Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Cyberstalking, Harassment and Bullying

(Read 14020 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Cyberstalking, Harassment and Bullying
     OP - April 30, 2012, 01:48 AM

Cyberstalking, bullying and harassment are serious matters with dire consequences for people around the world. This thread will serve as a resource bank for information about cyberstalking, and related crimes, and the laws around the world pertaining to these issues.

Arm yourself with information about what cyberstalking/harassment/bullying involves, how to identify people who do these things, and what options you would have in your jurisdiction if you or anyone you know became a target of a cyberstalker/bully. Also, please share any info you find about this issue, so that others can learn and benefit from it too.

From Wikipedia page about cyberstalking.

Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals, or an organization. It may include false accusations, monitoring, making threats, identity theft, damage to data or equipment, the solicitation of minors for sex, or gathering information in order to harass. The definition of "harassment" must meet the criterion that a reasonable person, in possession of the same information, would regard it as sufficient to cause another reasonable person distress. Cyberstalking is different from spatial or offline stalking. However, it sometimes leads to it, or is accompanied by it.

Summary of laws pertaining to cyberstalking in UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland.

Canada - Criminal Harassment: Stalking -- It's NOT Love.

Pakistan - Sec 13 (lxxii 2007, Pakistan) Apprehends Cyberstalkers

Add anything you want to this thread about your experiences with cyberstalkers, or info about this criminal matter that you have. I'll add it to the OP.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: Cyberstalking, Harassment and Bullying
     Reply #1 - April 30, 2012, 04:18 AM

Berbs must be distraught.
     Reply #2 - April 30, 2012, 04:22 AM

I would like to report Prince Spinoza for cyber stalking me. Tongue

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #3 - April 30, 2012, 04:50 AM

Berbs must be distraught.

I would like to report Prince Spinoza for cyber stalking me. Tongue

Grin

We jest, but yeah... there's some serious whackjobs on the 'net.

Cyberstalking turns web technologies into weapons

In Ohio, a high school student committed suicide after her ex-boyfriend sent nude photos of her to her classmates via text message from his cellphone.

In Florida, a female teen stabbed and killed a romantic rival after exchanging months of threats on the social networking sites MySpace and Facebook.

In Wyoming, a woman was raped by a stranger when her ex-boyfriend posted an ad on Craigslist.com calling for a man to go to her house, pretend to attack her and act out a "rape fantasy."

Stories like these are becoming more common since widespread Internet use has given rise to a new crime: cyberstalking.

"Each year, 3.4 million adults are victims of stalking, and one-in-four has become the target of cyberstalking - threatening behaviour or unwanted advances that use computer communications," says Karen Baker, director of the U.S. National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC).

Eighty per cent of stalking targets and 60 per cent of cyberstalking victims are women, reports the U.S. National Violence Against Women Survey. Forty per cent of women have faced dating violence via social media, found a February 2011 DontDateHimGirl.com poll of 700 respondents, who reported that former dates had sent them harassing text messages, posted disturbing status updates about them on Facebook and fired off angry "tweets" about them on Twitter.

When police failed to stop a cyberstalker who posted threatening videos about her on YouTube, an Oklahoma woman decided to take technology into her own hands.

"I've taught myself how to block people from social networking sites, monitor Google searches of my home address and take screen shots of online interactions so I have photographic proof of harassment," she revealed.

She has found bullet holes in her truck and moved to a new town to evade harassment. Her name and location are withheld for her protection.

In California, a cyberstalker uploaded a photo of a female pole-vaulter from a track-and-field website and created an unofficial fan page that went viral, making the young athlete the object of anonymous - and unwanted - mass obsession.

"This form of harassment may be especially difficult to stop," says Michelle Garcia, director of the Stalking Resource Center at the National Center for Victims of Crime. "But it can be especially terrifying because harassers do act out the threats they make online."

Thirty-four per cent of female college students and 14 per cent of male ones have broken into a romantic partner's email, found a 2010 study at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina.

"The advent of cyberculture is forcing young people to ask questions never posed before," says Sloane Burke, the study's author. "Is texting someone 30 times a day affectionate, or abnormal? And how can you tell when the attention has gone too far and it's time to report it to the police?"

There is a standard set of precautions for safeguarding yourself against a potential cyberstalker: creating computer passwords that are difficult to crack; being selective about who you admit to a social networking site; and not sending social security, credit card or other personal information via the Internet.

Victims of online stalking are supposed to immediately alert police and providers of Internet services and sites where the threat arose.

"We're also pressuring law enforcement authorities and social networking companies to ramp up their own efforts," says Garcia.

There are laws that address the use of technology in stalking. The U.S. Congress is considering a bill (called "Simplifying the Ambiguous Law, Keeping Everyone Reliably Safe Act" or the STALKERS Act) that would extend the definition of stalking to include cyberstalking.

But there's plenty of room online to improve Internet security, safety advocates say.

That's particularly true of Facebook, the social networking site that Mark Zuckerberg, its 27-year-old founder, developed from an early prototype that he used to humiliate a woman he dated while he was an undergraduate at Harvard University in Boston.

Facebook, which boasts 600 million clients, is criticized for being too vulnerable to hacking; for lacking online and telephone customer service representatives; and for taking too long to wrest a compromised account away from hackers. Facebook did not respond to requests from a reporter to respond to these criticisms.

Twenty per cent of online stalkers pester their victims using social networking, reports the National Centre for Cyberstalking Research at the University of Bedfordshire in England.

Sixteen per cent of cyberstalkers, the English researchers found, use blogging as their means of attack.

"My abuser would create blogs about me - or post messages on existing ones that called me a 'slutty whore,' " says Alexis Moore, founder of the California group Survivors in Action, which supports victims of any crime, including domestic violence, sexual assault and cyberstalking.

An estimated four per cent of cyberstalkers lurk on matchmaking sites such as eHarmony, Nerve and OkCupid.

"If a date goes bad or someone breaks up, the jilted person can use the very sites through which they met their victims to turn around and harass them," says Julie Spira, creator of the site Cyberdatingexpert.com.

Advocacy organizations are taking various safety steps.

Administrators at the National Center for Victims of Crime are developing a 15-minute training video about cyberstalking for use by police departments.

Counsellors at the Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter train survivors of domestic violence on the safe way to use social networking sites and technologies.

Across Canada and the United States, representatives from Working to Halt Online Abuse, which is based in Maine, are speaking about awareness and prevention at schools, conferences and businesses.

Cyberstalking has been fuelled by two factors: the rapid-fire development of technology that creates a potentially large, instantaneous audience, and the nonchalance with which people use this technology to divulge their most intimate details.

"People lose track of the normal boundaries they would have in faceto-face relationships," says Montana Miller, a professor of popular culture at Ohio's Bowling Green State University. "Those with whom you're communicating are not there, right in front of your face, to react. Therefore, the consequences of your actions - whether you're revealing something intimate or saying something mean - are dramatically lessened."

Technologies that foster the "disinhibition effect" are widespread and quickly advancing.

In Tennessee, an adult man used a PlayStation listserv to badger a female tween he'd never met to send him photos.

Foursquare, a mobile-device application introduced in 2009 by New York City-based Foursquare Labs, now allows users to track others' locations.

Chrome OS, a "cloud computing" system unveiled in 2010 by Google, stores computer files in a centralized system - no longer on an individual computer's hard drive or a company's proprietary server. Such a system may make data storage easier, but it's also increased the possible exposure of anything you write or do online.

A new mobile facial recognition application that Google will market in 2011 will allow users to snap strangers' pictures and then access their complete Google Profile contact information - if Google succeeds in its pledge to first address the privacy-invasion issues that this tool raises.

"Technology gives stalkers more tools than ever before to monitor, surveil and threaten their victims," says Jayne Hitchcock, president of Working to Halt Online Abuse. "And the way people interact online only compounds this problem."

Source

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #4 - April 30, 2012, 05:27 AM

In Ohio, a high school student committed suicide after her ex-boyfriend sent nude photos of her to her classmates via text message from his cellphone.

Never give your nude pics to ANYONE!! Especially in highschool. 

Most cyber bullying can be stopped before it even starts if people actually take the time to protect themselves from it. I am always surprised at the amount of personal information people upload onto the internet. COMMON PEOPLE you post shit on the net and and start crying when others see it. (Like the girl mentioned above)

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #5 - April 30, 2012, 05:46 AM

It's easy to write this off as a problem of "individual responsibility" but that is only half the picture. There are systemic, social and economic factors that are not in any one person's control that also create a culture where stalking, harassment and bullying are seen as "the victim's own fault". Best not to go down that route. Yes people need to be more responsible with their own actions, that's why I started this thread, to raise awareness about some very serious problems with the Internet. At the same time, just like any other kind of violence, it's not always as simple as "the victim should've known better". We can't just excuse the behaviour of bullies, stalkers and criminals.

Reply #6 - May 02, 2012, 09:35 AM

I had a female cyber-stalker once.  Huh? Was very upsetting as this girl just latched onto me online and at first it was ok as I thought she just wanted to be friends, but hell was I wrong!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

She declared her undying love for me, told me that she "knew" that I felt the same as she is pyschic  mysmilie_977 and then when I told her that I only saw her as a friend and that I certainly didn't feel the same way, she proceeded to stalk me for months and send me numerous threatening emails and FB messages (back when I had FB) and she even went so far as to hack into my FB account (which I found out 'cause of security stuff that I had on my FB account that meant that I would get a text if someone logged into my account from another computer). It was awful and the things she said to me, saying that she knew that I had another girl-friend (which was like WTF are you on?)  idiot2, saying that she was going to bash my head if for leaving her  015 (we were never together you bitch!), saying that I would never find anyone like her and that I would end up homeless, and her saying that she knew where I lived and that she had sat outside my place etc... She also accused me of leading her on and her saying that now that I'd made it clear that I like her (LIKE WTF??? CRAZY FUCKING BITCH) that I had to be with her now, her saying that we were destined to be together and that no one could ever make me happy like her. GAWD it drove me crazy and made me scared lol,  finmad must be something about me that must make psychos sniff me out from a mile away even online.  finmad finmad finmad

I ended up swearing alot at her ('cause being rational with her hadn't worked) to tell her to fuck off and told her that if she wants to come bash my head in to fucking well come do it 'cause I would be waiting and that if she ever came near me that I'd call the cops hey-pronto and that I'd made copies of every one of her messages and emails as evidence. I still have copies just in case.

After about 6 months of this shit she just quit one day. OMG was she obsessive though.  no It was traumatizing lol.

Where she got the idea that I was interested in her in "that way" I'll never know, as I didn't give off any "I-love-you" vibes what-so-ever.  finmad It was an experience of a life time I tell ya, never want a repeat of that, ever, ever again!
     Reply #7 - May 02, 2012, 09:38 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I shouldn't laugh, but that is funny as a party story.   Cheesy Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - May 02, 2012, 09:56 AM

I know Berbs, it is funny nnooowww, but when it was happening it wasn't at all. Talk about fucked up!  Roll Eyes
     Reply #9 - February 11, 2013, 09:49 PM

The UK has a National Stalking Helpline: 0808 802 0300 or e-mail advice@stalkinghelpline.org

Information about Canadian anti-stalking measures here.

Reply #10 - July 27, 2016, 01:20 PM

I would like to add this article about online recruit and  grooming for terrorism.  Our children and youth are at risk.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-manual-al-qaeda-and-now-isis-use-to-brainwash-people-online-2015-7

The unreligion, only one calorie
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »