Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →
CEMB → Forum → Welcome to the forum → The Lounge → IE9

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: IE9

(Read 2500 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • IE9
     OP - September 16, 2010, 09:18 AM

I think it is a carbon copy of google's chrome! Has any of you guys tried it yet?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

• Re: IE9
     Reply #1 - September 16, 2010, 09:23 AM

Why would I want to inflict that piece of shit on myself before it is absolutely necessary? This is a serious question. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - September 16, 2010, 09:34 AM

I should elaborate. The problem with things like that is that although MS are happy to tell you what IE9 will do, they completely avoid telling you that current versions of other browsers will already do much more.

Fact: IE9 is already out of date, before it is even released. Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera are already more advanced. By the time IE9 is released it will be even more out of date. Once again, this will hold the web back for everyone. Ergo my comments here.

The whole damned IE development team should do the world a favour and swallow a bucket of drain cleaner each.

Reply #3 - September 16, 2010, 09:37 AM

Although I started using FF just a year ago, I still have a soft spot for IE! But yeah they are not doing a great job!

Reply #4 - September 16, 2010, 09:47 AM

Well I was just talking about this sort of thing this morning with some of the SMF crew. We were discussing the use of CSS3 and HTML5 in future versions of the forum software. The reasons we would like to use these are basically that we know we can get faster and smoother running sites with better functionality if we use the options made available by these advances. Such sites would require less bandwidth, which reduces hosting costs and server loads. Better for everyone who uses the site, and better for the people who own and have to pay for it.

Of course, there's a catch. The catch is that current versions of IE (8 and down) have zero support for this kind of thing, and even IE9 will only have rudimentary support for it. It will support a few features but nowhere near all the ones we would like to use. All the other browsers are right into it though. This gives us the shits.

To save penalising everyone else we will probably end up feeding a second rate version to IE. It'll still work and still look good, but it wont work quite as well or look quite as good. That's really the only practical option, unless we choose to limit everyone to the lowest common denominator, and I don't think that is fair on everyone else.

Short version: if you want to drive an old dunger that's your prerogative, but you can't then turn around and demand that other people make it perform like a Ferarri. You're stuck with what you chose and that's your responsibility.

Reply #5 - September 16, 2010, 10:11 AM

As long as IE works, then its fine for them to have a second degree facility if they insist on using IE.  

But like I said, the basic functions should still work as 30% of people  use IE (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp), including those that are yet to join us, who might not if the site does not work for them.  

Nor would they be prepared to change browsers/be aware if they are new to this site.

To encourage/educate people to switch, if its easy to do, we could put notes here & there recommending users to switch to browser A if they want to be able to do xyz

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - September 16, 2010, 10:22 AM

I think it is a carbon copy of google's chrome! Has any of you guys tried it yet?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

i'll try it once it comes out of the beta stage.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - September 16, 2010, 10:29 AM

Cheesy

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that get 1,000 to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release (From Mr. Welch himself): "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:"

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
       2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.
       3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.
       4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
       5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.
       6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.
       7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car fault" warning light.
       8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
       9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.
      10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grab hold of the radio antenna.
      11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Ran McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.
      12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
      13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

Reply #8 - September 16, 2010, 10:42 AM

As long as IE works, then its fine for them to have a second degree facility if they insist on using IE.  

But like I said, the basic functions should still work as 30% of people  use IE (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp), including those that are yet to join us, who might not if the site does not work for them.  

Nor would they be prepared to change browsers/be aware if they are new to this site.

To encourage/educate people to switch, if its easy to do, we could put notes here & there recommending users to switch to browser A if they want to be able to do xyz

Give them the option to install Chrome Frame if they're using IE. Works like IE on sites that don't enable Frame. Works like Chrome on sites that do.

Reply #9 - September 16, 2010, 10:43 AM

MS are stuck in a technoligal warp. Their thinking is way behind what is actually going on. A very high percentage of browsing is now phone based,they have made this latest version only compatablie with the latest OS. They say with pride that ' old versions only used 10% of your computers power it will now use 100%'  yet one of the biggest complaints about IE was how it and all its assorted addons hogged computer resources as well as causing memory leaks.. They are seriously out of touch. There is very little there that would make folk leave non IE browsers for this new version. Wierd for a company that claims to be the leading edge. This may go down well in the corporate market that already use IE but I think it will flop elsewhere

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #10 - September 16, 2010, 10:46 AM

Yeah the bullshit is amazing. They claim they will have to make IE9 only run on Windows 7 coz it's too advanced for XP and Vista, yet I'm posting this on Firefox 4 which is running on XP and is more advanced than IE9.  Cheesy

Reply #11 - September 16, 2010, 10:47 AM

Give them the option to install Chrome Frame if they're using IE. Works like IE on sites that don't enable Frame. Works like Chrome on sites that do.

I tried that & from what I remember it started cocking up here & there - when I dont know what I am doing, I prefer to keep it simple.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - September 16, 2010, 10:53 AM

Well Frame is still in beta. Hopefully they'll get it sorted before we really want it.

Reply #13 - September 16, 2010, 11:00 AM

Don't like IE (though I use IE for this forum because for some reason Firefox wasn't working). I've been using Firefox/Mozilla for 6 years and will never go back to IE if I don't have to. Sadly, that's what my university uses. :(

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #14 - September 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

What?! There's an IE9?!

Reply #15 - September 16, 2010, 11:07 AM

I will never forgive MS for fucking up the web world with ie6 and ie7...
    In developing countries, ie6 and ie7 still makes up a large proportion of browser share...

I am intelligently designed by God, and I originated from a woman made from rib who ate an apple because of a snake in paradise...
     Reply #16 - September 16, 2010, 11:10 AM

LOL @ IE

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #17 - September 16, 2010, 11:11 AM

In developing countries, ie6 and ie7 still makes up a large proportion of browser share...

Sadly, that is where I believe this forum is needed the most

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - September 16, 2010, 11:18 AM

What?! There's an IE9?!

Yeah. Sad, isn't it. You'd think they'd know better by now.  Roll Eyes

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
CEMB → Forum → Welcome to the forum → The Lounge → IE9