Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Female role models

(Read 63489 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Female role models
     Reply #90 - September 06, 2012, 08:15 AM

Ibtihal Al-Khatib
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFAEEOx4js
     Reply #91 - September 06, 2012, 08:32 AM

Whoops  grin12

..was just a friendly comment to abood Tongue

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #92 - September 21, 2012, 03:40 PM

Angelina Jolie! Benazir Bhutto!
     Reply #93 - November 21, 2012, 07:42 AM

You know... I think we should aspire to be these female role models we seem to be lacking out there currently  piggy

Also, I would like to say Sundas and Maryam are also good female role models. Sundas, who I've met a few times now, is a confident and head strong woman, and that's exactly the sort of people you need to see changes in the world.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #94 - November 21, 2012, 07:58 AM

It's funny how going through school the only female 'role model' of a sort I heard of was Marie Curie (the physicist) and Florence Nightingale. -Although I didn't take them as my personal role models (I was looking to Einstein, Indiana Jones and the like Tongue )

I think it's good to have women recognised in their fields, but I still think it's also important to try and raise both girls and boys to be able to look to either women or men as a role model - why should we be limited to one or the other.

Reply #95 - November 21, 2012, 08:09 AM

I think it's good to have women recognised in their fields, but I still think it's also important to try and raise both girls and boys to be able to look to either women or men as a role model - why should we be limited to one or the other.

Absolutely Stardust! Good point  Afro

Reply #96 - November 21, 2012, 08:52 AM

*ahem*

http://janetmock.com   Smiley

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #97 - November 21, 2012, 11:17 AM

I really love Ana from The Young Turks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmYpRuF2jQ&feature=g-all-u

I love the way she carries herself, and she's smart, confident and gorgeous whistling2

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #98 - November 21, 2012, 11:19 AM

I also love one of the reporters that sits on a political panel on Abu Dhabi. I don't know her name though :/ She's fierce! *will post back when I get her name/pic*

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #99 - November 21, 2012, 03:42 PM

Gina Carano

001_wub

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #100 - November 21, 2012, 05:24 PM

It's funny how going through school the only female 'role model' of a sort I heard of was Marie Curie (the physicist) and Florence Nightingale. -Although I didn't take them as my personal role models (I was looking to Einstein, Indiana Jones and the like Tongue )

always wanted to wear the Indiana Jones hat no?

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #101 - November 21, 2012, 06:25 PM

always wanted to wear the Indiana Jones hat no?

Of course! And the exploring too  dance to be out there on an adventure.

• Female role models
     Reply #102 - December 07, 2012, 03:50 PM

Fadila souissi!

• Female role models
     Reply #103 - December 07, 2012, 08:26 PM

Who is she? What does she do?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Female role models
     Reply #104 - December 07, 2012, 08:48 PM

She is News Anchor from Dubai..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Female role models
     Reply #105 - December 07, 2012, 09:23 PM

Aung San Suu Kyi : im surprised no one has mentioned her or maybe i have missed it.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Female role models
     Reply #106 - December 07, 2012, 09:25 PM

Yeah she's awesome. Afro

• Female role models
     Reply #107 - December 07, 2012, 09:34 PM

Plasters her face and fries her hair, by the looks of it.

• Female role models
     Reply #108 - December 07, 2012, 09:37 PM

Cheesy Yeah I was thinking much the same.

• Female role models
     Reply #109 - December 07, 2012, 09:42 PM

Tongue

• Female role models
     Reply #110 - December 07, 2012, 09:46 PM

I meantioned her earlier:

I also love one of the reporters that sits on a political panel on Abu Dhabi. I don't know her name though :/ She's fierce! *will post back when I get her name/pic*

But didn't know her name. I used to sit there and watch her ask tough questions and get guests in heated debates. She's very masculine too..I like that for some reason Tongue

• Female role models
     Reply #111 - December 07, 2012, 09:48 PM

I meantioned her earlier:

But didn't know her name. I used to sit there and watch her ask tough questions and get guests in heated debates. She's very masculine too.........

Cheesy Cheesy

so Jila .. you want to become news Anchor and beat up men??

• Female role models
     Reply #112 - December 17, 2012, 12:35 AM

Aung San Suu Kyi

Aung San Suu Kyi was born on 19 June 1945 in Rangoon (now named Yangon).[ ] Her father, Aung San, founded the modern Burmese army and negotiated Burma's independence from the British Empire in 1947; he was assassinated by his rivals in the same year. She grew up with her mother, Khin Kyi, and two brothers, Aung San Lin and Aung San Oo, in Rangoon. Aung San Lin died at the age of eight, when he drowned in an ornamental lake on the grounds of the house.[19] Her elder brother immigrated to San Diego, California, becoming a United States citizen

Suu Kyi's mother, Khin Kyi, gained prominence as a political figure in the newly formed Burmese government. She was appointed Burmese ambassador to India and Nepal in 1960, and Aung San Suu Kyi followed her there, she studied in the Convent of Jesus and Mary School, New Delhi and graduated from Lady Shri Ram College in New Delhi with a degree in politics in 1964.   Suu Kyi continued her education at St Hugh's College, Oxford, obtaining a B.A. degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics in 1969.  According to a classmate, Suu Kyi fell in love with Tariq Hyder, a Pakistani student, during her second year in Oxford.  Their relationship was not well received by her circle of friends and it soon ended.  After graduating, she lived in New York City with a family friend Ma Than E, who was once a popular Burmese pop singer. She worked at the United Nations for three years, primarily on budget matters, writing daily to her future husband, Dr. Michael Aris. In late 1971, Aung San Suu Kyi married Aris, a scholar of Tibetan culture, living abroad in Bhutan.  The following year she gave birth to their first son, Alexander Aris, in London; their second son, Kim, was born in 1977. Between 1985 and 1987, Suu Kyi was working toward an M.Phil in Burmese literature as a research student at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London. She was elected as an Honorary Fellow in 1990.  For two years she was a Fellow at the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies (IIAS) in Shimla, India. She also worked for the government of the Union of Burma.

Aris was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997 which was later found to be terminal. Despite appeals from prominent figures and organisations, including the United States, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan and Pope John Paul II, the Burmese government would not grant Aris a visa, saying that they did not have the facilities to care for him, and instead urged Aung San Suu Kyi to leave the country to visit him. She was at that time temporarily free from house arrest but was unwilling to depart, fearing that she would be refused re-entry if she left, as she did not trust the military junta's assurance that she could return

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhrEzb7H3u0

Although old timer.. she is indeed a role model .. not just for females but to every one..

• Female role models
     Reply #113 - December 17, 2012, 10:41 AM

Yes but with all the support and priviledge she had plenty of support and the foundation of thinking was built and insisted upon by her mother. Her position and status being a huge influence on her ability to access opportunities.  I hope I too can extend such priviledges to my own children despite the obstacles in their way.

And it just proves how far women have come and how far they still need to go!
  • Female role models
     Reply #114 - December 17, 2012, 03:11 PM

Khadija al-Salami ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDs-gd5MbC0

The Movie "The Scream" directed by Khadija al-Salami ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZ0JBZp7ko

Those of you who watched the movie. "A Stranger in Her Own City"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkPFZQA6EM

was directed by her..

Khadija al-Salami (born 1966, in Sana'a, Yemen), is the first Yemeni female film producer. Al-Salami resides in Paris, France.

At an early age, al-Salami was sent to live with relatives after her mother divorced her father over severe domestic abuse. At age 11, she was forced by her uncle into an early marriage and was raped by her husband. Some weeks later, after much protest and disobedience, her husband returned her to her uncle, who immediately disowned her and returned her to her single mother. She escaped the immense family and society pressure by finding employment with the local television station and simultaneously attending school in the mornings.

At the age of 16, she received a scholarship to finish secondary school in the United States. Subsequently, she enrolled at the Mount Vernon College for Women, in Washington, D.C.. After a period in Yemen and Paris, she returned to Washington to earn her Master's degree in communications at the American university. For her thesis, she produced her first film.

Since then, al-Salami has produced several documentaties for various television networks in France and Yemen. The primary focus of her documentaries focus on women, possibly as a reflection of her life experience. She has also co-authored with her current husband, the American Charles Hoots, an autobiography, The Tears of Sheba.

al-Salami currently serves as Press and Cultural attaché and Director of the Yemeni Information Centre at the Embassy of Yemen in Paris

• Female role models
     Reply #115 - December 17, 2012, 03:24 PM

Marjane Satrapi

I love Persepolis

• Female role models
     Reply #116 - December 17, 2012, 03:33 PM

I know I shouldn't, but a lady with a cigarette in her hands is so hot to me

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Female role models
     Reply #117 - December 17, 2012, 11:11 PM

For you billy :

Fumando espero (al hombre quien yo quero) Smoking I wait (for the man I love) The song was forbidden in Spain for a number of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5wqPlSyXQ

For some reason it is only part of the song - full version here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA9t6TC9jo4

Fumar es un placer, genial, sensual...
    Fumando espero al hombre que yo quiero,
    tras los cristales de alegres ventanales
    Y mientras fumo mi vida no consumo
    porque flotando el humo me suelo adormecer.

Tendida en mi sofá, fumar y amar,
    ver a mi amado feliz y enamorado,
    sentir sus labios besar con besos sabios.
    Y el devaneo sentir con más deseo,
    cuando sus ojos siento sedientos de pasión.

Por eso estando mi bien
    es mi fumar un eden.
    Dame el humo de tu boca
    Dame que en mi,
    pasión provoca.
    Corre que quiero
    enloquecer de placer,
    sintiendo ese calor
    del humo embriagador
    que acaba por prender
    la llama ardiente del amor.

La hora de inquietud con él no es cruel
    sus espirales son sueños celestiales,
    y forman nubes que hacia la gloria suben
    y envuelta en ella, su chispa es una estrella,
    que luce clara y bella con límpido fulgor.

Smoking I wait for the man I love
    behind the wide panes of pleasant windows
    and as I smoke I consume not life,
    tending to sleep in the drifting smoke.

To lie on my sofa, smoke and love
    to see my lover happy loving me
    to feel his lips kiss with wise kisses
    and more keenly desire the affair,
    feeling the thirst for passion in his eyes.

When my love is near
    smoking is an Eden.
    Give me the smoke from your mouth,
    give, for it sparks
    passion within.
    Run to me; I want
    to go crazy with pleasure
    feeling the heat of
    intoxicating smoke
    that has just ignited
    love's burning flame.

The restless hour is not cruel, with him
    his spirals are celestial dreams
    forming clouds that ascend into glory
    and wrapped in the mist, his spark is a star
    shining with beauty clear and bright.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • Female role models
     Reply #118 - December 17, 2012, 11:42 PM

Oh how louche - I imagine myself in a smoke filled room as she sings with a mysterious Carmen like Spanish gypsy lady sat opposite me

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Female role models
     Reply #119 - December 19, 2012, 10:27 AM

I love Persepolis

I love Persepolis too! We watched the film at school for literature; it was awesome.
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »