Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Lane's Lexicon and other legit translations.

(Read 19129 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Lane's Lexicon and other legit translations.
     OP - March 01, 2012, 01:56 PM

OK, I am fed up, I was reading recently that Alaqa means FERTILIZED FEMALE OVUM and the guy who wrote it said he got it from Lane's Lexicon.

this is what he has written and claimed, I also want to let you know that I wrote this in another topic but I decided it would be a better idea if we had a separate topic on this issue where we can discuss this issue in details and be more punctilious on this matter.

Lane's Lexicon, Volume 5, Page 417:

"to adhere to, hang, love, leech, have an attachment, cling, hold fast, pertain, catch, concern, become attached by love, suspend, fasten a thing, cleave, clot of blood, germ-cell, fertilised female ovum. alqun/ilqun - precious thing. alaqatun - true love, attachment. ilaqatun - love, affection."

SOURCE:

http://islamic-replies.ucoz.com/Rebuttal_AnsweringIslam_Embryology_Literature.html

So, the point is that you can't trust anyone, someone says it is in Lane's Lexicon or Al Jalailan or whatever his name was some say it isn't and for an ignorant like me who gets easily confused due to the fact that I am completely ignorant when it comes to Arabic and the only time I was in contact with the Arabic language was when I prayed namaz in the mosque or when I heard my Jordanian friend talk to his mom on the phone in USA it is hard to come to conclusions and say YES THIS IS TRUE or THIS IS FALSE.

so, who can an ignorant like me rely on?? How do I know what is genuine translation and what is fake ass propaganda ??

Cheers and never mind my emotional outburst.

• Re: Lane's Lexicon and other legit translations.
     Reply #1 - March 01, 2012, 02:01 PM

Sorry man, I thought you could read arabic (I know who you are from elsewhere but anyway).

http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume5/00000417.pdf

Alaq is the middle word in the middle column: 'it was or became suspended to it'. My arabic is poor, so if someone else sees me make a mistake let me know, but I looked through the whole page and I didn't see anything on embryos.

The problem Sturrm is that people everywhere (whatever topic you are discussing) will often post stuff that has no actual proof and will then give a reference relying on the fact that most people won't check it. That's how it is unfortunately.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #2 - March 01, 2012, 02:24 PM

Is this that part Huh?

Reply #3 - March 01, 2012, 02:47 PM

That should be the one.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #4 - March 01, 2012, 04:26 PM

Here's the correct page (the '-l-q root starts on 00000417.pdf, but you want the noun):
    http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume5/00000419.pdf

Right column where it says "one thereof is termed عَلَقَةً"

It has the usual definitions (leech, clot of blood), and even cites Qur'an 23:14, but says nothing about the ovum. In fact, the ovum was not discovered until the 19th century, so that couldn't possibly be a meaning for the word in classical Arabic. After all, word meanings are determined by what people mean when they use them.

Also, it's a worthless apologetic anyway since in 23:12-14, the nutfah is put in a fixed place (the uterus, they say), then it is made an alaqah. An ovum is already fertilized days before it travels to the uterus.

Here's a process you or anyone can use to check Lane's Lexicon to see if someone's feeding you bs about a word in the Qur'an:

Go to http://www.studyquran.co.uk/PRLonline.htm and click "download PRL" at the top of the page, unzip the webpages. You'll have a webpage for each letter of the Arabic alphabet (transliterated).

1. Find out the transliteration for the word you are interested in on http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp if you don't already have it.

2. Find the PRL page for the word you're interested in (watch out - there is more than one Arabic letter transliterated as "d", "t", or "s", don't mix up ayn and alif)

3. Look for the word, or use the find function in your brower to search for the verse number. Each word has a link(s) to Lane's Lexicon for that word.

You will often need to be familiar with the Arabic alphabet at least, and vowel marks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet

Not every word is in PRL, but the vast majority. For other words or words not in the Qur'an you can use http://www.tyndalearchive.com//TABS/Lane/index.htm
     Reply #5 - March 02, 2012, 12:11 AM

NJ7:

Great stuff man, I tried the Dahaha thing.

is it this one Huh?

Dal-Ha-Waw (Dal-Ha-Alif) = To hurl, spread forth, expand, stretch out, cast away, extend, drive along.

daha vb. (1) perf. act. 79:30

Lane's Lexicon, Volume 3, page: 23

Reply #6 - March 02, 2012, 12:13 AM

Also does anyone know what is the right word for Ostrich Egg and Female ovum in Arabic Huh?

Especially the word for Ostrich Egg that was used in the 7th century.

Reply #7 - March 02, 2012, 12:21 AM

I also found this out:

The key word in the above verse is “dahaha”. In Arabic, there is a phrase, “iza dahaha” which means “when he throws the stones over the ground to the hole”. The hole is called “Udhiyatun”. “Almadahi” signify round stones according to the size of which a hole is dug in the ground in which the stones are thrown in a game. “Almadahi” also signify a round thing made of lead by the throwing of which persons contend together. So there is a signification of ROUNDNESS in the root of the word “dahaha”. According to some etymologists, the word for the “egg of an ostrich” also has the same root as “dahaha”. They also take from this that the earth is of the shape of the egg of an ostrich. Latest science findings confirm that the earth is not exactly spherical but the earth is an ellipsoid, i.e. flattened by its poles,[ just like the shape of an egg of an ostrich].

The Arabic words for “flat” or “level” or “straight shaped” are “sawi” and “almustavi”. There is not a single place in Quran where there is any indication of the earth being “flat” or “straight shaped”. The word “faraash” in 2:22, 51:48; the word “wasia” in 4:97, 29:56, 30:10; the word “mahd” in 20:53, 43:10, 78:6; the word “basaat” in 71:19; the word “suttihat” in 88:20; and the word “tahaaha” in 91:6, all may mean, “to spread”, “to expand” or “to extend” with slight differences in their connotations but none signify the earth being straight-shaped or flat.

I noticed that in the Qur'anic verse you qouted only the word "dahaha" was mentioned and you went into explaining what the word "dahaha" means. Have you not noticed that you gave YOUR OWN EXPLANATION to the word dahaha?

Who cares about your understanding of the word dahaha? Do you have any theological and scientific qualification to translate the word dahaha and tell us what it means? The Qur'an says dahaha, where does it says the earth was leveled and flat surfaces? That is YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. Do not put into the Qur'anic texts what is not there!!!!

The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is geospherical in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.

Reply #8 - March 02, 2012, 12:27 AM

This guy has a nice elaboration on the word DAHAHA and he says that the word Dahaha means ROUND and that the Quran by that word means ROUND.

http://agniveer.org/Thread-DAHAHA-a-word-misunderstood

Reply #9 - March 02, 2012, 09:19 AM

NJ7:

Great stuff man, I tried the Dahaha thing.

is it this one Huh?

Dal-Ha-Waw (Dal-Ha-Alif) = To hurl, spread forth, expand, stretch out, cast away, extend, drive along.

This one  ?

http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume3/00000023.pdf
     Reply #10 - March 02, 2012, 12:12 PM

^ ^

So it has nothing to do with Ostrich Egg ??

I wonder what will NJ7 say about the two elaborations of those muslims I already posted above.

I also found a good counter argument why doesn't the word DAHAHA mean ostrich egg or spherical but I will leave it for later and post it later.

Reply #11 - March 02, 2012, 01:04 PM

This one  ?

Yeah, that's the one, the verb is daha (dal ha alif) & the extra "ha" at the end of the transliteration is for "it" as in he spread "it".

^ ^

So it has nothing to do with Ostrich Egg ??

I wonder what will NJ7 say about the two elaborations of those muslims I already posted above.

It's clear enough that it just means spread / extend stuff out. It's too ambiguous to prove that it's talking about the shape of the whole Earth or whatever in those verses. As for the person in your link who merely copied and pasted desperate garbage from the complete idiot, Osama Abdallah, about totally different words for spreading / throwing things that are *already* round, it's just laughable. 18:86 and 18:90 are very strong evidence for a flat earth belief. On eggs, I linked you before to another thread about prolate and oblate spheroids. Sorry, I'm really not interested in a discussion about their desperate and ridiculous claims for a round earth in the Qur'an. There must have been dozens of threads on this already!

If "Allah" really knew the earth was spheroid he would have given much better clues than these! The fact that people have to resort to such desperate rubbish demonstrates that the Qur'an is far from a perfect book, and thus is a manmade product of its time.

No more debunking requests addressed to me please btw! I really can't be bothered  Smiley
     Reply #12 - March 02, 2012, 02:25 PM

It's clear enough that it just means spread / extend stuff out. It's too ambiguous to prove that it's talking about the shape of the whole Earth or whatever in those verses.   

yeah I think that too, I have even seen many Muslims admit that the Quran in those verses is not talking about the shape of the earth or it doesn't even refer to a spherical earth.

As for the person in your link who merely copied and pasted desperate garbage from the complete idiot, Osama Abdallah, about totally different words for spreading / throwing things that are *already* round, it's just laughable. 18:86 and 18:90 are very strong evidence for a flat earth belief. 

I don't know who that guy is but what got me confused is this part:

دحرجَ (dahraja): to roll, roll along, to roll down, I was wondering if that is somehow related to Daha

also this part:

(daha): ROUND and SPHERICAL:

إندحَّ بطنه إندحاحاّ اي إتّسع His tummy became round and bigger.

In Prophet Muhammad's Hadith: كان لأسامة بطننٌ مُندحٌ اي متسع Osama had a round and big tummy.

و بطنٌ مُنداحُ أي خارخٌ مُدوّر His tummy is mun-daahun means it is OUT THERE AND ROUND مُدوّر.

و رجلٌّ دحدحُ اي قصير غليظ البطن A man is dahda-hun which means he is short, stocky and has a big and fat tummy.

الدحداح هو المستدير الململم The dahdaah is the person who is ROUND and STOCKY.

الدِردِحة من النساء التي طولها و عرضها سواء Al-dir-dihati from the women is the one whose height and width look the same! SHE LOOKS ROUND, and the by the way, the distance between the earth's north and south poles is approximately only 45 miles shorter than the earth's width.

دحا (daha): الدوحة أي المظلة العظيمة Al-Doha, as in Qatar's capital, means a big umbrella.

Allah Almighty also Said that He made the earth's sky a ceiling to us;
    Noble Verse(s) 21:32;
    وجعلنا السماء سقفا محفوظا وهم عن اياتها معرضو
    Yusuf Ali:
    [079:030] And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse);

[079:031] He draweth out therefrom its moisture and its pasture;

On eggs, I linked you before to another thread about prolate and oblate spheroids.   

Yes you did, and I think that is a pretty solid argument you have there plus u don't need to know Arabic to realize the Egg thing is nonsense because of its shape, I make no bones about it.

Sorry, I'm really not interested in a discussion about their desperate and ridiculous claims for a round earth in the Qur'an. There must have been dozens of threads on this already! 

It is ok, I just thought u might be interested plus I opened this thread to question the validity of those claims Muslims make and using Lane's Lexicon as an excuse.

If "Allah" really knew the earth was spheroid he would have given much better clues than these! The fact that people have to resort to such desperate rubbish demonstrates that the Qur'an is far from a perfect book, and thus is a manmade product of its time.   

I agree even-though many Muslims will argue on the meaning of the word perfect but I agree with your point.

No more debunking requests addressed to me please btw! I really can't be bothered   

I am sorry for bothering you, that was clearly not my intention, I just wanted to know some stuff abut Lane's Lexicon and Al Jalailan and other dictionaries which Muslims use to prove their claims.

I will now post some useful stuff I found from some other people on internet regarding the shape of the earth:

The word in question is the verb (dahâ). This verb comes from the tri-literal root d-h-w, and it appears in the Qur’ân in relation to the Earth in the following verse: “And the Earth, after that, He spread out (dahâhâ).” [Sûrah al-Nâzi`ât: 30]

This word conveys one concept in the Arabic language: that of “spreading, leveling, flattening, and smoothing out”. Allah mentions this to us in the verse to show us something of his providence to us. He explains what he means by stretching the Earth out and smoothing it out in the following verses: “He brought forth from it its water and its pasturage, and He made the mountains firmly fixed.” [Sûrah al-Nâzi`ât : 31-32]

Therefore, Allah smoothed out the Earth for us by making it a stable and suitable place for habitation, providing its inhabitants with water, pasture, and keeping its mountains firmly-fixed.

With respect to this word’s association with eggs, it is as follows:

Due to the fact that the word conveys the meaning of “spreading, leveling, flattening, and smoothing out”, the Arabs named the place where an ostrich incubates and hatches its egg an "udhiyy". This is a hollow pit in the ground around 30 to 60 centimeters deep. The Arabic word for this shallow depression is derived from the triliteral root d-h-w – the same etymological root as the verb dahâ. The reason for this is that the ostrich spreads out and flattens this area with its legs before laying its egg in it. The ostrich uses neither a nest nor a burrow for its eggs.

From this, we must understand that the word is not used for the egg itself but rather for the flattened depression where the ostrich deposits its egg.

Whoever uses the word to refer to the egg or to the shape of the egg is being inexact in his linguistic usage. However, without doubt we can say that such an error does not detract from the person’s reputation or scholarship as a whole, and it does not warrant a harsh reprimand.

In any case, verse 30 of Sûrah al-Nâzi`ât – that mentions the verb dahâ in reference to the Earth – is not discussing the shape of the Earth at all. It cannot be used as proof that the Earth is flat or round or egg-shaped. The verse is silent on the matter. And Allah knows best.

The exact shape of the Earth is best known from empirical observations, and not from seeking to deduce its exact shape from the Qur’ân.

The Earth is practically a perfect sphere.

Yes, the Earth is ever so slightly flattened at the poles, due to its rotation, technically making it an approximate "oblate spheroid", a rounded shape with a sight bulge at the equator.

However, the difference made by the bulge is extremely minute. The diameter at the equator is only 42.72 kilometers greater than the diameter at the poles. Considering that the average diameter of the Earth is about 12,742 km, the difference is infinitesimal – nothing at all like the shape of an ostrich egg, which is visibly an oval. The average ostrich egg is 15 cm long and 13 cm wide.

Therefore, the claim that the Earth is shaped like an ostrich egg is not only unfounded scripturally, it is scientifically inaccurate.

We should also take this occasion to mention that the Earth is almost perfectly smooth. Its near-perfect smoothness is not compromised by the contours of its crust. The highest mountains and deepest trenches of the crust are insignificant compared to the vastness of the Earth's surface.

To get an idea of how insignificant the mountains and trenches are when compared to the Earth's surface, we can compare the smoothness of the Earth to that of a billiard ball. A billiard ball must be very smooth and regular. The tolerance allowed for a billiard ball is only 0.22%. (Tolerance, in engineering, refers to the permissible limit of variation in a dimension of a manufactured object.) The Earth, by comparison, has a tolerance of about one part in 584, or 0.17%. This means the Earth is much more perfectly smooth than what is allowed for a billiard ball.

And Allah knows best.

The QUR'AN says that EARTH is FLAT in more than one place.

Q. 2:22: WHO made the earth a bed for you, and the heaven a roof, and caused water to come down from the clouds and therewith brought forth fruits for your sustenance; so do not set up equals to ALLAH, while you know.

Q. 15:19: And the earth have WE spread out, and set therein firm mountains and cause every thing to grow therein in proper proportion.

Q. 79:30 And after that He spread the earth. (Wal'arda ba'da dhalika da-ha-ha.)

Many MUSLIMS LIE that the Arabic word "Dahaha" is derived from "Dahhyah" which means "Egg" The Arabic word for egg here is dahaha which mean an ostrich-egg. "

Hence I am giving an explanation as to why it's not "ostrich egg, chicken egg or any egg"

COMMENT: Udhi'ya or Udhu'wa, are two names for the egg of the ostrich. The verb Da'ha (Ydahoo: present tense) is not derived from Udhi'ya or Udhu'wa, because names are derived from the "verb of origin" (fi'l al masdar), and the verb of origin is not derived from a name. The verb of origin is "dahawa" from which the verb "da'ha" and "yadhoo" are derived, and so is the name of the noun denoting the egg. The verb "da'aha" does not mean "kaw'wara" (made round) or made something in the shape of an egg, whether it is an ostrich egg or a chicken's egg. As a matter of fact, the verb "da'ha" means the complete opposite to the concept of the roundness. Here is what "Al-munjid fil'lugha wal'alam" has to say:

* "da'ha da'hwan ... God `da'ha' earth that is `basataha'."
    And that is exactly what Al-Jalalayn has said.
    * "da'ha idhiwa'an: `inbisatan'." (that is: flattening)
    * "al-udh'y, al-idhi'y, al-udhu'wa, al-udhi'ya: The egg of the ostrich in the sand."

We must pay attention to what Al-Munjid is saying here: "The egg of the ostrich ‘in the sand’" and the following is the reason for this expression:

When the female ostrich fears a danger threatening her egg, she immediately digs into the sand to hide the egg, then "tadhoo" (flattens) the earth above it, so that it would not be seen by the vultures of the air who are always in search of such a delicacy for their next meal. Therefore, the word "al-udhu'wa" is used as a name of the ostrich egg since it is something (with the sand) flattened (over it). That is where the name came from. The Arabic dictionary never states that the verb "da'ha" means "made round" or "made in the shape of the egg of an ostrich".

The word 'Dahaha' mentioned in the Quran ( 79:30) means flat.or spread out. it does not mean shaped like an ostrich's egg. The word 'Al madahi' means round stones. Ask any Arabic speaking person. The word " Al Madahi' is no where mentioned in the Quran.

LANE'S LEXICON ENTRY ON DAHAHA

Many Islamist apologists attempt to deflect criticism that the Quran promotes the mistaken belief of a flat earth by the word dahaha in 79:30, commonly translated as ‘spread’ or ‘stretched’.

79:30 والارض بعد ذلك دحاها
    Transliteration Waal-arda baAAda thalika dahaha
    Literal And the earth/Planet Earth after that He blew and stretched/spread it.
    Yusuf Ali And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse);
    Pickthal And after that He spread the earth,
    Arberry and the earth-after that He spread it out,
    Shakir And the earth, He expanded it after that.
    Sarwar After this, He spread out the earth,
    Hilali/Khan And after that He spread the earth;
    Malik After that He spread out the earth,[30]
    Maulana Ali And the earth, He cast it after that.
    Free Minds And the land after that He spread out.

Some Islamists have attempted to translated the word dahaha to mean made egg-shaped or like an ‘ostrich egg’.

Khalifa He made the earth egg-shaped.
    QXP And after that He made the earth shoot out from the Cosmic Nebula and made it spread out egg-shaped. ('Dahaha' entails all the meanings rendered (21:30), (41:11)).

Quote:
    In Noble Verse 79:30, the Arabic word "dahaha" doesn't mean extended (to a wide expanse). The word literally mean formed in "round shape" or "egg shape"...

http://www.answering-christianity.com/earth_in_islam.htm

Some will also claim that the root word for dahaha is duhiya which means ostrich egg.
    http://www.islamicvoice.com/February2006/QuestionHour-DrZakirNaik/?PHPSESSID=c30907389ab7486d8886b1a992e9ae1a

www.islamawareness.net/Science/qms.pdf

This 'dahaha = ostrich egg' apologetic has already been debunked by reference to Arabic dictionaries. http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Nevertheless, many Muslims still cling to the belief that dahaha means an ostrich egg, despite the scientific difficulty this presents in that the earth is an oblate spheroid while the ostrich egg is a prolate spheroid. Thus the earth and the ostrich egg are dissimilar in three dimensions.

A further Islamist apologetic is to point to a game played by Meccans in their attempt to link dahaha with roundness.

Quote:
    In 79:30, Allah says,

[Transliteration] Waal-arda baAAda thalika dahaha [79:30]

The key word in the above verse is “dahaha”. In Arabic, there is a phrase, “iza dahaha” which means “when he throws the stones over the ground to the hole”. The hole is called “Udhiyatun”. “Almadahi” signify round stones according to the size of which a hole is dug in the ground in which the stones are thrown in a game. “Almadahi” also signify a round thing made of lead by the throwing of which persons contend together. So there is a signification of ROUNDNESS in the root of the word “dahaha”. According to some etymologists, the word for the “egg of an ostrich” also has the same root as “dahaha”. They also take from this that the earth is of the shape of the egg of an ostrich. Latest science findings confirm that the earth is not exactly spherical but the earth is an ellipsoid, i.e. flattened by its poles,[ just like the shape of an egg of an ostrich].

The Arabic words for “flat” or “level” or “straight shaped” are “sawi” and “almustavi”. There is not a single place in Quran where there is any indication of the earth being “flat” or “straight shaped”. The word “faraash” in 2:22, 51:48; the word “wasia” in 4:97, 29:56, 30:10; the word “mahd” in 20:53, 43:10, 78:6; the word “basaat” in 71:19; the word “suttihat” in 88:20; and the word “tahaaha” in 91:6, all may mean, “to spread”, “to expand” or “to extend” with slight differences in their connotations but none signify the earth being straight-shaped or flat.

http://www.quranicteachings.co.uk/earth-shape.htm

The Islamist contention that almadahi and udhiyatun conveys the concept of roundness which they link to the root of dahaha is false for the reason that the 'roundness' of the almadahi and udhiyatun is only in two dimensions. The almadahi is round like a piece of Arab bread (i.e. shaped like a disc) and the udhiyatun is also round in two dimensions. Nevertheless, one of the meanings of dahaha is to 'throw' and that is the derivation of the words 'almadahi and udhiyatun'.

The evidence can be seen from Lane's Lexicon, from which the Islamist appears to have referred to, but did not allude to the two-dimensional characteristic of the stones and the hole in the aforementioned game.

LANE'S LEXICON ENTRY
    http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume3/00000023.pdf

Quote:
    Dhaheelath see dahl, near the end of the paragraph. dhahhal One who hunts, or catches game, by making use of the dhahool so in the verse cited voce dhahool l. (TA.) Dhahil Very rancorous, malevolent, malicious, or spiteful; wont to hide enmity, and violent haired, in his heart, and to watch for opportunities to indulge it, or exercise it. (Az, TA.)

Dhahool [an arabicized word from the Pers. Dhakhool] A thing which the hunter of gazelles sets up [for the purpose of scaring them into his toil or into the neighbourhood of his place of concealment], consisting of pieces of wood: (S : ) or a thing which the hunter sets up for [the purpose of scaring] the [wild] asses, (K, TA,) and As adds, and the gazelles, (TA,) consisting of pieces of wood like short scars (K,* TA) stuck in the ground, with some pieces of ragged cloth upon their heads; and sometimes set up at night, for [the purpose of searing] the gazelle, with the addition of a lighted lamp; (TA; ) [whence] Dhu-r-Rummeh says,
    Wa Yashrabna Ajnan Wannujoomu Ka’annaha
    Masabeeh dahhalin Yuzakkee Zubalaha

[And they drink water that is altered for the worse in taste and colour, while the stars are like the lamps of the hunter by means of the Dahool when he make. their wicks to blaze brightly]: (TA : ) the pl. is dawaheel (K.)

Dahw

1. Daha (., MM_b;,, 1,) first pers. Dahouth aor, yad'hoo inf. N. dahoo He spread; spread out, or forth; expanded; or extended; (S, Msb, K; ) a thing; (K; ) and, when said of God, the earth; (Fr, S, Mb, 1V; ) As also daha first pers. dahaithu (K in art. daha) aor. yaad’heae inf. n. dahae: (Msb, and K in art. dahae : ) or He (God) made the earth wide, or ample; as explained by an Arab woman of the desert to Sh: (TA : ) also, said of an ostrich, (S, TA,) he expanded, and made wide, (TA,) with his foot, or leg, the place where he was about to deposit his eggs: (S, TA : ) and, said of a man, he spread, &c., and made plain, even, or smooth. (TA in art. dhaha ) - Also, said of a man, (K,,) aor. yad’hoo, inf. n. dahwu(TA,) i.q. Jamie as also daja; on the authority of 1Abr. (TA.) [You say, dhahaha He compressed her; like as you say, dhajaha.] _ Also He threw, or cast, and impelled, propelled, oi removed from its place, a stone, with his hand (TA.) One says also, to him who is playing with walnuts, abidil maddha va adhhuhu, meaning [Make thou the distance far, and] throw it. (S,TA.: See also midh’hath, in two places. And of a torrent one says, dhaha bilbat’hai It cast along [the soft earth and pebbles in its course; or drove then along]. (TA.) And of rain, one says, dhaha Al hissa an waj’hil Ardhi (S,Msb) It drove the pebbles from the surface of the earth; (Msb; ) or removed them. (TA.) [See also dhaha, in the next art.] And aldhahwu bilhijarathi also signifies The vying, one with another, in throwing stones, and striving to surpass [in doing so]; as also al Midahath [inf. n- of dahee]. (TA marra yad’hoo inf.n. dahow said of a horse, He went along throwing out his fore legs without raising his hoofs much from the ground. (S,TA.) = dhahal bathan The belly was, or became, large, and hanging down; (Kr, K; ) and Indhahee (the belly) was, or became, wide, or distended: (MF : ) or both signify it (the belly) became swollen, or inflated, or big,. and hung down, by reason of fatness or disease; as also Dhau and Indah (TA in art dooh.)
    3. Dhahee inf.n. Mudahath: see 1.
    5. Thud'hee He spread out, or extended, himself; syn. Thabassuth. (K: in art. Daha.) You say, nama fulan fathadhahha Such a one slept, and [extended himself so that he] lay upon a vide space of ground (TA in that art.) - And thadhahhathil ibilu fil ardhi The camels made hollows in the ground where they lay down, it being soft; leaving therein cavities like those of bellies: thus they do only when they are fat. (El-'Itreefee, TA in art. Daha. )
    7. see 1, last sentence.
    9. id'havi [of the measure if’alath for if’alle like Ar’awa] It (a thing, TA) was, or became, spread, spread out or forth, expanded, or extended. (K.)

Dhahin [act. part n. of 1]. Allahumma dhahil Mad’huwwath in a prayer of ‘Alee, means O God, the Spreader and Expander of the [seven] earths: (TA : ) al Mdhuwwath [properly] signifies the things that are spread, &c.; as also Al Mudh’hiyyath. (TA in art. dhaha ) _ Al’Matharuddahee The rain that removes [or drives] the pebbles from the surface of the earth. (TA.)

Ud'hiyy (S.K) (Originally od'huwa of the measure Uf’ool from dhahaithu but said in the S to be of that measure from dhahouthu the dial. var. dhahaithu not being there mentioned,] and and id’hiyy and Ud’hiyyath and ud’huwwath (K) The place of the laying of eggs, (S, K,) and of the hatching thereof, (S,) , of the ostrich, (S. K. ) in the sand; (K; ) because that bird expands it, and makes it wide, with its foot, or leg; for the ostrich has no [nest such as is termed] Ush (S: ) pl. Adahin (TA in the present art.) and Adahee [i. e., if not a mistranscription, Adahiyyu agreeably with the sing.]: (TA in art. dhaha and mudhhiyya [likewise] signifies the place of the eggs of the ostrich. (S.) [Hence,] binthu Adh’hiyyathun A female ostrich. (TA.)_[Hence also,] Al Udkhiyyu and Al Id’hiyyu A certain Mansion of the Moon, (K, TA,) [namely, the Twenty-first Mansion,] between the Na’aai’m sa’dha zabih (more commonly) called Al Baldath likened to the Adhahhee of the ostrich. (TA.)

Ud’huwwath and udh’hiyyath: see the next preceding paragraph, in three places: - and for the latter, see also mid’hath, below.

Mad’han see ud’hiyy

Mid’hath A wooden thing with which a child is driven along (yud’ha), and which, passing over the ground, sweeps away everything against which it comes (K, TA.) - Accord. to Sh, A certain thing with which the people of Mekkeh play: he says, I heard El-Asadee describe it thus: Almadahiyy and Almasadiyy signify stones like the [small round cake of bread called] qursath, according to the size which a hole is dug, and widened a little: then they throw those stones (yad’hoona biha) to that hole and if the stone fall therein, the person wins; but if not, he is overcome: you say of him yad’hoo and yasdoo when he throws the stones (Iza dhahaha) over the ground to the hole: and the hole is called ud'hiyyath. (TA.) [Accord. to Freytag, the authority of the Deewan El-Hudhaleeyeen, A round thing made of lead, by the throwing of which persons contend together.]

Almadhuwwath and almad’hiyyath see Dahin,

Dhaha

1. Dhaha first pers. Dhahaithu,aor. yad’ha inf.n. dhah’ya: see 1 in art. Dhahoo.__ dhahaithul ibil (K,) inf. n. as above, (TA,) I drove the camel,; (K; ) as also dhahaithuha (TA.)

[4 mentioned by Freytag as on the authority of the K is a mistake for 5.]

5 (mentioned in this art. in the V and TA): see art. Dhahoo

7 (mentioned in this art. by MF): see art. Dhahoo.

Dhah’yath A single act of dhahy, i. e. spreading, (Msb.) = A she-ape, or she-monkey. (K.)
    dhihyath A mode, or manner, of dhahyu, i. e. spreading, &c. (Msb.) = A headman, or chief, (R, K, TA,) in an absolute sense, in the dial. of El-Yemen, (R, TA,) and particularly, of an army, or a military force. (K, TA.) AA says that it signifies "a lord," or "chief," in Pers.; but seems to be from dhahahu aor. yadh’hoohu, meaning "he spread it, and made it plain or even ;" because it is for the headman or chief to do this; the a. being changed into LS as it is in swibyath and fith’yath; and if so, it belongs to art. dahoo. (TA.) [Accord. to Golius, the pl. is dihau; but I think that it is more probably dhahan.] It is in a trad. that what is called Albaithul Ma’emoor [q.v. in art. Amr] is entered every day by seventy thousand companies of angels, every one of these having with it a dhih’yath and consisting seventy thousand angels. (TA.)

Ud’hiyyun and Id’hiyyun see art. dhaha.

Ud’hiyyath: see ud’hiyyu, in art. dahoo, in two places.

Note that Lane also translates dahaha to mean the place in the sand where the ostrich lays its eggs, and not to the eggs themselves.

Hope this will help.

Reply #13 - March 03, 2012, 11:15 AM

I also found these Detailed Explanations why DAHAHA means EGG SHAPED or round or whatever rather than SPREAD OUT.

And yes there are Eggs shaped like the earth, not like the chicken or Ostrich but there are that kind of Eggs and this guy has posted pics of them:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/egg-shaped_earth.htm

Also here he is giving some examples of how dictionaries of Lisan-Al Arab prove the Eart his in spherical form or stuff like that:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/earth_in_islam.htm

Also he is writing how Muslim scientists from the 14th century concluded the earth is round by reading the Quran.

NJ7, are you familiar with this site Huh?

Reply #14 - March 04, 2012, 02:52 AM

I found this argument on this topic

--------------------
    when a person quotes that a verb is sometimes employed in a particular situation, it does not negate it isn't employed in other situations. Further, if you even read, what is being referred to is the TRILATERAL form of the same word for 'spreading' is from the same root that is employed for the place where an ostrich buries it's eggs. UDHIYY
    You have absolutely no knowledge of Arabic. All you have done is taken a particular usage of a form of the root word for dahaha, which is totally irrelevant to the usage as it pertains the earth being spread. Everybody who understand basic language knows words are understood in context. When you open up a dictionary, you find various meanings of a word derived from HOW IT IS USED IN A SENTENCE.
    --------------------

What exactly does that mean ? does the word SPREAD OUT and OSTRICH EGG have the same root ? and if they have how does it effect the definition of the verse in the quran, can it change the meaning of the word Dahaha in the quran from Spread out to Egg Shaped or something like that ?

this is the topic:

http://forums.understanding-islam.com/showthread.php?6154-Does-the-Quran-say-the-earth-is-flat/page2

Also this one:

------------------------------------
    The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is geospherical in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.

http://dawahusa.com/content/Quran_says_that_Allah_has_made_the_earth_for_you_as_a_carpet._This_gives_an_indication_that_the_eart.shtml
    -----------------------------------

Reply #15 - March 04, 2012, 02:01 PM

OK so I ran into this guy in the Chat room, he said he speaks Arabic and the following Conversation followed:

I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED

Reply #16 - March 04, 2012, 02:41 PM

Good Argument by a Muslim:

Walarda baAAda thalika dahaha (79:30) (note, in Arabic, the beauty of the language makes this sentence rhyme, not only does it contain a scientific fact, it's poetically artistic too)

Dahaha is also the word which duhiya comes from, which is an Ostrich egg. “Almadahi” another derivation also signifies a round thing made of lead by the throwing of which persons contend together, very much like the game marbles people play nowadays. But the derivative was used even before Islam to describe an Ostrich egg. A lesser meaning of the word is to stretch out on going, which means in the linguistic term that something has no end or limit and keeps stretching onwards.
    Which when applied to the Earth means if you travel on the Earth all the way around, there isn't an "end" it still keeps going onwards, no falling off the edge. Another unique interpretation I have come across is that the Earth was literally spread out, as in, the continents were no longer ONE continent, but spread around the Earth into 7 continents.

http://www.northrup.org/photos/Animals/low/ostrich-egg-1.jpg

The Earth seems, when looked closely at, flattened by the poles. As if you got a ball, and gently squeezed two opposite sides. Looking at the various meanings of the word, it's clear the Qur'an is saying the Earth is round, but not exactly spherical. But the Qur'an does not say the Earth is literally egg shaped, the word for egg in Arabic is Bayda . The reason why Duhiya is used to describe an ostrich egg, is because the word means, almost a sphere, but not exactly. Unlike other eggs, which are very clearly egg shaped. Ostriches in the Arabian peninsula, are one of 3 species. They will have different shaped eggs to other species, ie. the American and Australian Ostriches have more "eggier" shaped eggs.

We are expanding the powers in each and every heaven.
    We are expanding the number of heavens.
    We are expanding the facilities in each and every heaven (flowers, trees, animals, etc...), that is, the construction is expanding.
    We are expanding our influence in each and every heaven.
    We expand them to make more room for the ever increasing Islamic believers.
    Something else...Huh?
    1) If it says the heavens are expanding after it was built, it's most likely referring to the expansion of the construction.

2) Definitly not true.
    3) That would come under "enriching"....which is one meaning of the Musi'oon, if I were expanding my property, no doubt, I would be making it bigger, by adding for example a conservatory, but I will also try and beautify it at the same time.
    4) Allahs influence is absolute. Not applicable here.
    5) That would still come under a physical expansion.

Are all the heavens going through expansion? That's what it says.

The Universe being the lower heaven is certainly going through it.

When did I say the "the Qur'an's description of earth says it resembles an ostrich egg"?

What I said was the word used, comes from the same word applied to an Ostrich egg, a DIFFERENT word used for other eggs, ie. Bayda.

Now...what does the word mean? It means something round, but not spherical.

This can be applied to an ostrich egg (which is what it's used for) but it can also just as CORRECTLY be applied to the Earth. Your whole above ranting is based on a statement which was never said, ie "The Qur'an says the Earth is ostrich egg shaped".

A quote from my previous post. But the Qur'an does not say the Earth is literally egg shaped, the word for egg in Arabic is Bayda . The reason why Duhiya is used to describe an ostrich egg, is because the word means, almost a sphere, but not exactly.

And again you are incorrect, I cannot possibly interpret this to anything I want. Let's say it was scientific fact that the earth was an exact sphere. There is no way I could interpret Dahaha to mean sphere. Let's say the earth was a cube, no possible way to interpret Dahaha to mean that, let's say the earth was flat lined, there's no way I could interpret Dahaha to mean that. The interpretation is restricted to "round" and more accurately "round, but not a sphere", very much like an ostrich egg, and the planet earth. The other meanings are less accurate. Also, that diagram you produced, it's assuming the Earth is symmetrical, also, look at the dotted line which is averaging the shape, looks like the shape of an ostrich egg to me.

Muslims are POUNDING on this issue and it looks like they are right about the Ostrich Egg thing.

Reply #17 - March 04, 2012, 03:06 PM

And yes there are Eggs shaped like the earth, not like the chicken or Ostrich but there are that kind of Eggs and this guy has posted pics of them:

There aren't.  Shapes are not defined by orientation. If you turn a prolate spheroid on it's side, it doesnt make it an oblate spheroid.
    Those eggs are all prolate spheroids. They are all longer along the axis, than they are across the equator.
     They are just not as extreme in shape as other types of eggs, but they are still the same shape.

The earth is an oblate spheroid. It is slightly shorter along the axis, then across the equator.
    The axis is define as the line where the spheroid is rotationally symmetrical, and there is only one.

I have taken one of the images of the egg on that website and marked where the axis is. All they have done is shown an egg lying on its side. If you were to rotate that egg along the vertical centre, it would not be symmetrical, and so it is not the axis.

if you rotate the image of the egg so that the axis is vertical, you can see that it is NOT squashed along the axis like the earth, but the opposite.

Reply #18 - March 04, 2012, 03:23 PM

Good point dr_sloth.

Also I am confused, some Arab speakers say Daha means Oval some say it means spread out, can it mean Both?? if it can then the Quran wins, obviously.

They try to relate it with the root of the word Dahaha and Dahiya which is DA-HA-WA, now what does DA-HA-WA the root of those 2 words mean Huh?

I don't know I am befuddled totally.

Reply #19 - March 04, 2012, 03:34 PM

The axis is the line where the egg is rotationally symmetrical.

Rotating vertically, the egg (lying in its side) is not symmetrical, and so this is NOT the axis

rotating horizontally, the egg is symmetrical, and so this IS the axis
     Reply #20 - March 04, 2012, 03:45 PM

Yes dr_sloth, I can totally understand that, but those guys don't say it is ostrich egg shaped they say it is the word that describes irregular oval or spherical forms, something like that.

Reply #21 - March 05, 2012, 11:48 AM

Who can check this Claim???

"There might be more queries to it but if you read the popular Lane Lexicon also the Dahawa (the root word) means ostrich egg"

They say the root of the word Dahaha which is Dahawa means an Ostrich Egg some say it means Spread out, now which one is it ?

p.s: it is such a shame that I am in an Ex Muslim's Board and one usually would assume that people here have done quite a detailed research before they left Islam and would at least know these basic claims about science in the Quran and so on but people here have NO IDEA about it, they can't give u a simple answer.

Reply #22 - March 05, 2012, 02:08 PM

I tried to translate root words from Arabic on Google Translate but it seems you can't translate Root words I tried to translate the root DA-ha-waw which is the root of Daha but it didn't translate it it just said D and H something like that.

I watched DawahFilms's  debunking vid and what he had to say about the word Dahaha and he confirmed that the word Dahaha has nothing to do with the Ostrich Egg and he said it strictly means TO SPREAD OUT.

The guy I just posted above seems to be either misinformed or lying about the Lane's Lexicon since we saw that Lane's Lexicon translated the word DAHAHA as TO SPREAD OUT.

I will still do a further more research I'm sure the Ostrich Egg thing is a fabrication of Modern Translations which Islamic "scholars" try to twist the meaning of the word in order to fit modern science in the Quran, I will still do more research on this matter and see how do u derive the word Dahaha, some say the root of the word Daha is Duhiya which seems to be not true and false, what most dictionaries say is that the root of the word Daha is DA-HA-WAW.

Here is the case and Lane's Lexicon has been used to refer to the meaning of Dahaha in this dictionary.

Obviously the guy in the post above this who said Lane's Lexicon proves the word Dahaha means Egg Shaped is misinformed or lying or who knows where he got that from.

Now my final question is what does the root of Daha mean:

I tried to use google translate but it didn't translate it.

I also saw many other Translations that prove the word Daha has NOTHING to do with Ostrich egg or anything related to it, I saw translations from Yusuf Ali, Pickthal, Ibn Kathir, Al Jalailan, Lane's Lexicon and some other ones and all of them have translated the word Dahaha as SPREAD OUT, the only ones that insist the word Dahaha means Ostrich Egg are people like Zakir Naik and Osama Abdullah, we know Zakir Naik is a douchebag and I don't know what are the credentials of Osama but I would guess that Osama is not as qualified as Yusuf Ali or Ibn Kathir.

I also saw many other Muslims who admitted that the word Dahaha has nothing to do with Ostrich Egg.

Can anyone tell me what are Osama's Credentials Huh?

I think I am slowly but surely getting to the bottom of this.

Reply #23 - March 05, 2012, 03:13 PM

Can anyone tell me what are Osama's Credentials

He's a certified cretin, I believe.
     Reply #24 - March 05, 2012, 07:02 PM

I've had a quick read and I'm just popping in to complete the last piece of the puzzle for you (I have to ignore any questions, but I'll just save you some time with this one).

dahawa (dal ha waw) is the root, and dal ha alif is a verb from that root (you remember in the PRL page you pasted above, it said "Dal-Ha-Waw (Dal-Ha-Alif) =...".

In fact, if you look at the pasted screenshot of lane's lexicon which Pertinax posted above, the word at the top middle is the root dal ha waw. On the next line after "1." you'll see it looks slightly different. There it's the verb daha (dal ha alif).

I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't totally accurate: Because the 3rd letter of dahawa is waw, it is called a defective or third-weak root, so the different forms of the verb derived from it (3rd person singular masculine past etc.) are formed in an irregular way compared to other words.

See here for a very similar example with the root dal ayn waw:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_grammar
    (search in the page for "Defective (Third-Weak), W")

Notice that the past 3rd person singular masculine uses dal ayn alif just like how daha (using the letters dal ha alif) "he spread" is past 3rd person singular masculine from the root dal ha waw.

So in other words, the page in Lane's lexicon which you have already looked at (and seen that it does not mean ostrich egg) is for both dahawa and daha.

[Edit: I read your post too fast, it looks like you already know that dahawa is the root of daha. Oh well, at least you know now it's in the same lexicon page.]
     Reply #25 - March 05, 2012, 07:21 PM

So Dahawa has the same meaning as Daha isn't it?? or roots have no particular meaning in the Arabic Language or they have several meanings ?

Reply #26 - March 05, 2012, 07:24 PM

Best if someone more expert answers that. As I understand it, the way the lexicon is written, it doesn't exactly give the meaning of the root. It just gives the meanings of the words formed from that root.

I think the root meaning is basically whatever the verb derived from it means. The PRL page seems to use this approach. It says dal ha waw means "To hurl, spread forth, expand, stretch out, cast away, extend, drive along."
     Reply #27 - March 05, 2012, 08:24 PM

Thnx man, I appreciate your endeavor.

I am still wondering why did that Arab Speaker I ran into 2 days ago ( HESS ) say that Daha means Oval.

Reply #28 - March 08, 2012, 04:51 PM

Look what I found in Wiki.

It says the Root of the word Daha which is da-ha-wa is related to Flatness. I don't know how true this is but Wiki says it:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D8%AF_%D8%AD_%D9%88

I also found this website which translates roots and stuff like that, here is what it says about Daha:

http://www.quran-st.net/EXPLANATORY%20DICTIONARY-3.htm#1673

This website also says it is SPREAD OUT:

http://www.openburhan.com/

THIS WEBSITE AS WELL says that the word Daha means SPREAD OUT:

http://www.alim.org/library/quran/ayah/compare/79/30/creation-of-man-is-not-harder-than-the-creation-of-heavens,-earth-and-its-contents

I ALSO FOUND THIS, they say the root in Lane's Lexicon is also translated:

79:30 والأرض and the earth بعد after ذلك that دحاها He spread it

dāl ḥā wāw (د ح و)

http://www.studyquran.co.uk/5_DAL.htm

المحيط Al-Muheet :

دحاها : بسطها
    Translation : Made it flat

الغني Al-Ghani :

دحاها : بسطها
    Translation : Made it flat

الوسيط Al-Waseet :  

دحاها : بسطها ووسعها
    Translation : Expanded it and made it flat

Reply #29 - March 10, 2012, 06:57 PM

Why not ask Luxemburg?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »