Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What book are you reading?

(Read 130722 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 35 36 3738 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What book are you reading?
     Reply #1080 - November 24, 2014, 04:38 PM

A friend gave me this book and thought it was appropriate for me and I tend to agree. About a 3rd way into it atm.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
     Reply #1081 - February 02, 2015, 10:14 PM

I'm reading three books atm, I have a habit of switching between books.

(1) I started reading this on the recommendation that it is a "mathematical treatment" of theism. So far it just seems like the regular garbage with some set and probability theory notation thrown into the mix. However, I am only half way through and I still want to get through it.

(2) The author attempts to analyse Islam, Judaism and Christianity through the framework of dialectical materialism, it's a courageous attempt if anything.

(3) In many respects, this book is quite similar to the classic "How to lie with statistics", it has been an interesting read so far.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #1082 - February 02, 2015, 10:24 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)
    A friend gave me this book and thought it was appropriate for me and I tend to agree. About a 3rd way into it atm.

This sounds interesting.
     Reply #1083 - February 12, 2015, 09:08 AM

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1084 - February 12, 2015, 01:44 PM

Since I bought a Kindle I'm reading much more books. It fits in the pocket of my jacket, so I'm always reading in the subway.

At the moment:

Why There Is No God: Simple Responses to 20 Common Arguments for the Existence of God

This book is from an Ex-Muslim Armin Navabi from the Atheist Republic.

Leaving Your Religion from James Mulholland

I can really recommend this book. Check out also his video I posted here:
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28175.msg805179#msg805179

Unmasking The Face from Wallace V. Friesen

If you have watched the series "Lie to me" you may find this book interesting. It's from the real "Lightman" Wallace V. Friesen, who really worked for the FBI.

Questioning Islam: Tough Questions & Honest Answers About the Muslim Religion from Peter Townsend

This book is really great.

Beside that I'm reading some of the world-classics, which you can download for free (legally from Amazon). At the moment I'm into Franz Kafka.
     Reply #1085 - February 12, 2015, 05:28 PM

Amerika is my least favorite of Kafka's works.  The Castle and The Trial are both much better ... and his short story collections are *incredible*.  "In The Penal Colony" is one of the most incredible stories ever written.
     Reply #1086 - February 12, 2015, 06:09 PM

^The Metamorphosis is an absolutely amazing read.
     Reply #1087 - February 12, 2015, 06:30 PM

A book by one of the fathers of behavioural economics as we know it.

Reply #1088 - March 05, 2015, 10:31 PM

The Outer Limits of Reason: What Science, Mathematics, and Logic Cannot Tell Us

Many books explain what is known about the universe. This book investigates what cannot be known. Rather than exploring the amazing facts that science, mathematics, and reason have revealed to us, this work studies what science, mathematics, and reason tell us cannot be revealed. In The Outer Limits of Reason, Noson Yanofsky considers what cannot be predicted, described, or known, and what will never be understood. He discusses the limitations of computers, physics, logic, and our own thought processes. Yanofsky describes simple tasks that would take computers trillions of centuries to complete and other problems that computers can never solve; perfectly formed English sentences that make no sense; different levels of infinity; the bizarre world of the quantum; the relevance of relativity theory; the causes of chaos theory; math problems that cannot be solved by normal means; and statements that are true but cannot be proven. He explains the limitations of our intuitions about the world -- our ideas about space, time, and motion, and the complex relationship between the knower and the known. Moving from the concrete to the abstract, from problems of everyday language to straightforward philosophical questions to the formalities of physics and mathematics, Yanofsky demonstrates a myriad of unsolvable problems and paradoxes. Exploring the various limitations of our knowledge, he shows that many of these limitations have a similar pattern and that by investigating these patterns, we can better understand the structure and limitations of reason itself. Yanofsky even attempts to look beyond the borders of reason to see what, if anything, is out there.

Reply #1089 - March 26, 2015, 09:52 PM

I was at a book store a few days ago and came across this:
    The Dwarves by Markus Heitz

I looked it up on Amazon and it got pretty good reviews (at least at Amazon.de). So I bought it and it's really good.
    I'm reading it in German, which is the original language and I don't know how good the English translation is.

Still if you like Lord of the Rings you'll probably like this book, too.
     Reply #1090 - March 26, 2015, 10:06 PM

Much better cover photo

Reply #1091 - April 04, 2015, 02:27 PM

lol @bogart

Not very political but extremely insightful from a militaristic point of view. I was of the viewpoint that rommel was blown out of proportion by the western media to mask their early war incompetence and rigidity in warfare, turns out that they did not do him him justice, a remarkable commander, one of the best that have ever lived. I'm grateful that he did not have the support he needed/deserved (or who knows what would've happened).

I have become fairly convinced following much studying of ww2 military warfare that germany could've certainly taken the suez canal with not a whole lot of extra commitment, how long they would've held it is up to debate.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
     Reply #1092 - April 04, 2015, 03:07 PM

Master and Margarita by Michail Bulgakov. It fits the place I'm staying at for the moment. A lot of craziness...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #1093 - April 04, 2015, 10:16 PM

lol @bogart

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Not very political but extremely insightful from a militaristic point of view. I was of the viewpoint that rommel was blown out of proportion by the western media to mask their early war incompetence and rigidity in warfare, turns out that they did not do him him justice, a remarkable commander, one of the best that have ever lived. I'm grateful that he did not have the support he needed/deserved (or who knows what would've happened).

I have become fairly convinced following much studying of ww2 military warfare that germany could've certainly taken the suez canal with not a whole lot of extra commitment, how long they would've held it is up to debate.

Germany's involvement in Africa was never serious. Italy's goal was to colonize Africa not Germany. Russia provided everything Germany required while Africa only provided one resource. Africa was a strategic point for the British Empire for supply, resource and troop movement. Taking African would cut the Empire in half. It's fall would also harm the operations of the Mediterranean fleet. Africa as far as the war goes was only a theater of importance when Italy failed to hold it's own. Once Italy displayed it was incapable of of being a major power German was left with little options but to aid the "soft" part of the Axis. Germany would of never been able to take the Suez Canal as every single failure of their offensive campaigns failed due to supply issues. Again this goes back to Italy. Germany didn't have any major naval presence in the Mediterranean thus Italy's navy had to defeat the Mediterranean Fleet. Italy again was incapable of doing so. Due to this lack of strategic control supplies always faltered the further the lines were away from Italy. Likewise for the Allies, most of their counter-offensive stalled for the same reasons. Supply lines would stretch until it was within the reach of the opposing Navy and Italy's Sicily assets. It was only when the British chased the Italian fleet back into their ports could supply lines cross by water rather than over land.

I do wonder how well Rommel would have done in Russia. To be honest Rommel fought in areas in which Blitzkrieg worked, France, and in places in which his flank was secured by natural barriers, Africa. In Russia Blitzkrieg fail after the first few months. While the mobile forces often did penetrate Russian lines, the mop up infantry could not force decisive victories or surrenders like in France. The pockets of Russian forces bypassed by the armour and surrounded by the infantry were to large to fight. The fear factor was stronger for resisting rather than surrendering. The French were seen as a branch of the German family since the French were Franks, a German tribe. England likewise was Saxon and Norman, which were seen as German although Normans were assimilated Norsemen. Treatments of PoW was far more civil. Russians faced death in they surrendered, either at the hands of the Germans or their own leaders. Another issue with Rommel is that he acted in a dual role within his forces. He was the campaign commander but also acted as the field commander directing numerous battles in person. He overtaxed himself by doing so. This highlights another issue. His subordinates were not as capable field commanders as Rommel was. When Rommel was not present British counter-parts in both levels of command outperformed the Germans. I do not think Rommel was able to separate himself from the field commander role. This happens more often than people think in war. The American Civil War is a example of this. The Union's leadership was often filled by men that could handle tactical exchanges but could not handle strategic warfare. For WW2 this issue is rooted in the static warfare of the Great War. Strategic warfare in the Great War was simplistic but the tactical was complicated. So the next generation of leadership followed the Infantry doctrine with low level strategic gains. Mobile Warfare was strategic focused.

Germany should have kept Rommel as a field commander under Manstein in Russia.
     Reply #1094 - April 05, 2015, 08:45 AM

My third Linklater recently, the second best, and perhaps the most interesting to readers of this forum. In it Philistines (Palestinians) are anti-theocratic modernisers faced by Hebrews drugged on monotheism.

Reply #1095 - April 09, 2015, 12:03 AM

^ Sounds interesting. Also bear in mind that Samson was the first recorded religious suicide terrorist.
     Reply #1096 - April 10, 2015, 06:50 PM

Not exactly a book. It's an incredibly short essay, but if anyone's starved for coffee break reading, this is honestly a spectacular read: http://theoffingmag.com/essay/days-and-nights-of-candlewood/

It's a story I would not have appreciated when I was younger. I wouldn't have appreciated it even a few years ago. I think it's one of those things where perhaps it resonates better with those who have fallen harder and gone lower than they thought possible, or ended up somewhere they didn't expect to end up, or spent some time as a person they could no longer recognize.
     Reply #1097 - April 11, 2015, 02:51 AM

^that is quite good.
     Reply #1098 - April 15, 2015, 04:29 PM

I'm glad you liked it, too. Smiley
     Reply #1099 - June 01, 2015, 02:44 AM

Kiss the Dead. The sex scenes are kinda shit. The action scenes are a little better, even good at times.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #1100 - June 01, 2015, 04:18 AM

War and Peace.

Its a long book.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #1101 - June 01, 2015, 10:12 AM

Kiss the Dead. The sex scenes are kinda shit. The action scenes are a little better, even good at times.

you read books for "sex scenes"??   you Satan possessed QSD there is something seriously wrong with you..   Read Bible for that., Let me read a bit for you..

The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again,  so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.....1 Corinthians_7

After Jacob had stayed with him for a whole month, 15 Laban said to him, “Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be.”

16 Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17 Leah had weak[a] eyes, but Rachel had a lovely figure and was beautiful. 18 Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.”

19 Laban said, “It’s better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me.” 20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

21 Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to make love to her.”

22 So Laban brought together all the people of the place and gave a feast. 23 But when evening came, he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and Jacob made love to her. 24 And Laban gave his servant Zilpah to his daughter as her attendant.

but before you all that reading on sex or doing sex  you got to follow god''s rules.. here are god's rules.

17:9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

17:11 And ye shallcircumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

17:13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant

that is what god says before you read sex scenes or enjoy sex/sex scene ..  So read bible.. read Hadith for sex..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1102 - June 01, 2015, 01:11 PM

I would have seriously bad taste if I read this particular book for the sex scenes. Grin

Reply #1103 - June 01, 2015, 09:18 PM

War and Peace.

Its a long book.

Are you really? I thought you were pulling my leg.

If you really are reading it, where have you gotten to?
     Reply #1104 - June 01, 2015, 10:41 PM

A third of the way through the second part.

Only 15 more parts to go. Grin

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #1105 - June 01, 2015, 11:47 PM

Leonard Mlodinow - upright thinkers
     Reply #1106 - June 02, 2015, 03:40 AM

The Outer Limits of Reason: What Science, Mathematics, and Logic Cannot Tell Us

(Clicky for piccy!)

i guess the book is about this   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems  Smiley
     Reply #1107 - June 02, 2015, 01:33 PM

A third of the way through the second part.

Only 15 more parts to go. Grin

You know we named the little monster after Andrei Bolkonski. Grin
     Reply #1108 - June 02, 2015, 02:03 PM

I sure hope so! The subtitle makes it sound like a god-bothering book.
     Reply #1109 - June 04, 2015, 02:24 AM

I'm currently reading Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. It's spectacular.
  • Previous page 1 ... 35 36 3738 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »