Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hijab, self esteem and the culture of beauty

(Read 23384 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hijab, self esteem and the culture of beauty
     OP - June 30, 2011, 09:21 AM

How much do you think this ties together in the Western world amonsgt young muslim women?

Here is a post I blogged about this topic earlier this year when it was weighing on my mind, much as it does all the time:

(Clicky for piccy!)

Yes, keep telling yourself that, one day it might be true.  One day I might be able to pretend, like you do, that there is a real choice in it, but in all fairness that day has come and gone already.

Once upon a time I believed as you do, that my choosing to don the veil was all down to personal choice and if we will argue semantics, the process is of course a choice.  How can it not be?  I choose to sleep for only 4 hours a night even though my kids will drag me out of bed at the crack of dawn whether its half term or not.  I make that choice knowing my consequences the next day.  I’m not going to be that Mary Poppins I promised myself as I fell asleep listening to Norah Jones.  No, rather I know that Cruella DeVille is the face I will wake up showing my pack of hyperactive monsters.

Yet the choice of the veil isn’t as light as the choice between a good nights rest vs an irritable mother, its more like the choice one faces when a mugger holds a blade to your throat and orders you to hand over your valuables.  (been there, done that, but he never gave me a T shirt in exchange for my jewelry)

The choice isn’t really a choice when its made by force, and if the threat of a millenia roasting in the boiling depths of hell isn’t force, then what is it?  keep telling me its a real choice and I will keep looking at you in shameful wonder.  Shameful because I was once that deluded myself.  Maybe not 100%.  Maybe that part of me that was so angry that I was being forced to make a choice between 2 forms of torture was my little awareness of the ridiculous demand upon me that my gender warranted.

Somehow though, I don’t even think that.  For awhile I know I had my blinkers firmly in place, and I believed I was an empowered muslim woman, exercising my freedom of choice.

I wish I could say I laugh at that person I used to be, chuckling under my breath at my silly superstitious beliefs, but I can’t laugh.  Not when my choice to wear a veil and my delusion were reinforced by a disorder I continue to struggle with, no longer protected by the veil.

For me, the choice to wear a veil wasn’t wholly to protect myself from thousands of years of torture, it was made under the clouded perception of a Body Dysmorphic sufferer, meaning it was about hiding my face away from the world where no one had to see it anymore and I didn’t have to feel judged.

Under that veil I was nobody, it didn’t matter if I was ugly, fat, hideous, or any of the terms of description I would apply to myself, I was just a nobody.  I slipped in and out of familiar places with former acquaintances completely oblivious to my existence.  Except to stop and stare at the extremist muslim in their midst.  It was an awesome feeling to be so invisible and free of people noticing you.

I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder, being THAT faceless was a relief.  No one trying to talk to you, no men trying to harass you or get into your pants.  (maybe a few pervs but 1% of the time?  way better).  If I felt judged at all, or saw people watching me, I could chalk it up to my clothing and my religion, something that was within my power to change if I wanted to, and since I didn’t at that time, the judgements never bothered me.

My looks though, that’s another thing altogether.  Out of the veil when I see people watching me, I look away because I don’t want them to see me, to notice me, or to notice my looks.  My friends, my shrink, my family all try to tell me it’s “just in your head”.  Having read up about the disorder that I have been battling with for almost 2 decades of my life, I can see that I have what is called a ‘false belief’ about my appearance.  Or at least I can see that I fit the profile, behave the same way, dismiss the compliments as bullshit and lies.  I literally loathe compliments and the people who give them.  I consider each word as if it is coming from a poisonous lying snake, extreme maybe, but that is how I react mentally when someone tells me I look good.  Sadly I even told my 7 yr  old daughter off just the other day for telling me I looked beautiful.  I asked her to not say it ever again because it upsets me, and a few weeks before that I tried to talk to her about paying people  compliments that weren’t true.

My false belief, my real belief, does it really matter if it seems so true to me? True enough to actually make me embrace the veil one upon a time?, which represents something I completely disapprove of.

One of the arguments in favour of hijabs, and niqabs is that it removes the pressure that women in the West, a celebrity, beauty driven culture in which eating disorders are hitting a record high, and cosmetic surgery figures continue to rise, have to face on a daily basis.  Its true, I’m bombarded with images of what I should look like, and continually aware that that is not the image I see in my mirror (which is why my bathroom mirror is turned away to the wall so I can’t see it), but Body Dysmorphic Disorder could be triggered by more than just social conditioning through the media of the Western world, as those arguments would like to have us believe.

Instead from my understanding of it, BDD can be either hereditary, down to chemical imbalances, or going back to their argument, it can come from all of that social crap life likes to put us through.  Notions of beauty can and do change, some centuries it’s about plumpness, and some its about how skinny you can get, but the notion of beauty itself never changes.  A man coming to request your hand in marriage can still request to see the potential brides face first, meaning at some stage, even the one behind the veil will have her worth judged based on her looks.  Before I ever had to deal with media pressure, I had to deal with Moroccan notions of beauty, and the fact the my brown skin didn’t fit it.  My belief that I am ugly was conditioned into me by my background, one that centred around how pale a desirable Arab girl should be  (sadly Morocco being an Arab conquered country oh so long ago, follows an Arab idea of beauty, ergo youth and nice pasty skin) so spare me the lectures on the Western media, sure it sucks, but conditioning starts in words as a toddler that you begin to learn.  Ideas you weren’t born with, and were formed first and foremost by the compliments or teasing jokes, said over you by towering adults whose words seemed to be nothing but the truth to you.

Even Mohammed wasn’t above the notion of beauty, often taking the most beautiful of the captives as wives for himself.  Saffiyah was apparently quite the catch.  Looks, like money, make the world go round.  If you have none, you have nothing.

The media isn’t the culprit, even if it is the sidekick, and the veil is not mine or your answer.  It doesn’t take away the real problem.  It might make it easier to bear the pressure, but it doesn’t cure the problem because the problem is life itself.  Can the notion of beauty ever be squashed out?  maybe if we as a species wake up blind one day.  Truth is people doing stupid things, like starving themselves to death, or coating their skins in pale powder that slowly poisons them, bleaching their daughters skins, or elongating their necks in the name of some crazy ideal of beauty, will carry on, like all things do.

Still though, it might not have been the cure to BDD, but for a while at least, it healed the wound.  I miss my invisibility, and being this exposed since I rejected Islam and its oppressive fabric cage, isn’t doing my disorder any favours at all.

The BDD saga will be continued……………………..

http://theanomieofanexmuslim.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/body-dysmorphic-disorder-or-the-veil/

(Yes, this is my blog, and there are a lot of password protected posts since a lot of it is too personal to share)

But how true is this?

I mean I have been thinking about this a lot.  There are days that I miss the veil so much since to me it was a protection from this constant judgement.

This world that we live is obsessed with looks, you can never be good enough and tons of women, and some men (nowhere near as many as women) succumb to this pressure every day.

When I was veiled I didn't feel the pressure.  I felt free from that burden, but enslaved to another burden.  The question is really how many other girls feel that this beauty pressure is lessened by the veil?

It is no lie that Islam itself sells the hijab/veil as a cure for the epidemic, you can google and stumble across loads of women saying how it helped with their self esteem because they longer felt driven to look good in a world where women have no choice but to look good.

This is another interesting look by a muslim woman, who talks of studies that show willfully embracing the full veil helps body esteem issues, and shows that women who only wear the hijab and still wear tight clothes, etc, still suffer the same effects that those of us in the west do.  Esteem disorders, eating disorders etc. http://sakina08.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/hijab-a-protective-factor-in-womens-body-image-issues/

Is the world as beauty driven as I believe it to be? Yes it bloody well is:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/beautiful-people-earn-12-more-than-ugly-bettys-461261.html

It is all looks looks looks.

I'm not advocating the niqab as a solution, far from it, I hate it.  It is just a mask (much like the mask I insisted on wearing on tinychat because I don't want to be seen) and it doesn;t help.

It's pretty sad that I feel more normal behind a mask/niqab than I do behind my own face, but that is the BDD talking.

My fear here is how the two socially destructive problems, the enforced veiling of women as sexual objects, or the forced objectifying of women as needing to be beautiful to the point that they are clamouring for sugery to change themselves, are actively and horrifically supporting each other here.

I had no idea that telling my daughter she was beautiful all the time would create in her a belief that looks are important and to be valued, and I instead will now focus on complimenting everything, her brain, her courage, her seriousness, her sweet kind nature.

Your thoughts?

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: Hijab, self esteem and the culture of beauty
     Reply #1 - June 30, 2011, 10:02 AM

My fear here is how the two socially destructive problems, the enforced veiling of women as sexual objects, or the forced objectifying of women as needing to be beautiful to the point that they are clamouring for sugery to change themselves, are actively and horrifically supporting each other here.

I had no idea that telling my daughter she was beautiful all the time would create in her a belief that looks are important and to be valued, and I instead will now focus on complimenting everything, her brain, her courage, her seriousness, her sweet kind nature.

Expose her to various forms of art for therein lies a multitude of perception of beauty. Music, literature, dramatic arts, and printed art: they all show a side of the world from the sublimely breathtaking to the brutish ugliness of truth, all of which encompass a different idea of beauty. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if one can think philosophically about beauty, then they can make an informed decision on how they will perceive and present themselves to others. I'm interested in what you think about this approach.
     Reply #2 - June 30, 2011, 10:14 AM

Expose her to various forms of art for therein lies a multitude of perception of beauty. Music, literature, dramatic arts, and printed art: they all show a side of the world from the sublimely breathtaking to the brutish ugliness of truth, all of which encompass a different idea of beauty. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if one can think philosophically about beauty, then they can make an informed decision on how they will perceive and present themselves to others. I'm interested in what you think about this approach.

I'm not so sure I agree that an introduction to the arts is the way to go, is not the chiselled perfection sculpted into some greek statue just more beauty but from a different era?

I think I read somewhere once that the desperation for perfectly chiselled features stems from the beauty of old art. 

Sure, there is breadth to what is deemed beautiful within visible artwork, but in literature itself beauty is driven home.

I was a fantasist, I was lost in a world of dragons and beautifl powerful women who I longed to emulate long before MTV was born.

Beauty is especially lauded within the arts, irregardless of the type of beauty being sold.

I think only some people are able to break away from this and view beauty for what it is, just another mask that does not necessarily speak for the person within.  Unfortunately a large amount of women, especially although I don;t deny there are men, that succumb to this and begin to regulate how they look all the time.

I can not teach her to view beauty philosphically if I am myself incapable of seeing it in that light.

Take a look around the forum.

Stay long enough and you will see, the moment it becomes apparant that an ex muslim female is attractive because she posts a pic of herself, her popularity amongst the male ex muslim members increases.  It's like an instance assurance into getting people to respond.  The converse affect can be seen here too, if you watch long enough.

Post an ass pic and the support jumps immensely, I should know, its not like I haven't done it too lol.

Then look at the threads in which everyone objectifies everyone, its like no matter where you go you can't escape that if you don't look good, you are nothing. 

This is apparant in loads of forums, as is the choice of your avatar.  People respond to beauty.

So right now, masks seem a cure to me.

One day I will be brave enough to wear a V for vendetta mask as I walk down the road.  People will stare but I will know why they are staring, and it will not bother me. 

Reply #3 - June 30, 2011, 10:25 AM

Your thoughts?

It requires balance. Women have beautify and have evolved to display that beauty for a reason. Appearing presentable/looking their best makes people more likable, approachable and even easier to work with. On one side it is the burka situation, on the other the botox parties and barbie style modifications. I'm no parent but I would suggest to tell your daughter about this balance - if you think it is appropriate.
     Reply #4 - June 30, 2011, 10:38 AM

I have to run, but you are wrong,  Women are not naturally evolved to behave this way. 

Maybe women under this gender assumption about what a woman is supposed to be like behave that way, but real women, and being female is diverse, do not actually fit the way you are being taught women are.

Anyway when I get back I will expand my arguement against what you posted, which actually just happens to tell women that a natural woman cares about these things.

You are merely perpetuating this belief. 

Reply #5 - June 30, 2011, 10:40 AM

BerberElla, I hesitate to contradict you in some of your points but I think I must in order to 'alleviate' some misconceptions you might have.

I'm not so sure I agree that an introduction to the arts is the way to go, is not the chiselled perfection sculpted into some greek statue just more beauty but from a different era?

I think I read somewhere once that the desperation for perfectly chiselled features stems from the beauty of old art.

Certainly the pre-Modern era art portrays what you speak of. However, since we're on the subject of printed/sculpted arts: take a lot at Van Gogh, Picasso, or any Modern or post-Modernist artist. They portray ugliness, dis-proportion, in some sense, a twisted truth. But there is also a sense of beauty in that that makes one see beyond the sexual idea of attractiveness.

Furthermore, even in 'old art', there are examples of brutality and the ugliness of humanity. For instance, since you brought it up, my avatar is that of Hector of Troy leaving his wife and child for the last time. Beauty is not about his looks, but about his ideal: the bravest man to defend his people and his family, even at the cost of his own life. You see BerberElla, there is a subtext to much of art, and mine is just an example. Sure Hector looks handsome and gallant, but he is truly scared for his own life and hesitates to leave his family, but he must. The fall of Troy is an old story and that painting is relatively new. The main subtext is that Andromache, Hector's wife, becomes a Grecian slave, and his son is thrown off the tall walls of Troy, hence him leaving them at that moment is the shattering of their entire family. It's a brutal painting, and I think it's heart-breaking when I think about it. But anyways, my point being that there is more to what you see.

Let me give you an example in literature: Machiavelli's "The Prince" was not written as a guide, rather as a satire. Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" portrays honorable values, good judgment, and intellect as superior to physical beauty (and it very obviously does so). The same with Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre". Home and Virgil no doubt fail to shy away from the ugliness of humanity, physical beauty being but a mere tool at times.

I was a fantasist, I was lost in a world of dragons and beautiful powerful women who I longed to emulate long before MTV was born.

Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series actually portrays a matriarchal society, led by women of all shapes, sizes, and physical attractiveness. Perhaps it's just the literature you've been reading (sorry!). The classics however are filled with notions of attractiveness that are not like the MTV portrayal of beauty, so try reading something from the Romantic or pre-Romantic era, I'm sure you'll be surprised.

I think only some people are able to break away from this and view beauty for what it is, just another mask that does not necessarily speak for the person within.  Unfortunately a large amount of women, especially although I don;t deny there are men, that succumb to this and begin to regulate how they look all the time.

This is a statement of fact, and I agree with it.

Do I suggest any solutions to the problem of beauty? Yes. Understand beauty, understand humanity, and understand yourself. Then be your own master. "Society" no longer bounds us if we know it's facade for what it is so you can play along with it, or break free of it without feeling like an outcast.

Reply #6 - June 30, 2011, 10:48 AM

Your thoughts?

I think you've outlined something that is obvious, we need a culture change. And I think you've outlined how to start that change, by encouraging kids to value and accept all aspects of themselves and others.

But I do believe that the media plays a big role in shaping our consciousness. We mainly think in images in this age, and the images that are bombarding us are men and women who have personal trainers, professional make-up artists and camera tricks, and then the form an archetype of beauty in our culture's consciousness IMO.

The common response I've read to how the media shapes our standards of beauty, and the issue chronic low self-esteem in our society is the same, cultivating self-acceptance in ourselves and our kids, and valuing our whole being rather than appearances, and status.

Nathaniel Branden is a called the Godfather of self esteem and he has some very practical advice on how to raise self-esteem.
     Reply #7 - June 30, 2011, 10:50 AM

Take a look around the forum.

Stay long enough and you will see, the moment it becomes apparant that an ex muslim female is attractive because she posts a pic of herself, her popularity amongst the male ex muslim members increases.  It's like an instance assurance into getting people to respond.  The converse affect can be seen here too, if you watch long enough.

To be honest, i couldnt agree more berbs even though im guilty of that. I couldnt agree with your more.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #8 - June 30, 2011, 11:37 AM

Manifesting your inner beauty, loving yourself, feeling comfortable in your own skin and confident when out in the world, means you can give your undivided attention when interacting with others without the distraction of insecurity. And it's trivially obvious that this will be better appreciated by others. True beauty is free from self-affliction. It is sincere, open, untroubled, unthought, unforced, effortless. It just so happens that some people have a natural head start being born with an appealing form. We are natural beasts and need to accept that, and move on. Physical beauty is beautiful and deserves to be, as much as any other form of beauty and appreciation. It is only an enviable thing if we become obsessed with only physical beauty, at the cost of other myriad expressions of beauty to be found in this universe vying for our attention and potentially being neglected.

Both extreme cosmetic surgery and veiling are symptoms of extreme insecurity, individually and also a measure of an insecure society. But they are both very differently expressions of it and received very differently for a reason. Being beautiful or confident doesn't put you anywhere near either of those extreme quagmires of self-affliction. Not even in the middle. Not even operating on the same scale. They are both parasitic ideas on a purer, natural bearing.

Minor cosmetic corrections can alleviate individual insecurity. And these little tweaks can go unnoticed in society. A good nose job wouldn't be noticeable unless you'd known the person previous to the operation. But it can make the person much more comfortable in themselves and in personal relationships, to the point where even they forget about it, whereas they might before have been held back feeling ugly. Paranoia is a destroyer.

The veil is entirely different. It's rude. It's brute physical disconnect from society and individuals. It's rude to approach me while hiding behind such a thing. Because it's a visible symbol of an unspoken opinion about people. About me. It's alienating me on purpose from them, as much as it is alienating them 'by choice'. It's saying something to me that I already do not like. A person hiding behind cosmetic surgery isn’t doing so because they want to be isolated from what they see as a wicked and contemptible society, covered and protected from unclean and inferior people - they do it because they want to join in freely with society, without being so self-conscious, to be happy and appreciated as an individual within it. Cosmetic surgery is a thing of degrees - a little bit, while ultimately unnecessary, is demonstrably better than too much. The veil is a one shot, unsophisticated, ugly thing.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #9 - June 30, 2011, 11:42 AM

The veil is entirely different. It's rude. It's brute physical disconnect from society and individuals. It's rude to approach me while hiding behind such a thing. Because it's a visible symbol of an unspoken opinion about people. About me. It's alienating me on purpose from them, as much as it is alienating them 'by choice'. It's saying something to me that I already do not like. A person hiding behind cosmetic surgery isn’t doing so because they want to be isolated from what they see as a wicked and contemptible society, covered and protected from unclean and inferior people - they do it because they want to join in freely with society, without being so self-conscious, to be happy and appreciated as an individual within it. Cosmetic surgery is a thing of degrees - a little bit, while ultimately unnecessary, is demonstrably better than too much. The veil is a one shot, unsophisticated, ugly thing.

+Infinity ad absurdum
     Reply #10 - June 30, 2011, 12:19 PM

I agree with Berbs. In human contemporary western cultures, there is excessive pressure on women to cut, purge, hide, apologize for their bodies, and this is not anywhere near the amount of pressure on males. Both women and men perpetuate this pressure. This is one of the main reasons many women get sick of playing the game and turn to Islam, or to a more extreme version of Islam. But those women are playing the same game of patriarchy.

From an article comparing the Burqa to Western gender ideology:
    What are the similarities between a burqa-clad woman walking down the street like a Dementor from Harry Potter movies, and an anorexic, breast-implanted, botox-filled woman walking down the street in a halter top and short shorts? They have both accepted and internalized the notion that they exist to satisfy men. The niqabi woman (who is doing it out of “choice”) wants to be owned by particular men, her father, husband, brother – she wants to be private property. The halter-top woman wants to be desired, admired, and have her existence affirmed by the maximum number of men – she wants to be  public property. But both only see themselves and all other women as men’s property. How is it liberating to be on one extreme or the other?

I wonder what it would be like for more women to learn their own self-worth and not define or dress themselves purely for the benefit of men. What irks me about those feminists and otherwise liberal westerners who would disregard the ethical implications of too much cultural relativism, and who look the other way at any mention of Muslim-on-Muslim oppression, besides the fact that they are subscribing to the “noble savage” cliche of the exoticized “other”, is that they are also still playing by the same rules that patriarchy has outlined for millenia: “Women, you were created for men. Your only choices are: either be a virgin or a whore, your womb is the only thing that matters. The rest of you, your brain, your heart, your talents, your ambitions, your words, your voice, don’t matter, unless some man somewhere finds you worthy of being his property.”

And NO females are not "evolutionarily" preprogrammed to "beautify" themselves. Do some research FFS. In most species of animals, it's the males who are more physically beautiful, it's the males who have the bright plumage, it's the males who dance and sing to attract the females, who are usually plain looking and often bigger in size than the males.

This has been the case in most human societies too, until the idea of female sexuality as a sin was perpetuated by patriarchal religions. Females were pushed to the side as patriarchal ideology took hold from empires in Sumeria to Ancient Greece, Rome, Europe and North America.

Now, most women don't see themselves except through the lens of patriarchy. Remember: patriarchy is not "rule by men" but "rule by the fathers". This ideology denigrates both women and men. Women just because they can never be seen as equals in value to men in patriarchy, and men because they are only seen as valuable when they dominate over others. Patriarchal gender ideology devalues not just women, unless they are serving the patriarchs' agendae, but also devalues the non-dominating aspects of men, like men's capacity for nurturing, kindness, love, compassion, empathy and intuition

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - June 30, 2011, 04:29 PM

And NO females are not "evolutionarily" preprogrammed to "beautify" themselves. Do some research FFS.

Blimey - didn't mean to offend here - nor did I mean it that way - let me clarify.

While I agree that Western pressures on women to appear a certain way is OTT and that this is an issue (men too btw), I think this is an issue with the media and industries that have a vested interest in projecting such images. This then runs into a similar and related theme with the over sexualisation of young teens.

Then I think there is an aspect that women compete with each other to be more beautiful and out do the many other women they view. Again the media/mags/fashion label imagery doesn’t help.

However, aside from the above, I think here is a lot of evidence within human specifies that beauty (especially in women) has played a part in human evolution. Lots of evidence cited here remarking how beauty relates to fertility, waist size, facial symmetry and youthfulness (for the benefit of an offspring) for example: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=52418

Specifically these two articles:
    - The 'Perfect' Female (an analysis of Biology of Beauty)

evolutionary scientists including Darwin himself have found that certain features and characteristics considered beautiful are indicators of developmental health and is fundamental to the evolutionary process of both humans and animals alik

- Sexual Selection and the Biology of Beauty

Human beauty standards reflect our evolutionary distant and recent past and emphasize the role of health assessment in mate choice.

So, what I mean to say is: yes, while I think there are issues in Western society in the way women are overly sexualized, over compete or over perfected with imagery; I do think it is unfair to say that expressing beauty by girls is negative thing per se.  If moderate amounts of beauty makes a woman feel good about herself, or gets the attention of a guy she is after, or builds confidence in herself, why is so bad about that? I don’t think it is just a coincidence that there are many women who do feel good about displaying some beauty, since there is an evolutionary underlying to it. That said, I understand this “feel good factor” can become obsessive and this is wrong also. Hence, as I say, I think it comes down to balance. The Burka is one extreme, severe plastic surgery or obsession with looks the other extreme.

I also think there is a difference between Islamic style Burka oppression and Western cultural "oppression on women to look great". One has the autonomy of systematically defining values which can change over time. The other is a pretty static interpretation bounded by blind faith and fear.

Example of autonomy on this very issue:
    Plans to tackle over sexualisation of children revealed
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13652551
     Reply #12 - June 30, 2011, 04:40 PM

BerberElla, I hesitate to contradict you in some of your points but I think I must in order to 'alleviate' some misconceptions you might have.

Hey Kleine Smiley don;t hesitate to contradict, this is how we learn and grow no?  Plus, as the one who has BDD, I already know that I have many misconceptions, so I'm interested in hearing the other side.

Certainly the pre-Modern era art portrays what you speak of. However, since we're on the subject of printed/sculpted arts: take a lot at Van Gogh, Picasso, or any Modern or post-Modernist artist. They portray ugliness, dis-proportion, in some sense, a twisted truth. But there is also a sense of beauty in that that makes one see beyond the sexual idea of attractiveness.

Furthermore, even in 'old art', there are examples of brutality and the ugliness of humanity. For instance, since you brought it up, my avatar is that of Hector of Troy leaving his wife and child for the last time. Beauty is not about his looks, but about his ideal: the bravest man to defend his people and his family, even at the cost of his own life. You see BerberElla, there is a subtext to much of art, and mine is just an example. Sure Hector looks handsome and gallant, but he is truly scared for his own life and hesitates to leave his family, but he must. The fall of Troy is an old story and that painting is relatively new. The main subtext is that Andromache, Hector's wife, becomes a Grecian slave, and his son is thrown off the tall walls of Troy, hence him leaving them at that moment is the shattering of their entire family. It's a brutal painting, and I think it's heart-breaking when I think about it. But anyways, my point being that there is more to what you see.

No doubt each portrait tells a story, every work of art with its own subtext, but how does understanding that story really help someone who at the onset of puberty (which I have read is when BDD kids in) is already looking in horror at the mirror?

I am perfectly aware that the Mona Lisa is not a beautiful woman by today's standards, I already know that there were times in which the ideal of today was ugly.  In morocco once there was a time in which being skinny wasn't a good thing at all.  But then ideas of beauty were wide hips, plumper bodies, which means it was still about what society dictates an attractive woman should look like.

When I was introduced to art, picasso, van gogh et al, as a teenager, all it was was art.  Was there beauty?  yes of course, but did that make me let go on modern notions of beauty?  sadly, no.  

Perhaps if it was taught in such a way, rather than a bored teacher walking around an art museum telling you what is what, and was instead used as a way to present this view that you embrace, to a new generation, we could see if it would be successful as a means to an end, its just that not many are naturally drawn to the arts.

Let me give you an example in literature: Machiavelli's "The Prince" was not written as a guide, rather as a satire. Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" portrays honorable values, good judgment, and intellect as superior to physical beauty (and it very obviously does so). The same with Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre". Home and Virgil no doubt fail to shy away from the ugliness of humanity, physical beauty being but a mere tool at times.

Are not the Bronte sisters, and Austen examples of a woman ultimately embracing their value as women through love?  and is it not this princess mission for love all tied in to this race for the beauty one needs to get it?

I think my point here is that art/literature all rely on personal interpretation, if I interpret the 2 mentioned (I've got virgil and homer for reading over the summer) as helping push that love mission and therefore that mission for beauty, then it doesn't help everybody.

Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series actually portrays a matriarchal society, led by women of all shapes, sizes, and physical attractiveness. Perhaps it's just the literature you've been reading (sorry!). The classics however are filled with notions of attractiveness that are not like the MTV portrayal of beauty, so try reading something from the Romantic or pre-Romantic era, I'm sure you'll be surprised.

I have read the wheel of time series (you couldn't even guess how many times Wink ), and yeah, it's matriachal, and yes women come in all shapes and sizes but the main love stories consist of beautiful women, considered beautiful amongst their own cultures, and there are constant references to their awesome, eye popping good looks.

Again I refer back to my orginal point, interpretation of the text is sometimes more important than the text itself.  I see nothing but love and beauty in those examples.  

This one book, the ill made mute, is about an ugly girl who can not talk, but guess what?  she wasn't ugly at all, it was all a spell, that as lifted when her faerie prince came for her.

Find love, need beauty, find love, be beautiful, find love, keep trying.  

Quasimodo, beauty in the unattractive, great on paper, but when the world has an imbalance created by looks, ontop of class, gender, sexuality, religion, oh jesus do the ways in which we side line people ever stop?

I see your point, I just don't see it's power to create change, since you would need to insist that your interpretation was the right one, and that will always remain open to debate.

This is a statement of fact, and I agree with it.
    Do I suggest any solutions to the problem of beauty? Yes. Understand beauty, understand humanity, and understand yourself. Then be your own master. "Society" no longer bounds us if we know it's facade for what it is so you can play along with it, or break free of it without feeling like an outcast.

Yes, agreed.  

But rationalise that to kids this young:

At the extreme end of the spectrum, one six-year-old girl presented to a paediatrician with food avoidance, excessive exercising and fear of weight gain but had not been diagnosed with anorexia because she was not severely underweight.

The youngest child to be diagnosed with anorexia was eight years old.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6498345.stm

This is why i think its important to talk about this subject, I have a daughter and just a few months ago had to face the consequences of my actions because she started showing signs of food avoidance, and worrying about whether she is slim.  She is 7, and slim, slimmer than I think is right for little girls her age.

This is my issues rubbing off on her.  So although I was constantly told I wasn't attractive enough, white enough and slim enough to get a husband, even though I have never ever told my little girl anything other than she is beautiful, my own self hatred and my compliments to her are creating similar damage.

And I see this in others.  My bitch sister making her 12yr old daughter diet, even though she is not fat, why if not because her mother desires her daughter to be attractive to men?.

What are we actually doing here?

I read a lot of literature as a young girl, but it did not save me from the things I thought of myself.  It offered me a way to escape, but increased my need to be perfect or nothing.

So, for me I guess I have yet to grasp what you have out of the arts.  You are lucky you have that POV.   yes

Reply #13 - June 30, 2011, 04:55 PM

HighOctane, Do you believe that modern science has not been influenced in any way by the patriarchal gender ideology in which it has developed? Evo-psych in particular is often criticized for trying to find excuses for old-school gender norms, while ignoring evidence that challenges those norms.

No, the equivalence may be in the way men are often insecure about their penises, not the rest of their bodies. The kind of deeply humiliating pressure that men deal with when it comes to penis size, is the kind of pressure women deal with regarding their entire bodies.

I think this is an issue with the media and industries that have a vested interest in projecting such images. This then runs into a similar and related theme with the over sexualisation of young teens.

I agree that media have a huge part to play in perpetuating gender norms. It's the chicken and the egg though - viewers consume that crap and media keep producing it. When enough viewers demand change, media changes. Sometimes, some media producers are more enlightened and ahead of their times, too.

Then I think there is an aspect that women compete with each other to be more beautiful and out do the many other women they view. Again the media/mags/fashion label imagery doesn’t help.

Yes and women compete with each other IN patriarchal cultures to look more beautiful for the benefit of men, because (dominant) men hold power in patriarchy. Women can gain security/power/status in patriarchal power structures only vicariously by snaring a powerful/wealthy man. That doesn't show a biological programming, but that in a patriarchal society, all humans, women included, will do whatever it takes to survive. It also means that when women are sustaining themselves and the power structures change enough so that women do not have to rely on men for economic or social support, but can support each other and themselves, then that competition over "beauty" is decreased.

However, aside from the above, I think here is a lot of evidence within human specifies that beauty (especially in women) has played a part in human evolution.

Nope. If you study closer as I do in Anthropology and Sexuality, you will find that ideas of beauty change, and it's only in patriarchal societies that women's physical beauty (and sexual exclusivity) is valued above everything else about them.

while I think there are issues in Western society in the way women are overly sexualized, over compete or over perfected with imagery; I do think it is unfair to say that expressing beauty by girls is negative thing per se.

Nobody has said that. What I am saying is that it is the pressure on women to sacrifice their bodies at the altar of femininity that leads to anorexia, bulimia, botox parties, and to extreme devotion to Islam in other cases, as a way to escape that pressure. As long as we, you and I and all of us, continue to buy and reinforce those pressures, women will continue to value themselves only in terms of their looks and only within the narrow confines of what is considered "beautiful" at any given time.

If moderate amounts of beauty makes a woman feel good about herself, or gets the attention of a guy she is after, or builds confidence in herself, why is so bad about that? I don’t think it is just a coincidence that there are many women who do feel good about displaying some beauty, since there is an evolutionary underlying to it.

Again, not saying individual women are "bad" if they follow these norms. I am saying these norms are bad. As for this being evolutionary, no it's not. It's not a biological phenomenon. It's a cultural phenomenon. I'm going to quote from the book Sex at Dawn, which I highly recommend that everyone read:

Readers familiar with the recent literature on human sexuality will be familiar with what we call the standard narrative of human sexual evolution (hereafter shortened to “the standard narrative”). It goes something like this:

1. Boy meets girl.

2. Boy and girl assess one another’s mate value from perspectives based upon their differing reproductive agendas/capacities:

a) He looks for signs of youth, fertility, health, absence of previous sexual experience, and likelihood of future sexual fidelity. In other words, his assessment is skewed toward finding a fertile, healthy young mate with many childbearing years ahead and no current children to drain his resources.

b) She looks for signs of wealth (or at least prospects of future wealth), social status, physical health, and likelihood that he will stick around to protect and provide for their children. Her guy must be willing and able to provide materially for her (especially during pregnancy and breastfeeding) and their children (known as male parental investment).

3. Boy gets girl: assuming they meet one another’s criteria, they “mate,” forming a long-term pair bond—the “fundamental condition of the human species,” as famed author Desmond Morris put it. Once the pair bond is formed:

a) She will be sensitive to indications that he is considering leaving (vigilant toward signs of infidelity involving intimacy with other women that would threaten her access to his resources and protection)—while keeping an eye out (around ovulation, especially) for a quick fling with a man genetically superior to her husband.

b) He will be sensitive to signs of her sexual infidelities (which would reduce his all-important paternity certainty)—while taking advantage of short-term sexual opportunities with other women (as his sperm are easily produced and plentiful).

Researchers claim to have confirmed these basic patterns in studies conducted around the world over several decades. Their results seem to support the standard narrative of human sexual evolution, which appears to make a lot of sense. But they don’t, and it doesn’t.

While we don’t dispute that these patterns play out in many parts of the modern world, we don’t see them as elements of human nature so much as adaptations to social conditions—many of which were introduced with the advent of agriculture no more than ten thousand years ago. These behaviors and predilections are not biologically programmed traits of our species; they are evidence of the human brain’s flexibility and the creative potential of community.

To take just one example, we argue that women’s seemingly consistent preference for men with access to wealth is not a result of innate evolutionary programming, as the standard model asserts, but simply a behavioral adaptation to a world in which men control a disproportionate share of the world’s resources. As we’ll explore in detail, before the advent of agriculture a hundred centuries ago, women typically had as much access to food, protection, and social support as did men. We’ll see that upheavals in human societies resulting from the shift to settled living in agricultural communities brought radical changes to women’s ability to survive. Suddenly, women lived in a world where they had to barter their reproductive capacity for access to the resources and protection they needed to survive. But these conditions are very different from those in which our species had been evolving previously.

It’s important to keep in mind that when viewed against the full scale of our species’ existence, ten thousand years is but a brief moment. Even if we ignore the roughly two million years since the emergence of our Homo lineage, in which our direct ancestors lived in small foraging social groups, anatomically modern humans are estimated to have existed for about 200,000 years. With the earliest evidence of agriculture dating to about 8000 BCE, the amount of time our species has spent living in settled agricultural societies represents just 5 percent of our collective experience, at most. As recently as a few hundred years ago, most of the planet was still occupied by foragers.

So in order to trace the deepest roots of human sexuality, it’s vital to look beneath the thin crust of relatively recent human history. Until agriculture, human beings evolved in societies organized around an insistence on sharing just about everything. But all this sharing doesn’t make anyone a noble savage. These pre-agricultural societies were no nobler than you are when you pay your taxes or insurance premiums. Universal, culturally imposed sharing was simply the most effective way for our highly social species to minimize risk. Sharing and self-interest, as we shall see, are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, what many anthropologists call fierce egalitarianism was the predominant pattern of social organization around the world for many millennia before the advent of agriculture.

source: Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality - by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

I also think there is a difference between Islamic stype Burka oppression and Western cultural "oppression on women to look great". One has the autonomy of systematically defining values which can change over time. The other is a pretty static interpretation bounded by blind faith and fear.

I agree with that. Hence what I said in my earlier post:

This is one of the main reasons many women get sick of playing the game and turn to Islam, or to a more extreme version of Islam. But those women are playing the same game of patriarchy.

Islam and other Abrahamic religions, are not distinct from "Western" ideas as much as politicians and pundits bray about. They're part of the same patriarchal system - just have adopted different elements of it. But it's the same story in each ideology. I agree that since religions are more stuck in time, they hold less promise for any kind of positive, egalitarian change.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #14 - June 30, 2011, 05:01 PM

I think you've outlined something that is obvious, we need a culture change. And I think you've outlined how to start that change, by encouraging kids to value and accept all aspects of themselves and others.

But I do believe that the media plays a big role in shaping our consciousness. We mainly think in images in this age, and the images that are bombarding us are men and women who have personal trainers, professional make-up artists and camera tricks, and then the form an archetype of beauty in our culture's consciousness IMO.

The common response I've read to how the media shapes our standards of beauty, and the issue chronic low self-esteem in our society is the same, cultivating self-acceptance in ourselves and our kids, and valuing our whole being rather than appearances, and status.

Nathaniel Branden is a called the Godfather of self esteem and he has some very practical advice on how to raise self-esteem.

Not to mention surgical procedures.

Megan fox
    Leona lewis
    Rhianna
    Beyonce
    Alicia Keys
    Demi Moore  <<< classic example of how an over 30yr old can get and keep a younger guy with 100,000 dollars worth of surgery and enhancements, because as society continues to tell me, a female over 30 is affectively no longer attractive to the opposite sex except as the older woman fetish.  Yay me.

Most of the women paraded around infront of me on TV, have had some op or another, some tweak or another, and this is who I must (well not must but do) judge myself off of.

I think my biggest goal now is to make sure I nurture self acceptance in my daughter and my boys, so I will look up your recommendation.   Afro

Reply #15 - June 30, 2011, 05:18 PM

To be honest, i couldnt agree more berbs even though im guilty of that. I couldnt agree with your more.

Why apologise to me Naija, I have been guilty of it too.  I have posted my ass in the ass thread but I won't anymore.  Infact I won't ever post a pic of me on this forum again, nor feel I have to somehow prove I got it and send any pic to anyone.

I just don't want to play this stupid game anymore. 

The whole point of loving the internet was the discovery that people  generally had to learn to respect me for my personality and my mind.  This other element, in which I must be sexual still in order to get more responses, yeah I am a bit sick of it.

It can get you the wrong sort of attention for one, and false attention which doesn't translate to real world respect. 

Reply #16 - June 30, 2011, 05:24 PM

Why apologise to me Naija, I have been guilty of it too.  I have posted my ass in the ass thread but I won't anymore.  Infact I won't ever post a pic of me on this forum again, nor feel I have to somehow prove I got it and send any pic to anyone.

I just don't want to play this stupid game anymore. 

The whole point of loving the internet was the discovery that people  generally had to learn to respect me for my personality and my mind.  This other element, in which I must be sexual still in order to get more responses, yeah I am a bit sick of it.

It can get you the wrong sort of attention for one, and false attention which doesn't translate to real world respect. 

+10000000000000

Ditto.

End of discussion.
     Reply #17 - June 30, 2011, 05:26 PM

Ah, BDD. Good friend of mine. Can't remember the last time I went outside without my hood up. It can get annoying in the summer. Although these days I tend to feel I don't have BDD and I'm just as ugly as I think I am. Who knows. Who cares, even. I've gotten used to my diffidence, doesn't realy bother me. Then again, it wouldn't, sitting in my room all day...
     Reply #18 - June 30, 2011, 05:30 PM

I'm sure you're all incredibly beautiful inside and out and a huge part of me wishes I had something far less cheesy and just as truthful to say.  far away hug

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #19 - June 30, 2011, 05:42 PM

And I wish compliments meant something to me and I could thank you for your genuine sympathy. Tongue Well, I can do the latter anyway, so, um, thanks. far away hug
     Reply #20 - June 30, 2011, 05:46 PM

And I wish compliments meant something to me and I could thank you for your genuine sympathy. Tongue Well, I can do the latter anyway, so, um, thanks. far away hug

^ Oh so vain. vomit

Cheesy

EDIT: edited 001_tongue
     Reply #21 - June 30, 2011, 05:56 PM

Manifesting your inner beauty, loving yourself, feeling comfortable in your own skin and confident when out in the world, means you can give your undivided attention when interacting with others without the distraction of insecurity. And it's trivially obvious that this will be better appreciated by others. True beauty is free from self-affliction. It is sincere, open, untroubled, unthought, unforced, effortless. It just so happens that some people have a natural head start being born with an appealing form. We are natural beasts and need to accept that, and move on. Physical beauty is beautiful and deserves to be, as much as any other form of beauty and appreciation. It is only an enviable thing if we become obsessed with only physical beauty, at the cost of other myriad expressions of beauty to be found in this universe vying for our attention and potentially being neglected.

I couldn't agree more, it becomes problematic when it becomes the be all and end all of a person's worth.  The independent piece I posted above shows that this be all and end all even translates to how much pay a person recieves on average.  I mean why?

Of course beauty is to be appreciated, but inner beauty seems to be so secondary to outer beauty. 

Both extreme cosmetic surgery and veiling are symptoms of extreme insecurity, individually and also a measure of an insecure society. But they are both very differently expressions of it and received very differently for a reason. Being beautiful or confident doesn't put you anywhere near either of those extreme quagmires of self-affliction. Not even in the middle. Not even operating on the same scale. They are both parasitic ideas on a purer, natural bearing.

Minor cosmetic corrections can alleviate individual insecurity. And these little tweaks can go unnoticed in society. A good nose job wouldn't be noticeable unless you'd known the person previous to the operation. But it can make the person much more comfortable in themselves and in personal relationships, to the point where even they forget about it, whereas they might before have been held back feeling ugly. Paranoia is a destroyer.

I have already succumbed to this pressure to have surgery once, it did not stop the paranoia.  But then BDD means that you fix one thing, you find another.  I have a huge list.  If I had the money I would go in as me and come out hopefully as somebody else, anybody but me.

I just don't think its the way to go, even if I have gone and will go there again.

The extreme shame I feel about myself, at this level, seems no different than:

The extreme shame the veil tells me I am and tells me I ned to cover up.

It seems the two support each other and help some women escape.

You may only see the religious brutality and representation to the veil, but they don't, and when I wore it I would have felt offended that my choice of clothes made you believe I was trying to laud religion in your face, when really I was just trying to hide mine.

I don't get that whole reaction when I see veiled women, I guess because I know there is so much more going in there than just religion.  There are so many reasons women choose to cover up, of course the symbol itself is one of religion, but the sentiment for the wearer doesn't mean the same thing always, and honestly, this huge rise in beauty as the only real means to an end means they are compatible with each other.

Which really ties in with allat's argument about the patriachal aspect to both I guess. 

I am honestly not offering the veil as a solution, far from it, but then I am not in support of giving in.............even though I do....but I am working on that.

Reply #22 - June 30, 2011, 05:59 PM

^ Oh so vain. vomit

Cheesy

I'm guessing wrong thread?   whistling2

Reply #23 - June 30, 2011, 06:02 PM

OMFG how did that happen? Shocked

Cheesy

Not wrong thread, wrong quote! Cheesy
     Reply #24 - June 30, 2011, 06:06 PM

^ Oh so vain. vomit

Your powers of inference never fail to impress me.
     Reply #25 - June 30, 2011, 06:12 PM

Why thank you Prince. Roll Eyes

And you never fail to impress me with your delusive nature.  whistling2
     Reply #26 - June 30, 2011, 06:28 PM

+10000000000000

Ditto.

End of discussion.

If only lol the discussion is just beginning, for me anyway.  Tongue

Ah, BDD. Good friend of mine. Can't remember the last time I went outside without my hood up. It can get annoying in the summer. Although these days I tend to feel I don't have BDD and I'm just as ugly as I think I am. Who knows. Who cares, even. I've gotten used to my diffidence, doesn't realy bother me. Then again, it wouldn't, sitting in my room all day...

Lol I still think I am as ugly as I think I am, but I believe having BDD doesn't mean you are not ugly, just that you can see what is ugly about you, and obssess over it. 

I'm sure you're all incredibly beautiful inside and out and a huge part of me wishes I had something far less cheesy and just as truthful to say.  far away hug

+ 1 Tongue

I see what I see and that is that.  At times its not so bad and at others it is all consuming.

I have triggers also that excaberate it, things like rejection, music videos (which don't get watched in this house, I fucking loathe MTV), even porn << I mean thanks to porn I have issues with whether I am right down there or not, something I wouldn't have had much chance to compare without porn.

Anal bleaching anyone?  would anal bleaching even work on a brown girl, or would she just have a white bullseye for an anus? 

Reply #27 - June 30, 2011, 06:38 PM

Every thread on CEMB still manages to diverge into a discussion about anuses, I see. Grin The more things change the more they stay the same...
     Reply #28 - June 30, 2011, 06:45 PM

I won't tackle HO's arguments as I feel allat has done a good job, however I do want to ask how do we determine what a woman is, in order to determine what she likes/will do/will behave as?

If the criteria for being a woman is that she has a vagina, breasts (whatever size) and basically the physical aspects of a woman, then really that should be all it takes to be considered a woman.  Her behaviour in that form is womanly since she is a woman.

Or is a woman defined already by a set of expected behaviours?  ie feminine traits are what make a woman, not a vagina and XX chromosomes, those are just extras.

I think it is that a woman these days is defined by a set of characteristics she is told she must have to be feminine.  Pink, romantic, softly spoken, long hair, shorter than a man, not as muscular as a man, not as aggressive as a man etc etc.

If she shows signs of going against this, and behaves outside of these expected gender boundariesm she is considered to have 'masculine traits'..............but she is a woman, behaving how best fits her personality, she has XX chromosomes, how is her traits masculine?

Isn't this just part of the continued gender boundaries defined by social expectations?

Are men really from mars and women really from venus, and if a venutian acts too martian is she no longer a venutian?  I don;t think so.

The same for men, if a man is emotional, we do not say he is in touch with his emotions, we say he is in touch with his feminine side, and yet did he just lose the Y and become some kind of XYX hybrid?  hell no, he just showed emotion, something society tells us men shouldn't show.

So when you come on here HO, and say that women are evolutionarily inclined to want to beautify themselves, you are continuing this men are one way women are another myth like allat said.

If women were naturally drawn to this, why is it seen in heterosexual females and not lesbians as much?  http://www.sirc.org/publik/mirror.html

Unless you are suggesting that lesbians are not women? 

Reply #29 - June 30, 2011, 07:00 PM

Or is a woman defined already by a set of expected behaviours?  ie feminine traits are what make a woman, not a vagina and XX chromosomes, those are just extras.

Those two things are the only scientific, objective, and consistent criteria for defining a woman, and thus all the other definitions are bullshit.

As for the rest of the thread-- beats the fuck outta me.

"In battle, the well-honed spork is more dangerous than the mightiest sword" -- Sun Tzu
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »