Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think is the purpose of life ?

(Read 8612 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think is the purpose of life ?
     OP - January 22, 2011, 01:39 PM

Well, Google isn't much of a help here; I am specifically asking YOU guys: You, as you once were (devout) believers in Islam, and the comfort blanket which it accompanies. All the tiny details of your life, all how you had to think was all figured out by Mo (or better said: + the many 'ulema) and you used to accept it.
    So in particular " Wa maa khalaqtul jinne wal inse illa li ya'budoon" part.

I have a hard time dealing with the fact that, infact, this life, our planet etc is all so insignificant compared to the vast emptiness of space and time( humanity has been around like <0.01% of how long the universe exist). The idea that whether I was a good law-abiding optimistic person, or a depressed criminal has really 0 meaning to the universe.
    Infact, the majority of the people doesn't even CARE about WHY we exist, what there purpose/meaning is. They just eat, work, sleep, reproduce, and are more interested in finding friends/what's on telly tonight, and other simple stuff.

The Universe couldn't care less if we would blow ourselves up.
  • Re: What do you think is the purpose of life ?
     Reply #1 - January 22, 2011, 01:41 PM

Reproducing IS the meaning of life. Reproduce your DNA and your ideas, ensure intelligence persists until one day the human race can become immortal.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #2 - January 22, 2011, 01:46 PM

They just eat, work, sleep, reproduce, and are more interested in finding friends/what's on telly tonight, and other simple stuff.

You seem already to know the "purpose" of life, but it does not satisfy your expectations....

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #3 - January 22, 2011, 01:47 PM

Living is enough of a purpose , but like whar richard dawkins said its what you make of life . The fact that believers dedicate their entire life to worship is just sad , live life to the fullest its short make sure it is sweet!!!

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #4 - January 22, 2011, 01:56 PM

You select your own purpose, and I wouldn't want it any other way for my life.

Think about how you want to change the world with your life, and then get to work
     Reply #5 - January 22, 2011, 02:14 PM

The universe doesn't owe you a living. It was here first Tongue

Life is a wonderful thing even in its brutality at times. We give life meaning and it doesnt have to be something grand. It could be a small thing, waking up to see your children the next day, whatever. People who have some sort of purpose (s) in life live longer Smiley

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #6 - January 22, 2011, 02:23 PM

There is no grand purpose to life, you just live. 

I think most of us continue living in the hope that someday we might discover it's meaning.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #7 - January 22, 2011, 02:25 PM

There is no objective purpose of life. You can have your personal one, however
     Reply #8 - January 22, 2011, 02:38 PM

A common question asked by Muslims.  Even when you tell them what your purpose in life is they usually reply with... "Is that it?".  Even if your life is full of purpose.

Until you accept what they think your purpose in life should be (imitating a 7th century false prophet), they won't be satisfied.

Reply #9 - January 22, 2011, 02:59 PM

A common question asked by Muslims.  Even when you tell them what your purpose in life is they usually reply with... "Is that it?".  Even if your life is full of purpose.

Until you accept what they think your purpose in life should be (imitating a 7th century false prophet), they won't be satisfied.

Well anything beats their purpose in life

Quran 51:56 I only created .. humankind so that they might worship Me

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - January 22, 2011, 03:07 PM

Nice Avatar, Islame.
    Life's a continuum, it doesn't need a purpose other than to react with everything else.
    But subjectively, as someone else said, you can give it whatever purpose you want providing you don't harm anyone else (and that's not the purpose I'm proposing).

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #11 - January 22, 2011, 03:23 PM

Whose life?
     Reply #12 - January 22, 2011, 03:35 PM

42.  Tongue

I like donatelo's change-the-world vision.
     Reply #13 - January 22, 2011, 03:51 PM

Well anything beats their purpose in life

Quran 51:56 I only created .. humankind so that they might worship Me

Good example of megalomania! The amazing thing is many people accept this without question!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #14 - January 22, 2011, 04:15 PM

To be as negative as possible... I don't really think there is a purpose. I guess if there is one then it is to reproduce, as animals I think that is just instinctive.

To put yourself in the shoes of an animal, I tend to doubt whether they are capable of asking themselves these questions, and yet they have an instinctive "purpose" of reproducing.

But we humans who are capable of questioning these things probably like to attach purpose and substance to those big questions, I guess it makes us feel more comfortable.

Now, someone can create a purpose for themselves. They could say their purpose in life is to make a difference and whatnot, I'd agree. However, from a universal perspective, I don't think humans are any different in having a unique purpose.

And in being smart enough to question these things, we're also stupid enough to create invisible men in the sky...
     Reply #15 - January 22, 2011, 04:41 PM

I always found the question to be based on unjustified assertions, much like when someone says 'there must be something'  (No there doesn't, but it creates the mindset that there is and you haven't found it yet).
     Reply #16 - January 23, 2011, 02:35 AM

I think its great that life is a blank slate and you can choose your own purpose, you can either be a slob or be a great businessman, writer, actor, engineer, etc.
     Reply #17 - January 23, 2011, 11:03 AM

So donatelo, life is just a huge, ultra-realistic massive multiplayer online role playing game(mmorpg), right?
    And asking where your "character" goes after your account is deleted, is like asking where we go after our deaths, right?

To be honest, this comparison does make some sense! Tongue
     Reply #18 - January 23, 2011, 11:38 AM

lol

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - January 23, 2011, 12:18 PM

This is the purpose of life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc
     Reply #20 - January 23, 2011, 02:19 PM

The purpose of this life according to Islam is to:

- Increase the count of illiterate followers of Mohammed by utilization of uncontrolled reproduction.

- To promote and force gender segregation.

- To limit ability of Women to work and acquire education freely.

- (For Muslim Men) To do deeds on Earth to earn them virgin sexual partners in Heaven and avoid being pushed to Hell.

- (For Muslim Women) To be slave of their husbands, fathers and brothers to avoid burning in Hell, since Mohammed promises majority of dwellers of Hell will be women.

- To teach hatred of the dirty (Najis) people who do not believe in your Allah, your Prophet and your Quran.

- To propagate Islam to non-believers slyly by showing your good side to the non-Muslims.

- To marry as many women as legal under Islamic law to increase the side of the Ummah-e-Juhala.

The most merciful Allah, who is more merciful than your own mortal mother, is capable of punishing you for eternity for a finite sin committed in a finite lifetime with finite knowledge, while your mother nor any living creature that is NOT a sadistic mother fucker would never commit such an act.
     Reply #21 - January 23, 2011, 02:59 PM

Meaning/purpose?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgji3K_tLB0

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #22 - January 23, 2011, 03:08 PM

i think the entire question is wrong. there is no objective 'purpose' to life, so there can't be a single, all-encompassing purpose to our existence. rather the question should be what is YOUR purpose of life(if that sentence even makes sense).
     Reply #23 - January 23, 2011, 03:18 PM

I'm very much on board with the Pantheist/Buddhist idea that the universe is all interconnected, there is no supreme being, there are no moral absolutes. Therefore the question is misleading. There is no "me" and there is no "you", there is just energy (stream), we are all part of that energy. So for me, the only way to live is to acknowledge that we are all actually part of the same energy.

Morality, in the sense of ethics and so forth, are absolutely useless in my opinion, because as soon as you conceptualise morality you make it brittle and rigid, subject to contradictions, which is not (in my opinion) the way the universe works.
     Reply #24 - January 23, 2011, 04:21 PM

Ummah-e-Juhala.

I don't mind use of some Arabic words that every ex-Muslim should know, but do you have to use Urdu? зачем?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #25 - January 23, 2011, 05:47 PM

Religious words in majority-Muslim languages are Arabic anyway ALM. There are just a few exceptions, in which case they are Persian words( namaz, abdest, bayram etc)
    The only non-arabic there is the usage of the persian Izafe (which works similar like the one in arabic)
     Reply #26 - January 23, 2011, 05:54 PM

So? Do I expect everyone on an English speaking forum to learn all the languages I speak?

From Dictionary.com: izafe - no dictionary results

I am saying let's use words that are in English dictionaries or are understood by majority ox ex-Muslims around the world. Stop being parochial, there's no excuse for using the language of your village here.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #27 - January 23, 2011, 07:02 PM

If you think it's bad here, you should pay a visit to an Islamic forum.

What the hell is an 'ijtema'?
     Reply #28 - January 23, 2011, 07:09 PM

To be fair, english is a hideously limited and overrated language. Although I only have a 4-year-old's grasp of Arabic (probably not even) I know that Arabic is a much more logical and expressive language. I hate to say it but it's true. I'm talking about modern standard Arabic not old-school Qur'anic arabic.
     Reply #29 - January 23, 2011, 08:42 PM

I don't mind use of some Arabic words that every ex-Muslim should know, but do you have to use Urdu? зачем?

Zachem in Russian means what for?

Those Urdu words are borrowed from Arabic. It means Nation of Ignorants.

The most merciful Allah, who is more merciful than your own mortal mother, is capable of punishing you for eternity for a finite sin committed in a finite lifetime with finite knowledge, while your mother nor any living creature that is NOT a sadistic mother fucker would never commit such an act.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »