Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My spirituality as an Atheist

(Read 4999 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My spirituality as an Atheist
     OP - February 18, 2011, 06:06 AM

I dont know if anyone posted this before since Im new so if someone has forgive me. But I love this video and it sums up my spirituality as an atheist and its a great counter to theists who claim Atheists have no reason to live, my response is when we let go of god and religion it allows us to truly live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nfXfTg92E

Sorry I dont know how to embed youtube videos in the forums yet :/
  • Re: My spirituality as an Atheist
     Reply #1 - February 18, 2011, 06:24 AM

The video seems to be nonsense. Not that it is a bad video. Nonsense comes in a shape of redefining "spirituality". It's not the same thing that standard spiritualists believe they possess. Why try and join those lunatics? Let them be deluded, believing in supernatural superstitions and let atheists be something else. Spirituality in the video has no spirit? It's like confessing to be an alcoholic, when one hasn't tried any alcohol. BS. I am not "spiritual", even though I find the stars and mountains to be beautiful and feel humbled by nature.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #2 - February 18, 2011, 09:56 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you Alex. In every other way, I like the sentiments of the video - we can find beauty in the world and our existence in it and we can hold a deep respect for the universe as we realise our relative stature, all without any departure from reason. However, to use the word "spiritual" seems unnecessary, unhelpful and maybe even a little dishonest. Yes, atheists can redefine spirituality to describe what it is that we experience, but why would we? The argument that there is no suitable one-word alternative is an ill thought out one, for an exclamation of spirituality by an atheist must necessarily be clarified and contextualised to ensure the audience does not infer a belief in the supernatural. Surely then, it would be simpler to be accurate in the first instance.

I see a similarity with the pantheists' use of "God" to describe the universe, nature or some set of physical laws. Yes, it sounds nice and poetic, but it is not the definition of the word as understood by the vast majority of people. To select language purely on its poetic merits seems an all too familiar tactic of the pious, in order to confuse and avoid rational discourse. Let us not be complicit with such murky deviousness. Give thanks to the universe or nature directly and articulate the sense of wonder and awe you experience, if you so wish, without resorting to semantic gymnastics.
     Reply #3 - February 18, 2011, 10:17 AM

This content may contain material flagged by YouTube's user community that may be inappropriate for some users. yes

I shouldn't be here. Really. Shaytan SWT deluded ALL of us. Amen.
     Reply #4 - February 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

I dont know if anyone posted this before since Im new so if someone has forgive me. But I love this video and it sums up my spirituality as an atheist and its a great counter to theists who claim Atheists have no reason to live, my response is when we let go of god and religion it allows us to truly live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nfXfTg92E

Sorry I dont know how to embed youtube videos in the forums yet :/

Not everyone here thinks exactly alike. I like parts of this video, though I would have made it differently. There's no reason to get hung up on "atheist dogma" and start denying any need for humanity, poetry, "niceness" just because we're supposed to be cold, calculating and have no need for anything that may mistake us for being human.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #5 - February 18, 2011, 12:59 PM

Not everyone here thinks exactly alike. I like parts of this video, though I would have made it differently. There's no reason to get hung up on "atheist dogma" and start denying any need for humanity, poetry, "niceness" just because we're supposed to be cold, calculating and have no need for anything that may mistake us for being human.

yes  Afro

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #6 - February 19, 2011, 10:27 AM

There's no reason to get hung up on "atheist dogma" and start denying any need for humanity, poetry, "niceness" just because we're supposed to be cold, calculating and have no need for anything that may mistake us for being human.

Hi Allat. I feel you've misrepresented and/or misunderstood what was posted previously and I'm not sure that reducing an opinion to an adherence to dogma is either fair or helpful for a discussion. I can imagine a post to which your reply would be reasonable, but I don't see that post here. You seem to have rebuked a stance that had not been taken. I don't know where you got the idea that anyone was denying the need for humanity. I certainly didn't say that, neither did Alex. I'm not sure if the inverted commas around "niceness" were intended to imply a quote, but if so, you've again made a mistake because no one mentioned niceness.  I think you've responded to what you wanted the previous posts to say, not what is actually written. As for poetry, yes, it is beautiful and a life without it and art in general would be a much worse one. However, for the same reason that we would not describe any scientific hypothesis through the medium of interpretive dance, I would suggest it is also inappropriate to use poetry. If you have the time, please reread what was previously posted and you may see that we agree more than you initially thought.
     Reply #7 - February 19, 2011, 02:53 PM

^ this

I was confused by allat as well.

Reply #8 - February 19, 2011, 03:51 PM

I see a similarity with the pantheists' use of "God" to describe the universe, nature or some set of physical laws. Yes, it sounds nice and poetic, but it is not the definition of the word as understood by the vast majority of people. To select language purely on its poetic merits seems an all too familiar tactic of the pious, in order to confuse and avoid rational discourse. Let us not be complicit with such murky deviousness. Give thanks to the universe or nature directly and articulate the sense of wonder and awe you experience, if you so wish, without resorting to semantic gymnastics.

Have to respectfully disagree Chris. Your dislike of the word "spiritual" reminds me of the Muslims disliking anything westerners do or say based on the saying "do not imitate the kuffar". For me, no one has a monopoly on language, terms, so what if organised religion has hijacked the word "spiritual" for centuries? Before religion came about I am sure our atheist ancestors had plenty of spiritual experiences and did not attribute them to anything.

For me, what spiritual implies is something science does not explain, for example the effects of meditation. That does not mean that I don't want science to explain it - to the contrary I would rather a world where science could explain everything. But in the meantime I see no problem with using this word as an atheist.
     Reply #9 - February 19, 2011, 08:12 PM

What I don't get is why we all talk about "morality" which has been a topic of study within religions for millenia, while discounting "spirituality" as though it's a bad word in itself, though both those words were heavily associated with religions through most of human history. There seems to have developed a particular atheist principle that anything that isn't observed in a petri dish is automatically less valuable. And I find that to be arrogant and dogmatic itself. There are lots of people who see a lot of value in poetry, music, dance, art, beauty, wonder, awe, love, and for whom "spirituality" is not associated with religious dogma, but a sense experienced when observing or thinking about the wonders of the universe, of the natural world, and of human existence.

I've talked about this supposedly bad word "spirituality" in other threads, too, e.g. here:
    I have pantheist/zen/taoist/mystic leanings even though I'm an avowed atheist i.e. I don't follow and won't follow any organized, hierarchical religion, and I have no good reason to believe in the existence of any personal deity.

I think "spirituality" gets a bad rap among some atheists because it contains the word "spirit"and so is associated still with religious belonging or with new-agey scam artists.

But that may change - the way that "morality" is no longer associated with religion even though it had been so for the last several thousand years, I do think that what we may call spirituality,  in its myriad of forms, will be separated from the idea of religion too, once atheists stop getting harassed for being eclectic and having varied experiences and perceptions.

For me, spirituality is the feeling of connectedness, and I think there's some good in that. Whatever it may morph into, it may not be called "spirituality" but I think the human drive to connect with other humans and other life forms and to appreciate beauty in some large, unpossessable sense will not go away. It just needs time to be appreciated on its own without the baggage of religions and dogmas.

and

It's subjective and relative, just like being "moral" is. At the basis, for me, like I said, it's a sense of connectedness, with the universe, but on a very personal level. That is, I know that I am a bunch of atoms, that I'm part of the universe which is all a bunch of atoms. What does that mean in day to day life? It means I can be humble about my place and not think the universe revolves around me, but instead feel awe that I'm part of it at all and able to recognize that I'm part of it.

Spirituality as a term has been bastardized and commercialized by religion and other dogmatic schemes, like morality as a term has been through that as well. For some people, being moral means stoning adulterers and banning homosexuality. For others, it's mostly about the golden rule. Our concept of morality has changed through times and is slightly different depending on our cultural influences. Similarly, spirituality is a concept that's also just a word for a feeling that has been interpreted differently by different people. Religion does try to prostitute it, it's true, like it tries to claim morality as its invention, it claims spirituality for itself. But the fact is that a tendency for morality, as in empathy & reciprocity for the benefit of social cohesion is built in to us (studies have shown this), and a sense of being part of a greater whole and feeling in awe at being part of it all, is also a tendency built in to us, whether we call that being "spiritual" or not, whether we associate it with a particular religious tradition or not. It also has social value as it allows us to think of other people (imagining ourselves in "their shoes"), consider the effects of our actions (as being part of the whole) and not feel as much despair about mortality if we are busy appreciating the universe and its wonders.

In fact there are many people who do benefit from using art, music, poetry and other such "spiritual" things more than or as much as from reading dry scientific accounts that eschew any human need for aestheticism and "spirituality".

I know it's not a popular opinion among atheists, many of whom tend to deny the human history of concepts like "morality" and "spirituality" and the human need to feel like there may be a connection between seemingly disparate things. But the fact that there has developed a "right" way to be an atheist is problematic as it resembles a doctrine, a dogma by its exclusion of any heterodoxy of thought or experience.

Have to respectfully disagree Chris. Your dislike of the word "spiritual" reminds me of the Muslims disliking anything westerners do or say based on the saying "do not imitate the kuffar". For me, no one has a monopoly on language, terms, so what if organised religion has hijacked the word "spiritual" for centuries? Before religion came about I am sure our atheist ancestors had plenty of spiritual experiences and did not attribute them to anything.

Yep. And Abrahamic/organized religions do not have a monopoly on human experiences, sensations, meanings, and words. Why should we deny that, for example, Taoist, some branches of Buddhist and Hindu, and other traditions have had modes of thinking that didn't deny empirical knowledge for the sake of religious dogma, and didn't deny spiritual experiences based on a limited understanding of the natural world? There are lots of cultures and peoples for whom spirituality and a clear understanding of the natural world can and do co-exist. Just because the Abrahamics couldn't manage that for the most part, doesn't mean we need to privilege their way of thinking about science or spirituality.

For me, what spiritual implies is something science does not explain, for example the effects of meditation. That does not mean that I don't want science to explain it - to the contrary I would rather a world where science could explain everything. But in the meantime I see no problem with using this word as an atheist.

Well stated. We should remember that science's greatest strength is leaving things open that it has not yet reached definitive answers for. And that includes realizing that science doesn't exist in a cultural vacuum, and remembering that "science" has also been wrong at times, like when "science" claimed that African peoples' brains were "naturally" formed to make them docile and in need of being enslaved. "Science" is also not a religion and we ought to not reinforce the view among religionists that it is one by claiming in the name of science that those things that science doesn't yet understand just simply don't exist.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #10 - February 19, 2011, 08:38 PM

There's no reason to get hung up on "atheist dogma" and start denying any need for humanity, poetry, "niceness" just because we're supposed to be cold, calculating and have no need for anything that may mistake us for being human.

Sure there is. See my avatar and sig.

There seems to have developed a particular atheist principle that anything that isn't observed in a petri dish is automatically less valuable.

Tis a wonderful principle.

And I find that to be arrogant and dogmatic itself.

Afro grin12

fuck you
     Reply #11 - February 19, 2011, 08:45 PM

Okay, so are you saying you want to be referred to as Russian Turnip Man from now on? Wink

Reply #12 - February 19, 2011, 09:00 PM

Very hard to see parallels between morality and spirituality. I have not seen an atheist who denies morality in all its shapes and forms or a need for it. People need morality when they live in groups. The fact that its origins have been attributed to sky-daddy hardly make it the same as spirituality. "Spirit" is not observable. How do you define spirituality? Poetry, beauty of nature are appreciated very well by people who don't consider themselves spiritual. Sometimes I think it would be cool to be spiritual in an atheist way, but then I wonder how would it be anything more than mystifying the unknown?

Reply #13 - February 19, 2011, 09:07 PM

^^^Is real Russian turnip

fuck you
     Reply #14 - February 19, 2011, 09:12 PM

Very hard to see parallels between morality and spirituality. I have not seen an atheist who denies morality in all its shapes and forms or a need for it. People need morality when they live in groups. The fact that its origins have been attributed to sky-daddy hardly make it the same as spirituality. "Spirit" is not observable. How do you define spirituality? Poetry, beauty of nature are appreciated very well by people who don't consider themselves spiritual. Sometimes I think it would be cool to be spiritual in an atheist way, but then I wonder how would it be anything more than mystifying the unknown?

But see, if morality can exist without religions, then so can spirituality. Because:

- According to theists/religionists, both morality and spirituality come from god(s) or are ways of relating to god(s).
    - Both morality and spirituality are innate senses that all human social groups have developed language and systems for, and when I say morality, I mean a sense of reciprocity and consequences for behaviours, limits on behaviours for the benefit of the whole, etc. When I say spirituality, I mean a sense of awe and a feeling of connectedness with other people and natural phenomena. Both types of sensations have social purposes, like I said in one of my posts above:
    It's subjective and relative, just like being "moral" is....

For some people, being moral means stoning adulterers and banning homosexuality. For others, it's mostly about the golden rule. Our concept of morality has changed through times and is slightly different depending on our cultural influences. Similarly, spirituality is a concept that's also just a word for a feeling that has been interpreted differently by different people. Religion does try to prostitute it, it's true, like it tries to claim morality as its invention, it claims spirituality for itself. But the fact is that a tendency for morality, as in empathy & reciprocity for the benefit of social cohesion is built in to us (studies have shown this), and a sense of being part of a greater whole and feeling in awe at being part of it all, is also a tendency built in to us, whether we call that being "spiritual" or not, whether we associate it with a particular religious tradition or not. It also has social value as it allows us to think of other people (imagining ourselves in "their shoes"), consider the effects of our actions (as being part of the whole) and not feel as much despair about mortality if we are busy appreciating the universe and its wonders.

If you study the history of "morality" it is probably MORE tied to religions than "spirituality" because morality allowed religious authorities to control the behaviours of the masses, and spirituality is subversive because it's a personal, individual feeling (that everyone feels but some may not call it "spirituality") that religions tried but really could not control as easily. Then why do atheists feel okay with reclaiming the word that religions have used to repress and mass murder groups of people, but not the word that has actually liberated people from group think in many cases, especially within the most rigid, Abrahamic doctrines?

Reply #15 - February 19, 2011, 09:12 PM

i could very well  think that spirituality is overrated  because when i hear the world spiritual i get the image of that famous youtuber and his video  "double rainbow"
    WHAT DOES IT MEAN??

"Tomorrow is the today you were worried about yesterday" Unknown
     Reply #16 - February 19, 2011, 10:15 PM

@allat

I disagree with connectedness - feel very little connectedness with hurricanes that destroy peoples homes. Feel little connectedness with millions of starving people, UNLESS I see them. If I do see human suffering and feel for them, then that is connected to morality imho, not spirituality.

Reclaiming morality from religions is not entirely true, as ancient greeks have pondered morality (as extension of political philosophy, part of ancient philosophy) long long ago and tradition wasn't completely lost until our days.

There may be spirituality, as a feeling you're talking about and it may be simply that I haven't felt it (since after apostasy) and am unqualified to talk about it, but the parallels are wrong because morality, again, is observable in rules and norms and in behavior of all social animals (thus no need to say that it comes/ was reclaimed from religions, it just is, same as we didn't "reclaimed" cosmology from flat earth religions), but spirituality as a concept is completely religious-mystical. Yet you may be right, it may be true, I just don't get it. I feel a little connected to you, though  Smiley

Reply #17 - February 21, 2011, 09:17 AM

Wow I didnt realize the word spirituality would have created such opposition. I think as you get older you realize the importance of spirituality and connectedness. I do not think you need god or religion but you still need to celebrate life appreciate beauty realize that we are all truly one. That atheism dosnt have to be cold and sterile it has place for hope and beauty. I had enough restriction of joy and expression in Islam I dont need that with atheism haha. And let many have said just because the word spirituality has been hijacked by the religious does not mean that we do not have a role for spirituality in our lives. To me spirituality is appreciation of nature of life of existence or all the good and positive beautiful things in this world. 
     Reply #18 - February 21, 2011, 10:26 AM

i could very well  think that spirituality is overrated  because when i hear the world spiritual i get the image of that famous youtuber and his video  "double rainbow"
    WHAT DOES IT MEAN??

+1

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #19 - February 21, 2011, 06:28 PM

It's a great video. What are people complaining about? Cliff notes please, I can't even be bothered to read it.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #20 - February 22, 2011, 02:40 AM

@Ishinka

People (and by people I mean mostly me and chris) are complaining about the word itself. I agree with the need and usefulness of most of the things attributed to "atheist spirituality" above by other people, I just don't like the word. Some want the word "reclaimed" from religionists - I don't want it all, except in history books. Trifling argument possibly.

Reply #21 - February 22, 2011, 02:51 AM

Its odd though, because its only atheist/pantheist/deist/agnostic/naturalist types that have given any compelling description of what is ‘spiritual.’ The word belongs to them if it belongs to anyone. Ask an average Joe theist what spiritual is to them, and get scripture regurgitations instead of an opinion, or some pedestrian anecdote about their local church community, or some irritatingly vague description of a warm tingly feeling they had once, probably when they forgot to breath.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #22 - February 22, 2011, 02:57 AM

LOL at warm tingly feeling upon forgetting to breath

Reply #23 - August 23, 2014, 02:21 PM

Spirituality permits me  to go beyond and allows me to gain further insight of the unknown.
     Reply #24 - August 23, 2014, 02:26 PM

Spirituality permits me  to go beyond and allows me to gain further insight of the unknown.   

Oh my goodness that sounds deep ..

Well the moment I get up out of the bed,  I take  the  spirituality out of my brain  put it under pillow   to store t and when I go back to sleep I take that out from the storage place and put back in the skull  to sleep well..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »