Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pakistan's Punjab Governor assassinated

(Read 64603 times)
  • 12 3 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pakistan's Punjab Governor assassinated
     OP - January 04, 2011, 09:23 AM

I was just reading this on the BBC website. The governor of Pakistan's biggest province Salman Taseer has been assassinated, and the speculation is that it is because of his opposition to the blasphemy law.

Then it clicked that this is the man who was the father of Aatish Taseer, an Indian writer who I have discussed and mentioned here before. He wrote a book about his rejection of Islam, and his impressions of Pakistan (Ziauddin Sardar hated it)

http://www.aatishtaseer.com/

He has also written some great stuff for Prospect magazine.

Anyway, RIP to his dad.

++++++++

Punjab governor Salman Taseer assassinated in Islamabad

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool: "Police say it was one of his own security force that shot him"

The governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, has died after being shot in the Pakistani capital Islamabad.

Mr Taseer, a senior member of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP), was shot in a popular shopping district of the city by a member of his own security detail.

He was taken to hospital where he died from his injuries.

His alleged assassin has been arrested.

Mr Taseer had recently spoken out against the country's blasphemy law, prompting protests by Islamists.

Salman Taseer was politically close to President Asif Ali Zardari The BBC's Aleem Maqbool, in Islamabad, says Mr Taseer was one of Pakistan's most important political figures and his death will further add to instability in the country.

The PPP-led government is facing a crisis that erupted after a coalition partner quit.

A witness at the scene said Mr Taseer was shot as he was getting out of his car at Kohsar Market, a shopping centre in Islamabad popular with Westerners and wealthy Pakistanis.

"The governor fell down and the man who fired at him threw down his gun and raised both hands," Ali Imran told Reuters news agency.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik said: "The police guard who killed him says he did this because Mr Taseer recently defended the proposed amendments to the blasphemy law.

"This is what he told the police after surrendering himself."

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani condemned the assassination and ordered an immediate inquiry into the killing.

The PPP has said it will observe two weeks of mourning over the assassination of Mr Taseer.

Pakistan has seen a wave of attacks by Islamists in recent years, including the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12111831

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Re: Pakistan's Punjab Governor assassinated
     Reply #1 - January 04, 2011, 09:46 AM

via twitter on which this is trending, someone has set up a page on facebook for Mr Taseer's killer, people leaving messages calling him a hero

http://www.facebook.com/Malik.Mumtaz.Qadri?v=wall

God is Love.

Reply #2 - January 04, 2011, 09:48 AM

If you look at the people on that facebook page celebrating his murder, there are young men who look westernised in their clothes and style etc etc

God is Love.

Reply #3 - January 04, 2011, 09:55 AM

Another politically motivated assassination in Pakistan  Roll Eyes
     Reply #4 - January 04, 2011, 10:00 AM

Another politically motivated assassination in Pakistan

Except he was assassinated by one of his security detail because he criticised the blasphemy laws and supported the Christian woman who is under death sentence. Take a look at the facebook page set up in honour of his killer. So it was a religiously motivated assassination.

Having said that, religion and politics are so intertwined in Pakistan that its almost impossible to gauge where one begins and where the other ends. Something that is the case elsewhere too.

God is Love.

Reply #5 - January 04, 2011, 10:06 AM

I think that is why she had the rolly eyes.  Roll Eyes

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #6 - January 04, 2011, 10:11 AM

Except he was assassinated by one of his security detail because he criticised the blasphemy laws and supported the Christian woman who is under death sentence. Take a look at the facebook page set up in honour of his killer. So it was a religiously motivated assassination.

Having said that, religion and politics are so intertwined in Pakistan that its almost impossible to gauge where one begins and where the other ends. Something that is the case elsewhere too.

He probably supported her to gain popularity amongst the youth. NO pakistani politician has done anything to reverse the islamic shit done by general zia, when benazir bhutto was in power, I'm pretty sure she didnt do ANYTHING to improve womens or minorities rights and I'm sure these pricks (from the same party) won't do anything either.
     Reply #7 - January 04, 2011, 10:25 AM

He probably supported her to gain popularity amongst the youth.

Yeah, that worked out well  Roll Eyes

But he was still murdered for religious reasons.

Here's an article from earlier in the year where he was warning about the entrenchment of jehadis in his province.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/29/pakistan-punjab-taliban?INTCMP=SRCH

And that is why its so hard to stand up against the extremists in Pakistan. Which echoes everywhere else when you talk about extremist Islam.

God is Love.

Reply #8 - January 04, 2011, 10:34 AM

He probably supported her to gain popularity amongst the youth. NO pakistani politician has done anything to reverse the islamic shit done by general zia, when benazir bhutto was in power, I'm pretty sure she didnt do ANYTHING to improve womens or minorities rights and I'm sure these pricks (from the same party) won't do anything either.

May I point out Sherry Rehman, I never knew the guy before his stance for Asia Bibi but right now I feel numb, want to cry for this fella' and I feel ashamed that I relate to the country where things like this happen

"Religion is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking" Bill Maher
     Reply #9 - January 04, 2011, 10:36 AM

And that is why its so hard to stand up against the extremists in Pakistan. Which echoes everywhere else when you talk about extremist Islam.

Any Us plans to liberate Pakistan like they did for Iraq. I am up for it

Reply #10 - January 04, 2011, 10:42 AM

^ You fucking what? Tell you what why don't you go and be 1 of the 170+ million facing aerial bombardment you fucking prick? And btw, in case you didn't know the 'liberation' of Iraq has made it more religious, in fact the people in charge of Iraq today were once called 'terrorists' when they liked blowing up Americans in kuwait. 
     Reply #11 - January 04, 2011, 10:43 AM

Yeah, that worked out well  Roll Eyes

But he was still murdered for religious reasons.

Here's an article from earlier in the year where he was warning about the entrenchment of jehadis in his province.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/29/pakistan-punjab-taliban?INTCMP=SRCH

All the groups mentioned in that article were created/assisted by the pak state. I guess the chickens are coming home to roost.  whistling2
     Reply #12 - January 04, 2011, 10:44 AM

^ You fucking what? Tell you what why don't you go and be 1 of the 170+ million facing aerial bombardment you fucking prick? And btw, in case you didn't know the 'liberation' of Iraq has made it more religious, in fact the people in charge of Iraq today were once called 'terrorists' when they liked blowing up Americans in kuwait. 

I was being sarcastic

Reply #13 - January 04, 2011, 10:47 AM

Ahh right, sorry  Smiley Even if they wanted to occupy Pakistan, they couldn't, they can't even subdue a bunch of illiterate afghans  Cheesy
     Reply #14 - January 04, 2011, 10:47 AM

All the groups mentioned in that article were created/assisted by the pak state. I guess the chickens are coming home to roost.  whistling2

The roosting chickens kill innocent people, not those responsible for creating them.

God is Love.

Reply #15 - January 04, 2011, 10:49 AM

That is such horrible and that is exactly what Muslim baboons did since the death of Muhammad(if he was real)., The problem is very few Muslims and non-Muslim understood Islam including  Salman Taseer  rest in peace Mr. Salman ., You were a good man..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQbo2Id3ZzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6dETyxLs3I

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #16 - January 04, 2011, 10:52 AM

The roosting chickens kill innocent people, not those responsible for creating them.

they do to be honest, just imagine how many high profile killings have you seen in Pakistan I bet all are some how connected to this stupid hot wiring of religion with politics and when doing that start from Ayub

Reply #17 - January 04, 2011, 10:53 AM

Salman Taseer interview - Rana Mubasher - Mar 9, 2010 .,

These fools Sharif brothers ruling Punjab for the past 15 years  simply supported rogue Muslims since they joined in politics..  What Musharraf did to these fools was good although it was illegal in a democratic government

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY0b4VW1XkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDO18WIddQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1V7mn67qo

Reply #18 - January 04, 2011, 10:55 AM

Pakistan Governor Punjab Salman Taseer Killed in Gun fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUirAbbFIGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqX_HCbWu5c

Reply #19 - January 04, 2011, 10:56 AM

they do to be honest, just imagine how many high profile killings have you seen in Pakistan I bet all are some how connected to this stupid hot wiring of religion with politics and when doing that start from Ayub

OK, but the truth is that the majority of their victims are just the common man and woman, right? That was the general point I was making.

God is Love.

Reply #20 - January 04, 2011, 10:58 AM

Salman Taseer interview - Rana Mubasher - Mar 9, 2010 .,

These fools Sharif brothers ruling Punjab for the past 15 years  simply supported rogue Muslims since they joined in politics..  What Musharraf did to these fools was good although it was illegal in a democratic government

+1 and I will point out here the majority with which nawaz won his 1997 election points out the current trend of Pakistan which I am sure if he is allowed to go free, he will do it again

Reply #21 - January 04, 2011, 11:00 AM

Salman Taseer Apparently Killed Because of Stance on Pakistan's Blasphemy Law

Arrested Pakistani police guard, right, sits in a police van at the site of a fatal attack on Salman Taseer, the governor of Pakistan's most politically important province Punjab.  

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/04/salman-taseer-apparently-killed-because-of-stance-on-pakistans/

Reply #22 - January 04, 2011, 11:01 AM

OK, but the truth is that the majority of their victims are just the common man and woman, right? That was the general point I was making.

Definitely with you on that one, but his guard and all those stupid suicide bombers are also common man and women but they are being tied into this stupid Matrix of Islam further and deeper, And I do not know where the hope is. IT DEFINITELY NEED TO END SOME HOW

Reply #23 - January 04, 2011, 11:12 AM

My brother's facebook status, I seriously want to cry

"governer punjab kutta mar gaya hai we should celebrate this(and award the ellite commando with a medal of pride for the republic of pakistan)"

Reply #24 - January 04, 2011, 11:14 AM

It is tragic  Tragic lives in Islam and it is worse if the family still keeps in touch with their history and some are Muslims and some are not..

Somewhere Salman Taseer’s Son Aatish Taseer  wrote after moving out of Pakistan living in London..
     Aatish Taseer  is a  30year old son of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, who is a journalist and lives in London, has written a book,. The book, titled “Stranger to History: A Son’s Journey through Islamic Lands”, is about to be launched in London in a week and in India a few weeks later. Indian magazine “Outlook” has acquired the rights to the book and as a gesture of friendly cooperation, the magazine has agreed to share their breaking story about the book with The News.  

Aatish has also been interviewed by the Outlook magazine, which says the book is ready to roll and Aatish is on the brink of entering a heady world of book launches and international book tours. It has been published by the Picador India. According to the Outlook, the book is a fictional version of Aatish’s dramatic life story. Briefly, the story is this: “A short, intense relationship between a Pakistani politician, Salmaan Taseer, and an Indian journalist, Tavleen Singh, produces a child. As the relationship founders, the father (according to his son’s account) abandons the mother and the infant in London.

They move to Delhi, where the boy, Aatish, grows up in an elite Sikh family, but with an awareness of being ‘different’ because of his Muslim and Pakistani ancestry. “Twice in his childhood, he makes long-distance overtures to his father, but is rebuffed. In 2002, at the age of 21, he tries again, by simply landing up in Lahore, and meets with greater success. Salmaan’s political career has waned — the military rules; his party’s boss, Benazir Bhutto, is in exile — but he is, by now, a wealthy businessman and a media tycoon, with an elegant third wife and six other children.

“Relatives and family friends, who have known about Aatish for years, help him find a way into Salmaan’s life. So begins a father-son relationship that is, by no means, easy. And so dies a novel.

“There is this extraordinary story, but what does it mean? It’s not everybody else’s,î Aatish said, while looking back on his struggles five years ago to write that autobiographical novel.“Then came a turning point. In 2005, Aatish, now a journalist living in London, wrote for a UK magazine on the radicalisation of the British second-generation Pakistanis, making the unexceptionable liberal argument that it was linked to failures of identity on different fronts. Chuffed by his first cover story, he sent it to his father, to whom he now felt closer — and was shocked to receive a furious reply, accusing him, among other things, of blackening the family name by spreading ‘invidious anti-Muslim propaganda’.

“The accusations set off a storm of reactions in Aatish, from hurt and defensiveness to confusion and curiosity. How was his father, who (as he was to recount in his book) drank Scotch every evening, never fasted and prayed, even ate pork and once said: ‘It was only when I was in jail and all they gave me to read was the Quran.....(This portion of the text has been deleted as it was deemed unprintable.)

Defending his controversial decision to lay bare personal relationships and conversations, Aatish said it came from his conviction, after the letter incident, that “the personal circumstances contained a bigger story.” He, however, acknowledged that the writing of the book was also a way to overcome the despair he felt at having his relationship with his father suddenly run aground again — “a way to make my peace with that personal history.”

The memoir is a journalist’s engaging travelogue. But where the political and personal come together powerfully is in the last third part of the book, which finds Aatish in Pakistan among the Pakistanis.

Personal disappointment fuses with intellectual outrage in his searing final encounters with his father. And as a traveller trying to make sense of the broken pieces of his own ancestry, he takes political discoveries personally. He is wounded by reflexive anti-Indianism, which he encounters widely in Pakistan, and particularly among the youth.

The book quite clearly rejects the idea of Pakistan (while tacitly endorsing the idea of India), but Aatish still seems to be trying to keep the two. “I hope for this to be a book for Pakistan (though) I know that is a very naive thing to say—Neither with my father, nor with Pakistan, was it written to settle any scores. I hope that despite what looks like a bleak look at Pakistan, it is possible to see a genuine concern and affection for the place.”

The Outlook said the personal story of Aatish, meanwhile, had acquired new twists. Salmaan Taseer, with whom he has had no contact for the past 15 months — though he hears he is upset by news of his book — has been resurrected in the topsy-turvy world of Pakistani politics.

About six months ago, he became the Punjab governor. It is a ceremonial role, but since the dissolution of the Shahbaz Sharif government in the Punjab, the man wields real power — and controversially.

“The timing of the book is slightly insane,” he said, laughing uncertainly. “I wouldn’t have wished for it. He was just a businessman, and that was good enough for what I had to say. He didn’t need to be the governor of the Punjab.”

Is he prepared to lose the relationship with a book like this, coming especially at a sensitive time? “Whether I wrote the book or not, I am definitely pretty much persona non grata,” he said. But then he added: “My father is a bright, intelligent man, and well read. I hope he understands some day.”

Following is an extract of the book: “I had begun my journey asking why my father was Muslim, and this was why: none of Islam’s once powerful moral imperatives existed within him, but he was Muslim because he doubted the Holocaust, hated America and Israel, thought Hindus were weak and cowardly, and because the glories of the Islamic past excited him.

“The faith decayed within him, ceased to be dynamic, ceased to provide moral guidance, became nothing but a deep, unreachable historical and political identity. This was all that still had the force of faith. It was significant because in the end, this was the moderate Muslim, and it was too little moderation and in the wrong areas. It didn’t matter how someone prayed, how much they prayed, what dress they wore, whether they chose to drink or not, but it did matter that someone harboured feelings of hatred, for Jews, Americans or Hindus, that were founded in faith and only masked in political arguments.”

“I rose to leave the room. It was if a bank had burst. My father and I, for the first time, were beyond embarrassment. I returned a few moments later to say goodbye to him, but he had left for the day without a word. The now empty room produced a corresponding vacancy in me that was like despair. I wanted somehow to feel whole again; not reconciliation, that would be asking too much, just not this feeling of waste: my journey to find my father ending in an empty room in Lahore, the clear light of a bright morning breaking in to land on the criss-crossing arcs of a freshly swabbed floor.

“As the crow flies, the distance between my father and me had never been much, but the land had been marked by history for a unique division, of which I had inherited both broken pieces. My journey to seek out my father, and through him, his country, was a way for me to make my peace with that history. And it had not been without its rewards. My deep connection to the land that is Pakistan had been renewed. I felt lucky to have both countries; I felt that I’d been given what partition had denied many. For me, it meant the possibility of a different education, of embracing the three-tier history of India whole, perhaps an intellectual troika of Sanskrit, Urdu and English.

“These mismatches were the lot of people with garbled histories, but I preferred them to violent purities. The world is richer in its hybrids.

“But then there was the futility of the empty room, rupture on rupture, for which I could find no consolation, except that my father’s existence, so ghostly all my life, had at last acquired a gram of material weight. And, if not for that, who knows what sterile obsessions might still have held me fast?”

Very good book to read.. and here is Aatish

http://blogs.epicindia.com/leapinthedark/2010/02/book_review_stranger_to_histor.html

The moment some males in the family become  Muslims for one or other reasons.,  your  whole fucking past identity is DEAD/Killed/Murdered/Butchered.  Now on you will be a fucking robot bending towards Arabian desert with the head in the sand..

Reply #25 - January 04, 2011, 11:16 AM

"governer punjab kutta mar gaya hai we should celebrate this(and award the ellite commando with a medal of pride for the republic of pakistan)"

There's a facebook page I posted above that has been set up for the assasssin, have you seen it? Some of the guys posting on it aren't bearded Salafi looking types, they are modern, western looking, fashionable clothes etc

God is Love.

Reply #26 - January 04, 2011, 11:20 AM

There's a facebook page I posted above that has been set up for the assasssin, have you seen it? Some of the guys posting on it aren't bearded Salafi looking types, they are modern, western looking, fashionable clothes etc

Yeah I have seen the page and nor is my brother that type. pretty much a regular spoiled lad but some thing switches in there brains when it comes to Muhammad all reason go to sleep.

Reply #27 - January 04, 2011, 11:22 AM

Modern Islamists billy, that's how the ISOC guys are.  Don't judge a book by its cover  Smiley
     Reply #28 - January 04, 2011, 11:24 AM

If Pakistan Government has any one who has balls these BLASPHEMY LAWS MUST BE ERADICATED., any one who opposes such rules should be put in to   a place where only DOGS LIVE.. they all should locked up in to dog house..

Look at these faces who looks like Kutta..

That  face or these  DOGS...??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ6x6h-1ilo

They bark like Rabid dogs..

Reply #29 - January 04, 2011, 11:27 AM

Modern Islamists billy, that's how the ISOC guys are.  Don't judge a book by its cover

I often judge a book by the cover but allow for the possibility of it being a different kind of read too.

The ISOC types I knew were / are very much in the mould of the beard.

God is Love.

• 12 3 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »