Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Joha - Mulla Nasrudin Stories

(Read 14137 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Joha - Mulla Nasrudin Stories
     OP - December 06, 2010, 09:13 PM

I was looking up an old thread in the Archives about Joha Stories and thought that they really should be available on the current forum so here they are.

They are traditional stories found all over the Muslim world - the character is known as Mullah Nasrudin in India/Pakistan - Hoja or Khoja in Turkey - Joha in the Middle East and Goha in Egypt.

I used to collect Islamic folk tales when I was at Islamia School and turned some of them into short plays for children.
  • Re: Joha - Mulla Nasrudin Stories
     Reply #1 - December 06, 2010, 09:14 PM

One day Joha was walking in the Bazar with a large group of followrs. Whatever Joha would do his followers would immediately copy. For example: every few steps Joha would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling;

"Allahu! Allahu! Hu Hu Hu!"

His followers would stop and do exactly the same thing.

An old friend of Joha who was watching walked up to him and quietly asked 'what he was doing and who were all those people immitating his actions?' Joha explained that he is now a Sufi Shiekh and was teaching these people to reach enlightenment.

So the man asked;

"But Joha how do you know when your followers reach enlightenment?"

Joha replied;

"That's the easy part. Each morning I count my followers. Those who have left have reached enlightenment!"

Joha was being paid by the week for a job that was likely to stretch over several months. He approached the owner of the property and held up the money he'd been given. "This is two hundred Dinars less than we agreed on," he said.

"I know," the owner replied. "But last week I overpaid you two hundred Dinars, and you never complained."

Joha said. "Well, I don't mind an occasional mistake. But when it gets to be a habit, I feel I have to call it to your attention."

A bloody and ruthless conqueror once asked Joha:

"All the great Caliphs and Sultans of the Abbasids had honorific titles such as "God-Aided" (Al-Muwaffak) and "God-Guided" (Al-Rasheed) and "God-Empowered" (Al-Mu'tazz). What do you think my name should be?"

"God Forbid", replied Joha.

One of Joha's friends wanted to borrow his donkey for a day or two. But Joha did not want to lend out his donkey and so replied that someone had already borrowed it.

Just as Joha uttered these words, his donkey started braying in his backyard. Hearing the sound, his friend gave him an accusing look, to which Joha replied;

"What? Are you willing to take a donkey's word over mine!!??"

Joha was sitting on a river bank when someone on the other side shouted to him:

"Hey! how do I get to the other side?"

Joha stood up and shouted back;

"You're already on the other side!"

He then sat back down muttering to himself 'How stupid some people are !'

A Doctor, a Lawyer and a rich Merchant were all in the front row of the Grand Mosque. Each was deep in devotion and repentance, crying to their Lord of their lowly and unworthy state.

"I am unworthy, I am unworthy, I am unworthy!" Each one cried.

Just then, Joha, who was poor and dressed in filthy rags, walked in and saw them.

So he too walked to the front and began crying out, "I'm unworthy,, I'm unworthy, I'm unworthy!".

The Merchant looked askance towards the the Doctor and Lawyer and said disdainfully:

"Ha! Look who thinks he's unworthy!"

"Friends," announced Joha, "I have discovered the cause of all problems!"

Everyone was attentive.

"It is people providing 'solutions' "  continued Joha,

Once Joha's donkey died. Joha was grief stricken, was crying. He kept crying for days. On the 3rd day, the villagers got concerned. One of the said," Joha, even when your wife died last year, you did not cry so much! How can you cry this much for the loss of a donkey?"

Joha cried more and replied- "The grief of loosing my donkey is more! When my wife died, you people consoled me and found an other girl to marry. Now my donkey is dead;but, I am not seeing anyone consoling me and offering me a donkey!"

Once the mullah in the village passed away. So, the people in the village asked Joha to be the mullah. He was asked to lead the prayers. Part of the requirement was, Joha should talk about the Quran every Friday. But, Joha had not read Quran at all!

Friday came. Joha sat with the Quran. Every one was waiting with expectation. Joha asked-"How many of you know about Quran?'. About half of them raised their hands. Joha said," The ones do not know about Quran, please ask from the ones who know about Quran!"

The following week, the people were prepared for Joha's trick. Again this week, Joha asked,"How many of you know about Quran?'. no-one in the mosque raised their hands. So Joha said"well, none of you know about Quran. What is the point in talking about something when you have no idea about it?'

One day Joha was being a Qadi (Judge)

Two petitioners came to him. The first explained his point of view  convincingly. At the end Joha said: "You are right! I agree with you!"

Then the second petitioner came and explained everything convincingly from his point of view. At the end Joha said: "You are right! I agree with you!".

Joha's wife was beside him and said: "Joha! They can't BOTH be right!"

Joha turned to his wife: "You are right also!".

Joha was poor. One day he was standing at the market, no money in his pocket, patched up cloth, a foot wear that had seen better days. He noticed someone coming to the market on a fine horse, well dressed, expensive clothing, well fed frame. The stranger started extravagant purchases. Joha could not control his curiosity.

"who is this stranger?' asked Joha. One of the by stander replied," he is the servant of the sultan!".

Joha looked up to the sky and said," God, look at the Sultan's servant and look at your servant!"

Joha was approaching every one with a collection box saying he was collecting money for a needy person. Most people doled out some donation. One of them stopped Joha. "Joha, tell me, who is this needy person?" he asked. Joha replied," the needy person is none other than myself!"

The following month Joha appeared with the same collection box saying he was collecting money to help some one in debt. One person who donated last time said," Joha, I know your trick! You are going to say, you are collecting money to relieve your own debt!".

Joha said," no! this is not to relieve my debt!". But, this person has borrowed money from me!".

One day Joha borrowed a saucepan from his neighbour. He returned it a few days later with a little saucepan inside it.

"What is this?" asked his neighbour.

"Oh your saucepan gave birth to a baby while it was with me!"

"How marvelous!" said his neighbour.

The next week Joha borrowed the saucepan again but many weeks went by without him returning it. Eventually the neighbour came demanding his saucepan back.

Joha looked sad and said gravely: "I'm sorry but it died."

"What!" said his neighbour. "Saucepans cannot die!"

Joha replied: "Yet they can have babies?"

Joha was sitting in tea shop when a friend came excitedly to speak with him. “I’m about to get married and I’m very excited. Have you ever thought of marriage yourself?”

Joha replied, “I did think of getting married. In my youth in fact I very much wanted to do so and I went in search of the PERFECT WIFE. I traveled looking for her, first to Damascus. There I met a beautiful woman who was gracious, kind, and deeply spiritual, but she had no worldly knowledge. I traveled further and went to Isfahan. There I met a woman who was both spiritual and worldly, beautiful in many ways, but we did not communicate well. Finally I went to Cairo and there after much searching I found her. She was spiritually deep, graceful, and beautiful in every respect, at home in the world and at home in the realms beyond it.  I had found the perfect wife!”

His friend questioned him further, “Then why did you not marry her, Joha?”

“Alas,” said Joha as he shook his head

“She was, unfortunately, searching for the Perfect Husband.”
     Reply #2 - December 06, 2010, 10:03 PM

Mulla Nasrudin could supposedly see in the dark. However, one day a man saw him walking around in the dark with a lamp and he asks:
    "mulla, if you can see in the dark then what is the lamp for?"
    "So that others don't bump into me!"

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #3 - December 06, 2010, 10:56 PM

One day Joha was being an Imam when a man came to ask him about the correct Islamic procedure to follow when a dog has fouled a wall where prayers are made.

Joha replied that the wall must be destroyed and rebuilt and prayers offered and then destroyed and rebuilt 7 more times - each time reciting specific Du'a and Bukhur (incense) burnt so the smoke reaches every inch of the wall.

The man thanked Joha and was about to leave when he said:

"Oh by the way it is the wall between your house and your neighbour."

Joha grabbed him and said hurriedly:

"On second thoughts - just chuck a bucket of water over it!"
     Reply #4 - December 06, 2010, 11:05 PM

One day Joha was sitting at the gates of his village when a couple came to him and asked:

"We are thinking of moving to this place - what is it like?"

Joha asked them: "What was it like where you used to live?"

They replied: "Oh it was awful! The people were nasty, mean ignorant and greedy!"

Joha replied: "It is much the same here."

A short while later another couple came to him and asked:

"We are thinking of moving to this place - what is it like?"

Joha asked them: "What was it like where you used to live?"

They replied: "Oh it was wonderful! The people were kind, friendly and generous!"

Joha replied: "It is much the same here."
     Reply #5 - December 07, 2010, 09:01 AM

Islamia just went up a significant notch in my estimation. Did you do Nasrudin stories as a version of the Christmas play? What a great idea -- in any school!

I don't want to spoilt the awesomeness of this thread with a video, as the tales are best related in conversation, but this cartoon Nasruddin story -- on heresy -- is a nice presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZIySYa2fo

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

https://vimeo.com/110528857
     Reply #6 - December 07, 2010, 09:49 AM

What is the background to these stories?  How old are they- who wrote them?  Were they something that heretics used, or were they part of the mainstream?

I remember a story my dad repeatedly told me, I wonder whether this is part of the same series.  Its was about a man that approached a king and was asked how long he the king would live.  He claimed he could look into the future & said the king would die an agnosing death in about a year or 2.  When the king asked how long he would live, he predicted for himself a long life with lots of happiness.  The king then summoned the guards to kill him  grin12

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - December 07, 2010, 10:14 AM

these stories sound like the stories of Nastradin Hoxha (Nastradin Odja;Hodja.....) popular in Balkans and Turkey. Smiley....

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #8 - December 07, 2010, 11:01 AM

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2002/02-147.html

(Ornstein was one of Shah's students)

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

Reply #9 - December 07, 2010, 11:20 AM

Really interesting parables Hassan. Thanks for sharing.
     Reply #10 - December 09, 2010, 04:59 PM

Mullah Nasruddin stories never seem to be as funny in English for some reason.  In Afghanistan, the Mullah is viewed as a true historical figure.  It is said that his grave is located somewhere in Syria.  They go into great detail about his grave site, where at the entrance is a great big iron gate with a massive lock at the front to prevent people from desecrating it, but left completely open at the back.

"If I don't die at least once in this life, I'll be surprised." - Mullah Nasruddin
     Reply #11 - December 09, 2010, 05:26 PM

Joha was sitting one day with his friends drinking coffee. They were discussing death:

"When you die and friends and family are sitting around your coffin mourning you, what would you like them to say?"

The first said, "I would like them to say I was a wonderful husband and loving family man."

The second said, " I would like them to say I was a great teacher who made a huge difference to the world."

Joha replied, " I would like them to say... "Look! He's moving!!!"
     Reply #12 - December 09, 2010, 06:51 PM

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - January 20, 2011, 06:00 AM

Mulla Nasrudin and his friend, out hunting, were stopped by a game warden. The Mulla took off,
    and the game warden went after him and caught him, and then the Mulla showed the warden his
    hunting licence.
    ”Why did you run when you had a licence?” asked the warden.
    ”BECAUSE,” said Nasrudin, ”THE OTHER FELLOW DIDN’T HAVE ONE.”

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #14 - January 20, 2011, 08:23 AM

lol Afro
     Reply #15 - March 31, 2011, 02:18 PM

A famous sufi story, not aware of the source..

There was once a man who was on his way back home from the market with his camel and, as he’d had a good day, he decided to stop at a mosque along the road and offer his thanks to God.
    He left his camel outside and went in with his prayer mat and spent several hours offering thanks to Allah, praying and promising that he’d be a good Muslim in the future, help the poor and be an upstanding pillar of his community.

When he emerged it was already dark and lo and behold – his camel was gone!
    He immediately flew into a violent temper and shook his fist at the sky, yelling:

“You traitor, Allah!  How could you do this to me? I put all my trust in you and then you go and stab me in the back like this!”

A passing Sufi master heard the man yelling and walked over.  “Listen,” said said the Sufi master, “Trust in Allah, but tether your camel first.”

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - March 31, 2011, 03:24 PM

DEDUCTIVE REASONING

"HOW OLD ARE YOU, MULLA? SOMEONE ASKED, 'THREE YEARS OLDER THAN MY BROTHER.'HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? 'REASONING. LAST YEAR. I HEARD MY BROTHER TELL SOMEONE THAT I WAS TWO YEARS OLDER THAN HIM. A YEAR HAS PASSED. THAT MEANS THAT I AM OLDER BY ONE YEAR.  I SHALL SOON BE OLD ENOUGH TO BE HIS GRANDFATHER.'

TIT FOR TAT

NASRUDDIN WENT INTO A SHOP TO BUY A PAIR OF TROUSERS WITH A RECENT CASH ADVANCE HE JUST RECEIVED.  THEN HE CHANGED HIS MIND AND CHOSE A CLOAK INSTEAD, AT THE SAME PRICE.  PICKING UP THE CLOAK HE LEFT THE SHOP.  "YOU HAVE NOT PAID," SHOUTED THE MERCHANT. "I LEFT YOU THE TROUSERS, WHICH WERE OF THE SAME VALUE AS THE CLOAK."  "BUT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE TROUSERS EITHER.OF COURSE NOT,SAID MULLAH ;WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT WANT TO BUY?"

MORE USEFUL

ONE DAY MULLAH NASRUDDIN ENTERED HIS FAVORITE TEAHOUSE AND SAID:'THE MOON IS MORE USEFUL THAN THE SUN'.  AN OLD MAN ASKED 'WHY MULLA?'  NASRUDDIN REPLIED 'WE NEED THE LIGHT MORE DURING THE NIGHT THAN DURING THE DAY.'

PROMISES KEPT

A FRIEND ASKED THE MULLA HOW OLD ARE YOU?  FORTY REPLIED THE MULLAH.  THE FRIEND SAID BUT YOU SAID THE SAMETHING TWO YEARS AGO ! YES REPLIED THE MULLAH, I ALWAYS STAND BY WHAT I HAVE SAID.

WHEN YOU FACE THINGS ALONE

YOU MAY HAVE LOST YOUR DONKEY, NASRUDDIN, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO GRIEVE OVER IT MORE THAN YOU DID ABOUT THE LOSS OF YOUR FIRST WIFE. AH, BUT IF YOU REMEMBER, WHEN I LOST MY WIFE, ALL YOU VILLAGERS SAID: WE'LL FIND YOU SOMEONE ELSE. SO FAR, NOBODY HAS OFFERED TO REPLACE MY DONKEY."

OBLIGATION

NASRUDDIN NEARLY FELL INTO A POOL ONE DAY.  A MAN WHOM HE KNEW SLIGHTLY WAS NEARBY, AND SAVED HIM.  EVERY TIME HE MET NASRUDDIN AFTER THAT HE WOULD REMIND HIM OF THE SERVICE WHICH HE HAD PERFORMED.  WHEN THIS HAD HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES NASRUDDIN TOOK HIM TO THE WATER, JUMPED IN, STOOD WITH HIS HEAD JUST ABOVE WATER AND SHOUTED: "NOW I AM AS WET AS I WOULD HAVE BEEN IF YOU HAD NOT SAVED ME! LEAVE ME ALONE.

http://www.afghan-web.com/culture/jokes.html
     Reply #17 - March 31, 2011, 07:22 PM

A famous sufi story, not aware of the source..

There was once a man who was on his way back home from the market with his camel and, as he’d had a good day, he decided to stop at a mosque along the road and offer his thanks to God.
    He left his camel outside and went in with his prayer mat and spent several hours offering thanks to Allah, praying and promising that he’d be a good Muslim in the future, help the poor and be an upstanding pillar of his community.

When he emerged it was already dark and lo and behold – his camel was gone!
    He immediately flew into a violent temper and shook his fist at the sky, yelling:

“You traitor, Allah!  How could you do this to me? I put all my trust in you and then you go and stab me in the back like this!”

A passing Sufi master heard the man yelling and walked over.  “Listen,” said said the Sufi master, “Trust in Allah, but tether your camel first.”

I used to live in a house adjacent to a mosque in Pakistan. It is a very mature neighborhood. And they have 100+ year old trees. People come to this mosque in their brand new cars.. One day I saw a tree decided to die on top of one brand new parked car.. (The tree's diameter was between 2 to 4 feet).. The whole car was pita after that..

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #18 - July 17, 2011, 12:28 PM

There was once a mausoleum of a great Muslim saint that was a focus of pilgrimage. He was famed for many miracles. Muslims would come from far and wide to pray at the grave and ask for their child to be healed or that so and so... would marry them and would tie prayers to the tree next to the grave and so on. An old Sufi tended the grave and had a simple bed in one corner and as the pilgrims left they would give him money or food so that he was able to live comfortably.

Joha came to him and wanted him to teach him his ways of abstinence, piety and service to Allah. So he slept in another corner with the old Sufi for many months as the old man taught Joha all he knew.

Then one day the old Sufi said: "It is time for you to go and find your own way. Here take my old donkey and go in the protection of Allah!"

So Off Joha went into the desert for many weeks. Sadly while on his journey the old donkey died and so he buried it in the spot it fell. As he sat on the grave wiping his sweat away a passer by saw him in his Sufi robes and immediately assumed the grave was of a great saint and came and prayed by it and then gave Joha some money.

Stunned Joha didn't say anything. The man told others of this saint in the desert and more came. Joha built an enclosure and stories spread about the wondrous works of this saint and how he cured illness and answered prayers and Joha started to live a very comfortable life with all the donations from contented pilgrims.

But he eventually felt deeply guilty about what he had done and returned to the old Sufi to confess his sins and seek forgiveness.

The old Sufi smiled. "Do not feel bad my son. You see this grave that I have tended for many years?"

"It is the mother of the donkey I gave you."

Smiley
     Reply #19 - July 17, 2011, 06:04 PM

Smiley That's brilliant, Hassan, thanks.

If I might offer a little Tailorite Tasfsir, it works at a number of levels.

1) It's about the way religious culture builds up like a "crust" around "events" that are actually completely orthogonal to culture and religion. It's like how you get towns and villages built near old volcanoes because the ground is more fertile there: but the event of the volcano erupting itself has nothing to do with these towns and villages. And in fact are mutually exclusive: if the volcano were to erupt again it would wipe those towns and cultures until nothing remains but the face (of the earth).

2) The standard Sufi tafsir on the donkey is that it represents the "nafs" of the human soul in transit. The ego. But not just the ego -- lots of things are "nafsic" -- like religious culture Smiley

Donkeys are not a bad thing -- contrary to some populist Sufi suggestion, the Sufi path isn't anti-nafs, it isn't anti-ego or anti-donkey. In (74:49-50) the Qu'ran describes those who turn away from the truth as like donkeys running from a lion. In (31:19) it is  said “the harshest of all sounds is the voice of the donkeys.” And yet, in (16:Cool the donkeys are described as a gift to us from the creator, granting us transport and adornment.

So Joha's nafs perishes along the way. His attachment, his culture, his Sufism, his Islam -- they are the donkey his teacher gave him, and they have perished at that grave. His own personal "let go" event -- I'm sure some of you guys know what I mean by "letting go" here.

But the irony of the Sufi tradition is that the moment a Sufi has a "let go" event, they get showered in wealth -- another culture, tradition etc -- builds up around them. It's the irony of revelatory, Divine experience: it always exists within a misprison of a tradition. It is spelt out to us in tension with the words/prison bars of a tradition that, in and of itself, as code-for-codes' sake, denies its immediate transmission. Except for the fact that the story has encoded the "let go" self-reflexively, in the death of its own carrier mechanism and the crust of our immediate apprehension, and the volcano of our potential comprehension. 

A crust has formed around this very story. Sufi stories are silly and charming and quaint: not like the hardcore martial rules and regs of the jackbooted Islamist. The story appears to us these days as a charmingly quaint and "user-friendly" Sufi Zen-joke.  But it's the very opposite: it's a sword that cuts deep, it's shariah, pure shariah.

Reply #20 - July 17, 2011, 07:56 PM

Man I love you so much, Tailor  Afro

I shall paraphrase Najashi when the first Muslim muhajirs came to seek his protection in Habasha

<me drawing a metaphorical line in the sand> "The difference between me and you is no more than this line."
     Reply #21 - July 18, 2011, 01:30 AM

Nice stories
     Reply #22 - July 18, 2011, 11:28 PM

Cheesy

Good stories, haven't heard me a Joha story in a long while!!
     Reply #23 - October 31, 2014, 10:24 PM

Bump! (because it's worth a bump lol)
     Reply #24 - October 31, 2014, 10:38 PM

Oh my non-existing gods. This thread is absolutely hilarious. Especially when you as a Westerner don't socialise much IRL with people of Muslim heritage and mostly get the negative stories about Islamic culture and Muslims Cheesy

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #25 - June 09, 2015, 10:20 AM

Bump.
     Reply #26 - June 10, 2015, 10:02 AM

Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »