Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My story of leaving Islam

(Read 7920 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My story of leaving Islam
     OP - July 04, 2011, 10:07 PM

Hi everyone! I'm an ex-Muslim from the United States who's left the religion of peace probably more than a half decade ago. My studies of science and overall trends in history were probably what led me to question the faith first. For me this naturally led to questioning my parents and grandparents about any and all aspects of Islam that I found objectionable. Sometimes this led to circular arguments, other times I was drawn back in with "evidences" that seem woefully transparent to me now. Still, when at end I could not be convinced of the merits of a particular teaching I was always told by my parents to read the quran and its translation to gain a real understanding of Islam. As the writing style of the quran and its English translations is not really conducive to gaining an understanding of Islam, let alone our rapidly changing world, I looked into acquiring tafseer(commentary) of the Quran from Islamic scholars in order see the context that was always missing in the translation of quranic verses. I was greatly excited then, when I was able to get a copy of Ma'ariful Qur'an written by the respected scholar Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi from my local mosque, which sits in my bookshelf to this day.

I didn't know at the time how reading this narrative, the context behind the verses of the Quran would affect my attitude towards the religion. To me it was just incredibly exciting to get a glimpse into the mind of a great scholar as he interpreted the meaning behind the books often vague, poetically styled verses. My reading though, ended up bringing more questions and objections in my head than ever. There were many verses that I would discuss and debate at the time before I began to find the apology for Islam lacking, and I think most of us are familiar with the ones that are most absurd/objectionable. Suffice it to say, I quickly came to the conclusion that Islam as described in the Quran could not be the guide for all of mankind that it claimed to be and provided nothing resembling a reasonable way of life or deen for its followers in many largely pluralistic societies around the world.

I think it was at that point that I truly left Islam, but I haven't really gotten around to calling myself an atheist until recently. What most scared me about leaving Islam for all of these years wasn't a fear of a hell or other punishment, but rather the changed nature of my relationships with all the Muslims, especially my family, that I have surrounded myself with throughout my life. It was that feeling of aloneness that would keep me from being vocal about my thoughts about Islam and god. For that reason it brings me great joy to hear about and join a site such as this, that truly lets ex-Muslims like myself know that they are not alone, but are rather part of a continuing tide of those who are leaving Islam.

Thanks all for reading my story. I hope I'll be able to share a lot more of myself through these forums, and learn much about my fellow ex-Muslims as well.

Yours truly,

asbdsp#J

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Re: My story of leaving Islam
     Reply #1 - July 04, 2011, 10:20 PM

Hi everyone! I'm an ex-Muslim from the United States who's left the religion of peace probably more than a half decade ago. My studies of science and overall trends in history were probably what led me to question the faith first.

That is it SCIENCE MUST BE BANNED and schools with out Islamic teacher should be closed down
      I was greatly excited then, when I was able to get a copy of Ma'ariful Qur'an written by the respected scholar Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi from my local mosque, which sits in my bookshelf to this day.

That is teh problem with you guys who leave Islam., You are NOT reading proper Quran., you are supposed learn Arabic for 15 years and then attend a Madarassa in Pakistan or in Egypt Islamic school., after doing all that then if you say you are ex-Muslim we belive you., Other wsie you have NOT read Quran properly asbdsp

Hu! what does that asbdsp mean dear  asbdsp. Any way welcome to CEMB..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - July 04, 2011, 10:27 PM

Hello there. Have a parrot.  parrot

So tell us how you found this place.
     Reply #3 - July 04, 2011, 10:53 PM

That is it SCIENCE MUST BE BANNED and schools with out Islamic teacher should be closed down That is teh problem with you guys who leave Islam., You are NOT reading proper Quran., you are supposed learn Arabic for 15 years and then attend a Madarassa in Pakistan or in Egypt Islamic school., after doing all that then if you say you are ex-Muslim we belive you., Other wsie you have NOT read Quran properly asbdsp

Lol. Believe me I have gotten this kind of response from my parents many times.

Hu! what does that asbdsp mean dear  asbdsp. Any way welcome to CEMB..

Well when I was registering for the forum my thinking was that I'd only get one chance to make a good impression with my username, and I couldn't change it. So then I typed in asbdsp#J and hit register. And then I was like ohmy.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - July 04, 2011, 11:00 PM

Hello there. Have a parrot.  parrot

So tell us how you found this place.

Found the youtube video titled: Ex Muslim? Thinking of leaving Islam? Tired of pretending to be a Muslim? *** You Are Not Alone! by CEMBadmins.

Found this while scrolling through the favorites of the atheist youtuber philhellenes.

Also I can't post links.  Cry

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - July 05, 2011, 02:59 AM

You will be able to after a certain number of posts.
     Reply #6 - July 05, 2011, 11:28 AM

Somewhat similar experience to myself...and it is a great forum we've got here! I remember my reaction upon discovering this place.  dance

Welcome asbdsp#J!  Smiley
     Reply #7 - July 05, 2011, 12:23 PM

signwelcome asbdsp#J, and have a  parrot

Good that you are living in the US. Now you may lose some Muslim friends, but you can gain many other friends who are not interested in your religion, or the lack of it  Afro

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #8 - July 08, 2011, 12:38 PM

You are not alooone...
    I am (we are) here with youuu...
    Welcome #J
    What does your name mean?

I'm open for debate (of why we should re-/embrace Islam), but I will no longer participate in this forum. Message me if you need anything. Good luck and may you all find your way... again...
     Reply #9 - July 09, 2011, 04:44 PM

My name is a combination of some other words that have only a personal meaning. I also wanted to make a name with almost no vowels so it could be pronounced however you want.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - July 09, 2011, 05:05 PM

Hi Asbdsp#j (ur name takes forever to type lol)
    Welcome to the forum!
    Where r u from the US?
    I'm from Michigan.

Anyway, enjoy ur stay!
    Heres a traditional parrot grin12
     parrot parrot
     Reply #11 - July 09, 2011, 09:23 PM

Welcome my fellow Homo Sapien. I'm new too- joined the other day. This is a great site.

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #12 - July 09, 2011, 11:58 PM

Hi Asbdsp#j (ur name takes forever to type lol)
    Welcome to the forum!
    Where r u from the US?
    I'm from Michigan.

Anyway, enjoy ur stay!
    Heres a traditional parrot grin12
     parrot parrot

I'm currently in the southeastern part, though I've moved around the US a bit.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - July 10, 2011, 04:50 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I can see it must have been difficult. Anyways I'm eternity and I'm pretty new here myself so welcome to the site and enjoy!
     Reply #14 - July 27, 2011, 10:46 PM

Hey. Sorry for the late welcome, but good to have you here Smiley

Hi
     Reply #15 - August 17, 2011, 05:56 AM

Am I the only one who'd really like to call you Ass-bud Soup?

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #16 - August 17, 2011, 05:56 AM

Cheesy
     Reply #17 - August 17, 2011, 07:47 PM

I've been doing that in my head for ages... whistling2
     Reply #18 - August 17, 2011, 08:57 PM

This is now the only official pronunciation of my name.

All deviant pronunciations are hereby outlawed, and all such heretics will be given 40 lashes.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #19 - September 09, 2011, 08:38 PM

Welcome.

fuck you
     Reply #20 - July 04, 2012, 08:49 PM

One year ago, at the exact time of this post, asbie registered on CEMB. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary asbie!  party!

Enjoy your ATATATATATATATATATING.  grin12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwHUUPTVPE
     Reply #21 - July 04, 2012, 09:26 PM

One year ago, at the exact time of this post, asbie registered on CEMB. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary asbie!  party!

Enjoy your ATATATATATATATATATING.  grin12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwHUUPTVPE

Thanks -Tmp-. Still can't believe it's been a year already, it's gone by in such a blur. It's been a joy getting to know so many of you on this forum and share our experiences! Hope the coming years will bring more of the same, and better.  cheers

Edit: Damn -Tmp-, now that I realize it, you've also crossed 1 year on this forum a little while ago. Let's celebrate our 1st years' together!

hppybday

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #22 - July 04, 2012, 10:25 PM

KEEP FLYING PAL!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #23 - August 22, 2014, 02:55 PM

Welcome asbie  parrot

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #24 - August 22, 2014, 02:58 PM

Lol indeed.  Cheesy

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »