Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 03:04 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 08:33 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:13 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 16, 2024, 02:05 PM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello from a new ex-muslim in London!

(Read 5699 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello from a new ex-muslim in London!
     OP - March 23, 2011, 08:12 PM

I've been meaning to join this community for the last few months, so I've finally taken the plunge!

The last 12 months have been a rollercoaster ride for me, I went form being a fundamentalist muslim to a self proclaimed atheist. My de conversion from Islam started through Wikipedia of all places. About a year ago (a January morning in 2010), I decided to research the topic of evolution, since my muslim parents/friends/scholars all dismissed it as a lie. As I researched more and more, I found out how every species is categorised beautifully according to their evolutionary history. The articles eloquently demonstrated the evidence for evolution through geographical placements of fossils, The DNA evidence, and above all, evidence of observed speciation in the last 100 years, which made me wonder how my fellow muslims rejected something we could physically observe! this threw the idea of Adam and Eve and creationism out the window for me, and it made me wonder, if Islam was wrong about something so fundamental to its teachings, what else could it have been wrong about? As I went through university in the past few months, I came across 4chan and Digg. The users in both of these websites clearly didn't buy into religion and talked about Dawkins and Hitchens and how religion is a fairytale. I decided to take the plunge and buy a copy of The God Delusion. After reading the book a month ago, I literally had tears in my eyes. A lifetime of praying/reading the Quran/and being educated in the Islamic way was coming to an end. For the first time in my life, I feel truly liberated and I've finally summed up the courage to tell myself "I am an atheist".

I have to thank the modern world for giving me access through information via the internet to teach myself what is reality and what is myth. Having been to Saudi Arabia many times, I can see how being surrounded by like minded indoctrinated individuals without access to an ocean of information that is the uncensored internet makes it almost impossible to break away from a religious upbringing. As my favourite youtube atheist, Thunderf00t, says: "The internet is where religions comes to die". How very true.

I hope to meet other like minded individuals both in London and the UK!
  • Re: Hello from a new ex-muslim in London!
     Reply #1 - March 23, 2011, 08:35 PM

Well written!  How did you find this site and do you know any other muslims in real life?  Have you told any of your friends or family about your apostacy or doubts yet?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - March 23, 2011, 08:36 PM

Hello there. Have a parrot.  parrot
     Reply #3 - March 23, 2011, 08:38 PM

Welcome. 4chan ftw   grin12. Wikipedia and knowledge of evolution also played a big part in my apostasy as well.

Where are you from? Male/female? Age? Have you told your family/friends?
     Reply #4 - March 23, 2011, 08:42 PM

Hey Welcome Saln1 Ozonedance

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #5 - March 23, 2011, 08:58 PM

Welcome to the forum, saln1. victory

"Curiosity killed my faith" -- me  Afro

+1
    Why do so many people join this forum without giving us a rough idea of their age and gender? ..well.. not rough idea of gender.. but you know what I mean. cool2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - March 23, 2011, 08:58 PM

signwelcome
     Reply #7 - March 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

Why do so many people join this forum without giving us a rough idea of their age and gender? ..well.. not rough idea of gender.. but you know what I mean. cool2

Yeah we know what you mean you sick pervert.  Cheesy
     Reply #8 - March 23, 2011, 10:59 PM

Welcome Smiley  parrot

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #9 - March 23, 2011, 11:06 PM

welcome!

Wow you story is so similar to mine. I stumbled on evolution and started reading it because I watched some Dawkins videos online. The rest is history.

Have you been able to tell anyone about your apostasy ? if so how did they take it ?

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #10 - March 24, 2011, 05:10 AM

Welcome Saln1!!!

Why do so many people join this forum without giving us a rough idea of their age and gender?

Because they are not here for a fuck?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #11 - March 24, 2011, 05:35 AM

Welcome!

"Having been to Saudi Arabia many times, I can see how being surrounded by like minded indoctrinated individuals without access to an ocean of information that is the uncensored internet makes it almost impossible to break away from a religious upbringing."
    This is embedded in islam itself which forbids you to take close friends among non-muslims, it urges you to hate the deeds of the non-muslims, it hides you from the rest of the world and every small doubt that, in spite of the big walls around you, does reach you, is shattered by the fear of hell. A totalitarian system at its best! You had the courage to look further, congratulate yourself for that!
     Reply #12 - March 24, 2011, 05:37 AM

Well written!  How did you find this site and do you know any other muslims in real life?  Have you told any of your friends or family about your apostacy or doubts yet?

I use the website reddit regularly, and was referred to this site by some of their members. I grew up around muslims my whole life, so I know quite a lot. I've explained my new beliefs to a few of them (not my family), and needless to say, they didn't take it so well. Long story short, we're not friends anymore  Cry For this reason, I'm taking it slow from now on and keeping my beliefs to myself (at least for the near future).

Welcome. 4chan ftw   grin12. Wikipedia and knowledge of evolution also played a big part in my apostasy as well.

I was born in Pakistan but moved to Europe when I was young. I'm now in my early 20's and I'm now (and always have been) a male, for those of you who keep asking!
     Reply #13 - March 24, 2011, 05:55 AM

Welcome!

"Having been to Saudi Arabia many times, I can see how being surrounded by like minded indoctrinated individuals without access to an ocean of information that is the uncensored internet makes it almost impossible to break away from a religious upbringing."
    This is embedded in islam itself which forbids you to take close friends among non-muslims, it urges you to hate the deeds of the non-muslims, it hides you from the rest of the world and every small doubt that, in spite of the big walls around you, does reach you, is shattered by the fear of hell. A totalitarian system at its best! You had the courage to look further, congratulate yourself for that!

That's exactly how I see it, which is why I feel fortunate to be raised in western Europe, rather than the middle east or Pakistan. In light of Usama Hasan's recent predicament with Muslims in London, I think the same culture of exclusion is becoming embedded in the UK's Islamic community. My Muslim classmates in university here in London held the same beliefs as the majority of Muslims in Leyton mosque. It's an issue that need's to be addressed before it gets out of control.
     Reply #14 - March 24, 2011, 11:22 AM

Welcome saln1. As I read your piece, I had to double check that this wasn't my introduction. Seriously almost word for word lol.
     Reply #15 - March 24, 2011, 01:33 PM

Neither am I.  It's just nice to at least know these aspects of a forum member, to see where they are coming from when they make a point on the forum.  Also, it screws with my mind when I can't picture a forum user in my head.  wacko

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #16 - March 24, 2011, 01:42 PM

Welcome  Smiley
     Reply #17 - March 24, 2011, 03:22 PM

Welcome to the forum.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #18 - March 26, 2011, 10:23 PM

Welcome, stick around Smiley Plenty to learn and enjoy here
     Reply #19 - March 26, 2011, 10:53 PM

Hola

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #20 - March 26, 2011, 11:25 PM

welcome to CEMB Smiley

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
    (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
    A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
     Reply #21 - March 26, 2011, 11:28 PM

Hi && Welcome! Smiley
     signwelcome
     Reply #22 - March 28, 2011, 06:59 AM

Welcome Saln1!!!

Quote from: ateapotist on March 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Why do so many people join this forum without giving us a rough idea of their age and gender?

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - March 28, 2011, 07:40 AM

Hello Smiley Here, a parrot for you  parrot

i know how you feel, I left Islam in the past year too and its like coming out of a goddamn jail when you're through Smiley

All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is conceptual thinking, the conceptual word, which has so unfortunately divided man.
    - J Krishnamurti
     Reply #24 - March 31, 2011, 12:49 PM

Welcome... Enjoy being free and rational. I kicked Islam out of the window not long ago too. Smiley

My position remains the same. I hate, yes hate, your religion, your god/s, your koran,bible, holy text, your prophet and all that sick nonsense.. but I don't hate YOU.
     Reply #25 - March 31, 2011, 06:01 PM

Good intro saln1. Nice to see another fellow londoner join the ranks of the 'damned'.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #26 - March 31, 2011, 06:47 PM

hi

"A belief in hell and the knowledge that every ambition is doomed to frustration at the hands of a skeleton have never prevented the majority of human beings from behaving as though death were no more than an unfounded rumour."
    Aldous Huxley
     Reply #27 - April 01, 2011, 10:47 AM

I hope to meet other like minded individuals both in London and the UK!

btw I hear there is a group of London/Southern exmuslims that meet up fairly regularly.  Dont know much about them though other than that they are on facebook somewhere  grin12

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - April 01, 2011, 07:21 PM

I literally had tears in my eyes. A lifetime of praying/reading the Quran/and being educated in the Islamic way was coming to an end. For the first time in my life, I feel truly liberated and I've finally summed up the courage to tell myself "I am an atheist".

It's a great feeling, no?

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around sometime  Afro
     Reply #29 - April 01, 2011, 07:31 PM

Welcome!  Smiley

"The roads all ahead of you - I cannot tell a lie - it's not all cherry pie - but it's all there waiting for you - every day is new again - every day is yours to win - that's how heroes are made!"

I think that'll be my standard welcome to all new ex-Muslims.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »