Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed

(Read 155872 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed
     Reply #180 - July 08, 2014, 05:28 AM

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=26632.msg763896;topicseen#new

One of the best threads IMHO. Lots of things to learn about Islamic terrorism, how it is tackled, its consequences and a nice video that talks about egalitarianism.
     Reply #181 - July 13, 2014, 11:41 AM

That's because you are operating on a paradigm where any kind of rational scrutiny and criticism of your dogma system is potentially offensive. And where any kind of honest testimony of experience under the influence of that dogma system, by those who have first-hand experience of it and have broken free, is inconvenient for your own narrative and a detriment to your ability to do Islamic PR.

The truth only hurts if the lie is preferable.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #182 - July 15, 2014, 05:43 PM

It's the same in the states and has always bothered me. Why are depictions of violence less offensive than naked bodies and sex? I can't believe the really graphic, disturbing violence that makes its way into PG-13 films, but if you can see a woman's nipple it's rated R. It's the violence we should be shielding children from witnessing, and encouraging them to see healthy depictions of sex and love. Or at least not acting like it's something to hide. Sex should be seen as normal, and violence as taboo. Not the other way around.

Reply #183 - July 17, 2014, 09:33 PM

One particularly memorable occasion featured two guys who stumbled into our dorm room without invitation when there was a huge party clogging up the hall that our door was at the end of. I entertained them for a bit, and during the beginning of the conversation, they asked where I was from, and I said Connecticut. They were in Hawaii and weren't quite sure where CT was, but one of them said, "Oh! Like...the place with the really good basketball team!"

I have no idea what they were on, but not even an hour later their condition had deteriorated, and then one of them asked me again where I was from. I reminded him that I was from Connecticut, you know, the state with that really good basketball team, and the guy who had asked clapped a hand to his forehead looking stunned, and said, "Okay, I know you're going to think that I'm like making this up...but I totally knew you were from Connecticut. I don't know how, like...I just had this feeling, I was thinking 'Connecticut, Connecticut,'" and his friend immediately said, "No way, me too!" And then they fixed like these wide-eyed, open-mouthed looks on me and waited for me to react.

Then one of them started saying, "You know, this is like...it's almost like a sign, that everything in the universe is right. Like this was supposed to happen. We were supposed to be right here, you and you and me, on this couch, in this room, in this city, on this island together at this...exact...time." And then it was just a long conversation about fate and the universe and destiny and the cosmos and eventually their friends came and took them away.

Watching this thread feels like that. But OP would have totally blown their minds that night.

I love this.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #184 - July 17, 2014, 09:37 PM

Cheesy  Cheesy  I'm flattered, but in the company of all these deep and intelligent and poetic posts I'm not sure if my dorm story deserves a place here...
     Reply #185 - July 17, 2014, 09:40 PM

Meh, I think that it does.

Reply #186 - July 17, 2014, 09:42 PM

Too kind of you, Qtian.  yes
     Reply #187 - July 17, 2014, 09:43 PM

I love this.

lolololol in what thread is this from! Cheesy

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #188 - July 17, 2014, 09:49 PM

Grin Muslim atheism.
     Reply #189 - July 17, 2014, 09:50 PM

Click the "quote" and all shall be revealed, young Cornflour.

Reply #190 - July 17, 2014, 09:51 PM

haha I'm not even touching that thread!

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #191 - July 17, 2014, 09:57 PM

Fine, I will bring the thread to you then!

So my inference is wrong ? or you are relying on "possibility"?

The House

No subject matter of "House", only "The" existed in your mind. .  . which is meaningless.

and I cannot make any argument with "THE". . . even from a philosophical stance.

Reply #192 - July 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

Reply #193 - July 17, 2014, 10:13 PM

The works of Sheikh. Muslim atheism.

Reply #194 - July 18, 2014, 09:57 PM

Anyone indoctrinated into a system which promotes death and the dehumanization of others is bound to produce psychopaths. 

Reply #195 - July 18, 2014, 11:36 PM

Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #196 - July 21, 2014, 07:37 AM

scientific laws are descriptions of how things behave. We have not found exception to these descriptions and we call them laws. It doesn't mean that there can be no exceptions. The universe is not obeying any actual laws. The universe simply exists, and it has properties. Those properties result in behaviour that appears to be uniform and therefore open to investigation by science.  We call the mathematical descriptions of this behaviour 'laws', and like everything else in science, this word confuses the religious. It gives the impression for example, that light is not 'allowed' to travel faster than 299,792 km per second. It won't actually get arrested if it does.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #197 - July 25, 2014, 02:38 AM

Gee, I can really relate to that ¨whether you like it or not.. traditional gender norms, etc¨ bit.
    When I had my last baby, my husband, as usual, insisted the baby and I leave the hospital immediately. Then we went home, where he dropped off myself and the baby and the other children.
    Then I put the baby's furniture together, because I got too big this time in the last months to reach over the boards and secure the joints with the hex key. I just could not reach, until the baby came out and gave me room to bend over my work.
    Whether I liked it or not, my husband was not going to do a damn bit of housework or cooking or childcare, and actually claimed he was not able to understand the furniture's instructions, handle the children, or make decent food. So he went out, you know, with his friends, because that is what you do when you have no responsibilities at all.
    Islam. I have never met a lazy Muslim woman. We would die, if we did not do the work. It's a great system to cure a woman of sloth. Thanks to Islam for cementing those gender roles, because I was always able to delay my healing after a delivery for an extra four to six weeks -due to hard work and lack of rest.

As for the rest of your post, well, that all depends on your mahram. If your mahram beats you to a bloody pulp, you are just plain screwed. If your mahram cares what happens to you, good. If your mahram holds views on your equality, you might end up with a choice in life. The Islamic system is not friendly to single women, all women have to have a wali or a mahram. I am happy to be rid of both and accountable to neither. They are life and death, happiness or hell. If the dependency doesn't choke the life out of you, the obedience might.
    Trying to get a divorce, while being female and horribly abused, does not work. Men have those rights, and they don't like to give up their punching bags. I took a family member to the imam, and there was no divorce for her, until we gave some baksheesh to the husband's family and HE initiated the divorce.
    I am happy you feel empowered. It's a rare thing for a woman, I hope you celebrate by swinging on the swings. Since women in Saudi cannot do that, anymore. Do it for them, be free for our sisters. I do.

Reply #198 - July 25, 2014, 02:13 PM

Myth. There are only within the Islamic narrative. There is no source outside Islam which substantiates this claim.

Khadijah was before Islam even started so non-sequitur. Also there are examples of women scholars in other cultures centuries before Islam. Hypatia for example. Roman law had already established rights for Women. The same system of laws you see in Islam. Property, money, etc. Sumerian law put men and women as equals with no "roles" or "duty" assigned to them as in Islam. Greek religion was once matriarchy with good virtues associated with women and vices associated with men. The Hesiod’s Theogony covers the transformation from a matriarchy concept to a patriarchal concept. Homer's epics also cover the role of women in Greek society. Did you know one of the reasons for the war with Troy was due to Helen's marriage to Paris which would grant him the right to the throne of Sparta. Menelaus' claim to the throne was through Helen not his own line or power-base. Clytemnestra, Agamemnon's wife, ruled his kingdom during the campaign in Troy. She married another man during his absences but never lost the throne. In fact the new couple murdered Agamemnon upon his return from the war yet continued to rule the kingdom. Again an example of the keys to power are firmly in the hands of women. During Odysseus’ absence, Penelope ruled his kingdom. Various suitors tried to her hand in marriage as he would gain the kingdom. There are women of Sparta covered by Plutarch. The law code of Gortyna on Crete granted the same rights which Islam has. I could go on if you wish, I have yet to cover classical Greece yet nor expanded upon Rome, Judaism, early Christianity, etc.

I have to note that many of the modern views of women's rights within history are based on more recent trends, that of 7th century Christianity and on, rather than factual history. You seem to take this view as fact, it is not.

Strawman, you are generalizing your belief as a fact for others without any idea of relationships of these people. My best friend and his wife switch this "role" every year and have for 5 years straight. He works a seasonal job so during later spring, summer and early fall he works. During late fall, winter and early spring she works and he stays home. My parent's both worked and my mother was by far the one with a better education and job than my father.

Slaves in Rome could own property. They could earn their own money even buy their own freedom. Slaves filled the roles of teachers, accountants, nurses, etc. Nothing different than Islam. A slave freed by a Roman citizen was granted the rights of the master. A roman citizen being the pinnacle social statue in Rome. This is above that of Italian city-state allies, of client kingdoms and of foreigners. As mentioned above you are taking a modern misconception of slavery propagated by TV, film and the American civil war. You confuse it with factual history.

Actually he had women advisers, councilors and promoted women's rights in his code of laws. Mongolian women rejected the practice of food binding in China as well as it's system of rights and law regarding women. Women ran the business end of the family as trade was not seen as a male role.

Here is the part of your sourced article which refuted your position. It helps reading your own sources in order to assess if it supports your argument, which it does not.

I would also consider your arguments more than I have if most of it wasn't copy/pasted from Islamic websites. It really shows you didn't do much research, you found an opinion which supports your views and used it to confirm said views. This is called confirmation bias.

If you live in a liberal secular democracy you have these rights because of liberalism, secularism and democracy, laws made by men and women. Not because of Islam.

Rights are not Islam's to give to anyone. Rights are not hand outs from Islam. People are born with rights in a society and those rights emanate from us, humans, people and the choices we made as a society after long fights against the reactionary forces over centuries.

God is Love.

Reply #199 - July 25, 2014, 04:08 PM

Way to go congratulating your own post Billy! that's like high fiving yourself in public.

But I actually liked this one of your better:

Muslims paint this picture as a way to make Islam seem relatively progressive. But there is no historical veracity for it, it is only referencing a minor society at a certain time, plus there is lots of evidence that Islam actually took women backwards even in that society.

Underlying this claim is also some breathtaking arrogance - that humankind had no ethical capacity for improvement before and since Islam. This is supremacist nonsense, and wrong, and an insult to humanity.

Reply #200 - July 25, 2014, 04:11 PM

I thought it was quite snappy Tony and wanted to keep it here for reference in the future  Afro

God is Love.

Reply #201 - July 25, 2014, 09:11 PM

From "Why did you leave Islam" thread:

Lol, gonna try to keep this short.

Firstly,
    I love sciences; I am not particularly fond of exams, but I do love learning new things, specially theoretical things that are of interest to me. When things such as the theory of evolution crossed roads with religion and was completely blocked out(or butchered into some pseudo-creation-evolution theory) due to the Qur'an having different thoughts on the matter.
    Secondly,
    Even though I was never really religious, I started to think how I'd go around raising my children; specially since abandoning Egypt is one of my key goals in life, how would they mingle out there while still conserving their religious beliefs? The mini-Muslim communities in outside countries just seem like Arabs that want to start colonizing the west, completely bordering themselves from the rest of the Country; I didn't want that.
    Thirdly,
    Women; I had very little interest in belittling my wife/daughter(s) because religion said so. Specially when it came to a potential life partner, I wanted an actual partner. and the way Islam described marriage made absolutely no sense to me.
    Fourthly,
    The seemingly mesmerizing words of the Qur'an pierced my ears. The Qur'an is often complemented for being one of the most beautiful writings ever, I didn't see that. The Qur'an to me was simply a book that sang poems of murder and eternal torture and sick twisted minds.
    Lastly,
    I simply don't believe in living one life for another.

EDIT: Also, I can't find place for divine interventions occurring regularly in  the atomic world.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #202 - July 26, 2014, 04:36 AM

Way to go congratulating your own post Billy! that's like high fiving yourself in public.

But I actually liked this one of your better:

Nothing wrong with a self-five every now and then  Afro

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #203 - July 27, 2014, 01:41 PM

As controversial as it may seem, the lack of creativity inherent within the Islamic model leads to the stagnation and the retardation of the Muslim mind. One way in which we solve problems is by imagining different/similar scenarios and exploring competing ideas and see which works best. Also, there's nothing wrong with escapism. It is a cathartic exercise and can be healthy. Need I google and produce the volumes of research and journal articles that have been written which prove beyond certainty that all things creative - yes, even video games and movies - stimulate the mind and are essential for developing and maturing of a criitical, well adjusted mind that is able to navigate through the complexities of modern life? There are plenty!

Islam either prevents or limits all forms of creativity, especially the arts, thus robbing us of our humanity. It claims to have a monopoly on all things by prescribing ancient solutions to (post)modern problems without allowing the people to doubt or challenge its authority. In the Islamic model there is no philosophy for the sake of philosophy, no artistic liscence, no music, no sculptures, no science fiction, no romantic poetry - or any poetry that does not praise the Islamic state - no parodies save for lampooning the infidels, no fashion and certainly no freedom of expression of any sort that would call into question the sovereignty of Allah over all.  Can you conceive of a more pathetic system than this?

yes
     Reply #204 - July 31, 2014, 05:22 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I had memorized 23 of the Qu’an’s 30 parts and could understand their meanings. When you go beyond mere recitation and random quoting, when you really begin to contemplate what is being said, the book begins to unravel into a hate-filled rant that seems unworthy of an all-merciful, dignified, intelligent, being. Far from being a book of spiritual inspiration, the Qur’an gives you a very disturbing look into the troubled mindset of Muhammad.

Even apart from the major things like the sickening descriptions of torture and the unrestricted lust for women, the way the Qur’an was used as a tool to manipulate his followers and play on their fears and hopes was all too disturbing.

The paranoia that Muhammad had against almost everyone, even his own followers, is very apparent.

The way that he deflected any criticism away from himself and instead blamed and threatened people who were raising what now I consider to be legitimate concerns was another problem. The Qur’an is full of those “how dare you try to call my bluff” moments.

Another recurring theme is what I call the “had it not been for x, y would have happened” moments. There are always these weak, mundane, elements that prevent the hand of god from manifesting itself in Muhammad’s career, and subsequently proving his claim to prophethood. “Had it not been that Allah had prescribed exile upon them, he would have punished them in this life.” “Had it not been for a word that had preceded from your lord, the punishment would have been definite” “Had it not been for the mercy of God upon you, a grievous punishment would have touched you” And on and on and on. There is always a pathetic reason why Allah can not act out his will in Muhammad’s life. It was not strange then that Muhammad’s detractors continued to ask him for a simple sign. I agree with them when they refused to leave the ways of their fathers on account of his words and empty threats.

Another thing that troubled me about the Qur’an was how much disdain and hatred God seemed to have for human beings. He created us with a certain nature, and then sounds completely pissed off that we turned out the way he created us. The Qur’an says that God created us “weak,” “ignorant,” “oppressive,” “impatient,” “ungrateful” and on and on the insults go. As a human being, not only did I find this offensive, I also find it to be an epic fail on God’s part. If his entire purpose behind creating us was to worship and serve him, then he failed. He failed because he deliberately and pointlessly gave us traits that would hinder us from fulfilling our sole purpose for existence. It baffles me why he would be so upset as to want to torture us eternally for turning out exactly the way he created us.

I could really go on and on with all of the problems I had with the Qur’an, but I think this is enough for now. I’m not sure how Muslims can read through the entire book, believe it is from God, and still have any element of respect and love for the guy. His only redeeming quality is that he does not exist. 

God is Love.

Reply #205 - July 31, 2014, 05:36 PM

Aw thanks billy.  Smiley
     Reply #206 - July 31, 2014, 05:50 PM

that's good enough to be an article  Afro

God is Love.

Reply #207 - August 12, 2014, 03:33 AM

I struggle with this one for sure.
    My wife's family is very conservative and are all about Islam. Heck, my brother in-law is an imam.
    It's a very strong identity and community.

My own parents, I'm far less worried about. I can tell them not to do anything, and by in large they live a relaxing life.
    It's not even about forcing things on them. Quite frankly, the whole Islamic environment is toxic.

I think it is right and proper for every parents to create a good environment for their kid.
    I wouldn't leave my kids alone with an abusive crack head.
    Teaching them about hell is pretty cruel and all kinds of false beliefs is cruel.
    Having their relatives and peers demean them for imaginary rules is cruel. The glares and looks of doing something inappropriate, like god forbid standing and peeing.

I was watching the VICE documentary about ISIS
    https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic-state-part-1
    (amazing video btw) and there are adults teaching their kids about the great Islamic state and fighting for it, and the kids have guns... and most western muslims are appalled by it...appalled at the indoctrination.

But I really and truly don't see the difference between that and what most Muslims teach their kids.
    The only difference is this ISIS group is engaged in a war.
    Most Muslims teach their kids on the greatness of the Muslim empires, the great greatness of the prophet, the strong Islamic identity, the strong attachment to Mecca and Hajj, submission to god's law, the complete lack of questioning...

The only difference I see is ISIS is teaching these kids about violence.
    It's not really the indoctrination part that bothers people, it's the violence. The indoctrination part, I see every Muslim parent doing.

I don't see the difference between the ISIS guys coaxing their kids by saying "You don't want to live in Beligam. You want to live in the Islamic state. right... and we want to fight the infidels..."
    And that is just what most Muslim parents do coaxing their kids to recite kalimas, wear hijab, pray, reject western society, reject free thinkers, support the mosques, go on hajj. Heck, my niece on my wife's side was just taken for hajj and is not indoctrinated talking about MEDINA MEDINA and MECCA!

Sacrificing your kids for the comforting sake of your parents is a pretty bad thing in my view.
    If you're going to have kids, you should be able to lay down the ground rules for your parents as they live in the house.

Heck, we as ex-muslim might even more opposed to something just because of our history.

Reply #208 - August 20, 2014, 06:54 PM

THIS is the inevitable consequence of promoting faith, the belief in something with no evidence. Especially in gods of ancient barbaric times.

The insistence and demand among society in general that religious belief and ideas, however absurd, should be automatically especially respected and protected from criticism, scrutiny, questioning, mockery, ridicule and insult if need be, is a comfortable environment for extreme beliefs to take root.

While I am in no way claiming that religious people are directly responsible for what is happening in Iraq, and in other issues where religion plays a detrimental part, but I think religious people and those who promote faith as a virtue, and something to be encouraged, often with government and societal support,  need to take a long hard look at their religions.

Moderate and benign religious people in our comfortable democratic liberal societies, who are free to pick and chose what part of religion they want to follow, who I am sure are as horrified and appalled by what is happening in Iraq, Syria etc, as we are, must now begin to accept that by promoting faith they are unwittingly and unintentionally setting the scene for such extreme groups, to blossom.

The average religious person who claims to gain comfort from their religion as they think they will go to heaven and enjoy eternal youth with all their loved ones, MUST now realise that this same religion that they insist must be respected, is also simultaneously getting people beheaded, medical assistance refused, children killed for witchcraft, mass kidnappings, terrorism, other atrocities and injustices, and all sorts of messed up dangerous thinking, in other poorer, less educated, and unstable parts of the world.

So as the lucky religious people who live in 'the west' get to enjoy meeting grandma in the afterlife and lovely fables about nativities and magic angels to make us feel all soft and fluffy, many poor sods elsewhere are getting their heads detached, genetically mutilated, denied medical treatment, beaten and ostracised, lack education, and are psychologically traumatised.

The 'benefits' of religious faith (believing things without evidence) are  unproven and minimal AT BEST, whereas the disadvantages, are tragic, real and all too measurable.

Religious people and accomodationalists need to get out of the idea as a society that faith is something to be encouraged.

Reply #209 - September 09, 2014, 03:26 AM

I thought this post by three was a keen and concise summary of all the things I hate about Islam's treatment of women:
    I left when I finally figured out that the system did not work in practice at all. The apologist tripe fed to women about how they are cherished and cared for and guaranteed this and that is just a doublespeak about how women need to toe the line to get their ¨rights¨.
    The more acquainted you are with Arabi, the more you realize that the Quran mentions women and children as property, not independent people.
    It took me a very long time to figure this out, because I was always self sufficient and the Muslims I knew were very nice. I could not reconcile what I read with the believers that I knew, and I was sure what I was reading was mistranslated.
    The Mahram concept creates dependency and retards maturation in women, and on the other gender's foot, it lends itself to a full blown rape culture easily seen in evidence in Muslim cultures. Mahram and modesty doctrine makes men out to be monsters and women out to be unfit for independent life.
    The Islamic system is not humane, on these points and others. A person only reaches full potential despite it, not because of it. So what good is it, really? More harmful than helpful. You have to ignore this surah and that ayah in Islam to maintain your morality, your sanity, in the face of such ethics. Pick and choose Muslims are Murtad, right? Ameen. So here I am.

• Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »