Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Random Science Posts

(Read 100405 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 12 13 1415 16 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #390 - July 20, 2014, 01:58 AM

I can't find a Math thread so I hope that you guys don't mind me posting here.

Mathematicians  far away hug  Physicists

Mathematics is the language of God, and Dirac is His prophet.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #391 - July 20, 2014, 02:00 AM

I love Math man, I just cba with certain aspects such as geometry and trig lol.
    Set theory is one of my growing interests.

Descent, are you familiar with the Gödel and Popper debate with regards to Math being a Science?

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #392 - July 20, 2014, 02:16 AM

Naturally, I'm mostly inclined towards calculus, algebra, and probability. But there is so much math I want to learn.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with Gauss: "math is the queen of science". Yet, math has this artistic beauty about it.

Quote from: Bertrand Russell
    Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty — a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #393 - July 20, 2014, 02:24 AM

Tbh, it's kind of the same for me with Set theory and what not. A pretty big portion of Microeconomics involves decision making which has to invoke set theory and relations. I also enjoy probability, particularly Bayes' theorem.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #394 - July 21, 2014, 07:26 PM

http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/16/6/065008/pdf/1367-2630_16_6_065008.pdf

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-physicist-slower-thought.html

Interesting if it holds, though, I'm sceptical.

I disagree with this articles final sentences.

So if science is wrong, therefore creationism is proven true!

Checkmate atheists!!

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #395 - July 21, 2014, 07:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkpE2WI7pU

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #396 - July 22, 2014, 07:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfSCAgpzQA
    Was anyone on this forum alive when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon?
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #397 - July 23, 2014, 07:40 AM

Cheesy Fuck yeah. I even saw it on tv. It was a black and white tv (which were banned at the time in South Africa, but common in Australia).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #398 - July 23, 2014, 08:15 AM

TV was banned in South Africa? Where they afraid the coloureds would see Martin Luther King and get funny ideas about human equality?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #399 - July 23, 2014, 08:29 AM

It was a joke about apartheid (ie: not allowed to have black and white on the same tv). Tongue

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #400 - July 23, 2014, 08:31 AM

Ah.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #401 - July 23, 2014, 08:33 AM

I was reminded of the old Goodies skit with the South African piano: all the white keys down one end, all the black keys up the other end.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #402 - July 27, 2014, 02:53 PM

http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #403 - August 07, 2014, 06:59 AM

This is kinda cool - Rosetta goes into orbit around comet

European spacecraft Rosetta has become the first human made craft to catch up with and orbit a comet, scientists confirm.

The historic rendezvous marks a landmark stage in a decade-long space mission that scientists hope will help unlock some of the secrets of the solar system.

At around 7.00 pm AEST last night, the spacecraft moved into position into orbit about 100 kilometres away from the surface of the comet.

Over the next six weeks, it will describe two triangular-shaped trajectories in front of the comet, first at a distance of 100 kilometres and then at 50 kilometres.

Eventually, Rosetta will attempt a close, near-circular orbit at 30 kilometres and, depending on the activity of the comet, perhaps come even closer.

Rosetta, launched by the European Space Agency (ESA) in 2004, will accompany comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on its trip around the sun and land a probe on it later this year in an unprecedented manoeuvre.

Comet 67P from orbit, 130 kilometres above the comet's surface:

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #404 - August 07, 2014, 12:13 PM

It's pretty cool that we have a spacecraft orbiting a body in a triangular shape because it has very low gravity. The landing in November should be interesting, hope it goes well.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #405 - August 09, 2014, 01:06 PM

Just you wait, some twit will claim they see an image of Jebus on the surface or the sign of the Umma.....or something.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #406 - August 10, 2014, 10:09 PM

This is about the proposed pipeline from the Canadian tar sands to refineries in the US.

Surprise! Keystone XL will make climate change worse

Try not to faint from shock. The controversial Keystone XL pipeline, which would carry Canadian oil through the US, will make climate change worse. It will boost global emissions of carbon dioxide by up to 110 million tonnes per year. The finding will step up the pressure on US president Barack Obama to stop the pipeline being built.

That extra CO2 is not a huge amount on a global scale. "But it is a step in the wrong direction," says Jerry Schnoor of the University of Iowa in Iowa City, who was not involved in the new analysis. "It is an investment that will lock us into an untenable environmental situation. It's a pipeline to nowhere, economically speaking."

Barack Obama must decide whether to allow its construction. On 25 June 2013, he mentioned Keystone XL in a speech about climate change. Obama said that the pipeline could be built only if it "does not significantly exacerbate the problem of carbon pollution". Now it seems it will.

The new study comes from Peter Erickson and Michael Lazarus of the Stockholm Environment Institute in Seattle, Washington. They estimated how much building Keystone XL would affect oil prices. For every barrel of extra oil obtained from tar sands as a result of the pipeline, global oil consumption would increase by 0.6 barrels, because the extra oil would lower oil prices and encourage people to use more.

"The maths works out. The model is simple and straightforward," says Nico Bauer of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany.

Obama is trying to cut the US's greenhouse gas emissions, for instance clamping down on emissions from power stations. Erickson says not building Keystone offers instant emissions cuts, of a magnitude that the government is retooling entire industries over many years to achieve elsewhere. "[It's] a carbon saving policy that the US has at its fingertips," says Erickson.

"When do we begin to stop?" asks Schnoor. "If not now, when? If one accepts that climate change is a very serious problem, and I do, one concludes that investing in infrastructure that will last 50 years or more is simply not prudent.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #407 - August 19, 2014, 10:28 PM

This one is a good one, at least IMO. I may try to track down the actual book by the same author. There are a number of ramifications.

Understand faulty thinking to tackle climate change

The amorphous nature of climate change creates the ideal conditions for human denial and cognitive bias to come to the fore

DANIEL KAHNEMAN is not hopeful. "I am very sorry," he told me, "but I am deeply pessimistic. I really see no path to success on climate change."

Kahneman won the 2002 Nobel prize in economics for his research on the psychological biases that distort rational decision- making. One of these is "loss aversion", which means that people are far more sensitive to losses than gains. He regards climate change as a perfect trigger: a distant problem that requires sacrifices now to avoid uncertain losses far in the future. This combination is exceptionally hard for us to accept, he told me.

Kahneman's views are widely shared by cognitive psychologists. As Daniel Gilbert of Harvard University says: "A psychologist could barely dream up a better scenario for paralysis."

People from other disciplines also seem to view climate change as a "perfect" problem. Nicholas Stern, author of the influential Stern Review on the economics of climate change, describes it as the "perfect market failure". Philosopher Stephen Gardiner of the University of Washington in Seattle says it is a "perfect moral storm". Everyone, it seems, shapes climate change in their own image.

Which points to the real problem: climate change is exceptionally amorphous. It provides us with no defining qualities that would give it a clear identity: no deadlines, no geographic location, no single cause or solution and, critically, no obvious enemy. Our brains scan it for the usual cues that we use to process and evaluate information about the world, but find none. And so we impose our own. This is a perilous situation, leaving climate change wide open to another of Kahneman's biases – an "assimilation bias" that bends information to fit people's existing values and prejudices.

This interests me because it's pretty clear, to anyone who understands the science, that climate change is likely to result in cumulative strategic and humanitarian problems that dwarf those we currently regard as significant, yet it also an issue that most people can't or wont think about.

One titbit that is also relevant to other situations (that I am not going to specifically name) is this:

Our response to climate change is uncannily similar to an even more universal disavowal: unwillingness to face our own mortality, says neuroscientist Janis Dickinson of Cornell University in New York. She argues that overt images of death and decay along with the deeper implications of societal decline and collapse are powerful triggers for denial of mortality.

There is a great deal of research showing that people respond to reminders of death with aggressive assertion of their own group identity. Dickinson argues that political polarisation and angry denial found around climate change is consistent with this "terror management theory". Again, there is a complex relationship between our psychology and the narratives that we construct to make sense of climate change.

The italicised sentence indicates that the most likely reaction to lethal conflict is, you guessed it, more lethal conflict. Obviously this would be dressed up with suitable justifications, but may just stem from basic constraints of human psychology.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #408 - August 20, 2014, 10:25 PM

Calling all vampires! dance

Young blood to be used in ultimate rejuvenation trial

IT SOUNDS like the dark plot of a vampire movie. In October, people with Alzheimer's disease will be injected with the blood of young people in the hope that it will reverse some of the damage caused by the condition.

The scientists behind the experiment have evidence on their side. Work in animals has shown that a transfusion of young mouse blood can improve cognition and the health of several organs in older mice. It could even make those animals look younger. The ramifications for the cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries could be huge if the same thing happens in people.

Disregarding vampire legends, the idea of refreshing old blood with new harks back to the 1950s, when Clive McCay of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, stitched together the circulatory systems of an old and young mouse – a technique called heterochronic parabiosis. He found that the cartilage of the old mice soon appeared younger than would be expected.

It wasn't until recently, however, that the mechanisms behind this experiment were more clearly understood. In 2005, Thomas Rando at Stanford University in California and his team found that young blood returned the liver and skeletal stem cells of old mice to a more youthful state during heterochronic parabiosis. The old mice were also able to repair injured muscles as well as young mice (Nature, doi.org/d4fkt5).

Spooky things seemed to happen in the opposite direction, too: young mice that received old blood appeared to age prematurely. In some cases, injured muscles did not heal as fast as would be expected.

Read the rest of the article on the link. Smiley

Anyway, Osmanthus would like to meet any young murtads. For dinner, perhaps. cool2

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #409 - August 20, 2014, 11:08 PM

Surprised you've only come across this now.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #410 - August 20, 2014, 11:12 PM

First human trials of any note. Worth following, as it may lead to some very good treatments for a range of things. Obviously raw blood isn't going to be useful for treatment on any scale, but if the relevant components can be isolated and synthesised it could be a winner.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #411 - August 20, 2014, 11:14 PM

Obviously I'm going to look as good in 30 years as I do now, but it will be of use to the peasants.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #412 - August 20, 2014, 11:17 PM

So they're putting you in a jar of formalin today then?

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #413 - August 20, 2014, 11:19 PM

Cheesy

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #414 - August 28, 2014, 09:58 PM

Land-Fish hunting will be great fun!

An unusual species of fish that can walk and breathe air shows that these animals may be more capable of adapting to life on land than previously thought, researchers say.

The new findings may help explain how the ancient fish ancestors of humans colonized the land, the researchers said.

The evolution of the ancient fish that switched from living in water to living on land about 400 million years ago is one of the most pivotal moments in the history of the animal kingdom. These first four-limbed animals, the so-called stem tetrapods, ultimately gave rise to amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, including the largest animals to ever live on the planet.

When fish started moving onto land, "the fossil record suggests there was a great deal of diversity among fish, and thus a lot of competition between the fish," said lead study author Emily Standen, an evolutionary and comparative biomechanist at the University of Ottawa in Canada. "One can imagine there was a pretty good drive for those fish that could to get out of that environment and make use of opportunities on land." [Video: Unusual Fish that Can Walk & Breathe Hold Clues to Animal Evolution]

But just how ancient fish made this shift to terrestrial life still remains largely a mystery. To learn more about what happened when the now-extinct fish tried living on land, scientists investigated the bichir (Polypterus senegalus), a modern African fish that has lungs for breathing air, and stubby fins it can use to pull itself along on land. The bichir possesses many traits similar to ones seen in fossils of stem tetrapods, the researchers said.

The scientists raised groups of juvenile bichir on land for eight months to see whether these fish differed in their anatomy and how they moved on land compared with bichir raised in the water. Researchers wanted to test how life on land might trigger changes in such fish.

Raising the fish on land posed some challenges.

"The number one difficulty we faced was how the heck to keep fish alive on land for months at a time," Standen told Live Science. "I designed and built an aquarium setup that had kept a few millimeters of water on its floor, enough to keep the fish moist. In addition, I used misters, like you see in the lettuce aisle at grocery stores to freshen the vegetables, to keep the fish moist and in a very humid environment that helped them survive."

The researchers discovered the bichir raised on land were dramatically different than those raised in water. The land-raised fish lifted their heads higher, held their fins closer to their bodies, took faster steps and undulated their tails less frequently and had fins that slipped less often than bichir raised in water. These land-based fish also underwent changes in their skeletons and musculature that likely paved the way for their changes in behavior. All in all, these alterations helped bichir move more effectively on land.

"I'm very surprised the fish survived so well on land," said Standen, who conducted this research while she was a postdoctoral researcher at McGill University in Montreal. "That was an initial gamble with this experiment — could the fish even be raised on land?"

These findings reveal the bichir is more plastic — that is, malleable — during its development than previously thought. This plasticity is what made this fish capable of growing up very differently depending on its environment.

Given the anatomical similarities found between the bichir and stem tetrapods, the researchers suggest the animals' common ancestor could have possessed the kind of plasticity seen in the bichir today. If so, "this raises the possibility that plasticity may have also existed in stem tetrapods to facilitate their transition to land," Standen said.

"Fish that had the plasticity to allow them to move out onto land benefited by removing themselves from a very competitive environment into a new habitat of plants and insects supplying shelter and food resources, free of major predation or competition," Standen added. Over time, traits permitted by such plasticity may have proven advantageous enough to evolve into permanent fixtures in these ancient animals, she said.

Uncovering evidence of whether or not stem tetrapods really displayed such plasticity is very challenging. "The best way to find such evidence is to unearth fossils of a single population of these stem tetrapod fishes and look for natural variation in it," study co-author Hans Larsson, a vertebrate paleontologist at McGill University, told Live Science. "If we can, we might be able to find fossils that showed this population demonstrated some degree of plasticity."

Future research can seek to uncover the genetic and developmental mechanisms underlying the plasticity of the bichir, Larsson said. The researchers also want to raise multiple generations of bichir on land "to see how far this plasticity goes, how consistent developmental changes are in the long run," Standen said.

http://www.livescience.com/47582-unusual-fish-bichir-animal-evolution.html [/quote]
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #415 - August 28, 2014, 10:28 PM

Yup, just spotted the same thing on New Scientist. Fish reared on land replay the transition to four legs

It was one of the key events in the evolution of animals – and now it has been replayed in the lab. Evolutionary biologists reared air-breathing fish on land for eight months and found that the experience encouraged the fish to develop skeletons better adapted for walking.

Etc, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajOkXJA_Wu4

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #416 - August 28, 2014, 10:57 PM

Further experiments over generations will be interesting.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #417 - August 28, 2014, 10:59 PM

Already been done. grin12

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #418 - August 29, 2014, 08:39 AM

Any interesting results?
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #419 - August 29, 2014, 09:52 AM

I have found in my dissertation project just handed in that there are more soil mites near woodland edges than hedgerow edges in arable field soils. This means better nutrient processing and cycling meaning more nutrients would be available near woodland edges given the fall of leaves from them. This could mean better profits for farmers given a lesser need for fertilisers and also reduce the input of petrochemicals onto land, saving resources.
  • Previous page 1 ... 12 13 1415 16 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »