Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy

(Read 31556 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy
     Reply #30 - March 17, 2011, 03:04 PM

I thought he was an indian yahoodi who lived in america. Jk Tongue
     Reply #31 - March 17, 2011, 03:08 PM

no..no.. placebo effect is nothing to do with atheism ateapotist.,

the moment the person  knows  that "it is placebo that s/he taking as medicine" the  placebo effect is gone.

Of course, yeezevee.  I'm just speaking about myself.  I became an atheist through the Dawkins route, so I abandoned all superstitious ways of thinking and adopted science/reason/scepticism.  So basically I became a sceptic at the same time. Smiley

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #32 - March 17, 2011, 03:08 PM

Ishina, that video is great - I loved it when I saw it for the first time. I feel exact same way as narrator does about the stuff mentioned there. Like I said, I am pretty sure the 'magic pills' won't hurt - so at worst they won't do anything. In best case, they could work or I could fool myself into placebo effect. So why not?

Muddy and supermario, I agree that only because there are no scientific proofs that something works and only evidence pointing to the fact that it probably doesn't, it doesn't mean that it doesn't, does it? I am sure that science will prove in the future the great benefits of doodpatee and ayran (what is it MaB?). Also I am a strong believer that cold wind can cause a cold despite it being viral. How exactly it works I am not sure but it is the wisdom of Russian (and other) witches in some parts of the world.

Ateapot, LOL at taking water every day.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #33 - March 17, 2011, 03:09 PM

Hurray  England is loosing.. Bangladesh is in Qurater finals..

WI 147 for 5  common guys 100 more runs..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #34 - March 17, 2011, 03:16 PM

Homoeopathy doesn't work, for anyone who says "what's the harm?" click it and see for yourself. Homoeopathy keeps people from getting medication that actually works and that poses a real danger to the lives of people who can get "real medicine" to cure their disease.

Here's a nice piece on what homoeopathy really is. It's just as effective as plain water.
     Reply #35 - March 17, 2011, 03:17 PM

^ Thank you
     Reply #36 - March 17, 2011, 03:25 PM

Homoeopathy doesn't work, for anyone who says "what's the harm?" click it and see for yourself. Homoeopathy keeps people from getting medication that actually works and that poses a real danger to the lives of people who can get "real medicine" to cure their disease.

Here's a nice piece on what homoeopathy really is. It's just as effective as plain water.

well that is theoretical definition of homeopathy., but we have to realize here there are plenty of substances that work at dilutions NOT at the level of what these Quakers talk in colleges like these http://www.similima.com/linkscollege.html

but there are plenty of products from Nature that work in micro and submicromolar levels..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #37 - March 17, 2011, 03:31 PM

well that is theoretical definition of homeopathy., but we have to realize here there are plenty of substances that work at dilutions NOT at the level of what these Quakers talk in colleges like these http://www.similima.com/linkscollege.html

but there are plenty of products from Nature that work in micro and submicromolar levels..

Homoeopathy isn't one of them. I think, we should vocally speak out against such bullshit instead of saying "what's the harm?" so that more people don't become victims.
     Reply #38 - March 17, 2011, 03:44 PM

Why are you parading your stupidity like donnie, thinking it's a good thing? Did I ever say that if my leg gets ripped of in a car accident I will ask a cab driver to rush me to the nearest healer to cast some spells on me? No. I take homeopathy in addition to vitamin C when I sneeze three times in a row. Do you suggest I go to a doctor each time I get sniffles or should I just take antibiotics?

Don, you either did not read the OP where I said that I find homeopathy laughable, in which case you're a troll or you couldn't comprehend it in which case you're a simpleton. Of course, I cannot exclude the third possibility that you're a dumb troll. Also, where do you get your science facts, since becoming an atheist - grandma? Try Wikipedia, it will definitely be a step up. It does not mention germs in homeopathy.  Roll Eyes

Reply #39 - March 17, 2011, 04:04 PM

No. I take homeopathy in addition to vitamin C when I sneeze three times in a row. Do you suggest I go to a doctor each time I get sniffles or should I just take antibiotics?

Don't compare anti biotics to a homeopathy pill. The first works, the 2nd is quakery, and if you take it while knowing about all the arguments against it, then you're no believer/follower of science.

Don, you either did not read the OP where I said that I find homeopathy laughable

If you find it laughable, then why do you take homeopathy pills for flu? You're contradicting yourself.

Also, where do you get your science facts, since becoming an atheist - grandma? Try Wikipedia, it will definitely be a step up. It does not mention germs in homeopathy.  Roll Eyes

Perhaps not germs, but it does use the substances that cause the disease in the first place, dilluting them in water. Same thing IMO.
     Reply #40 - March 17, 2011, 04:38 PM

Jesus Christ, donatelo! Your nonsense makes me speechless. Where did I compare antibiotics to homeopathy? It's so hard not to call you a pond life.

Look, I will apologize for being rude to you if you only admit that you're trolling right now or have either no desire or capacity to understand what I am saying. It's not your fault that I was mean to you, I just have an issue with my reaction to people who don't understand me. MaB is the only one who gets away with it, due to his condition and because his posts are actually worth while reading. You are only wasting bytes or something on the Internets. You are a bad bad substitute to armanduk, who at least was funny. I will apologize, just stop the bullshit, bro. 

Reply #41 - March 17, 2011, 04:46 PM

Jesus Christ, donatelo! Your nonsense makes me speechless.

smd
    Where did I compare antibiotics to homeopathy?

I take homeopathy...when I sneeze three times in a row. Do you suggest I go to a doctor each time I get sniffles or should I just take antibiotics?

It's so hard not to call you a pond life.

Look, I will apologize for being rude to you if you only admit that you're trolling right now or have either no desire or capacity to understand what I am saying.

I troll a lot,  but I haven't done it on this thread before this post but I'm going to be doing it from now on in response to any more ad hominems you post.

It's not your fault that I was mean to you, I just have an issue with my reaction to people who don't understand me. MaB is the only one who gets away with it, due to his condition and because his posts are actually worth while reading. You are only wasting bytes or something on the Internets. You are a bad bad substitute to armanduk, who at least was funny. I will apologize, just stop the bullshit, bro.  

Reply #42 - March 17, 2011, 04:56 PM

Oh no, not trolling again! I can't stand it! Your plan is too genius.

Btw, I retract my suggestion of Wikipedia as your starting point. It appears that you should start with a dictionary and look up "to compare".

Turtles are pond life. I apologize to all the turtles in the world for comparing them earlier to donatelo.

Reply #43 - March 17, 2011, 05:01 PM

Reply #44 - March 17, 2011, 05:39 PM

I was just told by my boss that his boss got Hepatitus B even though he had vaccination. I am definitely not saying the vaccinations doesn't work most of the time. He does go to Hong Kong every two years for traditional medications that are working for him much better then the doctors here.

Anyways, we had very intelligent discussion and we came to conclusion that most of the pharmaceutical companies do not like to find permanent cures for high profit diseases like AIDS, lactose intolerance, broncitus. Because they do want patients to continue paying for the treatments they make. Those treatments have to be taken for rest of the life so that these companies keep benefitting from them.

I do know homeopathic worked pretty well certain times in my family. If you do not want to believe it, I am not going to force you to believe.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #45 - March 17, 2011, 05:57 PM

I think im being misrepresented I dont believe in homeopathy I think its a crock and I dont know why its considered a legit form of medicine in the USA but in Canada it isnt. also Im saying herbal and natural remedies could work or they may not its really up to us to test them and find if they do. Because before we had sterile pharmaceutical companies telling us the only good medicine is manufactured and made in labs we have been using natural remedies for thousands of years. There are two sides of the coin in this issue yes there are those who exploit the gullibility of the masses for financial gain and theirs the pharmaceutical companies that want to wipe out all natural products and treatments because if someone can grow a herb or something in their backyard to cure an ailment then it reduces their profit.

The problem with natural and herbal medicine is it needs to be put ot the same testing standards regular medicine is put to so they cant make outrageous claims like they do.
     Reply #46 - March 17, 2011, 06:04 PM

Do you really think pharmaceutical companies would let those tests happen?

They and FDA sue doctors if they try to cure patients from things that are not aproved by them.

and many others...
     Reply #47 - March 17, 2011, 06:11 PM

Why are you parading your stupidity like donnie, thinking it's a good thing? Did I ever say that if my leg gets ripped of in a car accident I will ask a cab driver to rush me to the nearest healer to cast some spells on me? No. I take homeopathy in addition to vitamin C when I sneeze three times in a row. Do you suggest I go to a doctor each time I get sniffles or should I just take antibiotics?

I never stated that you support homoeopathy. Anyways, if you don't think that homoeopathy doesn't work then why take it? We know that it doesn't work.

But since you think that way, I've got this amazing pill I've come up with, it has no ill effects, and it can make you strong and awesome just like a Honey Badger. It can cure many illnesses and make you immune to snake poison. What's the secret? Well, it's essentially infinitely diluted Honey Badger milk and piss, just like homoeopathy -- don't worry, we add sugar to make it taste awesome -- it comes in 3 flavours banana, honey and strawberry. If you order now you'll get a years worth of supply of awesome Honey Badger milk, taken from the most fierce and battle hardened Honey Badgers.

Let me show you how bad ass Honey Badgers are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U

I am done here.
     Reply #48 - March 17, 2011, 06:12 PM

the irony that atheists are saying it comes down to faith haha believe it or not hahaha i guess not all atheists make an intellectual decision on rejecting faith. as atheists we need to be constantly skeptical and i dont see that here.
     Reply #49 - March 17, 2011, 06:14 PM

The fda is suppose to be there to protect public health and not release meds that arent tested fully.
     Reply #50 - March 17, 2011, 06:27 PM

Anyways, I am getting disappointed the way people on this forum are making assertions against homeopathy without providing any evidence that it doesn't work!

I can tell you 100% of times Calendula works much faster than any other medication to heal cuts and wounds. Other drugs, some work, some don't..

The fda is supposed to be there to protect public health and not release meds that aren't tested fully.

Again, in life and death situation even under test medications should be allowed. Or in cases where those under the test drugs can help someone from loosing some vital organ should be allowed.

and many others...
     Reply #51 - March 17, 2011, 06:39 PM

How about data that shows that homeopathy does work?

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #52 - March 17, 2011, 06:40 PM

thats your opinion but the legal liability of allowing untested medications onto the market is absurd and highly dangerous.
     Reply #53 - March 17, 2011, 06:41 PM

where can i find such research? is it peer reviewed?
     Reply #54 - March 17, 2011, 07:58 PM

Anyways, I am getting disappointed the way people on this forum are making assertions against homeopathy without providing any evidence that it doesn't work!

I can tell you 100% of times Calendula works much faster than any other medication to heal cuts and wounds. Other drugs, some work, some don't..
    Again, in life and death situation even under test medications should be allowed. Or in cases where those under the test drugs can help someone from loosing some vital organ should be allowed.

There you go, Muddy. I'll list a few.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/82/1/69

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584459

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9820349

These are just a few of them, the medical journals are littered with them. How many do you want?

Reply #55 - March 17, 2011, 08:03 PM

Just like the amazing Randi, on several occasions, I've downed entire bottles of homeopathic sleeping pills (2 bottles in less than a minute on one occasion).

Absolutely nothing happened BECAUSE ITS F**KING WATER AND NOTHING MIXED TOGETHER!
     Reply #56 - March 17, 2011, 08:09 PM

Just like the amazing Randi, on several occasions, I've downed entire bottles of homeopathic sleeping pills (2 bottles in less than a minute on one occasion).

Absolutely nothing happened BECAUSE ITS F**KING WATER AND NOTHING MIXED TOGETHER!

No shit, MC.
     Reply #57 - March 17, 2011, 08:09 PM

No mighty_cats.  With homeopathy it works differently.  The less of it you have the more 'effective' (*cough*.. *cough*) it is.  Hence it follows that if you have a teeeny teeeny amount, or nothing infact (lol), you will feel the 'effects' more.   whistling2

OK, bad attempt at a joke, nevermind. whistling2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #58 - March 17, 2011, 08:12 PM

Its true aswell,
    On one occasion a man actually died from an overdose....he forgot to take it  dance
     Reply #59 - March 17, 2011, 08:12 PM

No shit, MC.

I was demonstrating a point to muddy.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »