Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Translations

(Read 4265 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Translations
     OP - May 08, 2012, 03:36 PM

Hi all

If anyone here speaks more than 1 language (presumably one of those being English) then please consider translating one or more of the subtitles on the videos at http://youtube.com/user/ThisIsTheTruthUncut

I know that translation can be a bit monotonous, after all I had to write out the script and get the timings correct, but if you have time then it would be appreciated as I think it is important to have these videos in as many languages as possible.

My email is thisisthetruthuncut@gmail.com

Thanks

TR

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
  • Re: Translations
     Reply #1 - May 09, 2012, 09:08 AM

Emailed.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #2 - May 09, 2012, 09:23 AM

http://www.filefactory.com/file/o18xo1yhpqd/n/EnglishSubtitles_zip

Just unzip, open each one in notepad and replace the English.  Then email the files to me, thanks Smiley

Reply #3 - May 09, 2012, 09:46 AM

I am fluent in Italian, but I really suck at translating: it's as if my brain can think in "Italian mode" or "English mode" separately, but my thoughts have a hard time crossing from one mode into the other.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #4 - May 09, 2012, 10:40 AM

Come on, give it a try. This is fun!

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #5 - May 09, 2012, 01:02 PM

I am going to do Spanish for you now. Smiley

I am fluent in Italian, but I really suck at translating: it's as if my brain can think in "Italian mode" or "English mode" separately, but my thoughts have a hard time crossing from one mode into the other.

You don't need to think in "Italian mode" to translate it. Just copy paste each sentence into Google Translate and then read through it and correct the grammatical mistakes.

Google translate virtually never makes vocabulary errors only grammatical errors (i.e. verb tenses, gender agreement, etc.). The only time Google Translate makes vocab errors is for words that have more than one meaning so you need to be weary of those.

Sometimes if a sentance has a lot of adjectives and adverbs google translate gets confused, in those case you can strip out all the adjectives and adverbs and then add them back in afterwards. For example instead of pasting "the young English boy ran slowly around the track", just paste "the boy ran around the track" and then add the translated words for "young", "english", and "slowly" afterwards.

From my experience this is the most efficient way of translating text.

Another trick to determine how to say specific phrases, scientific terms, or place names is to use wikipedia. For example the phrase "Natural Selection", how would you say that in Italian? Simply look up "Natural Selection" on wikipedia and then on the left hand side it lists all the other languages that this article is written in, click on "Italiano" and it will then show you that "Natural Selection" is "Selezione naturale". You can also do the same thing for place names, for example from wikipedia I can find out that the Italian for "Mecca" is "La Mecca".

The other advantage of google translate is that it adds in all the accents and special characters for you so you do not need to work out how to type them in Microsoft Word.
     Reply #6 - May 09, 2012, 03:38 PM

Just sent the first Spanish translation to you in an email with the subject "Spanish Translation". The other two will take a while longer to do because they are longer but I am working on it.
     Reply #7 - May 09, 2012, 04:28 PM

I'll wait till I finish all of them before sending. Otherwise yeah, I finished the first one too.

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #8 - May 14, 2012, 08:47 AM

Tony, I didn't receive your email, could you try again?

Reply #9 - May 14, 2012, 09:02 AM

You don't need to think in "Italian mode" to translate it. Just copy paste each sentence into Google Translate and then read through it and correct the grammatical mistakes.

Google translate virtually never makes vocabulary errors only grammatical errors (i.e. verb tenses, gender agreement, etc.). The only time Google Translate makes vocab errors is for words that have more than one meaning so you need to be weary of those.

Sometimes if a sentance has a lot of adjectives and adverbs google translate gets confused, in those case you can strip out all the adjectives and adverbs and then add them back in afterwards. For example instead of pasting "the young English boy ran slowly around the track", just paste "the boy ran around the track" and then add the translated words for "young", "english", and "slowly" afterwards.

From my experience this is the most efficient way of translating text.

Another trick to determine how to say specific phrases, scientific terms, or place names is to use wikipedia. For example the phrase "Natural Selection", how would you say that in Italian? Simply look up "Natural Selection" on wikipedia and then on the left hand side it lists all the other languages that this article is written in, click on "Italiano" and it will then show you that "Natural Selection" is "Selezione naturale". You can also do the same thing for place names, for example from wikipedia I can find out that the Italian for "Mecca" is "La Mecca".

The other advantage of google translate is that it adds in all the accents and special characters for you so you do not need to work out how to type them in Microsoft Word.

Uh, no.
    Google translate, like any machine translator, does an extremely poor job at translating English into Italian and vice versa, except with very short simple sentences.

For me the process of correcting it afterwards is analogous to rewriting the whole thing from scratch.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #10 - May 14, 2012, 10:25 AM

Did the first one in Afrikaans and mailed it  Tongue
     Reply #11 - May 14, 2012, 10:45 AM

I'm your translator to Dutch, but no time now, will do it in the weekend.

<dust>: i love tea!!!
    <dust>: milky tea
    <three>: soooo gentle for my neck (from the inside)
    <dust>: mm
    <three>: it's definitely not called neck
    <dust>: lol
    <three>: what's the word i'm looking for
    <dust>: throat
     Reply #12 - May 14, 2012, 10:50 AM

Just an update to say it's going to take slightly longer than I first said it would  grin12

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #13 - May 14, 2012, 01:11 PM

Tony, I didn't receive your email, could you try again?

Maybe it got blocked. Did you check your junk box? If no luck then when I finish the next one (perhaps later today). I will post a direct download link for both of them on this thread.
     Reply #14 - May 14, 2012, 01:52 PM

Not in the spam, I have 14 spam and none of them with an attachment.  Did you send it to thisisthetruthuncut@gmail.com?

Got the Afrikaans one, thanks!

Reply #15 - May 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

Yeah I sent it on 5/9/2012. Its from a hotmail address.

Do you want me to resend it now? Or do you want to wait until i finish the next one and send the two together at once?
     Reply #16 - May 14, 2012, 07:29 PM

Since the email did not work. Here's the first two in Spanish.

You can download by right-clicking on the links below and choosing "save as...":

http://explorethemed.com/docs/AlfredKroner-Es.txt

http://explorethemed.com/docs/AllisonPetePalmer-Es.txt

Very interesting accounts by the way. It is so sinister the way this whole thing was set up.....
     Reply #17 - May 18, 2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks Tony!

Just checking with Google Translate.

00:00:19.00,00:00:21.98
    I was * amazed *
    (HE was amazed)

00:00:31.50,00:00:42.48
    But other scientists. Are dubious at first, then state what we believe.
    (what THEY believe)

Is google translate screwing this up, or have you misunderstood the contexts?

Reply #18 - May 18, 2012, 12:42 PM

What I sent you was correct.

The google tranlsator will make grammatical mistakes which need to be corrected as you go along, so it is not suprising that when you threw it back into the translator to view the english there were some mistakes.

00:00:19.00,00:00:21.98
    I was * amazed *
    (HE was amazed)

That is because in the Spanish Imperfect, the 1st (I) and 3rd person (he) forms are identical. Both are translated as "Estaba asombrado", so when you put that back into English, google translate will not know which to translate it to.

00:00:31.50,00:00:42.48
    But other scientists. Are dubious at first, then state what we believe.
    (what THEY believe)

No idea why it gave you "we" instead of "they" with that one, but the google translate is not that good with grammar. What I sent you was correct.

By the way, because the recording is a formal interview and not a conversation between friends. I have used "Usted" (Ud.) instead of "you", which uses the third person. So if you try to throw all the text back into the translator to see the English, it may well translate many of your questions as "Did he say?" instead of "Did you say?". Don't worry about that, it is correct, it is the way a Spanish speaker would address an academic in a formal interview.
     Reply #19 - May 18, 2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks Tony, the subtitles have now been uploaded to the videos on both channels!

Reply #20 - May 18, 2012, 08:06 PM

Hey I took a look at it, and it seems like if the sentences are really long then they cut short.

For example at 00:12, it should say:

00:00:12.00,00:00:18.98
    Cuando nos reunimos con él y  le mostramos los aspectos de los milagros científicos del Corán y la Sunnah

In the youtube video here, it says only:

Cuando nos reunimos con él y  le mostramos los aspectos de los milagros científicos del Corán y

The last two words have been cut-off. Is there a maximum length that the sentences can be?
     Reply #21 - May 20, 2012, 10:38 PM

Hey I took a look at it, and it seems like if the sentences are really long then they cut short.

I see the whole sentence there at 12 seconds including the last 2 words, and the much longer one at 1 minute 6 secs (it appears over two lines). I'm using firefox.
     Reply #22 - May 21, 2012, 01:25 PM

Ok now I see what the issue is.

I was doing it wrong. When you click on the icon that says "Interactive Transcripts" below the video itself, it opens up a box with the text below teh video. That is where some of the words get cut-off.

But on the video itself, you can also click where it says "CC" to get the captions to appear in English, and then click on it a second time to change to Spanish, and then the captions actually appear on the video itself and they are not cut short.
     Reply #23 - May 22, 2012, 03:10 PM

Here's the Bill hay one:

http://explorethemed.com/docs/WilliamHay-Es.txt

Let me know if you have any others you need.
     Reply #24 - May 30, 2012, 02:50 PM

TR, I sent Dutch translations for Kroner and Hay.

Reply #25 - May 30, 2012, 02:58 PM

Could you email them to thisisthetruth at gmail com please?

Reply #26 - May 30, 2012, 02:59 PM

Oh, you already have - I didn't realise your post was from today.  Thanks!

Reply #27 - May 30, 2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks so much everyone!

Reply #28 - May 30, 2012, 04:36 PM

Oh, you already have - I didn't realise your post was from today.  Thanks!

My pleasure, glad to help

Reply #29 - June 12, 2012, 03:18 PM

Hey I saw there is a 4th video, with Prof. Tom Armstrong. Do you want a translation for that one too?
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »