Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Petition thread

(Read 30569 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Petition thread
     OP - December 20, 2010, 06:07 PM

I thought we should have a thread for petitions, instead of just posting a thread for each petition on their own.

I am not sure about the effectiveness of petitions, especially e-petitions, but it's worth a shot. I debated this point with Amnesty International once upon a time and apparently it does actually help.

Anyway, here's one I was hoping people could take the time so sign, it's for the release of a former PhD student at my university who had to go back to Iran and ended up getting charged with some ridiculous charges and is now on Death Row. More details can be found on the page:

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/40162.html
    http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6160/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4449

Maybe we could keep this thread relatively clear of discussion, so the petitions are easy to see, and people can see when new petitions come up.
  • Re: Petition thread
     Reply #1 - December 20, 2010, 06:21 PM

One Law For All:
    We, the undersigned individuals and organisations, call on the UK government to bring an end to the use and institutionalisation of Sharia and all religious laws and to guarantee equal citizenship rights for all.
    Declaration
    Petition

Iran Solidarity:

Iran Solidarity has been formed to mobilise support and stand with the people of Iran against the Islamic regime of Iran.
    Petition

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - December 20, 2010, 07:49 PM

^Where are the petitions against the regimes in Saudi, Egypt etc.??
     Reply #3 - December 20, 2010, 07:50 PM

Post em, thamina. I'm sure they're out there.

fuck you
     Reply #4 - December 20, 2010, 08:06 PM

This is all I could find:

End Human Rights Abuses against Copts in Egypt

http://www.petitiononline.com/coptic/petition.html
     Reply #5 - December 20, 2010, 08:15 PM

^Where are the petitions against the regimes in Saudi, Egypt etc.??

Saudi Arabia Photo Petition
    The sustained assault on human rights in the name of security and fighting terrorism undertaken by the Saudi Arabian authorities is shocking, especially in view of this country’s significant power and influence on the political and economic world stage, playing a leading role in the Arab and Islamic worlds. We want to lift the veil and expose the human rights abuses.

Elbaradei for President, Egypt, 2011

Do you want someone else to post all the petitions on the interwebs for you, or are you capable of posting some yourself?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #6 - December 20, 2010, 08:26 PM

In case you didn't look properly, I did post a petition  Tongue
     Reply #7 - December 20, 2010, 08:32 PM

I think I'll sticky this so it doesn't get lost in the crowd.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #8 - December 20, 2010, 09:58 PM

Just wanted to know , how exactly do petitions help the cause for example countries like Iran , saudi ect

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #9 - December 20, 2010, 10:17 PM

They help people in power and other key decision-makers know that a lot of people are paying attention and care enough to at the very least put their name on a petition. How effective it is depends on what the other conditions are at the time. It's a weak action to be sure, but an action the vast majority of interested people can easily participate in and carries very little risk of backfiring or investment of resources. So it's not nearly enough, but it is worth doing in my opinion.

fuck you
     Reply #10 - December 21, 2010, 03:07 AM

I want to create a petition to ban the blasphemy law from the whole world. Your fukin religious figures are not my problem to respect. I want to make that statement in front of white house to stop aid to those countries who do not abolish blasphemy and apostasy laws. Religion should only be a personal relation to god, not state or court's business.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #11 - December 21, 2010, 03:21 AM

I want to make that statement in front of white house to stop aid to those countries who do not abolish blasphemy and apostasy laws.

Cheesy

You're funny.

Our government supports regimes just a few hours south of our borders by plane that massacre nuns, aid workers, priests, labor union leaders, opposition political activists, even bishops. And most of these countries don't have huge oil reserves. If you think our government would consider, even for a moment, making foreign policy decisions primarily on human rights concerns versus the interests of the empire and the big corporations, you're living in a dream world. That will only happen when the present system is no longer viable, either due to advanced imperial decay, revolution, or both. In other words, by the time that happens, we'll be in a volatile enough situation at home to where concerns over foreign matters will seem like a luxury.

fuck you
     Reply #12 - December 21, 2010, 09:17 PM

Fuck everything, everywhere, forever!!!!!!! finmad

On a side note, are there any petitions on pet ownership licensing laws for England? Smiley

Far too much mistreatment of Animals in this area (and lack of a role of 'owner' of pets)
    Every animal people have is just outside day and night wandering all over the entire town , even young and tiny ones on snow days  finmad

This also includes vicious looking dogs
     Reply #13 - December 22, 2010, 12:06 AM

^^ Again, it would be best if we could keep this thread for actual petitions and not waffle -- if you have a petition that you find important and pressing please post, but can we keep the rest clear? People's lives are at stake here, literally.
     Reply #14 - March 19, 2011, 02:31 AM

Another petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/twogirlsfightingfortheirfreedom/

Details in this thread: Pakistani atheist girls seeking help

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #15 - April 20, 2011, 01:26 AM

Take a minute to take action on behalf of Bahrani union activists:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f3995b46c18cb039818f29a32&id=59d70c8c43&e=7fa7dfebe5

fuck you
     Reply #16 - June 09, 2011, 07:46 PM

This is nothing to do with Islam, but I think its worth signing anyway.  A clear example of bullying from the Attorney General for Pennsylvania....

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/379/justice-for-13-yr-old-jordan-brown/

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #17 - June 09, 2011, 07:57 PM

One Law For All:
    We, the undersigned individuals and organisations, call on the UK government to bring an end to the use and institutionalisation of Sharia and all religious laws and to guarantee equal citizenship rights for all.

Signed the petition (and I never sign petitions).

Then noticed the date of the post. Whoops.
     Reply #18 - July 28, 2011, 12:49 AM

Hey I've just signed this one and suggest everyone else gets into it:

AVAAZ.org: UN recognition of the state of Palestine

I'm sick of the Israelis and Palestinians acting like idiots, and think it's high time the lot of them grew up and started acting like adults. Since they can't seem to figure it out themselves, having the UN give the issue a kick in the pants is probably the best option at the moment.

Sign dat bugger. yes

Reply #19 - July 28, 2011, 12:52 AM

Already did yesterday Tongue
     Reply #20 - July 28, 2011, 12:55 AM

Good. Tongue

Reply #21 - July 28, 2011, 07:17 AM

Thread split coming up.

K, new topic is here: Arguing about Israel/Palestine stuff (again)

Reply #22 - July 28, 2011, 02:35 PM

I'm not going near the other argument, but... I signed that petition before it was cool. cool2
     Reply #23 - July 28, 2011, 02:40 PM

Smiley

Hi
     Reply #24 - July 28, 2011, 02:43 PM

That goddamn emoticon keeps blinking at me. D:
     Reply #25 - July 28, 2011, 02:46 PM

LOL Sunbul! Smiley

I'm so happy you're so bright and cheery today (treading on thin ice, don't wanna trigger anything)

but me looooooves you hugs
     Reply #26 - July 28, 2011, 02:47 PM

Sunbul: You said that to me when we first met. I still have fond memories of that moment.

Hi
     Reply #27 - July 28, 2011, 02:52 PM

LOL Sunbul! Smiley

I'm so happy you're so bright and cheery today (treading on thin ice, don't wanna trigger anything)

but me looooooves you hugs

001_wub

@musivore: Ye gods, you just reminded me: it's been more than two months since I joined here. Wow.
     Reply #28 - August 04, 2011, 02:03 PM

Petition to retain the ban on Capital Punishment in the UK

If you live in the UK, please sign this petition to send a message to parliament that the vast majority of British citizens object to a return of the death penalty.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1090
     Reply #29 - August 04, 2011, 02:26 PM

Why would they be trying to bring it back? wacko
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »