Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Fazıl Say _Turkish classical pianist charged with insulting Muslim values..

(Read 2147 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Fazıl Say _Turkish classical pianist charged with insulting Muslim values..
     OP - June 04, 2012, 02:37 AM

Fazıl Say _Well known Turkish classical pianist charged with insulting Muslim values..

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - An internationally acclaimed Turkish classical pianist is to stand trial on charges of insulting Muslim religious values in comments posted on Twitter, an Istanbul court ruled on Friday.

Fazil Say has performed with the New York Philharmonic, Berliner Symphoniker, Israel Philharmonic, Orchestre National de France and Tokyo Symphony Orchetra and has served as a cultural ambassador to the European Union The 42-year-old pianist quoted a well-known poem by the 11th Century Persian poet Omar Khayyam that ridiculed the hypocrisy of people who pretend to be pious.

State-run Anatolian news agency reported that the court "accepted an indictment against Say for allegations of explicitly insulting religious values." If convicted, the pianist could face 18 months in prison.

Religious conservatives in mostly Muslim Turkey have become more assertive since Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's Justice and Development Party (AKP) swept to power a decade ago, arousing fears among opponents that the republic's secular traditions are being eroded.

Khayyam's poem is in the form of a questions to believers: "You say rivers of wine flow in heaven, is heaven a tavern to you? You say two houris await each believer there, is heaven a brothel to you?"

In a separate tweet, Say poked fun at a muezzin, someone who makes the Muslim call to prayer.

"The muezzin finished the evening prayers in 22 seconds ... Why are you in such hurry? A lover? A raki table?" he asked, referring to the aniseed-flavored spirit popular in Turkey.

Say is expected to stand trial in the coming months in a case that shows how the tide has turned in Turkey since Erdogan was imprisoned in 1998 for reciting a poem that a court ruled was an incitement to religious hatred

Erdogan, the then mayor of Istanbul, had belonged to an Islamist party that had been banned after the military forced its leader to resign as prime minister a year earlier. He served six months in jail. The poem he had read contained the verses; "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers."

Fazil Say- Playing Turkish March

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Whp1kWZ8Y

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: Fazıl Say _Turkish classical pianist charged with insulting Muslim values..
     Reply #1 - June 04, 2012, 02:41 AM

Atheist Turkish pianist Say to face jail: lawyer

ANKARA (AFP) - Acclaimed Turkish composer and pianist Fazil Say faces trial in October on charges of insulting religious values, with a possible 18-month prison sentence, his lawyer said Friday.

"The trial will open on October 18 in an Istanbul court," Meltem Akyol told AFP, adding that Say, 42, would attend the hearing.

The multiple award-winning artist, who is a culture ambassador for the European Union, drew the ire of conservatives in Turkey with a series of provocative tweets about Islam.

The virtuoso will be tried under Article 216 of Turkish Penal Code, which makes insults against religious values and instigation of enmity punishable by prison terms, according to the lawyer.

Say said in April in an interview with the Hurriyet daily that he felt completely ostracised by Turkish society since he declared that he was an atheist and that the criticism he had received had highlighted a growing culture of intolerance.

"I think it's time for me to move to Japan," he told the daily.

"When I said that I was an atheist, everyone insulted me and the legal authorities jumped on everything that I wrote on Twitter. I am perhaps the first person anywhere in the world to be the object of a judicial inquiry for declaring that they are an atheist."

A senior lawmaker for the ruling Justice and Development (AKP) party, Samil Tayyar, has called Say a "son of a whore" and the composer now fears that he could end up behind bars.

"If I am sentenced to prison, my career will be finished," he told Hurriyet

FAZIL SAY İSTANBUL SYMPHONY (6) Alem Gecesi - Oriental Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLWOh2kGCs

• Re: Fazıl Say _Turkish classical pianist charged with insulting Muslim values..
     Reply #2 - June 04, 2012, 06:36 AM

banghead banghead Will this mad nonsense ever end ?

a well-known poem by the 11th Century Persian poet Omar Khayyam that ridiculed the hypocrisy of people who pretend to be pious.

This is probably truer today than when it was written.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #3 - June 04, 2012, 10:03 AM

Was this not illegal during Kemalist rule?
     Reply #4 - June 04, 2012, 12:27 PM

Was this not illegal during Kemalist rule?

which one are you thinking as illegal activity Skywalker,,  playing music, symphony or arresting people for playing music, symphony?

FAZIL SAY HAREM DE 1001 GECE 1001 NİGHTS İN THE HAREM VİOLİN CONCERTO PATRİCİA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnAIbp6rhK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jC6jGoX4zg

Beautiful... beautiful  .... fuck you baboons of  Turkey....  go to jungles, caves or live in trees.,   don't stay among human beings.. 

Reply #5 - June 04, 2012, 12:48 PM

which one are you thinking as illegal activity Skywalker,,  playing music, symphony or arresting people for playing music, symphony?

Lol. I'm talking about blasphemy. I find it strange that the kemalists would have blasphemy law, but on the other hand the kemalists by in large probably consider themselves muslims.  Secularist doesn't necessarily translate to liberalism.
     Reply #6 - June 04, 2012, 01:07 PM

Lol. I'm talking about blasphemy. I find it strange that the kemalists would have blasphemy law, but on the other hand the kemalists by in large probably consider themselves muslims.  Secularist doesn't necessarily translate to liberalism.

What did "Fazıl Say"  said/wrote  that can be termed as blasphemy Skywalker??

I don't think he uttered  a single word against Islam or Prophet of Islam or Quran or Hadith...

"He has stated in his initial testimony during the probe that he had no intention to humiliate any religion".... He was basically criticizing those who are exploiting religion for profit."

Islamic Rogues in power always use some excuses to arrest and persecute people

FAZIL SAY PLAYS BEETHOVEN   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZPrxvJ69zE

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »