Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed

(Read 156003 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed
     Reply #300 - May 28, 2015, 03:39 PM

Ahh, four-thousand posts and I finally made one that spoke to you. Grin I'm a little embarrassed that this is going in with the greatest hits, though. Cheesy

I'm kind of more embarrassed for your other posts in here to be compared to this one.

And quit with the false modesty, inside you are clearly thinking:  suckers

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #301 - May 28, 2015, 03:46 PM

Cheesy This is actually the second silly story of mine to go here...
     Reply #302 - June 01, 2015, 11:27 AM

Hassan Radwan

Not sure I agree with his statement: "Multiculturalism has failed" it is  far too broad and needs to be defined. Some people think multiculturalism means we must turn a blind eye to fgm or radical preachers… that's not what I would consider to be multiculturalism.
    Personally I believe there should be certain universal values that say the uk could say it upholds and no one is excused regardless of their culture. But that doesntd mean they can't express other aspects if their culture that do not contradict these things.

It concerns me that the slogan "multiculturalism has failed" is being used as a trojan horse by some racists

SPIT ON   well I mean spot on..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #303 - June 01, 2015, 11:53 AM

Why thank you Yeezy lol
     Reply #304 - June 01, 2015, 01:35 PM

Why thank you Yeezy lol

don't thank me.. Thank Hassan Radwan...

But asbie.,  dear asbie ..  why do you keep all this under your skull ??
    Religion attempts to cover that reality of death with a sham of justice. Even for religious people, though they may not say it in the moment, that sham can exacerbate the pain. But it depends on the person as always.

Some will find comfort confronting the reality of death. In its finality and ubiquity. So once again, I cant agree that religion is some sort of panacea for the grieving person.

please share it often with readers......

Reply #305 - June 01, 2015, 01:41 PM

Thanks yeez. I do try harder to share whatever I have to offer, but I will continue to tweak the filters, so as to not go too far off one way or the other. Grin

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #306 - June 02, 2015, 08:37 PM

Corrected! Tongue

Seriously, though. Welcome! I love the irony, {Remember the blessing of apostasy upon you. Behold, you were enemies and it joined your hearts together so that you became, through the grace of apostasy, brothers (and sisters grin12 ) }

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #307 - June 03, 2015, 09:25 AM

for Fuck sake all religions evolve, why not Islam !!!!!!!!

Reply #308 - June 08, 2015, 12:14 PM

[King Salman] is reprimanding relatives and firing friends, throwing money at the people, saying that you can sue him just like any other person in KSA, putting on this huge show to seem progressive and tolerant and decent when he truly sacrifices nothing.

But decisions like this, like allowing these things to happen, is the reason he will be remembered as just another worthless figure, better off in the past. If fair, time will view him as another stumbling block of many in the kingdom's history; at best, as a wasted opportunity. And, like Yeezevee once brilliantly said, in the hopefully not-too-distant future, Raif Badawi's name will be written in golden letters in the history of Saudi Arabia. 

Reply #309 - June 08, 2015, 12:16 PM

Embarrassed Thanks, HM.
     Reply #310 - June 10, 2015, 01:28 AM

lol... true and strangely enough it is Muslims living in the west that often seem more unforgiving to those who break ranks. Perhaps because they are a minority and as such feel their identity more threatened and so are much more defensive and insular.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #311 - June 10, 2015, 09:17 AM

Well first the governments need to reflect on their foreign and refugee policies. If there are no major plans to help Syria long term, form a unified government or at the least stop the war then they must realize that the refugee status will be long term rather than short term. With this in mind a plan must be made for integration of refugees along with a process of gained citizenship. To do otherwise just places refugees in the confines of limbo as non-citizens dependent on the government with no recourse but to wait out the storm. A visa work program for skilled and technical expertise can create productive members of a nation. This allows them to support their families, get off the government buck and giving them a chance to actually start new lives. I do not know about the EU's job supply and demands. However for Canada I do know it has a growing shortage in the trade skill market which is increasing every year. By policy Canada is interested in filling the demands of vacant jobs to the point of businesses and government cooperation for work visas and immigration applications. Following this example there has to be jobs within the greater market some refugees are qualified in any numbers of EU nations. An education program should be created for those without certified qualifications in order to gain just such certification. Many trade-skill labourers are trained by apprenticeship with certification being only proof of the apprenticeship and technical studies. Many refugees will have the apprenticeship experience but lack certification. This results in this group transitioning into the above group with the above group are become citizen under a visa and citizenship program. The uneducated show be granted full access to the education system within the public scope based on the education level of each individual. This allows them to progress to the apprenticeship level above. Last comes their children which due to age slowly transition into the above group as they age.

A dialogue between nations with refugee programs needs to develop with the above in mind, especial foreign policy, in order to pool resources. This will allow those that wish to apply for status in nations they are not currently in. Nations like Canada can take those wishing to come to Canada rather than whatever EU nation they happen to be in now. Via the UN a fund to help off set individual nations burdens has already been setup. This needs to become implemented to the level of other UN refugee programs quickly before the burden on the current national populations is not too great.

I know this is all too optimistic but even attempting this on a small scale will help some escape the limbo of being a refugee.

Reply #312 - June 11, 2015, 02:46 AM

I am a Muslim, that's all what I need to say, I am not even supposed to justify it, I don't need to make a public statement of Faith, but i understand if someone want to do to in order to be included in the Community.

Reply #313 - June 12, 2015, 01:37 AM

I think you are so eager to argue with me that you are missing the fact that I’m not saying anything very different from you. Why did Darwin have to reference things like a creator? Why did completely secular documents have to mention things like God? Not because those things were real.  But because of the profound effect and hold that faith has on the masses, they were forced to use the language of the people. It is noted that even Darwin was hesitant at first to publish the Origin of the Species because he knew what an upset it would cause. And the ripples still have not settled today.  

I’m not saying that religions are true or that gods are real. When I say that they are great, I mean that they have been able to inspire people to act, both for good and for evil, in ways that not much else has.

How many soldiers died in battle believing that “God” was on their side? How many native populations followed the heard because the omen was good, or sacrificed babies because the crop “gods” were displeased? Why did so many pilgrims and puritans make the long voyage across the Atlantic? Why did Columbus have to bypass the Middle East in order to reach India?

Of course, there may have been, and likely were, people at the heads of those endeavors that used the faith of the masses for their own good. But for sure, nothing has been able to motivate people the way religion has.

My family hailed from the Southern US and migrated to the North during the Great African American Migration. Faith was very much at the center of it. My Grandfather was a preacher and went on to build the first African American church in the city they settled in. My mother was active in the civil rights movement. If not for the power of religion, whether it was the faith of Martin Luther King or the Faith of Malcolm X, I physically would not be here today. Religion made my mother the woman she is.

So again, I agree with you that religion has led humanity to do some really horrible things. All I’m saying is that even that demonstrates its power.  

Reply #314 - June 12, 2015, 10:36 PM

Thanks, quod.
     Reply #315 - June 17, 2015, 04:05 PM

I tend to think that Maajid Nawaz (and others) will have very little (direct) impact on muslims, but very large impact on critics of Islam, so that debate takes place within certain parameters. I know that Sam Harris worried about Eurabia and took seriously enough to talk about some muslims who planned to take over (the  west) by higher birthrates. I wonder if Maajid Nawaz talked him out of it. In the end angry europeans/americans need a prototype of a 'reform' muslim to invest in the future of a liberal Islam,rather than to invest in a global showdown. Thats the role that Maajid Nawaz plays effectively. In the end, what matters is the debate and that every role is filled, not that everyone can fill every role.Others can do the work of modernizing Islam.

Reply #316 - June 18, 2015, 09:35 PM

Ultimately Islam never was a system based on understanding of the individual adherent, but rather on enforcing conformity and obedience...... asbie

Reply #317 - June 18, 2015, 11:29 PM

Thanks yeez.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #318 - June 19, 2015, 02:39 PM

Thanks yeez.

no..no..noooo..  asbie., Thank you and the readers must thank you guys for the nuggets

well three gets another one from the same folder....
    When you realize you did not understand the holy book for years, you feel like someone knocked the wind out of you. You get into denial. You start nit-picking, thinking maybe you misunderstood, you learned Arabic wrong, that the English version you first learned from is the correct version.

There is that cognitive dissonance. ................
      three

yap.. there is little doubt on that..

Reply #319 - June 19, 2015, 07:14 PM

Thanks, yeez.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #320 - June 24, 2015, 12:29 AM

Hi Jacktheexmuslim,

I am sorry if I am a bit blunt here. I see quite a bit of negativity here that you need to turn around. Firstly, just forget about what others say or think about you or they would think or say about you when you interacted with them or said something to them. If this is something that could be limiting your confidence, just start trying to ignore that thought proactively, like telling yourselves in your head. A significant percentage of young people can have social awkwardness and they learn and develop skills a little later. It depends on the environment one is brought up in, the opportunities one had, neighbourhood, schooling, family, etc all can affect but there can be some element of anxiety as a personality trait that one might as well have. I was a teenager and am a father of two as well. I can assure you that it will all get better but you have to have a positive attitude and build more confidence about you. There are help group websites where people with similar issues help each other as there are several things which work for them and they share it. It could be some simple dietary or herbal stuff or relaxation therapies or depending on what is availabke in the region that you live in, some additional one to one counselling/CBT etc.
    I have been completely cornered twice in my life, once around your age and once in my late forties, just recently. I went through a negative period for some time on bith occasions but then somehow went into what I call 'survival mode' where you see a different more positive, more hard working, more selfish ( if I am happy, financially string and healthy, I will be of some use for others hence selfishness is OK), and you will see that you will surprise yourself. Each one of us has enormous potential beyond what we achieve, it is only that we lack self belief.
    So I would suggest, set a date and time that is  NOW, that I did on both occasions and switch on your survival mode. There is one life and this is your life. And only you can turn it around. Be as positive in your thoughts and attitude. Forget about what others say or would say. Find or create opportunities, however small, and see what you can do about helping social awkwardness, though I believe it would fade away if you changed to a more positive thinking. I tell my kids as well that you do not need many friends, just one good friend is better than many friends who are not going to be there for you. One caring sibling, one caring parent or one caring person is enough in any tough time in one's life. Mostly, one has to fight his or her fights himself and we all eventually fight them. The things one needs are the positive attitude and self belief.
    Good luck and all the best in all areas of your life.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #321 - July 15, 2015, 10:59 PM

In my opinion, nothing will ever do for you what Islam did. True or not, it simply did too much. It gave you not only a personal reason for being, but a reason for the existence of everything. Nothing can top that. It was universal purpose in a box.

When that purpose is (rightfully) snatched away, I think it is natural to look for a replacement. But the fact of the matter is that the lie we were told was just so fanciful, so outrageous, that nothing in reality can replace it.

We were like kids pretending in a room. The table became a great pirate ship. The cardboard paper towel rolls became magical swords. The carpet became a raging sea. In the closet in the corner there lurked monsters and dragons. We were heroes.

Then you grow up and tables, paper tower rolls and closets just never have the same enchantment. You are left dealing with what is really there, which - in comparison - is not much. It’s a tough realization to have to go through as an adult.

I don’t have much in the way of advice. I can only relate to what you said. Perhaps a belief in some sort of greater wonder is still warranted, but not in the way that Islam frames it. We live and we die and we don’t know much beyond that. I reckon it’s all about trying to make the best of it in between, for us and for everyone else.

Reply #322 - July 16, 2015, 12:13 PM

Aww, lua. 001_wub
     Reply #323 - July 16, 2015, 07:10 PM

I was going to post it hm but then became lazy lol. I hate posting using my mobile.
     Reply #324 - July 16, 2015, 07:19 PM

Aww, Hassan.  001_wub
     Reply #325 - July 17, 2015, 12:28 AM

Same. lua beat me to it.

Reply #326 - July 17, 2015, 12:45 AM

Thanks. The word articulate reminded me, oddly enough as the English say without sufficient oddity, of a deliciously delicious book called The Articulate Mammal.

Suppose you had a sportive father who one day took you to one side and told you with all the seriousness, all the tonal sobriety and measured cadence capable of expressing the gravity of the situation that you were in fact adopted, and he had kept hush-hush all these years the fact of you coming to being as a result of acute sexual madness in which a ham-fisted man bedded a teenage girl (who shortly after giving birth to you passed away) against her will.

Quite apart from the cruelty of this April Fool exercise, you'd do a double take. And again. And again. And would go on doing it for sometime because your portion of reality has been thrown out of focus. Everything - I mean everything - and everybody you thought you knew and related to suddenly fell prey to dubiety, to unshakable doubt. All the familial ties, the affective inner things from whose meaningful minutiae you have individuated, all the communalities and recollective shared memories you have over the years had and taken proprietorial interest in were - whilst things were out of focus for you for a few moments - floating in air.

This is what happened to me, not for a few moments but for five years and is going to continue happening to me for the rest of my life. Simply nothing to anchor me, no magnetic north to my affective earth.

I appreciate I might not be, as it were, the only pebble on this beach but I think I had lost and still have a lot to lose; I have an 11 year-old son from an islamic marriage who thinks me with faith and tells me about all the surats that he's learning and has an all consuming interest in becoming, like his father he said, a reciter of the Koran and knowledge seeker. If I come out to my family I'd lose my islamic marriage and my biological son for good. So I'm doing with him what my father did with or to me (albeit unwittingly for him) ie lie to him. And since Islam effectively goes into everything, I'm lying to him about everything.

I hear the hours are really long in Europe, he says. Did I find it difficult to fast? I must be leading the prayers where I am -- would I care to send him a picture of my local mosque and maybe a selfie too with my undoubtedly bright new Koranic students? What happened to my beard, it looked shorter in the last picture though? Oh for medical reasons! Well well, when I, your son, get old enough to grew some, I'd not even trim it -- incidentally, would we be doing Umra together this time, and it's true isn't it, that I haven't brought them to the UK because I am fearful for their spiritual well-being etc etc etc.

To protect him from my truth, the negative taunting and the predictably banal reaction of those around him, I have been pretending to be somebody I'm completely not to this little boy who is absolutely everything to me and whom I'm trying to shield from the distressing social reality of my disbelief (disbelief is the single undisputed worst thing in the world for my people). Of late, the more I try to divert the course of our Skype chats away from Islam it somehow finds its way back to us like a homing pigeon.

As for the hapless wife, my meagre income won't allow me to bring a wife and child to the UK in the foreseeable future. Only a week before Ramadan I met some relatives of this wife in Hounslow who shoved me forward asking me to lead the prayer and I duly did because I had no excuse not to. Now, for how long would I be keeping up the act?? But then I know full well she in all probability would divorce me if she had been in the know. Sleeping dogs etc. I came out to the muslim friends as a daft experiment of containable results and the consequences were very very nasty ( I got a death threat from a bearded buffoon whom I had taught the Koran and was very disappointed in me - I reported him to the police before moving home alright) so I won't repeat it on or with my kido, his mummy and the blissful clan. Thus I'm rent and torn asunder between all this because I had the temerity to want to be genuine.

I'm not asking for advice by sharing all this. Just dumping some light on the emotionally costly price some disbelievers would pay if they wanted to just be and live according to what they (dis)believe; and, just questioning whether it is at all advisable for anyone to come out if losing hearth and home were at stake.

Asibe, I hope I'm not intruding on a tete-a-tete here, but if Islam shaped us as individuals is it ever possible to completely escape its shadowy presence and, well, tenacious influence? The experiential slate is not wiped clean merely because I had intellectually crossed swords with Islam. Eid, for example, is now coming apace, so is my festive past in it. Associative foolery no doubt but the falsity of everything islamic had endured long enough that even now, very now that I am many things except Muslim I feel this new me has been a drug induced hallucination or a kafkaesque nightmare from which I'd soon be shaken into wholesome consciousness. I mean, me? an Ex Muslim? Why don't I feel it thus? What does it actually feel like to be an Ex muslim? Why was I never depressed or rather, was able to cope better with life whilst a Muslim? Why this glum don't-get-involved attitude when I had always been a public spirited chap when there existed life after death for me? Why do I still eat with my right hand, say alhamdulillah when I sneeze occasionally if under my breath? Why every now and again I keep to the lavatorial habit of washing with water? Refrain from gossiping on something I'm unwilling to characterise as a religious reason? I cannot unknow what I experientially know to have been (sour-)sweet for years just because I now am at liberty to construct my own meaning with limited conscious interference from it. Even this process of having a worked-out opinion on everything Islam didn't permit fullest analysis of, by having the final say on it, is practically very tiresome and frankly exacting. I mean, good luck trying to consciously reinvent the world around you, the big massive world inside you, shunning passed on wisdom and handed down conventions of all sorts unless absolutely necessary. I understand the usually uncomfortable feeling one gets when others start to heap positivity on Islam but I equally understand the propensity of Ex muslims to readily limit or dismiss Islam's influence on anyone (for whom it was very deeply the absolute truth) as merely the shaper that was and no more. Humility alone poses the question, can we really escape nurture and primary socialisation in any meaningful way?  

I personally cannot quantify what Islam has been so as to be able to say with confidence this much was good and this much was bad and that's that of the whole concluded thing. This is because I am inescapably biased and for another fact related to the nature of things past -- the very act of remembering events and states of mind for me is necessarily reconstructive and cannot be reducible to mechanical retrieval akin to that found in computing. Memory is an unreliable witness and in portraiture, is not above the vagaries of mood swings and topographical happenstance.

So, what was it for me? Well, folks, it was in a transient way where the most basic (thus meaningful) lines met and still on some levels meet.

I'm referring to His Nabs in The Gift as he went about trying to describe something not very dissimilar in its ephemerality "... as he looked back at her and caught her long familiar, golden, fugitive outline that promptly vanished forever, he felt for a moment the impact of a hopeless desire, whose whole charm and richness was in its unquenchability. Oh trite demon of cheap thrills, do not tempt me with the catchword "my type." Not that, not that, but something beyond that. Definition is always finite, but I keep straining for the faraway; I search beyond the barricades (of words, of senses, of the world) for infinity, where all, all the lines meet".  

Reply #327 - July 17, 2015, 03:22 AM

A beautiful post.

I am glad you dropped back in, Whabbist.

I feel now, that while I was blissfully devout (high on Dhikr, Ramadhan and Fajr), that I was actually experiencing a delusion of grandeur. With a superiority complex, masquerading as dawah and charitable deeds. I was perfectly happy, and nothing much mattered to me but the next prayer. If it was long away, I had beads.
    Every messy bit of living was wrapped up neatly in Islam, every answer accessible through Fiqh, Quran, Hadith. It was so clean, so tidy. No critical thought.
    My purpose was clear. My reward was clear. My fate was certain, as long as I jumped through each hoop.
    If I faltered in my convictions, I could brainwash myself, easily, and get back on track before I missed a prayer. There were the aforementioned sources, and my beloved Ummah, the history of which (I was sure) reached back through eons to a definitive Divine source. Everyone encouraged the practice of it, no one ever tells you to take a break from salaat, to leave off the dhikr. How could they? But I did not think of that, then.
    The Sahaba were always in my mind, so real, I felt I knew them, as if they were media personalities. What Would the Ansar Do? It seems crazy to me now, but everyone I knew would tell Sahaba stories, too. How canny, to hand us a shared history, with heroes to emulate.
    Disbelief crept up slowly on me, despite my reluctance, due to circumstances of life beyond my control. I had no choice but to see clearly that Islam left me without any recourse.
    When I said I did not believe, I was not free. I was not free until I finally realized I did not have to practice anymore, it was part of me, like a second skin, holding me in. I shed it slowly, so slowly I did not realize I was looking up, standing straight, or walking noisily until I thought back to last year, six months ago, and recalled the changes. As it falls from me, I become myself, now.
    I still do not know who that will be, only that it will be more me. More me now and less me then.
    Life is harder without it. I have to do it all by myself. I haven't got any excuses for myself or any religion to blame. If I deny myself something, I cannot say "Sorry, I am Muslim, and my religion does not permit me to..." I have to admit it is me, robbing my own self of an experience, not for fear of Allah, or my husband, or my Wali. It is embarrassing, to wake up from the long sleep that came over me just before Shahada and find myself become an ardent feminist who is incapable of wearing short skirts. I was put off first by the freedom on the forum, too. I still steer clear of much of it. For residual reasons, I am sure, other than habit.  

I think you spent enough time in introspection to understand exactly what I mean about the process. I am forever who I was and I will never be her again. But I feel kin with both those who remain where I was and with those who moved on from there. It is always nice to see someone else describe the internal process in detail. I had thought I was becoming insane, when I first went spinning, unmoored, into the unknown after having known it all.

The members of this forum helped me to right myself, by sharing their experiences as you have.

Reply #328 - July 17, 2015, 12:39 PM

Aww, lua. 001_wub

001_wub Apparently it was going up one way or another! It deserves it.
     Reply #329 - July 22, 2015, 11:44 AM

HIra at http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=29046.msg828038#

.....Being kind to people  for your own sake and happiness is way better than being kind to them for a reward. That is not kindness, that is trade. .........HIra

• Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »