08:33 AM

But that's human Jesus. Why does python Jesus have to be male?

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #434 - October 25, 2014, 12:26 PM

Nope. Parthenogenesis in reptiles only ever results in female offspring. No males.

But that's human Jesus. Why does python Jesus have to be male?

...python .....python .... Any snakes in this folder??

2,000 mice parachute into Guam to kill snake invaders
    Back in the 1950s, brown tree snakes arrived in Guam, and thought “Ah, paradise.” They have thrived on the small island, which is now home to something like 2 million of them — much to the chagrin of local birds and the U.S. military, which has to deal with regular snake-caused power failures at the Andersen Air Force Base. So the Air Force is sending in the mice. NBC News reports:

They floated down from the sky Sunday — 2,000 mice, wafting on tiny cardboard parachutes … the rodent commandos didn’t know they were on a mission: to help eradicate the brown tree snake, an invasive species that has caused millions of dollars in wildlife and commercial losses since it arrived a few decades ago.

That’s because they were dead. And pumped full of painkillers.

Brown tree snakes have two weakness: tasty mice and acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol. For the snakes, acetaminophen is fatal. So the military dosed the dead mice with the drug and blanketed the forest with them. Ideally, the snakes will eat the drugged mice and die. And the dead mice will be memorialized forever in this unlikely triumph of prey over predator.

So The lesson to learn here is .. if you want to kill the snake use that  Acetaminophen ., that is also sold under different brand names.. such as TT-Panol®., Tycolene® .,Tylenol®., Tylophen® Liquiprin®., Lopap®., Mapap® ., Masophen®  and many other names

incidentally this chemical also kills dogs and Cats. SO BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR PETS..

Acetaminophen – Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) is a very common pain killer found in most households. Cats are extremely sensitive to acetaminophen, but dogs can be affected too. Acetaminophen can cause liver damage. It can also cause damage to your pet's red blood cells so that the cells are unable to carry oxygen – like your body, your pet's body needs oxygen to survive.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #435 - October 25, 2014, 01:09 PM

So you're saying that snakes will achieve salvation by believing that python Jesus died for their sins by eating poisoned mice? Was there a resurrection three days later? popcorn

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #436 - October 25, 2014, 05:06 PM

So you're saying that snakes will achieve salvation by believing that python Jesus died for their sins by eating poisoned mice? Was there a resurrection three days later? popcorn

I hate popcorn eaters  QSE... they are messy.....   and   and you seem to enjoy  me fighting with someone in the forum ..

finmad    Noo0.....   .. what I am saying is,  I have problem..,  I logged out of the forum.. closed the browser .. went out and I came back.. The forum says  "I AM STILL LOGGED IN TO IT"

Somewhere.. there is a problem.,  I wonder someone else logging in to  the forum thorough the same computer I used and they are logging with "yeezevee" name and pass word.. or is it just plain error??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #437 - October 26, 2014, 12:19 AM

It's not that I enjoy you fighting, it's that you do it so well. Also, didn't realise that was you fighting.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #438 - November 18, 2014, 06:12 PM

Seals caught buggering penguins

From the Department of Isn't Nature Wonderful....

Things are heating up in the cold climes of the sub-Antarctic. On a remote, and mostly desolate island, seals have been caught engaging in an extreme form of sexual behaviour.

Specifically, they have been trying to have sex with penguins.

More than one fur seal has been caught in the act, on more than one occasion.

And it's all been captured on film, with details being published in the journal Polar Biology.

More on the link, with video if you're into pr0n.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #439 - November 18, 2014, 09:09 PM

Great article on the oldest light in the sky providing us with an estimate of 13.82 billion years when the Big Bang went BOOM!!! Though there was an initial intense inflation the universe evolved very gradually. Still Big Bang sounds awesome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21866464

Of course this is all predicted in the Quran........somewhere......probably..............it must be there.................just need to look for a verse that is so vague it's not even wrong................ how about ".....cloven asunder"?  I know it says the heaven and the earth but with some creative interpretation it actually means light and matter...... cos the earth is made of matter.............aaaaaand.......space has got stars in it which are made of light, just like angels, as the Quran mentions. See, so the Quran is scientific compatible with scientific knowledge.

Did I won the internets?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #440 - November 18, 2014, 09:11 PM

As the car mechanic one said "I think you've blown a seal"

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #441 - November 19, 2014, 12:09 PM

That was more disturbing than I thought it would be. Also very intriguing.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #442 - November 19, 2014, 07:13 PM

It's a weird one alright.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #443 - November 19, 2014, 11:38 PM

Hey this is a good one: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/science/bankers-honesty-study-nature.html?src=twr&_r=1 whistling2

Would quote some of it but my mouse is playing up. Have a read on teh linky.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #444 - November 20, 2014, 06:18 PM

Human Poop-Powered Bus Hits UK Roads

November 20, 2014 | by Justine Alford

You wouldn’t think that human poop has many uses, but it turns out that the UK is using brown to go green. As of today, Britain’s first “poo bus” will be shuttling passengers between the city of Bath and Bristol Airport. And yes, you guessed it: it’s powered by human waste, alongside food waste.

This “Bio-bus” runs on biomethane gas, which is produced from the treatment of human sewage and food that is unsuitable for human consumption. It has a combustion engine that is similar to diesel engines in normal buses, but the gas is stored in dome-like tanks on the roof.

The gas is generated using anaerobic (oxygen hating) bacteria, which break down the waste into methane-rich gas. Before it can be used to power buses, CO2 is removed and propane is added. Other impurities are also removed so that the emissions are virtually odorless (thank goodness). It also produces fewer overall emissions than traditional diesel engines, and is obviously more sustainable.

Just one person’s annual food and sewage waste is enough to fuel the bus for 60 kilometers (37 miles). One tank is sufficient for a 300 kilometer (186 mile) journey, which is about five people’s annual waste.

The company behind the gas, GENco, produces approximately 17 million cubic meters of biomethane annually, which is enough to power around 8,300 homes. And as of this week, they’ve started injecting gas generated from human and food waste into the national gas grid network.                                   

“A home generated green gas, biomethane, is capable of replacing around 10% of the UK’s domestic gas needs and is currently the only renewable fuel available for HGVs,” said Charlotte Morton, chief executive of the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association. “The bus also clearly shows that human poo and our waste food are valuable resources.”

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/human-poop-powered-bus-hits-uk-roads
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #445 - November 20, 2014, 09:21 PM

So that guy who shat on the back seat of the upper deck of the No 28 to Shepherds Bush last week was just "re-fuelling"? Smiley

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #446 - November 20, 2014, 10:00 PM

So that guy who shat on the back seat of the upper deck of the No 28 to Shepherds Bush last week was just "re-fuelling"? Smiley

Ob vuh slah; or had a case of dysentery!
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #447 - November 21, 2014, 09:19 PM

Another pot-boiler for the nature vs nurture thing. parrot

Gay gene discovery has good and bad implications

The finding that male homosexuality has a strong genetic component should be a boon for gay rights – but it could backfire

FOR gay rights activists, it's a dilemma. Does it help or hinder their cause if science shows that homosexuality is partly or largely biologically determined, rather than a lifestyle choice?

On the one hand, if sexual orientation is something people are born with, and cannot change even if they want to – akin to skin colour or handedness – this should overturn the notion that people choose to be gay and could equally well choose not to be. That knowledge would help rebut those who suggest that gayness is the result of a morally unacceptable decision, or a psychological disorder. It might also help people who struggle to understand or declare their own homosexuality.

On the other, some could try to redefine homosexuality as a biological abnormality. There is no way to change people's sexuality, but if key genes are found, it might be possible to detect homosexuality before birth, or to "cure" people by altering those genes. Even the threat of this could be used to persecute: consider the ugly histories of prenatal sex selection and of coerced and ineffectual "therapies" for homosexuals. It is no wonder that some activists see in such research the "seeds of genocide".

This debate has rumbled on for years. But as we report this week, there is growing evidence that male homosexuality has a strong genetic contribution (see "Largest study of gay brothers homes in on 'gay genes'"). Other biological components of homosexual behaviour have also been found: brain structures that differ with sexual orientation, for example, and robust theories for how genes survive in the population despite rarely being passed on by homosexual people.

More on the link.

Personally I don't much give a shit, as long as everyone is happy and nobody is getting hurt.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #448 - November 28, 2014, 12:13 AM

No, it was the No 2 bus. whistling2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #449 - November 28, 2014, 12:49 AM

Oh hey, so sorry ateapotist, I didn't notice you without your trousers round your ankles!  lipsrsealed

That bus ticket paper isn't very absorbent is it? no

• Previous page 1 ... 13 14 1516 17 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »