Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
Today at 07:16 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 07:55 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
Yesterday at 04:01 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 04, 2024, 07:58 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are people leaving Islam faster than ever before?

(Read 17847 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Are people leaving Islam faster than ever before?
     OP - December 18, 2010, 01:44 AM

We seem to be getting lots of new members every few days. Would you say that people are leaving Islam faster than ever before, or is it just the same rate as people have historically been leaving Islam, its just that now with the internet and forums like this, they can be more vocal than before?
  • Re: Are people leaving Islam faster than ever before?
     Reply #1 - December 18, 2010, 01:52 AM

I have no good idea about the rest of your questions. Just this one: I'm sure the internet and forums like this do have a part in it. Of course they do, they give at least a few more possibilities to find out different views - and that's saying the least.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
     Reply #2 - December 18, 2010, 03:26 AM

I don't really think so. We are like very very few compared to the number of muslims in the world. Also a good number of forum members aren't from hardcore muslim background. Most of them had Christian or some other background in recent past.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #3 - December 18, 2010, 03:32 AM

We are also only a very small fraction of a very small fraction of a very small fraction of a very small fraction - Ex-Muslims, who are also in a position to post that they are ex-Muslims without repercussions, who also like forums in the first place, who also know this forum exists.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #4 - December 18, 2010, 05:02 AM

Well, think about it this way. If the false statement that says: "Islam is the fastest growing religion" was true, Islam would have been the number 1 religion in the world! It had 1400 years and still lagging behind Christianity.

Reply #5 - December 18, 2010, 05:04 AM

I would imagine the fastest growing group are the non religious, and that they are coming from all faith backgrounds.  So yes, people are leaving Islam, and all other religions, faster than before.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - December 18, 2010, 06:03 AM

IMO Islam fails to answer the important and proverbial questions. Humans have grown in intelligence and maturity that they feel they no longer can worship an entity which they infact should be baby-sitting.
     Reply #7 - December 18, 2010, 06:16 AM

When the death and shame taboos, and the tribal neurosis of Islam are challenged, eroded, or broken through, Islam falls down like a house of cards in a hurricane.

It will happen more and more in the West, despite the efforts of reactionary ummah identity politics to entrench the worst of Islam in societies like Britain, because of the ocean of individual conscience and secularism is too great. And if and when more and more ex Muslims find a voice, and the mainstream media and mainstream society supports those voices, it will happen more and more and more.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - December 18, 2010, 06:22 AM

I have no good idea about the rest of your questions. Just this one: I'm sure the internet and forums like this do have a part in it. Of course they do, they give at least a few more possibilities to find out different views - and that's saying the least.

A couple of posts I wrote in a similar debate in May and July:

ateapotist, just think about it.

When has there ever been in history before, a platform, and an ocean of open, free, transparent flow of information that can be used to directly challenge the precepts of Islam in such a devastating way, as exists now, with the world wide web, and other technologies?

And not only that, but one that by allowing anonymity, sidesteps the one thing that has prevented this from ever happening, that is, the omerta taboo of Islam, that those who are deemed traitors and dissenters and apostates are subject to being murdered, threatened, harassed and bullied relentlessly, coerced into silence by the most grinding series of punishing cogs imaginable, working on various levels upon the life, mind and soul of the dissenter?

Not only that, but when has there ever been before, ex Muslims in such numbers living in uniquely free societies like Britain, Europe, America, in which the rights of the individual are revered, in which freedom of conscience is equated with the very basic DNA of these cultures and societies, and in which a moral and ethical and philosophical framework exists for the expression of dissent from Islam?

Before, Islam protected itself in the crudest way. If it came into contact with a non Islamic society, things were framed in terms of Islam versus X. So it was Islam against Zoroastrianism, Islam against Christianity, Islam against Hinduism, and so on and so on. And Islam asserted itself on a platform of religion - its own fanatical virility could propagate itself because it made a fight on its own terms - cruedly speaking - we are right, you are wrong, we are believers, you are infidels, convert or die, or be persecuted, or if not, burn for eternity in hell. This was the level at which Islam engaged with the world.

But what does it do when the world it is enmeshed with doesn't care for religion, holds Islam to account for its own absurdities, cruelties, brutalities? When it comes up against not just a collective like itself, when it becomes a case of which religion screams loudest, but it is faced with the elevation and freedom of mind and soul that a society that priveliges the rights of the individual, the life of the mind, the honest criticism of organised religious dogma, the freedom to renounce religion, to be creative, to love music and laughter, to believe in the equality of men and women and people of all race, that nonchalantly laughs at Islams claims for itself, and relegates it to the same status as a Hare Krishna or Rastafarian?

Has Islam ever faced this condition before?

You know, the internet really is something that Islam has never faced before. One of the things it has allowed is the 1600 year death taboo on the criticism of Mohammad to be side-stepped in a very widespread and robust and fearless manner.

Its little-big things like this.......a thousand cuts.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - December 18, 2010, 06:42 AM

We seem to be getting lots of new members every few days. Would you say that people are leaving Islam faster than ever before, or is it just the same rate as people have historically been leaving Islam, its just that now with the internet and forums like this, they can be more vocal than before?

Yes, and I think the largely unrestricted internet will do the most damage.  Not only from a propoganda perspective, but from seeing the world as a global community.  Of course increased polarisation will result, so expect more suicide bombings.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - December 18, 2010, 07:21 AM

Yes, and I think the largely unrestricted internet will do the most damage.  Not only from a propoganda perspective, but from seeing the world as a global community.  Of course increased polarisation will result, so expect more suicide bombings.

Darkness before dawn - more bloodshed before we see a globally recognised reformed and secular version of Islam.

All thanks to this guy

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #11 - December 18, 2010, 07:28 AM

scuse my ignorance, but who's the glum looking dude in the photo?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - December 18, 2010, 07:41 AM

Tim Berners-Lee. He invented the world wide web.  grin12

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #13 - December 18, 2010, 09:45 AM

Ah, so he's not very important then  grin12  Typical of a British inventor though, he does the work, and some other nation cashes in.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - December 18, 2010, 09:46 AM

Who are British by the way?

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #15 - December 18, 2010, 09:47 AM

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal. 
     Reply #16 - December 18, 2010, 09:50 AM

Who are British by the way?

Beats me

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - December 18, 2010, 10:53 AM

I have heard from a few different sources (Muslim and non-Muslim) over the years that a good number (perhaps a majority) of the new converts in the US are out again in a rather short time. The term "revolving door" has been used.

I find this interesting, but have not seen any really good sources for this, so I am uncertain about this really being the case. But I will admit, it does explain some of the things I have seen and heard over the years.

Does anyone think there might be a similar dynamic happening in the UK ?

El bien mas preciado / es la libertad
    hay que defenderla / con fe y valor.
     Reply #18 - December 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

I have heard from a few different sources (Muslim and non-Muslim) over the years that a good number (perhaps a majority) of the new converts in the US are out again in a rather short time. The term "revolving door" has been used.

I find this interesting, but have not seen any really good sources for this, so I am uncertain about this really being the case.

its this islamic source that most cite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWekSVdTgUI

and apparently, again cacording to concerned Muslim sources, Islam is losing 6 million Muslims in Africa to Christianity every year

But I will admit, it does explain some of the things I have seen and heard over the years.

what have you seen?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - December 18, 2010, 12:34 PM

and apparently, again cacording to concerned Muslim sources, Islam is losing 6 million Muslims in Africa to Christianity every year
    what have you seen?

I have talked with some Muslims who (as individuals) noticed a steady stream of "converts" coming in, staying for a short period, and going inactive after a few months or years. I suppose it reminds me of similar patterns that arose periodically in my own church experience, making such stories ring true, in my ears at least. In addition, religion in America can be like the Platte river- "A mile wide, but an inch deep." And at times, we still manage to nearly drown ourselves in it.

But, being aware of my own biases (unintentional as they may be) and the unreliable nature of anecdotal evidence, I would love to see more information of a more objective nature than to simply rely on my own perceptions and experiences.

Reply #20 - December 18, 2010, 01:11 PM

Maybe there are more ex-muslims, but I think this is because more people are coming out. In the past, ex muslims used to keep it secret, now people are opening up.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #21 - December 18, 2010, 09:50 PM

I wanted to know where you got that statistic from , the one about 75% of converts leave Islam ...........just wanted to know before i start sharing that with people .

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #22 - December 18, 2010, 09:51 PM

Maybe there are more ex-muslims, but I think this is because more people are coming out. In the past, ex muslims used to keep it secret, now people are opening up.

That is an easily overlooked factor.

Reply #23 - December 18, 2010, 09:57 PM

I wanted to know where you got that statistic from , the one about 75% of converts leave Islam ...........just wanted to know before i start sharing that with people .

I am looking for his works, the video is a great start. You have to respect the man, it looks like he was trying to address an uncomfortable question head on.

(NOTE: Original post changed slightly to correct a markup error in the original)

Reply #24 - December 18, 2010, 10:24 PM

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-philadelphia/catholic-church-refuses-to-let-people-leave-the-church

The two faiths I was apart of: I was born Catholic, then I was Muslim. Ugh, seems they are the two evils of the same coin.

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #25 - December 18, 2010, 10:26 PM

I was really lucky in that my pastor was honest in this regard. He wasn't the type to pad the rolls.

Reply #26 - December 18, 2010, 10:29 PM

I dunno if I'm in the records. Nan said my baptism can't be taken back, I wonder if the Shahadah is the same way. If it is, I'm both Catholic and Muslim. ::shudders:: I hope not.

Reply #27 - December 18, 2010, 10:38 PM

grace walker
    Sunday, Nov. 28 4:06 PM

* Login or register to post comments

After converting to Catholicism, moving my kids into Catholic schools, going on to earn a graduate degree in theology, and changing careers to work for the Church; I got the shock of my life when I discovered the extreme denigration of women in the Church, today. I subsequently left my church career to work for the impoverished and finally wrote a book on why people leave the Catholic Church. I heard for years the sad and distressing stories of people leaving the Church and finally mustered the guts to write about it. My book title is Women Are Defective Males, the calculated denigration of women by the Catholic Church and its Disastrous Consequences Today. The main title is actually a quote by St. Thomas Aquinas! My book looks at the historical inaccuracies put forth by the Church from the early first centuries up and including today. When you start investigating the history of the Church as I did; you'll see things in an entirely different way and it will make sense to you why people continue to leave the Church. It was enlightening and cathartic for me to go through this experience.

From: http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/blog-post/kelly-jasper/2010-11-19/why-do-catholics-leave-church

I left Islam for a similar reason. Is Islam the same?

Reply #28 - December 19, 2010, 07:35 AM

I dunno if I'm in the records. Nan said my baptism can't be taken back, I wonder if the Shahadah is the same way. If it is, I'm both Catholic and Muslim. ::shudders:: I hope not.

Are you serious? why does a piece of paper matter?
  • Are people leaving Islam faster than ever before?
     Reply #29 - August 08, 2013, 08:05 AM

Are people leaving Islam faster than ever before? God I hope so. Quite amused non religious are now the third largest group.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »