Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think is the purpose of life ?

(Read 8619 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: What do you think is the purpose of life ?
     Reply #30 - January 23, 2011, 08:47 PM

To be fair, english is a hideously limited and overrated language. Although I only have a 4-year-old's grasp of Arabic (probably not even) I know that Arabic is a much more logical and expressive language. I hate to say it but it's true. I'm talking about modern standard Arabic not old-school Qur'anic arabic.

Interesting. How is Arabic more 'logical' than English?
     Reply #31 - January 23, 2011, 08:49 PM

The purpose is to make music.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #32 - January 23, 2011, 08:50 PM

Arabic and other languages may be more expressive than English (even though English has the biggest vocabulary ever), but they are certainly not more logical... English is perfect for a second language since it's grammar is pretty easy and logical.. The only problem in english is the spelling... Slavic languages, Albanian etc write the way they speak and there is nothing left to the imagination like in english (Knight, Night, Drought, neighborhood  etc)

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #33 - January 23, 2011, 09:48 PM

If you think it's bad here, you should pay a visit to an Islamic forum.

What the hell is an 'ijtema'?

Consensus.
    And for those ones here whining about the usage of Arabic words in this forum: These are words any Muslim (or ex Muslim for that matter) should know. In case you do not know them: Don't get upset when Muslims start the 'ol " you were never a real Muslim" shit.
     Reply #34 - January 23, 2011, 09:55 PM

Consensus.

I thought that was 'ijmaa3'?

Anyhoo, I agree with the use of Islamic (Arabic) terminology, as for one thing, Islam is loaded with it, and in many cases, in order to know what any given passage of Islamic literature is saying, you need to be down with the linguo. It's frequent usage allows one to become better acquainted with it.
     Reply #35 - January 23, 2011, 09:58 PM

Oh wait 
    ijtima should be "meeting" (?) then. Anyhow, a bit Islamic terminology is perhaps also to show the occasional Muslum lurking here to show " We did do our homework."
     Reply #36 - January 23, 2011, 09:58 PM

The purpose is to make music.

The purpose of Arabic is to 'make music,' you say? Is English necessarily so devoid of music? Well, perhaps it is by comparison to Arabic, but I was referring more to a linguistic logic, rather than a numinous one.
     Reply #37 - January 23, 2011, 10:53 PM

Well, Google isn't much of a help here; I am specifically asking YOU guys: You, as you once were (devout) believers in Islam, and the comfort blanket which it accompanies. All the tiny details of your life, all how you had to think was all figured out by Mo (or better said: + the many 'ulema) and you used to accept it.
    So in particular " Wa maa khalaqtul jinne wal inse illa li ya'budoon" part.

I have a hard time dealing with the fact that, infact, this life, our planet etc is all so insignificant compared to the vast emptiness of space and time( humanity has been around like <0.01% of how long the universe exist). The idea that whether I was a good law-abiding optimistic person, or a depressed criminal has really 0 meaning to the universe.
    Infact, the majority of the people doesn't even CARE about WHY we exist, what there purpose/meaning is. They just eat, work, sleep, reproduce, and are more interested in finding friends/what's on telly tonight, and other simple stuff.

The Universe couldn't care less if we would blow ourselves up.

I would love there to be a meaning to life. Right now I see none. Let me know if you find one.
     Reply #38 - January 23, 2011, 10:56 PM

" Wa maa khalaqtul jinne wal inse illa li ya'budoon"

BTW and that is supposed to give our lives meaning?

"Yesum sir we here to please maser!"
     Reply #39 - January 23, 2011, 11:17 PM

The question of meaning is one that plagues the resurrection-men too. Consider that if a meaningful existence can only be externally conferred, that is to say if one needs another being to imbue one's life with significance, the question arises what is God's object in life? Who gives him purpose? By that train of thought, God's life is empty as a seashell. But if as the godless maintain, that significance may be internally derived, the problem is resolved.

The question of a grand cosmic purpose is independent of whether a Skydaddy sits above the clouds. Even granting his existence, man still has to ground his existential quest in something quite other than God. Have you read Bertrand Russell's essay: A Free Man's Worship? A meditation on the object of life in a cosmos boundlessly vast in which man shall wander but a moment and, wearied and fatigued, finally to perish. Unbeatable.
     Reply #40 - January 23, 2011, 11:18 PM

Whats the purpose in life of someone that is blown up by a suicide bomber?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - January 23, 2011, 11:19 PM

Interesting. How is Arabic more 'logical' than English?

Grammatically speaking.
     Reply #42 - January 23, 2011, 11:39 PM

The question of a grand cosmic purpose is independent of whether a Skydaddy sits above the clouds

Is it? Please explain?
     Reply #43 - January 23, 2011, 11:57 PM

^ The faithful contend that God imbues significance into the cosmos. The tacit assumption here is that meaning can only be conferred by an external agent, that a man can't derive purpose internally from within. If so, the question is who confers purpose on God's life? By that token, nobody. So God's life is void of meaning.

It is transparent that a resurrection-man cannot accept that conclusion, a conclusion grounded upon the principle that significance may only be externally derived. So the faithful, like the Eternally Damned, are left to quest for meaning independently of God. His existence has no bearing on the question of the life well lived.
     Reply #44 - January 24, 2011, 12:06 AM

The purpose of Arabic is to 'make music,' you say? Is English necessarily so devoid of music? Well, perhaps it is by comparison to Arabic, but I was referring more to a linguistic logic, rather than a numinous one.

No, that was my answer to the original question of the purpose of life. I don't know enough Arabic to compare it to English Smiley

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #45 - January 24, 2011, 12:16 AM

this poem would make me want to be a better muslim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAu4kgle_Dk

not Shakespeare but the video looked nice lol

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #46 - January 24, 2011, 12:46 AM

Submission,submission,.................. finmad

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #47 - January 24, 2011, 09:56 AM

This is the purpose of life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

You beat me to it.

Oh well, here are the words it was inspired by instead:

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes,
    to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”
    ~ Genghis Khan ~

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #48 - January 24, 2011, 11:26 AM

jingiz (genghis) rulez! All praise to the great Blue Wolf!

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #49 - January 24, 2011, 11:31 AM

You beat me to it.

Oh well, here are the words it was inspired by instead:

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes,
    to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”
    ~ Genghis Khan ~

He became a Muslim and revolutionized Islam's conquering techniques!  Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #50 - January 24, 2011, 11:33 AM

nah jingiz died a heathen... his offspring that was in Islamic regions got Muslim but those that remained in China and Mongolia continued  Animism/Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism

Reply #51 - January 24, 2011, 11:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbsttn8uxU

Reply #52 - January 27, 2011, 02:10 AM

He is one the most iconic badasses in history. A hard-as-nails, shit-wrecking motherfucker.

Apparantly, he was born holding a blood clot in his clenched fist, an omen that he would be a great warrior in life. Assuming it was true, I wonder how much of an effect these kind of prophecies have on peoples fate. A self-fulfilling prophecy maybe.

Reply #53 - January 27, 2011, 02:14 AM

What do you think is the purpose of life?

Here's a few collected quotes of Einstein:

The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful. Life is sacred, that is to say, it is the supreme value, to which all other values are subordinate.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.

One of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought.

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us 'universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

001_wub

Reply #54 - May 21, 2012, 03:14 PM

Those are really good quotes, Ishina  Afro

It was nice reading people's thoughts on this question.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #55 - May 21, 2012, 03:18 PM

To live, I think. Does it really have to have a purpose? We try and make sense of things because we're scared of the unknown. Maybe some things just don't make sense?

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #56 - May 21, 2012, 03:28 PM

Reply #57 - May 21, 2012, 03:32 PM

I think the only purpose to life is the purpose you apply to it.  I don't believe there is some cosmic destiny godly purpose to it, just what you make of it.

if you think your purpose is to procreate and leave mini yous behind then that is your purpose, if it's to leave a legacy of change behind, make your mark on the world, be written in history, that is your purpose.

My purpose is to just keep on living, keep on trying, not even to leave my mark on the world, but to leave a positive mark on my children and hopefully find a sense of inner peace before I bow out of here.

Used to want to change the world, now I just want to change my inner world.  That's my purpose, to find peace. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #58 - May 21, 2012, 03:39 PM

I think it's hugely important to have a purpose in life, not that it has to be the same for everybody. The hard thing is figuring out that purpose and direction that would make you the happiest/content with your life. I think for some the purpose becomes a default though they don't even realise it, for others it changes and some lose it etc.

I think children are happy, in the general, because they don't look for purpose, but when you get older and become part of the bigger society without having a sense of purpose it can become an overwhelming place.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #59 - May 21, 2012, 03:42 PM

I agree with the sket. Tongue

I'd appreciate if you stopped using the word sket. 

I don't think using words like ho and slag, or slut are buddy words to throw around.  Please refrain from using it from now on.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »