Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why do Pakistani people hate Sikhs?

(Read 44258 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Why do Pakistani people hate Sikhs?
     OP - November 10, 2011, 04:05 AM

This is just an observation. Pakistani people say Sikh's have half a brain, and whenever you do something stupid they tell you to "stop acting like a Sikh". Why is that?
  • Re: Why do Pakistani people hate Sikhs?
     Reply #1 - November 10, 2011, 04:11 AM

Why do <insert_overgeneralization_here> overgeneralize?

yeh heard that one before.

Smiley
     Reply #2 - November 10, 2011, 05:10 AM

This is just an observation. Pakistani people say Sikh's have half a brain, and whenever you do something stupid they tell you to "stop acting like a Sikh". Why is that?

Because Sikh's kick Pakisani ASS.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #3 - November 10, 2011, 05:11 AM

I've heard a lot of anti Pakistani/Muslim comments from Sikhs towards pakistanis but not so much the other way around. The hatred and bigotry I think is caused by the volatile history of the Sikhs with the Mughals and also because of all the violence and massacres in 1947 when the subcontinent was split into India and Pakistan. Punjab literally got torn apart then.

I was a convert to Islam so most of my interaction has been with Hindus and Sikhs (Hindus and Sikhs in my family btw) so I heard a lot of anti Pakistani comments.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #4 - November 10, 2011, 01:18 PM

As Abood mentioned, that is an over generalisation. It is widely assumed that Pakistani and Indian Muslims and Sikhs hate each other and there are elements that do. However, scratch beneath the surface and you will see that Pakistanis and Sikhs probably get along quite well. You have to remember that Pakistanis and Sikhs are very culturally similar if you take out the religion element. On a whole, there is probably less animosity between Pakistanis and Sikhs than between most other ethnic groups.

I live in a city with a large Pakistani and Sikh population and there is certainly not a problem of Muslim/Sikh animosity. I think this whole "Muslims vs Sikhs" thing is totally exaggerated.

Here is a picture for you to make you think

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #5 - November 10, 2011, 02:10 PM

clap clap that's the spirit! when you take out religion from the equation!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #6 - November 10, 2011, 05:59 PM

When I was a young young child I went to Pakistan and heard all kinds of jokes about Sikhs. Something about ‘uskay bara bajgay!’ as in when it struck 12 o’clock Sikhs supposedly went mad. Presumably if you were with a Sikh when the clock struck 12 he would be M. Bara Singh Wink.
     Reply #7 - November 10, 2011, 09:50 PM

Just wondering: isn't this comparable with the jokes English make about Scots, Germans about Austrians, Dutch about Belgians etc.?

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #8 - November 10, 2011, 11:02 PM

^Precisely. Stereotypes abound in every culture. The English make fun of the Irish and the rest of Europe calls the English Island Monkeys. While this is unfortunate, it is not an isolated event.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #9 - November 10, 2011, 11:03 PM

Do sikhs also fuck their cousins? Their may yet be common ground to build trust yes

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #10 - November 10, 2011, 11:05 PM

the rest of Europe calls the English Island Monkeys.

Really? Who.

I know they can't stand us, but that's a new one to me.
     Reply #11 - November 10, 2011, 11:07 PM

I believe I read about it in a book of memoirs on Cantona. Apparently in the 90s, one of the bestselling books in Belgium every christmas was a book on jokes about the English.

Reply #12 - November 10, 2011, 11:17 PM

Too bad this feeling isn't mutual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0S6iqLwXw

"Live a good life. If there are god(s) and they are just, you will be rewarded based on virtue. If they're unjust, then you shouldn't want to worship them. If there are no gods, you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of others."

-Re-interpretation of Marcus Aurelius
     Reply #13 - November 11, 2011, 08:59 AM

one of the bestselling books in Belgium

Arf.

I'm all for racial stereotyping and crude humour, by the way. It pisses off the pious.
     Reply #14 - November 14, 2011, 01:40 PM

Yes, yes we hate Sikhs, so much so that we keep their gurdwaras available for them to visit, and Nankana Sahib which is effectively owned by sikhs (and a decent population full of them). Oh the hate is strong! THE HATE!

n = 0 : n + [1,1,1...]
     Reply #15 - November 14, 2011, 01:52 PM

Yes, yes we hate Sikhs, so much so that we keep their gurdwaras available for them to visit, and Nankana Sahib which is effectively owned by sikhs (and a decent population full of them). Oh the hate is strong! THE HATE!

Well VHD sarcasm aside., The reality is., In Islam with Muslim majority ., unless other minorities live like Dhimmis and do not participate in politics, do not go in to high end economic/social positions, it is O.K.,  other wise  their life will be in trouble..

Let me give you the 2011 news clip.. Punjab government bar Sikh Community to celebrate festival in Lahore
    Pakistan: July 18, 2011. (PCP) Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz Group PML (N) led government in Punjab province of Pakistan is under immense pressure of Islamic radicals and band outfit terrorist organizations that not feels shame in monthly imbursement to a family of jailed leader of banned Islamic group nor to punish Islamic Jihadists who burnt alive seven Christian women and Children alive in Gojra city of Punjab.

On July 16, 2011, Punjab government deployed police contingent at Sikh Gurdwara Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh in Naulakha Bazar Lahore, to banned entry of Sikh Community members who had to celebrate religious rituals.

The Lahore administration, acted on warning of one Islamic Jihadists group who claimed that musical hymns of Sikh Community can disturb prayers of Muslims who are celebrating their feast f Shabe-e-Barat on July 17, 2011.

July 17, 2011, is celebrated as Shabe-e-Barat festival, which Islamic world claims that Prophet Mohammad rode a flying horse to reach to heaven to meet almighty God.

As far  as TMP statement

is concerned .. that is silly village rubbish..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #16 - November 14, 2011, 11:54 PM

Fundamentals aside, in Pakistani cinema Sikh's are portrayed in a positive light.

If this was about Hindu's I would understand as Pakistani media traditionally has stereotyped and antagonised them (and so too have they of the Muslims in their media). On the other hand Sikhs usually fill in the good guy on the bad side role.

Last time I was in Pakistan (about a year ago) there had seemed to be some problems at Nankana with a stand-off with Sikhs pulling swords on the opposition which composed of students. So sure it is not perfect, but I doubt an event like that would slide if the Pakistan population had real hatred for them. I have been to Nankana, the Sikhs there are very militant but that does not surprise me. Religion + hostile environment does that. Still, things are getting better, they are building a University for the Sikh religion there now (assuming it wasn't cancelled), that's improvement in my books. (although probably more problems for later down the road)

Of course if you speak about fundamentals they hate them, but they hate everyone, Pakistanis included.

n = 0 : n + [1,1,1...]
     Reply #17 - November 15, 2011, 12:14 AM

Fundamentals aside,   

you are riot VHD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVKXJPETWA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1_AOM0T4M

There are Sikh  cabinet ministers in Pakistan..

Reply #18 - November 17, 2011, 10:31 PM

i just came back from pakistan

and pakistanis hate everybody, sikhs, hindus, christians, blacks, whites...

but there is nothing more a pakistani hates than another pakistani, they all fight with each other, balochis, punjabis, sindhis, pahtans, all hating each others guts

that country has gone to the dogs,

Imran Khan seems to be the only hope for it

"The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest." - C.G. Jung
     Reply #19 - November 21, 2011, 01:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRlbaa1BAvk&feature=channel_video_title

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #20 - November 21, 2011, 01:14 PM

The most well known piece of Sikh entertainment was a film called Singh is Kinng, here's how it was received in Pakistan.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/Pakistan/Singh-is-Kinng-in-Pakistan-too/Article1-335076.aspx

And from here: http://www.naachgaana.com/2008/08/10/pakistan-in-a-frenzy-over-singh-is-kinng-170-per-show-collections/

The unparalleled frenzy continues in Pakistan. Singh is Kinng doing in the country what even their own films have not been able to do. Taj Mahal cinema in Faisalabad was sold out all day today and for the 9 PM show they had to accommodate another 350 people at the show due to the crowd desperate to watch the move. The capacity is 500 but for this show there were 850 people sitting on the floor wherever space was available.

Which renders the following statement:

Why do Pakistani people hate Sikhs?

into:

Why do Pakistani people love Sikhs?

Except that it doesn't.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #21 - November 22, 2011, 01:55 AM

It's usually the hindus of India that poke fun at sikhs. In most other representation of sikhs in bollywood movies I am led to believe they usually fill the roll of the drunk/fall guy/patsy. Sikhs from India are allowed  to visit their shrines situated in Pakistan. And if they can do that safely in a country like Pakistan, that is sorta saying something.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #22 - November 24, 2011, 11:10 AM

Fundamentals aside, in Pakistani cinema Sikh's are portrayed in a positive light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Ti2IqD728

that is one of Pakistani box office Reema Khan's film  Koi Tujh Sa Kahan,

watch the clip after 7.3 mts..

Hmm.. Sikhs and  Bollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8q50Wp5m1U

VHD  I NEED SOME LINKS on your assertion..  it is true there are many Sikh jokes that fly around in northern subcontinent..

Reply #23 - November 24, 2011, 04:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Ti2IqD728

that is one of Pakistani box office Reema Khan's film  Koi Tujh Sa Kahan,

watch the clip after 7.3 mts..

We all know pakistani cinema takes it cue from bollywood

How about links to actaul sikhs discussing the portrayal of sikhs in bollywood

http://www.sikhspectrum.com/012003/bollywood_betrayal.htm

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Negative_and_Positive_views_of_Sikhs_in_the_Media

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/sikh/TL4V7R9AOEQ4DJATK/p2

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #24 - November 24, 2011, 04:50 PM

but there is nothing more a pakistani hates than another pakistani, they all fight with each other, balochis, punjabis, sindhis, pahtans, all hating each others guts

Cheesy Cheesy that's what anarchy does to people! Everyone on the boil and paranoid about everything.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #25 - November 24, 2011, 04:56 PM

We all know pakistani cinema takes it cue from bollywood

Give me some bollywood links where Sikhs are portrayed as criminals devilsadvokat..

That  link I gave  

is from this place

Anyways let me read through your links.. Origins of Sikhs and Sikhism and Sikh scriptures is a fascinating story that every one from continent should read and learn..

Reply #26 - November 24, 2011, 10:53 PM

What do you call a Sikh rally driver?

— Ray Singh.

What do you call a criminal Sikh?

— Chucky P. Singh.
     Reply #27 - November 24, 2011, 11:34 PM

Imran Khan, the most utter bollocks, I have ever read in my life. Imran Khan would turn Pakistan into Afghanistan, he is pro-Taliban and supports Sharia Law. 
     Reply #28 - November 24, 2011, 11:51 PM

Imran Khan, the most utter bollocks, I have ever read in my life. Imran Khan would turn Pakistan into Afghanistan, he is pro-Taliban and supports Sharia Law.  

no no.. he is just playing political game talks often rubbish just to show the Pakistan public he is anti establishment and anti politicians of the present Pakistan Politics.

His problem in next elections is not what he says  but his ex-wife

http://www.islam-watch.org/AIM/jemina-khan2.jpg

Pictures like these will be all over Pakistan ., he will have much better chance if he marries a Pakistani lady..

Huh! where did they take that  picture??  that folded hand greetings is a hindu pagan stuff..

Reply #29 - November 25, 2011, 12:11 AM

This may well be true. Imran has taken a religious turn but it seems unlikely that he will ever have enough support to gain power.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »