Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Game of Thrones

(Read 110834 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 16 17 1819 20 ... 25 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #510 - April 27, 2014, 01:16 PM

But still... an atheist calling someone an 'infidel' and burning him for being an unbeliever is a bit excessive.

Hmmm... When they introduced Stannis, did they make it clear that he didn't believe in gods? My memories of the second and third seasons are fuzzy (I'd stopped caring) but I was under the impression that they cut right to "R'hllor is the only true god and infidels will burn"

In the book, though, he said clearly to Davos that he stopped believing in any kind of gods when his parents died, but that Melisandre clearly has powers, and since everything else failed, he'll stick with her and her faith. And throughout the rest of series he always seems pretty skeptical to the religious aspect of things.

I guess making Stannis a religious nutcase was easier and makes more sense for the show. I'm still a total hater, though Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #511 - April 27, 2014, 06:22 PM

I was rewatching Game of Thrones recently, and I was struck by how much Drogo reminded me of Muhammad. Leading a band of nomad raiders, strong, charismatic, good with words, smashing idols, killing men, raping and enslaving women. This is one of the scenes that really made me think of Mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6u0HWodsw

I just see it in him. His marriage to Daenerys, the self centeredness, he just really strikes me as someone who could gain power and be viewed as a prophet in a very Mo like way.

Daenerys on the other hand interests me in another way. She's pretty much what modern muslims want Mo to be. A defining sense of honour, loving followers, a freer of slaves, giving women rights they didn't have before (stop raping, take them as wives)...it was quite striking to me. Anyone else get this?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #512 - April 27, 2014, 06:35 PM

I'm not a complete Stannis fan, but I appreciate the fact that he is morally complex as with many characters in the books and I feel like the show would actually better off if it left it as that. Instead they feel the need to portray characters on either spectrum switching between black and white and never really being grey.

I suspect this will happen with Tyrion, going from a Saint, to a dark path.

As for who I support, here is my priorities/wishes as per the end of book 5 in order:

Starks, Kings (or Queen Sansa) in the North>>Stannis, King of Westeros>>Asha/Yara, Queen of the Iron Islands>>Everything else
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #513 - April 27, 2014, 09:40 PM

Anyone else get this?

No, but that is an extremely apt description. Both parts, in fact.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #514 - April 28, 2014, 09:12 AM

I'm not a complete Stannis fan, but I appreciate the fact that he is morally complex as with many characters in the books and I feel like the show would actually better off if it left it as that. Instead they feel the need to portray characters on either spectrum switching between black and white and never really being grey.

I quite agree, but this show doesn't seem big on "grey" characters at all. And let's be frank, you can't make it too complicated or people will lose interest Wink

As for who I support, here is my priorities/wishes as per the end of book 5 in order:

Starks, Kings (or Queen Sansa) in the North>>Stannis, King of Westeros>>Asha/Yara, Queen of the Iron Islands>>Everything else

Cool.

At this point I'm rooting for Aegon even though I'm pretty certain he's a fake Targaryen. But I'd rather have him on the throne than friggin' Daenerys. Sansa and Davos are still my favourite characters, though. 

Surely life is too brief
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #515 - April 28, 2014, 03:25 PM

Naerys, what did you think of the episode on Sunday?

For once, book readers got spoiled with the implications of the last scene:

Apparently, HBO accidentally spoiled the fact that the Other who turned the baby was the Night's King. They changed the synopsis now but this is what it was before.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #516 - April 28, 2014, 03:53 PM

I will watch it tonight, but I already know about that bullshit they pulled. I am beyond pissed off. This will probably be the last season of the show that I watch until Dream of Spring is released (in 2018, hopefully)

Surely life is too brief
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #517 - April 28, 2014, 03:56 PM

I have a feeling that TWOW will be release on 2015 for the premier of the 5th season. I hope I'm right otherwise I'll stop watching the show as well. I don't want to be spoiled by the show any further. It's hilarious now, I'll have to worry about being spoiled by show watchers. Oh the karma!
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #518 - April 28, 2014, 04:02 PM

Yeah, apparently GRRM has made a lot of progress in writing it so I think it's safe to assume that you are right. Which won't be too soon considering that ADWD was released in 2011.

Knowing the assholes that run the show, though, they'll manage to spoil the seventh book next season  Roll Eyes

Surely life is too brief
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #519 - April 28, 2014, 04:39 PM

I forgot about this:
    Gilly was crying. "Me and the babe. Please. I'll be your wife, like I was Craster's. Please, ser crow. He's a boy, just like Nella said he'd be. If you don't take him, they will."
    "They?" said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, "They. They. They."
    "The boy's brothers," said the old woman to the left. "Craster's sons.
    The white cold's rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don't lie. They'll be here soon, the sons."

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #520 - April 28, 2014, 04:47 PM

Knowing the assholes that run the show, though, they'll manage to spoil the seventh book next season  Roll Eyes

They have a huge hard-on for Dany so I imagine fAegon will get poor treatment. 

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #521 - May 09, 2014, 01:54 AM

George R.R. Martin on ‘Game of Thrones’ and Sexual Violence

The fantasy series “Game of Thrones” has set off a wide-ranging debate about rape, and whether this popular franchise — which includes  best-selling novels, a hit HBO television adaptation, a line of comic books and more — trivializes sexual violence with its frequent and often graphic depictions.

George R. R. Martin, whose “Song of Ice and Fire” novels are the foundation of the “Game of Thrones” series, answered email questions from The New York Times about why his books contain scenes of sexual brutality, and responded to some of the criticism that these moments have elicited. These are his responses in their entirety.

Q.

Why have you included incidents of rape or sexual violence in your “Song of Ice and Fire” novels? What larger themes are you trying to bring out with these scenes?

A.

An artist has an obligation to tell the truth. My novels are epic fantasy, but they are inspired by and grounded in history. Rape and sexual violence have been a part of every war ever fought, from the ancient Sumerians to our present day. To omit them from a narrative centered on war and power would have been fundamentally false and dishonest, and would have undermined one of the themes of the books: that the true horrors of human history derive not from orcs and Dark Lords, but from ourselves. We are the monsters. (And the heroes too). Each of us has within himself the capacity for great good, and great evil.

Q.

Some critics of the books have said that even if such scenes are meant to illustrate that the world of Westeros is often a dark and depraved place, there is an overreliance on these moments over the course of the novels, and at a certain point they are no longer shocking and become titillating. How do you respond to this criticism?

A.

I have to take issue with the notion that Westeros is a “dark and depraved place.” It’s not the Disneyland Middle Ages, no, and that was quite deliberate … but it is no darker nor more depraved than our own world. History is written in blood. The atrocities in “A Song of Ice and Fire,” sexual and otherwise, pale in comparison to what can be found in any good history book.

As for the criticism that some of the scenes of sexual violence are titillating, to me that says more about these critics than about my books. Maybe they found certain scenes titillating. Most of my readers, I suspect, read them as intended.

I will say that my philosophy as a writer, since the very start of my career, has been one of “show, don’t tell.” Whatever might be happening in my books, I try to put the reader into the middle of it, rather than summarizing the action. That requires vivid sensory detail. I don’t want distance, I want to put you there. When the scene in question is a sex scene, some readers find that intensely uncomfortable… and that’s ten times as true for scenes of sexual violence.

But that is as it should be. Certain scenes are meant to be uncomfortable, disturbing, hard to read.

Q.

As your novels have been adapted for TV, comic books and other visual media, do you think these scenes of sexual violence that you described in oblique and indirect ways are becoming more explicit and more shocking? Is that a potential problem?

A.

The graphic novels and television programs are in the hands of others, who make their own artistic choices as to what sort of approach will work best in their respective mediums.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #522 - June 02, 2014, 08:19 AM

I haven't posted on this thread before, but after last episode I feel the need to express how disturbed I am by how that last scene went, which says something about how well-made it was. I need some air.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #523 - June 02, 2014, 08:29 AM

What scene?

I haven't watched the episode yet but I don't care about spoilers, just tag them properly.

Surely life is too brief
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #524 - June 02, 2014, 08:35 AM

An artist has an obligation to tell the truth. My novels are epic fantasy, but they are inspired by and grounded in history. Rape and sexual violence have been a part of every war ever fought, from the ancient Sumerians to our present day. To omit them from a narrative centered on war and power would have been fundamentally false and dishonest, and would have undermined one of the themes of the books: that the true horrors of human history derive not from orcs and Dark Lords, but from ourselves. We are the monsters. (And the heroes too). Each of us has within himself the capacity for great good, and great evil

I think that's the only thought getting me through a reread of all the books.

Who I was when I first read them was barely fazed by the rape and violence in the books, who I am now pauses as I reread to think why was it necessary to portray that in that way.  Which is when I think obviously its all about making it seem more historical and realistic.

It just bums me out that realism equates to rape so often.

Even some scenes that could have had that aspect absent, for instance

when Asha is having sex with her long time sex partner, and its a sex scene that goes no no no no.....ok yes yes yes

Which is just basically continuing that whole real world belief that women saying no, is really women saying yes.

I guess however it would be a bit like the matrix, as in giving humanity utopian books would not sell, as humanity needs barbarism, misery and brutality.

But yea, I can see sense in the arguments against all the rape and sexual violence scenes.  I support the arguments too, I just think they are part of what makes the books and the series sell. 

================

I read the books awhile ago, and with my memory, it wasn't quickly apparent to me, how many differences there were between the show and the books, but rereading them now, I'm shocked at how often unnecessary changes are introduced....and shocked I forgot so much of the books.  Grin

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #525 - June 02, 2014, 08:37 AM

What scene?

I haven't watched the episode yet but I don't care about spoilers, just tag them properly.

High five....I also don't care about spoilers.  Never understand why my facebook buddies get so upset when my status spoils a show for them.  Grin

Anyway the latest episode has just downloaded....so I am off to watch this scene.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #526 - June 02, 2014, 08:55 AM

Knowing what's going to happen takes out much of the thrill. In a show like Game of Thrones where anything could happen to anyone, a huge part of the experience is not knowing. Plus, I don't know how to spoiler tag. Cheesy
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #527 - June 02, 2014, 09:43 AM

Just click that and type between the code tags that appear.   Afro

So I just watched the episode, I saw the scene.  Was very well done.

But so gross to watch.  I mean you know its going to happen, you are waiting for it as he is shouting down demanding the mountain confess, and then bam, next thing you know Oberyn is dying.

On the other hand

What on earth is up with Sansa's new dress style?  the Alayna persona in the books is more ordinary, not really showing a new evil queen sort of look, and she is his daughter, not his niece in their act together.

Why did they change this?  just seems so unnecessary

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #528 - June 02, 2014, 09:46 AM

I should rewrite the css for that. It never gets used for code on this site, only for spoilers, and tis a bit fuckered for spoilers.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #529 - June 02, 2014, 12:20 PM

The sound when his head popped. Kudos to the Sound editing team. It was gross, but satisfying.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #530 - June 02, 2014, 04:10 PM

I liked him, I'm sad he's dead :(

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #531 - June 02, 2014, 05:48 PM

I don't know how they did it, man. He hasn’t been around long enough for a significant emotional investment, even though I did like him, but this is Game of Thrones, and his death wasn't unexpected. So, it wasn't unexpected, and I didn't like him THAT much, and even though his death was brutal, I'm not sure it would qualify as the most brutal death on the show. How is it that despite all that it still caused such an emotional trauma to me and apparently a large portion of the fanbase? I suppose the credit goes to how brilliantly executed the scene was. In the last few minutes, I could really feel his emotions and the thoughts going through his head, and he briefly became a real person in my mind. It was painful, but ingenious.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #532 - June 02, 2014, 06:05 PM

Maybe because he was a somewhat likable person (I think the actor did a great job here), and we really sympathized with him and his quest for revenge. And we all (?) hate the Mountain. His death was "unfair", and very brutal.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #533 - June 04, 2014, 09:17 AM

I shed a tiny tear when Roose Bolton named his bastard Ramsay a Bolton. A proper father-son bonding scene.

And

Loved the scene where Oberyn's head got smashed into tiny pieces. No matter how powerful or proud you are (the Dornish like to style themselves as princes/princesses instead of lords/ladies), you're still liable to death. The show really did do that scene some justice!

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #534 - June 08, 2014, 06:56 AM

Can't wait 'till today's episode!

One found Dragonstone and a King who still cared.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #535 - June 09, 2014, 02:46 PM

Great episode, loved the scythe. Thought it was very anti-climatic, just wished they extended 10-15 minutes and included THAT moment.

The finale is going to be so packed, I don't see how they're going to fit so many plotlines.

SPOILER!

-Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!, Offering Jon Winterfell
    -Arya getting on a boat to Braavos
    -Bran and the Children
    -Tyrion's ecape, Tywin's Death
    -Danaerys chaining the dragons
    -Lady Stoneheart

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #536 - June 09, 2014, 07:29 PM

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

This masterpiece was epic on all scales of epicness.

The Wall will never be the same ever again.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #537 - June 09, 2014, 07:51 PM

It's not finished yet!  Afro
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #538 - June 09, 2014, 07:58 PM

Bit of a mediocre episode this week. Hope they go back to the Imp next week.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #539 - June 14, 2014, 04:05 PM

It's not finished yet!  Afro

I know. Finally we got a long drawn out, though awesome, fight scene. here giants, mammoths and cannibals - oh my!!! Due to buget constraints the fight scenes were never developed but only referred to in hindsight, but this time there was no holding back.

I remember seeing the sillhouette of a dragon flying over a certain city in the season 4 teaser trailer. Please let there be dragons. Unleash the dragons!

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Previous page 1 ... 16 17 1819 20 ... 25 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »