Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Which one (if any) are you more inclined to side with? (Give reasons)
  • Israel - 50 (30.5%)
  • Palestine - 114 (69.5%)
  • Total Voters: 163

Topic: Pro Israel or Pro Palestine?

(Read 202491 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 28 29 3031 32 ... 38 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pro Israel or Pro Palestine?
     Reply #870 - May 22, 2015, 09:45 PM

Palestine wins.
     Reply #871 - May 22, 2015, 09:51 PM

Bus bans? Just when I though Israeli could not get any lower they prove me wrong.
     Reply #872 - May 22, 2015, 10:09 PM

Israel.
    I support Israel. Just what do you think happened in Palestine 60 years ago? When the Jews arrived from Europe, they found a wasteland and the Palestinians were the only Arabs that lived like nomads.

It was the Jews that only wanted a peaceful life after the holocaust that were greeted with hate, attacks and murders. In spite of it all, they turned Israel into a prosperous, useful and beautiful country. The Jews were mild mannered people, submissive and only wanted peace and freedom after the nightmare they faced during the holocaust. It was the Arabs that turned them into an aggressive, you can't walk all over me again people, out of survival...plus the islamic country of Pakistan was made in the same manner Israel was...why aren't muslims protesting against that??? wait sorry i forgot Israel is filled with Jews and the Prophet Mo hated Jews!

Sometimes a girl has to be like the snow, beautiful, but cold...
     Reply #873 - May 22, 2015, 10:42 PM

Yes it was just a wasteland and the Jews only wanted peace.

I hate it when Arabs are so mean & nasty.
     Reply #874 - May 22, 2015, 11:02 PM

yeah arabs conquered all of the present day islamic countries by force

Sometimes a girl has to be like the snow, beautiful, but cold...
     Reply #875 - May 22, 2015, 11:04 PM

...Well...in that case, how do you feel about the United States? Grin
     Reply #876 - May 22, 2015, 11:12 PM

Israel.
    I support Israel. Just what do you think happened in Palestine 60 years ago? When the Jews arrived from Europe, they found a wasteland and the Palestinians were the only Arabs that lived like nomads.

It was the Jews that only wanted a peaceful life after the holocaust that were greeted with hate, attacks and murders. In spite of it all, they turned Israel into a prosperous, useful and beautiful country. The Jews were mild mannered people, submissive and only wanted peace and freedom after the nightmare they faced during the holocaust. It was the Arabs that turned them into an aggressive, you can't walk all over me again people, out of survival...plus the islamic country of Pakistan was made in the same manner Israel was...why aren't muslims protesting against that??? wait sorry i forgot Israel is filled with Jews and the Prophet Mo hated Jews!

That's not.....that's not actually true....any amazing construction that has actually happened by the Jewish people there hasn't been because of any miracle, it's because American Christians are bankrolling them because they want all the Jews to go there so Jesus can come and kill them all, because for some reason they have to all be together or God can't figure out who is Jewish and who isn't. It's kinda like reverse Haiti in that respect, Haiti isn't poor because black people are inherently inferior, they're poor because once the slaves revolted and took over, the Europeans got mad and decided to basically economically blockade them, not allowing any trade, which since the Europeans owned pretty much all trade in the western hemisphere, meant that the Haitians were unable to trade with anyone; and since all the balance of the natural ecosystem there had been bulldozed to make more economically viable non-food plantations (but now those weren't economically viable because of the trade embargo), that meant that they were desperately poor and had no food.

As for Jews being naturally peaceful and mild-mannered, where the hell did you get that cockamamie idea? Any mild-mannerism were the result of being economically disadvantaged. But it's not like Jewish texts are ACTUALLY like "obey the kings, because God put them here, and so you need to do what they say." Sure, there are passages like that. But they were written while under mostly benevolent foreign kings. Whenever Jews had some level of autonomy and weren't being watched closely by foreign powers--or when they were in a position that no matter what they said, they felt they were going to get killed, the texts they produced were incredibly racist. There is one incredibly good example of being nice to the foreign powers for as long as they're looking and hating them when they're not from Berachot 58a, and I will post the full text here so you don't have to look it up, because it's hard to find proper translations.

R. Shila administered lashes to a man who had intercourse with a gentile woman.  The man went and informed on him to the government.  He said: There is a Jewish man who holds court without royal appointment.  The king sent an orderly to him [summoning him to appear].  When he came, they said to him: Why did you flog that man?  [R. Shila] answered: Because he had relations with a donkey.  They said to him: Do you have witnesses?  He replied: Yes.  Elijah came in the form of a man and testified.  They said to him: If so, he is liable for death.  [R. Shila] said: From the day we have been exiled from our land, we do not have permission to put someone to death.  You can do whatever you want with him.

While they were analyzing his case, R. Shila began: (1 Chronicles 29:11) "Yours, Lord, is the greatness, the strength, the splendor,..."  They said to him: What are you saying?  He replied: This is what I am saying: Blessed is G-d who has given an earthly kingship similar to the heavenly Kingship and has given you dominion and made you merciful in judgement.  They said to him: The honor of the government is so dear to you?  They gave him a strap and appointed him as a judge.

When [R. Shila] left, the man [who was punished] said to him: Does G-d perform miracles for lies?  He replied in this way: Wicked one, are they not called donkeys, as it says (Ezekiel 23:20) "whose flesh is the flesh of donkeys"?  He saw that this man was going to inform on him [to the government] that he had called them donkeys.  He said: This man is a pursuer and the Torah says that if someone comes to kill you, rise early and kill him first.  He hit him with the strap and killed him."

The verse R. Shila was quoting had nothing to do with blessing a non-Jewish king; it was a quote from David, and what he probably meant by quoting it, in this context, that God's blessing is for Israel, not any other nation. In the context in which it originally appears, it is part of a two-way blessing, David is blessing God, and God is blessing David and promising his descendants eternal kingship. He deliberately misrepresented what he said when the king asked.

The other important part of this story is that it establishes that the penalty for telling non-Jews that, under Jewish law, they are donkeys, is instant death. No trial, instant death. Anyone who sees, or even thinks, that what you're going to do will make non-Jews hate Jews, even if what you're saying is true/a direct quote, can kill you. This is the basic foundational principle of most acts committed by the followers of Meir Kahane in modern times. So I don't understand where you got the idea that Jews are more peaceful than other peoples.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #877 - May 22, 2015, 11:24 PM

I'm not taking sides. I have heard both sides of the conflict commit terrible atrocities towards each other.  I would like to see both sides living together peacefully, but I doubt this is going to happen.

If I was a Palestinian, I would leave and build a life elsewhere. Life is too short for this.

Reply #878 - May 24, 2015, 07:28 PM

I'm not taking sides. I have heard both sides of the conflict commit terrible atrocities towards each other. I would like to see both sides living together peacefully, but I doubt this is going to happen.

what are your suggestions/proposals for two sides to live peacefully someone1991?

would you go for two state solution? If you go for that how would you divide that little land someone1991 ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37mOrATLnc

hmmm..................Tzipi Hotovely .....Tzipi Hotovely.
    .Hotovely is from a Georgian Jewish family. Her parents immigrated from Georgia, then part of the former Soviet Union, to Israel. Her political career has been described as 'sparking pride' in Israel's Georgian community.[4] She was born and grew up in Rehovot and graduated from the 'Bnei Akiva' ulpanit (a national-religious high school for girls) in Tel Aviv. She subsequently served two years of national service as a tour guide in Beit HaRav Kook museum in Jerusalem, and as a Jewish Agency representative in Atlanta.

great...great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3zdqqNtCCs

If I was a Palestinian, I would leave and build a life elsewhere. Life is too short for this.

Build life elsewhere... where? where to go someone1991 ??

State of Palestine   4,420,549

– West Bank   2,719,112
     – Gaza Strip   1,701,437

Jordan   3,240,000
    Israel   1,658,000
     Syria   630,000
     Chile   500,000
     Lebanon   402,582
     Saudi Arabia   280,245
     Egypt   270,245
    United States   255,000
    Honduras   250,000
     United Arab Emirates   170,000
     Mexico   120,000
     Qatar   100,000
     Germany   80,000
     Kuwait   80,000
    El Salvador   70,000
    Brazil   59,000
     Iraq   57,000
     Yemen   55,000
     Canada   50,975
     Australia   45,000
     Libya   44,000
     United Kingdom   20,000
     Peru   15,000
     Colombia   12,000
     Pakistan   10,500
     Netherlands   9,000
     Sweden   7,000
     Algeria   4,030

so we have to move those who live in  west bank and  Gaza Strip......

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #879 - May 25, 2015, 12:46 AM

^ Solution: one state where Jews and Arabs live together?

If I was a Palestinian I would move to the UK or Canada. Don't know about what other Palestinians would do.
     Reply #880 - May 25, 2015, 11:45 PM

Why won't Israeli peace groups talk about the Nakba?

http://972mag.com/why-do-peace-groups-refuse-to-talk-about-the-nakba/106951/
     Reply #881 - May 27, 2015, 05:18 AM

^^^That is exactly what Israelis would love to see. Unfortunately, it's happening all too often.
     Reply #882 - June 02, 2015, 11:51 AM

The 'Iranian Schindler' who saved Jews from the Nazis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16190541

The late Abdol-Hossein Sardari (1914-1981) in his later years. Hopefully,  Hope Hollywood will one day consider making a movie of Sardari and his brave humanitarian efforts to save the lives of Jews from Nazism

“The Iranian Schindler”: Abdol-Hossein Sardari’s Fight to Save the Iranian Jews of Occupied France

Beating the Nazis at their own game _ Abdol Hossein Sardari,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQd5KqcQAbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRESHVcFidQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxe9fcyoDiE

Reply #883 - July 03, 2015, 03:39 PM

That is a fact.,   I would argue with that  young queen of Israel think twice before she start talking nonsense without knowing the problems there and without understanding the future of Israel

Reply #884 - July 30, 2015, 10:36 AM

David Graeber - Reflections from a visit to the West Bank

http://internationaltimes.it/hostile-intelligence-reflections-from-a-visit-to-the-west-bank/
     Reply #885 - July 30, 2015, 11:27 AM

Thanks for that link zeca.. I casually read it a bit ..   beautifully worded statements there by David Graeber., I don't know why people say to him as  anarchist activist....  but right wingnuts of Israel better take a note of what he is saying..  
    ................it’s important to underline that the people designing Israeli policy in the West Bank are anything but idiots. Most are clearly extremely intelligent. Large proportions have advanced degrees, and are very well read in the history and sociology of military rule and the science of civil governance. They are well aware of the techniques that have been successfully applied by occupying powers in the past aiming to pacify and coopt a conquered population. It isn’t rocket science. There’s a standard playbook: cooptation, divide and rule, a certain carefully nuanced balance of carrot and stick, the application of certain strategies for the creation of dependencies and mixed allegiances… And it’s not as if those developing Israeli strategy don’t apply these techniques. But they seem determined to offer as small a carrot, and wield as large a stick, as they possibly can without sparking a major conflagration. The old PLO leadership, the political cream of the Palestinian diaspora, had indeed been coopted: it was allowed it’s own small-scale right of return from their former bases in Lebanon or North Africa, and granted special privileges in exchange for agreeing to help police the Arab population.............

By the way that 2011  book Debt: The First 5000 Years is very good book to read .,In fact I say every college student.. SPECIALLY ISRAELI  STUDENTS  must read it

To read it,  please click the picture and download the pdf file  ASAP before it disappears

Reply #886 - July 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

^Yes, it's definitely worth reading.
     Reply #887 - July 30, 2015, 08:33 PM

Noam Sheizaf - Despite its wishes, the EU only deepens the occupation

http://972mag.com/despite-what-it-may-claim-the-eu-only-deepens-the-occupation/108921/
    The EU is one of the sustainers of the status quo. In fact, it has built the PA twice — once after Oslo, and once again after Israel destroyed the civil infrastructure in the occupied territories during the Second Intifada. Since then, Israel has taken on less and less responsibility for the civilian population under its rule (except for in Area C of the West Bank, where creeping annexation has become the norm). The vacuum is filled by aid organizations and NGOs — UN development agencies, EU and USAID projects, etc. Their effect goes beyond the financial cost of maintaining the occupation and bleeds into every aspect of Israel’s responsibility for the millions of Palestinians civilians under its authority.

Israel is willing to let all these organizations work freely, as long as they differentiate between humanitarian/civilian activities and the political aspects of their work. If they stray from their mandate, the state will fiercely attack them, marking members of the organizations as “personas non grata” and make it difficult for them to function.

The various NGOs and aid agencies place many restrictions on the Palestinians they work with — they cannot belong to certain political parties, have no convictions and so on. The result is a “sterile environment” that does not threaten the occupation. The traditional structure of Palestinian society in the West Bank (which led the popular revolt of the First Intifada) is slowly being replaced — in certain places, at least — by a society that relies heavily on NGOs, which serves the interest of the military regime.

In this way, the EU and the United Nations maintain the reality on the ground, and in doing so subvert their stated goal: the establishment of a Palestinian state. Many people in Brussels actually understand this. I once heard Christian Berger, the head of the EU’s Office in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip (and one of the major forces behind the EU’s foreign policy vis-a-vis Israel and the Palestinians), complain about Europe’s role in bankrolling the status quo in the occupied territories. But the mechanism of the European consensus, alongside a deep, fundamental unwillingness to get into a confrontation with Israel (and sometimes with the U.S.) helps maintain this reality.

Reply #888 - July 31, 2015, 05:20 PM

West Bank murder: Leaders fail to address nature of settler violence

http://972mag.com/west-bank-murder-leaders-fail-to-address-nature-of-settler-violence/109485/

Elizabeth Tsurkov - Horrible 24 hours in Israel-Palestine

https://muddleast.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/horrible-24-hours-in-israel-palestine/
     Reply #889 - August 01, 2015, 08:51 PM

Fair comment I think on calls for a cultural boycott...

Etgar Keret: ‘Israelis boycott me as a traitor, and foreigners because I’m Israeli’
    Keret is clearly infuriated with the position he finds himself in as a prominent liberal leftwing Israeli – he regularly writes opinion pieces on the conflict for both the Israeli and the international press – who is increasingly damned both by his nation, and by its international critics. “I find myself being caught between a rock and a very hard place. During last summer’s war I was in Israel, writing against the government, writing against the Gaza war, receiving death threats for me and my wife and my child, and whenever I would travel overseas I would go to places where people would say I’m a baby killer, I have blood on my hands. In Israel people would boycott me saying I’m a traitor, and overseas people would boycott me because I’m Israeli.”

Keret says people tend to equate individual Israelis with their state, without pausing to find out what their views might be. “When people say to me, we wouldn’t want to do an event with you because you are Israeli, I say, ‘you say that as a British person whose nation bombed Iraq, a country you have no border with.’” He has come to the conclusion that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has “symbolic power”, representing something more than the sum of its parts: outsiders find something reassuring in seeing it as a Star Wars scenario with clear-cut goodies and baddies, and resist the idea that the reality might be more complex. “Although I sympathise with the Palestinians’ fight, I can’t say I’m pro-Palestinian. I’m not pro-Hamas, pro-gay persecution, pro-terrorist attack. The moment you [come down unequivocally as pro-Palestinian] you patronise them – it’s like saying they don’t deserve the ambiguity that we extend to other people.”

The ultimate expression of this mistaken attitude, for Keret, is the drive towards an intellectual or cultural boycott of Israel, such as the one signed up to by writers including Kamila Shamsie and Mike Leigh earlier this year. He argues passionately that a boycott plays straight into the hands of the Israeli right wing. “The rightwing narrative constantly says that the outside world all hate us, they don’t want any dialogue with us, because they are all closet antisemites. If you ask any Israeli rightwinger, they are all for an intellectual boycott.” He believes that artists and writers will do most to bring about change by continuing to engage. “I think that, deep inside, the thing that attracts people to boycotts is that they are very easy. It is much more difficult to go and demonstrate every day in front of an embassy, in the rain, when barely any media comes to cover you. It’s much easier to stay at home and avoid dialogue.” While some mildly political remarks from Bono at a concert in Tel Aviv received wide media coverage, Heret says: “When people don’t come to perform in Israel, nobody gives a fuck. If you think that Netanyahu and his religious fundamentalist government are going to end occupation because Elvis Costello doesn’t come to perform then you have to be really naive.”

Reply #890 - August 01, 2015, 09:48 PM

Good stuff, especially this bit:
    the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has “symbolic power”, representing something more than the sum of its parts: outsiders find something reassuring in seeing it as a Star Wars scenario with clear-cut goodies and baddies, and resist the idea that the reality might be more complex. ... The moment you [come down unequivocally as pro-Palestinian] you patronise them – it’s like saying they don’t deserve the ambiguity that we extend to other people.”

And Mike Leigh's a twat.
     Reply #891 - August 02, 2015, 06:13 PM

Photo: "Terrified Israeli policewoman protected by Palestinians while pelted by rocks from settlers"

https://mobile.twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/627875649261191168
     Reply #892 - September 07, 2015, 09:44 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34171159

The attack which killed Saad, Ali and Riham Dawabsha is still being investigated

A Palestinian woman has died of injuries she sustained during an arson attack on her home in the West Bank that killed her husband and infant son.
    Riham Dawabsha suffered severe burns to 90% of her body in the July attack, blamed on Israeli settlers.

Ali, her 18-month-old son, died during the attack while her husband, Saad, succumbed to his injuries a week later. The deaths provoked international condemnation. So far no suspects have been arrested. The Dawabsha family's home was one of two houses in the village of Duma set on fire and daubed with slogans in Hebrew, including the word "revenge".

Another son remains in hospital.

Riham's body is expected to be returned from the Israeli hospital where she was being treated to the Palestinian authorities in the occupied West Bank. Palestinians have accused Jewish settlers of carrying out the attack; Israel has not said whether it holds settlers responsible, and an investigation is ongoing.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called the attack an act of terrorism and has said every effort will be made to catch the culprits After the attack, the Israeli government announced new measures to combat vigilante Jewish groups who attack Palestinians and their property, including administrative detention for extremists.

A number of detentions have been made but none in direct connection with the firebombing in Duma

I changed religions.,  I change my  underwears quite often .. I have changed sides quite often.. I have no good reason not to change again..  well people would like to see the results of such investigations dear Mr.   Benjamin Netanyahu..........

Reply #893 - September 07, 2015, 10:40 AM

I have kept the poll simple and purposely left out certain options to allow the complexity to arise through peoples explanations for their answers.
    Yes I know I am a complete bastard for doing so....oh well  Afro

The question is simple:
    Based on your knowledge of the problematic situation between Israel and Palestine (historically, modern or both) which side are you more willing to side with overall?

The contents of your decision can include weighing up the victimization of people, attacks against the opposing side, propaganda, embargo's etc etc.

Pro-Palestine of course. The reason why I started to doubt Islam (and will most probably leave in the near future) is because I am very passionate about human rights and could never look the other way for long. I could not support a country that practices racial apartheid, home demolitions, subjugation and ethnic cleansing.
     Reply #894 - September 07, 2015, 01:47 PM

I could not support a country that practices racial apartheid, home demolitions, subjugation and ethnic cleansing.

... one that is the only functioning democracy in the Middle East, one where gay people and, heaven forfend, women have more rights than anywhere else in the Middle East. Can't be having that.

(Not pro Israel, not pro Palestine, me.)
     Reply #895 - September 07, 2015, 02:38 PM

Pro-Palestine of course. The reason why I started to doubt Islam (and will most probably leave in the near future) is because I am very passionate about human rights and could never look the other way for long. I could not support a country that practices racial apartheid, home demolitions, subjugation and ethnic cleansing.

And in Palestinian controlled territories there are no such things? Ohh wait, they are persecuting their own people and the most basic human rights are nowhere to be seen.
     Reply #896 - September 07, 2015, 04:21 PM

... one that is the only functioning democracy in the Middle East, one where gay people and, heaven forfend, women have more rights than anywhere else in the Middle East. Can't be having that.

Yes, let's turn a blind eye to the fact that they are bulldozing homes and driving people out of their lands, turning them into refugees. Let's ignore the fact that Israel is continuously building settlements which are contrary to international law on top of The Palestinian homes she has destroyed why? Because Israel is allowing gay pride parades! In a democracy everyone is equal, since Palestinians don't even have the right to be safe in their own homes, Israel is not a democracy.
     Reply #897 - September 07, 2015, 08:42 PM

It goes both ways and will continue to do so. Both sides have massive faults as well as ideals we accept or sympathize with. It is the constant reprisal of X did this, Y did that which keep the conflict going.
     Reply #898 - September 07, 2015, 10:47 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-ruebner/the-only-democracy-in-the_b_833379.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/israel-is-supposedly-the-only-democracy-in-the-middle-east-yet-45-million-palestinians-under-its-control-cant-vote-10113950.html

Israel isn't the only democracy in the middle east. It may be the most democratic, although it may not even be that for long--Tunisia is rapidly gaining on it; when the dust settles in the Levant, there will probably be a representative government; and as Iran normalizes relations with the United States, it will likely become more democratic, because that seems to be something the youth want--although they're unlikely to do anything that would destabilize the military while ISIS is still a threat to them. But it is not a full democracy, it is an ethnocracy. It's a democracy in the sense that America, 1840, was a democracy--a few people (land-owning white men) are able to vote; but no one else was. In that sense, Israel's a democracy. And that is probably "close enough" for most of its Evangelical Christian American supporters, as they are often the same people who want to deny rights to others for things like their skin color. But it's not good enough for me.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #899 - September 08, 2015, 12:17 AM

Yes, let's turn a blind eye to the fact that they are bulldozing homes and driving people out of their lands, turning them into refugees. Let's ignore the fact that Israel is continuously building settlements which are contrary to international law on top of The Palestinian homes she has destroyed why? Because Israel is allowing gay pride parades! In a democracy everyone is equal, since Palestinians don't even have the right to be safe in their own homes, Israel is not a democracy.

I'm not turning a blind eye to anything. But I can't stand the one-eyed polarisation this question seems to provoke.

As the last line of my post suggests, I've not voted in this poll.
  • Previous page 1 ... 28 29 3031 32 ... 38 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »