Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Young Atheist's Handbook Launch [10/07/12 @ Conway Hall, London]

(Read 19742 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Young Atheist's Handbook Launch [10/07/12 @ Conway Hall, London]
     OP - April 24, 2012, 11:09 AM

Venue: Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4RL
    Date: Tuesday 10th July 2012
    Time: 6:00pm - 9:30pm

Details

Join us and our excellent line up of speakers to celebrate the launch of Alom Shaha's new book The Young Atheist's Handbook: Living a Good Life Without God.

The event will include drinks, entertainment, and a presentation and reading from the author Alom Shaha.

Speakers

• A.C. Grayling, Philosopher
    • Robin Ince, Acclaimed comedian
    • Adam Rutherford, Editor at the science journal Nature and geneticist
    • Samira Ahmed, Journalist, broadcaster, and presenter

Tickets

• £5.00 General admittance ticket
    • £12.50 General admittance (including an advanced copy of the book at a very special discount rate)

All proceeds go toward's the BHA’s faith schools work.

About the book

This is a book for anyone who thinks about what they should believe and how they should live. It’s for those who may need the facts and the ideas, as well as the courage, to break free from inherited beliefs. In this powerful narrative, Alom Shaha shows that it is possible to live a compassionate, fulfilling, and meaningful life without God.

"A book that destroys the cliche of the atheist as joyless rationalist and shows the humanity, love, and concern that often lies behind godless thinking."
    — Robin Ince, writer and comedian

"More than just a great handbook, this is an honest and often very moving story about valuing truth over hope, even in the face of grief."
    — Tim Minchin, comedian

"Illuminates the route to a better destination for all those who seek what Alom found, namely, that precious liberty of mind which makes its possessor open to all good things."
    — A.C. Grayling, philosopher and author of The Good Book

[humanism.org.uk]

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
  • Re: The Young Atheist's Handbook Launch [10/07/12 @ Conway Hall, London]
     Reply #1 - April 24, 2012, 11:13 AM

Alom Shaha's excellent cover story from the latest issue of New Humanist can be found here.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #2 - May 11, 2012, 10:03 PM

Isn’t Samira Ahmed a muslim? Not that I’m saying muslims shouldn’t be allowed, but it did surprise me… And I absolutely adore AC Grayling.
     Reply #3 - May 11, 2012, 11:51 PM

Maybe Samira Ahmed is an agnostic, atheist, or just a liberal Muslim engaging with the issues? She's a good journalist, I like her. Although Krishnan rules Channel 4 News, sorry Samira.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - May 12, 2012, 08:43 PM

Who's going? I'll be there.
     Reply #5 - May 12, 2012, 08:54 PM

Maybe Samira Ahmed is an agnostic, atheist, or just a liberal Muslim engaging with the issues? She's a good journalist, I like her. Although Krishnan rules Channel 4 News, sorry Samira.

I've variously heard her referred to as having a Muslim background and being raised as a Muslim, but I've never heard her clarify the point. She's an excellent journalist and an incredibly smart individual. I never finished watching Islam Unveiled (a Chan 4 Dispatches documentary) but, whilst I recall thinking it was generally good, she did engage a little in the "{insert bad thing associated with Islam} isn't in the Koran, so it's not actually anything to do with Islam" fallacy. If I remember correctly she tried this with stoning, but I'd have to rewatch. She quit Channel 4 a while back, works mostly for BBC Radio 4 now AFAIK.
     Reply #6 - May 12, 2012, 09:30 PM

Is Alom Shaha gonna be there?  It's his book, but he's not on the list of Speakers.

Reply #7 - May 12, 2012, 11:50 PM

Lol Shahid, of course Alom Shaha will be there, it is his book launch.  Tongue

I will be going!

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #8 - June 25, 2012, 02:50 PM

I think I will be attending too.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #9 - June 25, 2012, 03:39 PM

I'm travelling on the train. Can't be asked with the driving! Staying the night and travelling back in the morning. What time are you guys arriving?
     Reply #10 - June 25, 2012, 04:30 PM

Seems like Samira is a questioning Muslim to me.

http://www.samiraahmed.co.uk/?p=2124

Looks like an interesting read too.
     Reply #11 - June 25, 2012, 08:48 PM

:/ Isn't halal wine a bit of a contradiction...I suppose wine isn't a drink that's drunk solely for it's effect, but surely that's one of the major factors of it being 'wine' is that it's an alcoholic drink?

@Thread: Are those books of a limited number and a first come/book first serve?

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #12 - June 25, 2012, 08:53 PM

Someone is bringing out a halal oxygen next year so Muslims don't have to breathe the same air as non Muslims which might have molecules of something haram in it.

The Guardian and BBC will be doing a special lifestyle feature on it showing how it represents integration and stuff.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #13 - June 25, 2012, 08:56 PM

Someone is bringing out a halal oxygen next year so Muslims don't have to breathe the same air as non Muslims which might have molecules of something haram in it.

The Guardian and BBC will be doing a special lifestyle feature on it showing how it represents integration and stuff.

Lmao

Reply #14 - June 30, 2012, 01:47 PM

Reply #15 - June 30, 2012, 03:58 PM

http://www.humanism.org.uk/meet-up/events/view/182?page=1

I think they are.
     Reply #16 - June 30, 2012, 04:05 PM

Reply #17 - June 30, 2012, 04:14 PM

I've already bought the tickets. Just tried to replicate what you said. It shows nothing in the basket. Try ringing them?
     Reply #18 - June 30, 2012, 04:27 PM

Reply #19 - June 30, 2012, 04:32 PM

I bought them when the event was announced back in April or May I think. They have not been delivered yet though. Which reminds me! Huh?
     Reply #20 - June 30, 2012, 04:42 PM

Reply #21 - June 30, 2012, 04:51 PM

My bad! The confirmation email is my e-ticket. I just need to print it out and take it with me. wacko
     Reply #22 - June 30, 2012, 05:17 PM

JOTM.
     Reply #23 - July 05, 2012, 02:03 PM

sold out ?  Cry
     Reply #24 - July 12, 2012, 11:02 PM

I went to the event and loved it. I met a couple of people from the forum. One of them was Pariah. I met someone else from the forum as well, although I can't remember the name. I also met a few people from the London ex-Muslim group. They made me feel very welcome indeed.

Alom read a small excerpt from the book. It was quite moving and brought te book to life. I'm just over halfway through the book and it's an enjoyable read.
     Reply #25 - July 13, 2012, 06:28 AM

Cool! Gutted I couldn't make it.

Reply #26 - July 13, 2012, 07:03 AM

Me too, but it was my son's birthday on the day so ah well, had to do cakes and stuff.

Heard it was a success though so that's great.   Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #27 - July 13, 2012, 07:05 AM

What is so good about this book anyway? I don't get it?
     Reply #28 - July 13, 2012, 07:42 AM

The title is slightly misleading. The book is more of an autobiography or story of his journey to atheism. Rather than some sort of philosophical treatise. What has given the book it's appeal is that it's written by an ex-Muslim who is open about his atheism. I wouldn't read the book in the hope that it's along the same lines as Ibn Warraq or JL Mackie for example.
     Reply #29 - July 13, 2012, 07:44 AM

Oh. I thought it was a 'how to be an atheist in a cruel and meaningless world' sort of book.

Now I'm not gonna read it Tongue

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »