Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Favourite Surah, Ayat, etc.?

(Read 14728 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Favourite Surah, Ayat, etc.?
     Reply #30 - March 31, 2016, 04:12 AM

Maher's fatiha is superb. I've never heard anyone else like him. Even the way he recites "al hamdu lillahi rabb-il alamin" is unique.
     Reply #31 - April 30, 2016, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I've always appreciated the beauty of describing people being burned in hell too.

The following is my musing a few months ago on a similarly matter:

I read the short story Signs and Symbols so many times that I now know certain paragraphs by heart. I’m unable however to understand it, let alone respond to it in any ‘proper’ form. For sure, I have long ago managed to stand again after having been swept off my feet by its deliberate mystery and sinister brilliance; so that I can observe with a dispassionate measure most of Nabokov’s narrative tools at work. Things like his playful patterning, his relevant imagery, his use of established rhetorical devices such as aposiopesis, chiasmus, zeugma, isocolon, hendiadys etc. All is sublunary and nothing beyond that.

Yet I do not believe he has written this haunting short story to elicit any particular response from the perspective reader, Nabokov being a high priest of art-for-art’s sake. Even today, 60 odd years having passed its publication, this story’s more or less singular legacy remains succès d'estime.

Generally, people lose patience with Nabokov and his Lolita when they dismiss a multi-layered work of art as a straightforward manifesto of sexual perversion without any redeeming aesthetic scope. As far as I can imagine, nobody is able to respond to Humbert Humbert’s gargantuan sense of loss when Dolores Haze finally manages to escape from him:

“This book is about Lolita; and now that I have reached the part which … might be called “Dolores disparue” [Dolores disappears], there would be little sense in analysing the three empty years that followed. While a few pertinent points have to be marked, the general impression I desire to convey is of a side door crashing open in life’s full flight, and a rush of roaring black time drowning with its whipping wind the cry of lone disaster.”

If you’re thinking this beauty is morally subversive then wait for the paragraph that immediately follows it:

“Singularly enough, I seldom if ever dreamed of Lolita as I remembered her — as I saw her constantly and obsessively in my conscious mind during my daymares and insomnias. More precisely: she did haunt my sleep but appeared there in strange and ludicrous disguises as Valeria [his ex-wife] or Charlotte [Lolita’s dead mother, also an ex-wife] or a cross between them. That complex ghost would come to me, shedding shift after shift, in an atmosphere of great melancholy and disgust, and would recline in dull invitation on some narrow board or hard settee, with flesh ajar like the rubber valve of a soccer ball's bladder. I would find myself, dentures fractured or hopelessly mislaid, in horrible chambres garnies [furnished rooms] where I would be entertained at tedious vivisection parties that generally ended with Charlotte or Valeria weeping in my bleeding arms and being tenderly kissed by my brotherly lips in a dream disorder of auctioneered Viennese bric-a-brac, pity, impotence and the brown wigs of tragic old women who had just been gassed.”

It is writing so beautifully about something so disgusting and hideous in Lolita that causes so much upset and offence to most its readers even today. How could anyone be so insensitive as to miss the unconscionable misery that belies Humbert Humbert’s carnal mirth in the above two paragraphs (so deep and unbelievable misery that even the Holocaust was fleetingly eluded to)?

In fact, Nabokov himself said that his inspiration for writing Lolita was a zoo monkey that drew the bars of its cage when it was offered a white page and charcoal. That ape couldn’t transcend its physical confinement any more than Humbert Humbert could his sexual one. This in other words is solipsism i.e. one cannot experientially connect with anything beyond one’s immediate existence, which in itself was occasioned by events, feelings and conditions that are external to what one has become thereafter.

Nabokov could have experimented with solipsistic selfhood in circumstantial morals more than he actually did; he could instead have tied up the petty criminality of a thief to their being mildly afflicted by Kleptomania, or an arsonist to pyromania. But where is the fun in that when these aren’t directly based on animal biology with which we all can easily identify?

The fun in this case was not to otherise but to humanise sexual diversity in a socially most uncomfortable way. Solipsizers are everywhere in today’s advertising industry, they’re the ones who assure you that sex sells. However, what they’re not saying clearly is that ephebophilia is more common than it is comfortable to admit.

If in doubt, survey the popular image of womanly perfection and beauty, and you should find all the things that are most evocative of the physique of young girls between 12 and 18. (This places too much pressure on any woman in her twenties or even early thirties, with all that is concomitant to advancing age, to compete with much younger girls, yes, by reason of ephebophilia. Then what’s the answer? Well, anti-aging products and Botox injections.) Thin, very thin actually, is beautiful in a woman, it says. Coupled with a woman’s thinness is her height but in a feminine proportion — this is overcome by the prosthetic aid of high heels which in turn accentuates the sexual allure of the buttocks; what else was the Victorian bustle for if not to Kim Kardashian womanly beauty?

Prosthetic beauty simply goes far beyond the incongruent ‘weave’ on a black woman’s head in that it is a matter of approximation where wearing foundation makeup, fake eyelashes, hot red lipstick, or sporting reddening cheeks in simulated post-coital glow, all do vigorously point, exaggeratingly of course, to the given properties of natural youth. This is all uncomfortable to think about even for those of us who are very Darwinian about our species, probably because we insist on our special case in our animal nature that sets us apart from the rest of the kingdom.

Inspiration apart however, this novel can easily be seen as an attack on Freudian thinking which Nabokov feuded with all his natural life. Not the polymorphous perverse but girls being sexually attracted to their fathers, boys to their mothers. But no. It is much easier for simple, moralising minds to reject and condemn Lolita, its inspiration and not very direct or serious approach on the singular basis of its cruel topic.
     Reply #32 - April 30, 2016, 04:56 PM

Fantastic read, much thanks!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #33 - April 30, 2016, 05:02 PM

I was scared. Scared out of my wits of shirrk as a child.

I remember as a child of eight, having had memorised surah Hajj, when I almost fainted immediately after suspecting myself of having committed shirrk. I visualised it all. He, the verse begins, who commits shirrk is as though he has physically fallen to the earth from the heavens for the birds to snatch him or for the gusty winds to land him into a deep pit.

A child of eight and half with an imaginative mind would suffer vertigo after such visualisation. On his way to here, this child had had eavesdropped on Luqman giving the final reminder to his son. Do not commit shirrk, O my son, it is the grievous injustice.

How later was it when I reached surah Youssef to cry with his poor old father; cried their circs, cried indeed the incalculable shirrk I thought they all committed for their sojood to Youssef.

The child had a habit of looking to the sky; please, please understand it was the ultimate vindication after having been doubted, kidnapped, enslaved, and ill-treated all these years that must’ve stopped Youssef stopping his parents and siblings from committing shirrk.

These were my teddy bears and worries before I went to bed.

I eventually reached surah Nis’a or Women without losing any imaginative acuity able (in verse 116) to make me believe that if I commit shirrk I will literally disappear off the face of earth, that my disgusted family will look and look for me but never find me because I will be in the remotest of place — a child on his own, having disgraced himself and shamed his family which all too easily used to beat him, out of love, when he went back to sleep and missed the Fajr prayer.

In surah Shura, verse 47, you can run but you cannot hide or take refuge from the solemn approach of the Final Day.

Something so awesome and vengeful in this fifty thousand year long day asking an incandescent question; did you, Issa, son of Maryam, tell people to take you and your mother as their two deities in lieu of me?

It’s the particularity of shirrk in surah Maryam where my adrenal glands almost gave my heart wings to fly. The archaic Arabic word Idda (إدا), which I didn’t know what it exactly meant, used to communicate unimaginable terror. Upon hearing about such a shirrk, the heavens wish to get ripped apart violently, the earth ditto, and the mountains crush and pulverise themselves en masse.  

I had to chase away the dark ornithology of shirrk, five years ago during the merry month of May. My heart couldn’t love so madly a being which it at the same time feared witless.

Constant vigilance was the order of my waking. And when I went to bed, for my body to die an effortless temporary death, I tended to make a silent prayer that Allah would live up to His gentlest being one of these nights, live up to His kindness, His beneficence so as to take pity on me and take me to Him. Put me out of constant vigilance, in other words.

And it is in the other words, particularly in the Nabakovian paragraph below, that that frightened child once found and recognised itself to have been many many years into adulthood. The long paragraph is from the short story referenced in my post above. It remains a tour de force of descriptive genius, vividly telling the story of the mentally ill, fictional son being cared for in a psychiatric unit:

"The system of his delusions had been the subject of an elaborate paper in a scientific monthly, which the doctor at the sanitarium had given to them to read. But long before that, she and her husband had puzzled it out for themselves. “Referential mania,” the article had called it. In these very rare cases, the patient imagines that everything happening around him is a veiled reference to his personality and existence. He excludes real people from the conspiracy, because he considers himself to be so much more intelligent than other men. Phenomenal nature shadows him wherever he goes. Clouds in the staring sky transmit to each other, by means of slow signs, incredibly detailed information regarding him. His inmost thoughts are discussed at nightfall, in manual alphabet, by darkly gesticulating trees. Pebbles or stains or sun flecks form patterns representing, in some awful way, messages that he must intercept. Everything is a cipher and of everything he is the theme. All around him, there are spies. Some of them are detached observers, like glass surfaces and still pools; others, such as coats in store windows, are prejudiced witnesses, lynchers at heart; others, again (running water, storms), are hysterical to the point of insanity, have a distorted opinion of him, and grotesquely misinterpret his actions. He must be always on his guard and devote every minute and module of life to the decoding of the undulation of things. The very air he exhales is indexed and filed away. If only the interest he provokes were limited to his immediate surroundings, but, alas, it is not! With distance, the torrents of wild scandal increase in volume and volubility. The silhouettes of his blood corpuscles, magnified a million times, flit over vast plains; and still farther away, great mountains of unbearable solidity and height sum up, in terms of granite and groaning firs, the ultimate truth of his being."
     Reply #34 - April 30, 2016, 09:00 PM

Suratul Muzzammil, Al Jinn and Ar-Rahman.
     Reply #35 - April 30, 2016, 09:50 PM

Suratul Muzzammil, Al Jinn and Ar-Rahman.

and AGWD .... they are your  Favourite Surah??     Cheesy     ....prankster ....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »