Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: An ex-Muslim from Malaysia

(Read 10430 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • An ex-Muslim from Malaysia
     OP - March 09, 2011, 10:05 PM

Hi there folks!

I've known about CEMB for a while now but I've only started reading the forums a few days ago. I'd like to introduce myself here because firstly, I find most of you to be very agreeable and secondly, I'd like to make my presence as a Southeast Asian ex-Muslim visible. I've noticed there are already a few here and I'd like to add to that number. I'd also like to encourage future readers from the region to come out or at least make them feel they're not alone.

I had a Malay-Muslim upbringing but I currently consider myself as an atheist. I'm in my mid 20s and currently residing in the UK. I’ve spent quite a number of years here so I’ve always been exposed to a wide range of opinions. Even so, I only started questioning my beliefs late in my life. Before that, I lived by Islamic values.

I didn’t consider myself as a pious muslim, especially when compared to many that I know, but I was quite devout. I led a sober lifestyle, stayed away from non-halal food, tried my best to fill my daily prayer quotas and etc. And I occasionally turned to God whenever I was in a tight spot. That’s how much of a theist I was. I used to love Islam and Allah.

I started to become an agnostic when I had a conversation with a Muslim friend where he openly questioned whether Islam was the ”true” religion. By that the time I did have a tiny doubt but was too afraid to acknowledge it. Seeing someone with the same beliefs doing so empowered me. It took away the indoctrinated fear of questioning the religion. I felt that I wasn’t alone in having doubts and there were others like me.

I started taking more interest in World History and Science since then. Over time, I decided that Islam and other religions are man-made. My de-conversion process was gradual and was helped by copious amount of TV documentaries and research on the net.

Now, I’m an atheist and a skeptic and my outlook on life is considerably different. At one time I was a semi-nationalist, exclusive and somewhat narrow minded. Now I’m a liberal, inclusive and very open minded.

I am also more content with the world. With religion out of the way, everything just makes sense.

• Re: An ex-Muslim from Malaysia
     Reply #1 - March 09, 2011, 10:15 PM

welcome welcome!!

how r u enjoying the dark side ? have u been able to tell anyone ?

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #2 - March 09, 2011, 10:23 PM

Hey welcome Elias!
    Have a parrot:  parrot

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #3 - March 09, 2011, 10:26 PM

Selamat datang  Smiley  Welcome from another newbie, albeit one born and raised (for a large chunk of Sekolah Rendah, anyway..) in Malaysia. As per local custom, have a  parrot
     Reply #4 - March 09, 2011, 10:35 PM

signwelcome Do you know any other exmuslims in real life?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - March 09, 2011, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum, Elias. victory

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - March 09, 2011, 11:27 PM

Welcome to the forum.  bunny

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #7 - March 09, 2011, 11:34 PM

Cheers. Thanks for the parrots and the bunny!

how r u enjoying the dark side ? have u been able to tell anyone ?

Hah, loving it! dance The "dark side" is actually lighter than the side I was on, tbh.

I've been an atheist for about 6 years now and I've told my mom. She's OK with it, as long as I'm happy. She's pretty open minded but it still took me ages to pluck up the courage though.

Selamat datang  Smiley  Welcome from another newbie, albeit one born and raised (for a large chunk of Sekolah Rendah, anyway..) in Malaysia. As per local custom, have a  parrot

Thanks Toor. Hello from another newbie as well then. Whereabouts are you based?

signwelcome Do you know any other exmuslims in real life?

Actually I don't. Only virtual ones for now. Most of my friends in real life are agnostics or atheists and I don't have any religious family members in the vicinity to deal with. So being an ex-Muslim doesn't affect my life on a day-to-day basis. I've just put the issue on a back-burner for the past couple of years.

It's only at the end of last year that I've started to become a bit more vocal about it and that's why I'm here.
     Reply #8 - March 09, 2011, 11:48 PM

How did you manage that? Your mum is outside the norm, not many Muslim mums are so open minded about it?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - March 10, 2011, 12:01 AM

Indeed. I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have her. You see, my family is quite liberal and my mom doesn't practise.

In fact, it's the reason why I became devout during my teenage years. I secretly hated the fact that my family wasn't religious. Silly me...
     Reply #10 - March 10, 2011, 12:20 AM

Hi there folks!.........
    I am also more content with the world. With religion out of the way, everything just makes sense.

indeed everything makes better sense without those bookish religions., So are you familiar with  with Indonesian  FFI Hakimi ?

http://indonesia.faithfreedom.org/forum/forum.html

with best
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - March 10, 2011, 03:20 AM

Welcome. Smiley Good to see another Southeast Asian ex-Muslim here. And you're residing in the UK? I'm envious. Living in a Malay-Muslim community is suffocating, to say the least.
     Reply #12 - March 10, 2011, 06:18 AM

Welcome Smiley
     Reply #13 - March 10, 2011, 07:50 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #14 - March 10, 2011, 08:09 AM

welcome! i hope you enjoy your stay here Smiley have another bunny to collection  bunny

I think a lot of us were brought here by google. Verily google guides whom it wills!

Reply #15 - March 10, 2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks Toor. Hello from another newbie as well then. Whereabouts are you based?

I'm in the UK too. Lots of us kicking about..
     Reply #16 - March 10, 2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks again.

indeed everything makes better sense without those bookish religions., So are you familiar with  with Indonesian  FFI Hakimi ?

Yeah, I know of it but Im not a frequent visitor though. Thanks.

Welcome. Smiley Good to see another Southeast Asian ex-Muslim here. And you're residing in the UK? I'm envious. Living in a Malay-Muslim community is suffocating, to say the least.

I've never lived in the region since becoming non-religious so I can't really say I know how it feels like. But I can get a sense of it based on anecdotes from friends online.

I suspect that being in Singapore would be slightly better than it's closer neighbours, no?

Welcome to the forums!

Ah, The Rationalizer! I love your videos. Love your 'tache too!

Reply #17 - March 11, 2011, 01:35 AM

welcome Smiley  parrot

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #18 - March 11, 2011, 09:44 AM

I've never lived in the region since becoming non-religious so I can't really say I know how it feels like. But I can get a sense of it based on anecdotes from friends online.

I suspect that being in Singapore would be slightly better than it's closer neighbours, no?

It definitely is. Still, it's hard being a closet atheist.

Anywyay, guess I'll see ya on the forum. Smiley
     Reply #19 - March 11, 2011, 07:03 PM

You are most welcome ex-brother in Islam  Afro

I'm open for debate (of why we should re-/embrace Islam), but I will no longer participate in this forum. Message me if you need anything. Good luck and may you all find your way... again...
     Reply #20 - March 16, 2011, 09:38 AM

I started to become an agnostic when I had a conversation with a Muslim friend where he openly questioned whether Islam was the ”true” religion. By that the time I did have a tiny doubt but was too afraid to acknowledge it. Seeing someone with the same beliefs doing so empowered me. It took away the indoctrinated fear of questioning the religion. I felt that I wasn’t alone in having doubts and there were others like me.

Do you know if this guy followed suit?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - March 16, 2011, 09:36 PM

Do you know if this guy followed suit?

He wasn't really convinced that Islam was the True religion at the end of that conversation. But he chose to follow it since he was born as a Muslim and didn't know any better. Shame that he didn't think being non-religious was also an option.

That was ages ago and I've lost contact with the guy so I have no idea what he believes in now.
  • An ex-Muslim from Malaysia
     Reply #22 - March 07, 2017, 07:26 PM

I realize that the last post under this thread is from years ago. I just wanted to say, I am an ex-Muslim from Malaysia too. I currently live in Canada. I hope to meet whomever still visits this website.  Afro

---
    Murtad Mama
    "Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error..." - Qur'an 2:256
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »