Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Egypt protests: Three reported dead in 'day of revolt'

(Read 122940 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 13 14 1516 17 ... 27 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Egypt protests: Three reported dead in 'day of revolt'
     Reply #420 - February 01, 2011, 11:29 PM

Any particular chapters I should keep an eye out for? Not sure I wanna wade throough your life story, charming though I'm sure it is.
     Reply #421 - February 01, 2011, 11:30 PM

If Mubarak goes immediately and if the Muslim Brotherhood are the only viable alternative there is to run the country, I just hope the Egyptian people interview them first and tell them in no uncertain terms the kind of government they want and the only kind they will tolerate and if they don't deliver then they'll be hounded out too, and then mean what they say and follow through with this.  The people have been so brave and come so far, I hope it's not all for nothing.  Power to the People.  Afro

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #422 - February 01, 2011, 11:39 PM

Any particular chapters I should keep an eye out for? Not sure I wanna wade throough your life story, charming though I'm sure it is.

Not really sure what you're after. There is no sex or scandal - Chapter One covers my early life in one neat chapter so it may be of interest - then again it might not. Sorry if it bores, you mate:

http://abooali.wordpress.com/chapter-1/

Reply #423 - February 01, 2011, 11:46 PM

The Arab media is reporting as if the whole thing is over. They think that Mubarak's offer should be accepted.

I hope the Egyptian people don't fall for that. If everyone trusted Mubarak and went back home, they'd be making a big mistake. In 8 months Mubarak can crack down on tens of thousands of dissidents and make an example of them.

You are almost there, don't give up  Afro
     Reply #424 - February 01, 2011, 11:49 PM

Not really sure what you're after. There is no sex or scandal ...

I'm gutted. A fat lot of good you are. I will dip my bucket into it.
     Reply #425 - February 01, 2011, 11:51 PM

I hope the Egyptian people don't fall for that.

They won't - believe me they wont!
     Reply #426 - February 02, 2011, 12:18 AM

Wonderful vid, Nesrin - bless her and bless all the young people who made this revolution happen and I wish with all my heart that their aspirations come true and that the more backward and regressive elements are kept at bay.

I think I might mirror this (unless you are going to.)

Thanks
    go ahead if you like .. i won't be mirroring this one
     Reply #427 - February 02, 2011, 01:27 AM

Don't know if this was shown anywhere else on this topic, probably has, but you get some truly wonderful pictures in these times. This one warms me. Smiley Look at the people all smiling.

Reply #428 - February 02, 2011, 12:03 PM

Thousands out on the streets again today (despite calls from the army to "go home"). The people are angrily rejecting Mubarak's offer to go in Sept and promise of reform.

They want him to go NOW!

No going back!
     Reply #429 - February 02, 2011, 12:18 PM

Yemeni President who has ruled the country for decades has announced he will not renew his presidency and he will not pass the power on to his son.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has announced he will not seek another term in office, as opposition groups prepared to renew protests calling for an end to his decades-old rule.

Mr. Saleh told Yemen's parliament Wednesday he will not try to extend his presidency when his current term runs out in 2013, and will not hand power to his son.

Opposition groups have called for "day of rage" protests on Thursday, continuing a string of rallies that activists have said were inspired by demonstrations in Tunisia and Egypt.

In his address Wednesday, Mr. Saleh called for a halt to all planned protests.  He also told lawmakers to freeze a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow him to seek another term.

Last week, at least 10,000 demonstrators gathered at Sana'a University and about 6,000 elsewhere in the capital for rallies against the government.

Mr. Saleh has been in power for more than 30 years.  He has proposed raising salaries for civil workers and the military in the wake of the protests.  He has also ordered income taxes cut in half and has instructed his government to install price controls.

If this is true, a ruler of thirty years has submitted defeat. Sign of the times hopefully.
     Reply #430 - February 02, 2011, 01:32 PM

Egypt's Next Steps  By AHMED ZEWAIL
    CAIRO — The revolt that has erupted across Egypt is in many ways historic and should take the nation into a hopeful future. What’s unexpected, even by the Egyptians themselves, is that this intifada is led by youth, the so-called Facebook children, with no religious or ideological agenda other than a better future for Egypt and its people.

In this difficult time, the military has earned the expected respect of the masses by acting professionally to maintain safety and stability as the guardian of the Egyptian people. By reclaiming the future while maintaining stability, these two forces of the youth and the military offer great hope for an orderly transition to a new Egypt.

Clearly, it is time for fundamental change in Egypt, not just cosmetic alterations. There are several reasons for the current uprising that must be borne in mind in order to figure out where to go from here. The people of Egypt have finally lost patience with power games among those surrounding the president over succession to his son, Gamal Mubarak; the lack of transparency among those who held power; and the phony elections that led in the last Parliament to a majority by Mubarak’s party, effectively with no opposition.

Though Egypt has seen some economic progress in recent years, the masses of the poor have been left behind, and the middle class has actually gone backward. Only the small elite at the top has benefited lavishly by exploiting its influence with the government. The corruption resulting from this marriage and the constant demands for bribes by officials has further exhausted the tolerance of the people.

Finally, the education system, which is central to every Egyptian household’s hopes of progress, has deteriorated into a sad state that is far below Egypt’s standing in the world. The system failed in a big way, especially when I compare it with the one I personally experienced as a student in Alexandria in the 1960s. Moreover, scientific research in Egypt, which was ahead of South Korea, has now fallen to the tail of global rankings over the 30 years of the regime’s governance.

Where do we go from here?

There are four important steps that must be taken to resolve the current crisis:

First, a council of wise men and women should be assembled to map out a new national vision and draft a new constitution based on liberty, human rights and the orderly transfer of power.

Second, the independence of the judiciary must be guaranteed.

Third, free and fair elections must be conducted for the upper and lower houses of Parliament and for the presidency, overseen by the independent judiciary;

Fourth, a new transitional government of national unity must be formed as soon as possible.

Egypt is in a transition, and it is important that the Egyptian people realize that in the coming days solidarity will be a key force for a successful outcome. The role of the military must be to maintain order and to protect the people from looting and crimes, and not to interfere in the formation of the unity government. Longstanding political parties and organizations should for now put aside their own agendas and place their priorities on building a stable bridge to Egypt’s democratic future.

In order for this plan to succeed, President Hosni Mubarak must step down now. Mubarak came to power as a hero who fought bravely in Egypt’s wars and headed the nation’s air force. He can act heroically again if he leaves power immediately so that the transition to a new Egypt can take place in an orderly and peaceful manner.

HELLO ANY ONE listening IN EGYPT??...  I hope some one translates and publishes it in an Egyptian Arabic news paper.. I was fortunate to meet  the ZEWAIL 8 years ago....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #431 - February 02, 2011, 01:55 PM

As mentionned by Hassan upthread, the army calls for the protesters to go home.

More about this here :

Egypt Military Tells Protesters to Go Home

Powerful Army, Which Tacitly Backed Popular Uprising, Tells Mubarak Foes They Must Tolerate Him Till Fall

CAIRO - The Egyptian military called Wednesday for an end to more than a week of demonstrations against President Hosni Mubarak, throwing its support behind his embattled regime hours after he defiantly rejected demands to step down immediately and said he would serve out his term in office.

The declaration was a clear shift in the stand of the army, which gave a tacit endorsement to the movement on Monday by saying it would not use force against protesters, and that they had legitimate demands.

Complete Coverage: Anger in the Arab World
    Live Blog: Crisis in Egypt, Day 9

But the messages from Mubarak and the military did little to calm the streets of Cairo.

On Wednesday, the opposition movement - unsatisfied with Mubarak's vows - was joined in central Cairo by thousands of pro-Mubarak demonstrators, rallying in support of the long-time leader. With emotions running high, violence soon erupted between the opposing sides.

CBS Radio News correspondent Vicki Barker reports clashes around her in Cairo turned "very angry, very ugly, very fast".

According to Al Jazeera, some Mubarak supporters were seen entering the square carrying knives. Al Arabiya reports that the pro-Mubarak element were trying to incite violence as anti-Mubarak protesters cried "we don't want to involve the army in this."

Mubarak supporters were out in the streets for the first time Wednesday in large numbers, with thousands demanding an end to the anti-government movement a day after the president went on national television and rejected demands for him to step down.

The anti-Mubarak protesters brought more than 250,000 people into Cairo's main square Tuesday to demand he leave within days. The president responded before midnight on Tuesday with a statement pledging to serve seven more months in office "die on Egyptian soil."

Mubarak Defies Egypt Uprising; Protests Rage On

The army's message to the demonstrators Wednesday had a conciliatory tone, appealing to young protesters to stand down "out of love for Egypt."

"You have started coming out to express your demands and you are the ones capable of returning normal life to Egypt," military spokesman Ismail Etman said in an address on state television. "Your message has arrived, your demands have become known."

Immediately after his statement, state television ran a scrolling message reading: "The armed forces call on the protesters to go home for the sake of bringing back stability."

Ahmed Abdel Hamid, representing The Revolutionary Committee, one of several youth groups that organized the anti-Mubarak protests, said that the regime was going all out to pressure people to stop protesting.

"Starting with the emotional speech of Mubarak, to the closure of banks, the shortage of food and commodities and deployment of thugs to intimidate people, these are all means to put pressure on the people"

The movement against Mubarak is fueled by deep frustration with an autocratic regime blamed for ignoring the needs of the poor and allowing corruption and official abuse to run rampant.

After years of tight state control, protesters emboldened by unrest in Tunisia took to the streets on Jan. 25 and mounted a once-unimaginable series of protests across this nation of 80 million.

Looks like they are reaching a crucial moment and that things could turn ugly. On the other hand, it would feel kind of anticlimactic if they do go home now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/02/world/main7308800.shtml

Edit : To add link

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #432 - February 02, 2011, 02:02 PM

Looks like they are reaching a crucial moment and that things could turn ugly. On the other hand, it would feel kind of anticlimactic if they do go home now.

why what is wrong with they going home  Paloma ??  why do you feel anticlimactic?  I say it is good thing and I feel happy if they go home peacefully.  don't you??   A million people peacefully protest and go home and..and  they can come back protest again until our good friend leaves the post.

what the hell is he doing at the age of 82??  Go home and enjoy man.,  there are plenty of people in Egypt or from Egypt who are as good as Mubarak to Western powers and can govern Egypt in far better way than Mubarak did specially for the past 10 years.

People are just asking for fair fresh elections as soon as possible with new constitution  

Reply #433 - February 02, 2011, 03:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Clashes erupt amid Cairo protests

That is disturbing....

It is right time for Mubarak to resign and if he still think he is leader   Prove it going into free fair   elections

Reply #434 - February 02, 2011, 03:19 PM

Anderson Cooper Attacked, Punched In The Head By Pro-Mubarak Mob In Egypt   says news

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/02/anderson-cooper-attacked-punched-egypt_n_817352.html

Gooooood... America paid 5 billion/year so to Mubarak Mob., they should give something to Americans...

Reply #435 - February 02, 2011, 03:19 PM

There is a difference RAM and I think the Ex-Shia Muslims here will back me up on this - the Ayatollahs and Shia'a clerics hold a greater sanctity over the people than the Sunni clerics do.

Very true. Many Shias believe in the principle of Wilayat Al-Faqih or Guardianship of the Jurist. Many believe in "Absolute" Guardianship of the jurist which extends not only to religious matter but also to economic, military, and governing matters. More importantly, religious Shias tend to hold jurists in very high regard since most of them are Sayyids. Many people go to them when settling disputes and stuff.
     Reply #436 - February 02, 2011, 03:22 PM

A lot of people (also western journalists that are present in Cairo) are reporting that the people violently attacking the protesters are organized and probably act on orders by the government.

I am getting really angry here  Cry tickedoff
     Reply #437 - February 02, 2011, 03:55 PM

oh common don't get angry/upset  let us have some fun..

Glenn Beck Claims Caliphate Will Result From Tunisia and Egypt Rebellions
    http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/49530/glenn-beck-claims-caliphate-will-result-from-tunisia-and-egypt-rebellions/

The more surprising move of today’s Fox News psych warfare hour with Glenn Beck was that Beck held aloft a copy of “The Coming Insurrection,” a pamphlet written by French direct action proponents called the Invisible Committee.  Beck has referenced the book at least once before around the time of its U.S. publication.  And apparently he is well-acquainted with the ideas contained within, because he twists the book’s meaning to establish an umbilical cord of conspiracy between the Invisible Committee and Muslim extremists.  He’s presently so obsessed with this book that one might mistake it for a secret devotion to its philosophical position.

The Beck segment in question has the Minister of Propaganda holding a copy of “The Coming Insurrection” and stating:
        “I think it’s all part of ‘The Coming Insurrection.’  It’s easier to put pressure on us and the West if we can raise the price of oil, and have the fuel and food shortages that they now have in the Middle East…

Perhaps Beck has selective memory when it comes to the book, but as much as he likes to assume the mantle of a plain speaker, he’s no idiot.  He’s a savage manipulator of images and words.  The unholy child of Marshall McLuhan and the best example of what William S. Burroughs had imagined with his fear peddlers in the Reality Studios of “The Nova Express.”

read it all at the link NineBerry and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNOku6QP4UM

Reply #438 - February 02, 2011, 04:39 PM

A lot of people (also western journalists that are present in Cairo) are reporting that the people violently attacking the protesters are organized and probably act on orders by the government.

This is without doubt - they are plain cloths Markazi and other paid thugs - many with guns and knives and some even on horses and camels.

Mubarak is a complete bastard!
     Reply #439 - February 02, 2011, 04:57 PM

Many of those caught by the protesters have police ID cards.
     Reply #440 - February 02, 2011, 04:58 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/HosniMobarak  Tongue
     Reply #441 - February 02, 2011, 05:01 PM

The bastard wants to go with the blood of the people on his hands.
     Reply #442 - February 02, 2011, 05:01 PM

lol  Afro
     Reply #443 - February 02, 2011, 05:08 PM

lol

Starting tomorrow, you shall call me King Mobarak.
    6:49 PM Jan 28th via web

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #444 - February 02, 2011, 05:10 PM

I saw a television interview with Hamed Abdel-Samad, he's a German political scientist of Egyptian origin and currently in Egypt. He has confirmed that the protest is very secular, led by the "Facebook generation" and he has also confirmed that on Friday already, it was state security that violently disturbed the protest. He himself has been beaten by police in civilian clothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSdoewZQgA
     Reply #445 - February 02, 2011, 05:12 PM

Al-Jazeera are showing pictures of captured "Pro-Mubarak" Roll Eyes  supporters and the captors showing their confiscated police ID cards.
     Reply #446 - February 02, 2011, 05:16 PM

Hamed Abdel-Samad says, it is an insult to the Egyptians when the West and Israel are afraid of a democratic Egypt. He says, there is no reason for any fear.
     Reply #447 - February 02, 2011, 05:26 PM

Mubarak has now made it inevitable that he will have to face a trial for his crimes.
     Reply #448 - February 02, 2011, 05:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHq9fESTiY

what is he talking??  i don't understand anything 
    http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/Serene_Jones/2011/02/it_could_happen_here_what_egypt_can_teach_america.html

What Egypt can teach America

Mike Huckabee, the conservative former Arkansas governor, this weekend said that he is concerned about Islam's role in Egypt's future. As On Faith panelist Reza Aslan this week noted, Huckabee has also called for Americans to "take this nation back for Christ" and, while running for president in 2008, declared that "what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards."

In America and in Egypt, should a majority religion inspire political life? How will Islam play a role in the struggles for democracy happening now in Egypt and other parts of the Muslim world?

Oh  isee, 
    that is what Egypt can teach to US of A??

Reply #449 - February 02, 2011, 06:45 PM

Blair: Mubarak ‘a force for good’

It seems President Hosni Mubarak isn't the only leader who has grown out of touch with ordinary people following an extended period in power. Tony Blair has praised the Egyptian dictator as a "force for good".

Read more: http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/74539,people,news,whats-the-problem-egypt-tony-blair-says-hosni-mubarak-a-force-for-good?DCMP=NLC-daily#ixzz1CpPU5Wii

• Previous page 1 ... 13 14 1516 17 ... 27 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »