Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Salafi exploitation of young British Muslim Women

(Read 12332 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Salafi exploitation of young British Muslim Women
     OP - December 30, 2010, 11:02 AM

A marvellous, must-read article from The Spitoon.

Her insights into Birmingham salafis chimes with my own.

+++++++

The Salafi exploitation of young British Muslim Women

December 29, 2010

This is a guest post by Umm Amina – a former Salafi sister

In the year 2001 I contacted the ‘Salafi’ communities at their main headquarters in the UK as I was searching for a good Islamic community and sincere Muslims who would help me learn about Islam and take my studies further.  In  2004, disgusted by their behaviour, attitudes and bigotry, I left them for good.  In this article I want to share my first hand experiences to raise awareness about the way ‘Salafis’ use Islam to prey on young and vulnerable women.   Some people may find some of the contents of this article disturbing but I feel it is essential to bring them out if we are ever to recognise the damage being done by the so called Salafis.

I initially approached the Salafis in very high spirits.  In 2001 I was living in Birmingham, I had read some of their books and had a lot of hope in their dawah and community.  After contacting their headquarters I was introduced to other Muslim females who also wanted to study.  I studied with Salafi groups in the Midlands for around 18months. It was during the second year of my studies that I began to realise that their form of Islam had no place in British society.  They were teaching a separatist, isolationist and culturally backward form of religion. I was told I had to break all contact with my Sikh, Hindu and Jewish friends because they were cursed people and destined for Hellfire. Especially the Jews who were waging a war against humanity and specifically Islam.  We were instructed to read The Elders of the Protocols of Zion to understand Jewish plots.

Most of the people in the study groups were converts/reverts.   I was told by senior Salafi members that the majority of their recruitment took place in Prisons and brothel crowds because they were the easiest places to recruit from.  The Salafi males were told to target young Muslim girls by setting up stalls outside universities.  The Salafi females were taught to accept polygamy and discriminatory treatment from the males.  The behaviour of senior members was also despicable, all they were interested was in marrying multiple wives. Many of them regularly beat their wives and one of the reasons their wives covered their faces was because of bruises.  I remember one incident when a widowed Somali female married a Salafi Jamican convert.  He ended up raping her and also sexually abusing her three year son.  Some Salafi males would put the word out that they only wanted to marry females who would give them oral sex.  One Salafi convert even said that he wanted a female who would take part in threesomes involving his other wife.  Other incidents can be found here.  Salafis were told to shout ‘Islamaphobia’ if the Police ever tried to investigate any of their ‘community affairs’, I was told this was a tried and tested tactic that always worked.

The Salafis also took great pride in proclaiming that they were the only ‘true’ Muslims and would regularly insult other Muslims.  One Salafi leader once said in a public speech that he would rather spend the night with a paedophile then with an Ikhwani (non-Salafi) Muslim.  They also regularly cursed Sufi Muslims saying they were all sinners beyond help and were destined for hell.  Young Salafi men were encouraged to learn physical jihad and constantly had violence justified to them from warped religious teachings.

Disturbed by many of these incidents, when I tried to raise issues by posing questions and asking why things were the way they were, I was labelled and ostracised by the Salafi community and their leaders.  I was also bullied and threatened with being boycotted if I didn’t agree with them and follow them blindly. At the time I thought it was just the ignorant Salafis in Birmingham who were behaving like this and so I decided to relocate to another area.

In 2002 I moved to Luton and lived in the Bury Park area which also had a large Salafi community.  In Luton I wasn’t allowed to enter the Mosque because they believed females should only learn at home. I was also sexually harassed by one of their UK leaders and because I refused his advances I was insulted and slandered in front of other members of the Salafi community.  This was an extremely upsetting experience for me.  I eventually decided to write to one of the senior Salafi scholars ‘Sheikh Muhammad Abu Nasr’ (a student of Sheikh Albanee).  He was coming from Jordan on a lecture tour to the UK and I thought this was a good opportunity for me to raise my concerns and also to seek his advice.

I attended one of his lectures and I had put my questions to the Sheikh in written form because females were not allowed to ask questions directly at Salafi events.  To my disappointment I didn’t get any answers to questions.  From the Sheikhs attempted replies I realised that he didn’t have any insight at all regarding the situation of Muslim females in the UK.

In Luton most of the Salafi males were well known for marrying and then quickly divorcing their wives.   These wives would then be passed to other Salafi men who would do the same thing.  In some places the divorce rate amongst Salafis was shocking, it had reached such a height that it had become like ‘wife swapping’.  Some Salafi females I came across had been married and divorced five times in a very short space of time. Some of the married men also slept with non-Muslim women who they weren’t married to but said it was allowed because they saw them as slave girls. Some females left the community and moved on, others felt stuck and have remained married as the 3rd or 4th wife, treated badly with no rights.  Many Muslim women who’ve suffered at their hands have ended up with depression, schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. Most alarmingly this is all taking place in modern day Britain!

Conclusion

Salafis claim to be the only true Muslims who follow the way of the Salaf.  Every other Muslim is labelled as a sinner or innovator.  They expect members of their community to cover for their evil and despicable ways and prey on vulnerable people by hiding behind labels such as ‘Salafi Manhaj, JIMAS and Salafi Publications etc. Some of these groups also receive funding from the Home Office for their interventions work in prisons.

The Salafis are an evil group whose teachings and indoctrination is planned and funded by Saudi Arabia.   I have found them to be much more dangerous and cunning than even groups like Hizb-Ut-Tahrir and Al-Muhajiroun.  Some of them secretly support groups such as Al-Qaeda whilst others agree with violent Jihadist beliefs but believe they are not powerful enough yet to wage a war on Western countries.

I would like to encourage all Muslim females who are caught in their clutches and are being used/exploited by the so called ‘Salafi brothers’ to be brave and to not be scared of exposing them publically.  If we don’t start doing this now then more and more will continue to suffer at the hands of these evil and wicked people who are abusing the name of Islam.

http://www.spittoon.org/archives/8466

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Re: The Salafi exploitation of young British Muslim Women
     Reply #1 - December 30, 2010, 11:17 AM

Only to backwords Salafis could the term innovator be used as an insult

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
     Reply #2 - December 30, 2010, 02:29 PM

Salafi wife-swapping.  wacko

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #3 - December 30, 2010, 02:47 PM

That was just absolutely disgusting. When I was salafi my friend would tell me that people in Birmingham always got divorced . I'm just soo lucky I didn't get caught in that shit , this just saddens me so much :(  . She is right lots of people hide and try to pretend that they aren't extremists by calling them themselves "madkhali" salafis ect . I thought they were among the well more peaceful types of salafiyah . I guess i thought wrong . Why cant they just fucking run off to saudi or something (actually some of them did and came back loool!! )

I found out my favourite salafi speaker was thrown off the manhaj for going to the cinemas ahahahahaah !!!! another shaykh grassed on him

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #4 - December 30, 2010, 02:52 PM

Salafiyyah is a curse and effecting soo much of the youth . Especially the Somali community everybody fucking wears a jilaab or niqaab ! We were slowly ditching religion but thanks to assholes like hasan as somali we are mentally trapped . But thankfully the older generation of somalis don't trust salafis because they think everything they are doing is haram and they can't stand taking religious advice from younger people .

Something needs to be done about this NOW!

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #5 - December 30, 2010, 03:25 PM

Looks like the internet is proving to be Islam's nemesis! dance dance

Where are the jokers who claim "Islam liberates women"? finmad finmad

Oooops! few isolated incidents don't prove anything do they? Cheesy Cheesy

But if there's  a AK-56 that's easily available and a lot of retards around you surely can't expect them not to abuse it,can you?

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #6 - December 30, 2010, 03:51 PM

Damn, Salafis are getting more action than me!  wacko

Seriously, interesting read. Shame she is still Muslim and couldn't go all the way.
     Reply #7 - December 30, 2010, 03:56 PM

We were instructed to read The Elders of the Protocols of Zion to understand Jewish plots.

Doesn't this same book come standard in Saudi schools?

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #8 - December 30, 2010, 04:13 PM

i don't think they're explicitly told to set up outside of universities, most of them preach in those settings as they feel their peers are easier to get to. i remember preaching salafi islam at my school because i actually wanted my peers to accept this form as i saw no reason not to, and it was out of misguided love for my fellow human that i did so. of course, i say misguided as it entailed me hating the kuffaar secretly and wanting those who deliberately stray away from what i thought was absolutely true.

i think a lot of people misconstrue salafis as a group of intentionally malicious people, when they're actually not. they believe some sickening things and don't think twice about it as they think it's the word of a higher being, and this restricts their thinking within this box! some of my old salafi buddies in the mosque were lovely people and i genuinely think that many of them are not bad people, it's just if they read shit in the qur'an like 'beat your wives' then they're going to do it, as they think the qur'an/sunnah/hadith are the absolute bestowers of morality. it's an excitement more than anything, and it does need to be addressed.

as for this shit about wives, i have no clue what goes on as i never got old enough for that. thank goodness.

p.s: i brought this up in the cemb conference but i think the reason many people, whether it be roy adams or geert wilders, approach the concept of salafism in this manner is because they think this is purely a political issue. that simply incorrect, for salafis, political issues are a subset of religious issues, and they approach them with the same devotion and fervour. discussing politics with a salafi is the same as discussing fiqh, as politics is a PART of their fiqh. this is something i think lotsa people don't get, and that's why we've been approaching this all wrong.
     Reply #9 - December 30, 2010, 04:48 PM

i think the reason many people, whether it be roy adams or geert wilders, approach the concept of salafism in this manner is because they think this is purely a political issue. that simply incorrect, for salafis, political issues are a subset of religious issues, and they approach them with the same devotion and fervour. discussing politics with a salafi is the same as discussing fiqh, as politics is a PART of their fiqh. this is something i think lotsa people don't get, and that's why we've been approaching this all wrong.

Thats not just an issue for Salafis, its a thread that runs through Islamism and Islam in the modern world in general, this intertwining of religion, politics, and identity.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #10 - December 30, 2010, 05:20 PM

The browbeating is used a lot, along with completely obvious uses of social pressure, at least in the salafi forums I frequent.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #11 - December 30, 2010, 08:04 PM

i think a lot of people misconstrue salafis as a group of intentionally malicious people, when they're actually not.

+1  Afro A few months ago when I was learning about Islam, I got talking to this girl from saudi, she is what most people on here would call a 'salafi' or 'wahhabi' (hanbali to me) and she was like the most politest, kindest muslim I met!
     Reply #12 - February 14, 2014, 05:56 AM

Very disheartening article. I'm assuming none of the women contact police/social services because of fear of allah, brainwashing, community and stockholm syndrome?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #13 - February 14, 2014, 06:54 AM

Salafis claim to be the only true Muslims who follow the way of the Salaf.  Every other Muslim is labelled as a sinner or innovator.

Not only Salafis, there are many different sects of Islam who says that other Muslim believer are out of Islamic teachings

Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). (al-Baqarah 2:18)
     Reply #14 - February 14, 2014, 06:56 AM

Everyone has it wrong except me. Classic thinking.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #15 - February 14, 2014, 07:05 AM

Every individual have the right to believe in any religious belief system.

Reply #16 - February 14, 2014, 07:06 AM

That has nothing to do with the topic.

Reply #17 - February 14, 2014, 07:22 AM

I reply to your comments.."Everyone has it wrong..."

Reply #18 - February 14, 2014, 02:20 PM

Every individual have the right to believe in any religious belief system.

They have a right to believe. But beliefs can be wrong.
     Reply #19 - February 14, 2014, 02:47 PM

I agree

Reply #20 - February 14, 2014, 03:16 PM

Yes, like someone could believe the bullshit Salafi's spew out, but it does not make it right or true.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »