Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Random Science Posts

(Read 100380 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #180 - March 27, 2014, 12:15 AM

One of the six crows was so demoralised by its lack of success after depositing all 12 of its stones into the wide tube for no reward, it wouldn't participate in any further experiments.

Cheesy Poor crow.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #181 - March 27, 2014, 12:16 AM

nonsense...  Aisha was 6 year old when she decided to marry Prophet Mr. PBUH.....  and became mother of all Muslim folks

Our mother Hazrat Aisha (r.a) a superior Muslim woman

Fools...

watch what 7 year old do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcW0XFb1io

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZzVoG0P38

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #182 - March 27, 2014, 02:30 AM

Dwarf planet discovery hints at a hidden Super Earth in solar system

• Orbits sun at greater distance than any other known object
    • 2012 VP113 may be shepherded by unseen planet
    • Discovery team call it VP, or 'Biden' after US vice president

Astronomers have increased the size of the observable solar system after spotting a 450-km wide object orbiting the sun.

The lump of ice and rock circles the sun at a greater distance than any known object, and never gets closer than 12bn kilometres – 80 times the distance from Earth to the sun.

If its size is confirmed it could qualify as a dwarf planet in the same category as Pluto. Researchers said the discovery proves the existence of the inner Oort cloud, a region of icy bodies that lies far beyond the orbit of Neptune – which at 4.5bn kilometres from the sun is the most remote planet in the solar system.

Until a proper name is decided upon, the body is known only as 2012 VP113. According to the science journal Nature, the team that discovered it call it VP for short, or "Biden", after US vice president Joe Biden.

Its pink tinge comes from radiation damage that alters the make-up of frozen water, methane and carbon dioxide on the surface.

Though exciting in its own right, the discovery raises a more tantalising prospect for many astronomers: that a "Super Earth" up to 10 times the mass of our planet orbits the sun at such a great distance that it has never been seen.

Astronomers found 2012 VP113 by taking snapshots of the night sky an hour or so apart with an instrument called the Dark Energy Camera on the US National Optical Astronomy Observatory telescope in Chile. When they turned the images into a time-lapse movie of the sky, they could see the new body moving against the background of stationary stars.

"This object has the most distant orbit known," Scott Sheppard at the Carnegie Institution of Washington told the Guardian. "It extends the known boundary of the observable solar system."

The object's orbit brings it as close as 12bn kilometres from the sun, and swings out as far as 67bn kilometres. There are comets that come from even farther out, but they pass much closer to our home planet.

The solar system has three distinct regions. Closest to the sun are the rocky planets, such as Venus, Earth and Mars. Farther out are the gas giants, such as Saturn and Jupiter. More distant still, beyond the orbit of Neptune, is a band of icy objects called the Kuiper belt.

In 2003, astronomers found an object beyond the Kuiper belt, which they called Sedna. For more than a decade, the object was a loner, an anomaly in the solar system. But the new body, 2012 VP113, lurks in the same no-man's land of space, leading astronomers to believe there could be thousands of similar bodies waiting to be discovered there.

"People wondered if Sedna was unique, and 10 years on, we have at last found another object that shows it is not. There is probably a large population of objects out there," Sheppard said.

The region of space where Sedna and 2012 VP113 were found is called the inner Oort cloud. Astronomers are unsure how this remote cloud of objects formed, but there are three competing theories. One is that a rogue planet was flung out of the early solar system and dragged the Oort cloud material with it.

Another is that the material was pulled out of the inner solar system by a passing star. The third option has the same job done by planets orbiting stars born in the same cluster as the sun.

"What is exciting about this work is that we know the inner Oort cloud is there. This is the second object we know of, and it's a smoking gun," said Meg Schwamb, a planetary scientist at the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics at Academica Sinica in Taiwan. By studying the objects, astronomers hope to confirm how the inner Oort cloud formed.

Sheppard found the new object, reported in Nature, with fellow astronomer, Chad Trujillo, who works at the Gemini Observatory in Hawaii. Trujillo was a co-discoverer of Sedna in 2003.

The latest work has already thrown up an intriguing possibility. The angle of the body's orbit and that of Sedna's are strikingly similar, an effect most likely caused by the gravitational tug of another, unseen body. One possibility is a "Super Earth" that traces so large an orbit around the sun that it has never been seen.

"If you took a Super Earth and put it a few hundred astronomical units out, the gravity could shepherd Sedna and this new object into the orbits they have," said Sheppard. An astronomical unit (AU) is around 150m kilometres, or the mean distance from Earth to the sun.

Earlier this month, Nasa's Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (Wise) reported the results from its search for "Planet X", a hypothesised planet far out in the solar system. It found no evidence for a new planet larger than Saturn within 10,000 AU of the sun. But Saturn is 95 times more massive than Earth, so a smaller Super Earth could go undetected in that region.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #183 - March 27, 2014, 03:12 AM

Yeah typical newspaper take on a science article. They forget to mention some details.

However, there are other ways to explain the orbital alignment that Sheppard's team found, including the pull of stars or "rogue" planets kicked out of our solar system eons ago.

For that reason, Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology, a co-discoverer of Sedna, isn't holding out hope of a giant planet just yet. "It is possible that some undiscovered large object out there is doing this, but there are likely many other explanations, too, most of them sadly more mundane."

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #184 - March 27, 2014, 03:29 AM

Oh here's a good one: Gunshot victims to be suspended between life and death

Doctors will try to save the lives of 10 patients with knife or gunshot wounds by placing them in suspended animation, buying time to fix their injuries

NEITHER dead or alive, knife-wound or gunshot victims will be cooled down and placed in suspended animation later this month, as a groundbreaking emergency technique is tested out for the first time.

Surgeons are now on call at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to perform the operation, which will buy doctors time to fix injuries that would otherwise be lethal.

"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Samuel Tisherman, a surgeon at the hospital, who is leading the trial. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

The technique involves replacing all of a patient's blood with a cold saline solution, which rapidly cools the body and stops almost all cellular activity. "If a patient comes to us two hours after dying you can't bring them back to life. But if they're dying and you suspend them, you have a chance to bring them back after their structural problems have been fixed," says surgeon Peter Rhee at the University of Arizona in Tucson, who helped develop the technique.

The whole thing is worth reading. Principles are sound, and my bet is they can make it work. It has a lot of potential.

It'll also give Lua more time to mutate your gonads. Afro

"Mvahahaha! Qvod! I vill now suspend you betveen life and death! Mvahahahaha!"

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #185 - March 27, 2014, 03:31 AM

If we don't invent a warp drive, this may be a good way to get to other planets, providing it can last for tens of thousands of years.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #186 - March 27, 2014, 03:33 AM

Problem is what happens if the fridge goes bung?

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #187 - March 27, 2014, 03:34 AM

A horrible agonising slow death of starvation at worst, a quick death while unconscious at best, is my first guess.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #188 - March 27, 2014, 03:39 AM

You'd need a fridge repair kit and some tucker. And beer. dance

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #189 - April 19, 2014, 05:09 AM

First Potential Habitable Earth-Sized Planet

It would be interesting to see, over the next years, if the gravitation strength, temperature, atmospheric composition, and a slew of other factors are similar as well. That would make this a very interesting find.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #190 - April 25, 2014, 12:43 AM

Sloths are full of shit

“For many mammals, an energy saving of 7 to 13 percent wouldn’t be particularly game-changing,” says Cliffe. In fact, some mammals like howler monkeys do regularly hang inverted without any organ-anchors. The difference is that “sloths have virtually no flexibility in their energy budget. They generate just about enough energy from their diet to move when and where required, but there is not much left in the tank afterwards. To a sloth, an energy saving of 7 to 13 percent is quite a big deal.”

They also take a very long time to digest their food, and they only urinate and defecate once a week. Most of the time, a sloth is carrying a third of their body weight in waste matter, which means that its stomach and bowels are very heavy. “It would be energetically very expensive, if not completely impossible, for a sloth to lift this extra weight with each breath were it not for the adhesions,” says Cliffe.

Awesome. Imagine having to carry around one third of your body weight in shit while you wait a whole week to take a dump. And you thought you had problems. Cheesy

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #191 - April 25, 2014, 01:35 AM

First Potential Habitable Earth-Sized Planet

It would be interesting to see, over the next years, if the gravitation strength, temperature, atmospheric composition, and a slew of other factors are similar as well. That would make this a very interesting find.

Nice. If there were more money in it, I would have tried to suck it up and learn some physics and pursue something in astronomy. I used to go to UH Manoa, and I've always regretted not taking advantage of more of their astronomy courses. I think some of the undergrad courses let you go to Mauna Kea...
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #192 - April 25, 2014, 10:19 AM

Good thing you didn't. Many who study cosmology/astrophysics and complete a doctorate in the field end up broke, in debt, and unable to find a job in academia since there are few research and teaching positions. However, it would be neat to visit the world's largest mountain.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #193 - April 25, 2014, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I never heard about the promising career potential of an astronomy student...But I would rather have taken astronomy electives than "Islam" electives like I wound up doing. Oh well.  wacko
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #194 - April 25, 2014, 02:37 PM

Must have been a waste of money and time. Speaking of astronomy, I'm afraid I might get stuck on the day shift at the UOL observatory. Grin. That would suck.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #195 - April 25, 2014, 02:41 PM

Well, then you can kick back and relax and chat with us on CEMB. Grin

Also, idle times in research/work study in universities is a great way to meet a girl.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #196 - April 25, 2014, 02:56 PM

Also, idle times in research/work study in universities is a great way to meet a girl.

Brian Greene, a physicist, once modelled a Quantum Cafe where macro mass like a smart, beautiful girl would spontaneously appear into space-time like quanta are modelled to do. The joke is that this has a higher chance of occurring than someone like me getting a girlfriend the normal way. Cheesy Cry
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #197 - April 25, 2014, 03:12 PM

Grin Come on, man. Don't sell yourself short! A little confidence and you should have no problem.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #198 - April 25, 2014, 03:27 PM

It's not really confidence I lack... I'm definitely attracted to women and whatnot, however I seem to have some asexual tendencies.

Like if had a choice between coitus and calculus, I would select the latter if the Math was important and I was about to reach a conclusion. I really love doing Math. Between posts, what do you I'm doing? Yep. Math! That being said, I'm definitely heterosexual;  if I was really attracted to the girl (like if she was really smart, or very beautiful), I would choose the former.

I could imagine why women may be put off by me:

"Hey boyfriend, want to watch a movie together?"
    Me: Meh, I am solving some differential equations"
    "Hey boyfriend, want to go to the amusement park with me?
    Me: Meh, busy with some linear algebra
    "Hey boyfriend, want to come to my place and make out?"
    Me: How about tomorrow? I'm stuck on some questions regarding thermodynamics"
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #199 - April 25, 2014, 03:38 PM

That's cool, not a priority then. Nobel Prize first, maybe a girl later? Grin

But, who knows, you might find some women who would find that arrangement ideal. One of the reasons my husband and I get along so well is that we both understand each other's desire to occasionally ignore the other person in favor of video games.  Geek
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #200 - April 25, 2014, 03:55 PM

That's cool, not a priority then. Nobel Prize first, maybe a girl later?

I don't want to die a virgin, unless it's like Isaac Newton where I die as a virgin, but also one of the greatest scientists of all time.

One of the reasons my husband and I get along so well is that we both understand each other's desire to occasionally ignore the other person in favor of video games.

That's great. I wish I could meet someone like you in real life. You mentioned you had a sister... is she by any chance 18? I'm just joking, I don't mean to sound petty or rude Smiley
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #201 - April 25, 2014, 04:06 PM

^ Cheesy Quod is already going to try to work his magic on her... http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=9160.7500

And as for meeting someone like that, I know there's other crazy female gamers and, perhaps more ideally, female physicists out there. With any luck, you'll run into one sometime, and then you could both meet on a convenience basis. Grin
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #202 - April 25, 2014, 04:12 PM

Smiley Oh... OK then.

Well, I have nothing interesting left to say...so....uhm.....

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #203 - April 25, 2014, 04:13 PM

Cheesy
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #204 - April 25, 2014, 04:53 PM

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #205 - April 25, 2014, 05:08 PM

^How is this a random science post?
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #206 - April 25, 2014, 05:36 PM

I never claimed that it was a science post.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #207 - April 25, 2014, 05:41 PM

Fair enough...
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #208 - April 25, 2014, 05:42 PM

I just thought that I would liven up this section of the forum Tongue

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #209 - April 25, 2014, 10:41 PM

Nice little one for abiogenesis research.

Spark of life: Metabolism appears in lab without cells

Metabolic processes that underpin life on Earth have arisen spontaneously outside of cells. The serendipitous finding that metabolism – the cascade of reactions in all cells that provides them with the raw materials they need to survive – can happen in such simple conditions provides fresh insights into how the first life formed. It also suggests that the complex processes needed for life may have surprisingly humble origins.

"People have said that these pathways look so complex they couldn't form by environmental chemistry alone," says Markus Ralser at the University of Cambridge who supervised the research.

But his findings suggest that many of these reactions could have occurred spontaneously in Earth's early oceans, catalysed by metal ions rather than the enzymes that drive them in cells today.

Etc...

• Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »