Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Inbreeding amongst British Pakistanis?

(Read 13091 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Inbreeding amongst British Pakistanis?
     OP - August 22, 2010, 05:33 PM

Just came across this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305078/TAZEEN-AHMAD-Three-uncles-deaf-Five-aunts-died-babies-Why-My-grandparents-cousins-married.html

At first I thought it was the usual DailyMail scaremongering.

But after some googling - a lot of the claims in that article seem to be echoed elsewhere.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3342040.ece
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/genetics/article7114113.ece

Medical research suggests that while British Pakistanis are responsible for 3% of all births, they account for one in three British children born with genetic illnesses.

British Pakistanis are 10 times more likely to be have a genetic illness according to that article.

Last March Baroness Ruth Deech, former head of the Human Fertility and Embryology Authority, called for a "vigorous" public campaign to deter cousin marriage. She pointed out that 55% of British Pakistanis are married to first cousins and in Bradford the figure is 75 per cent.

That just seems absurd to me. I'm Bengali and know of only one person that's married their cousin and I don't think it's that common in Bangladeshi culture but how common is it in Pakistani culture, exactly?That statistic seems awfully high.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

• Re: Inbreeding amongst British Pakistanis?
     Reply #1 - August 22, 2010, 05:45 PM

Doesn't really qualify as verification, but I saw these very statistics in a newspaper article or documentary a few years back.

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #2 - August 22, 2010, 05:47 PM

Its pretty common in pakistani culture to marry your cousins. I've seen these statistics before, they don't surprise me. Pakistan and saudi arabia have similar problems.
     Reply #3 - August 22, 2010, 05:52 PM

Thats one way to keep a religion going...

They have systematically figured out how to
    (1) Make sure everyone in the family believe exactly the same thing
    (2) The children are too stupid to question it.
     parrot
     Reply #4 - August 22, 2010, 05:54 PM

I know it happens in the Asian community - but not those scarily high figures.

Reply #5 - August 22, 2010, 05:57 PM

Is inbreeding restricted to only Muslim Asians or are there non-Muslim Asians that also do cousin marriages?
     Reply #6 - August 22, 2010, 06:05 PM

That just seems absurd to me. I'm Bengali and know of only one person that's married their cousin and I don't think it's that common in Bangladeshi culture but how common is it in Pakistani culture, exactly?That statistic seems awfully high.

I don't think its an 'Asian' issue in general. Like you say its not common in Bangladeshis and its not an issue amongst Indians or Sri Lankans who are mostly non Muslims. It is very high amongst Pakistani Mirpuris. Its basically a Pakistani issue, and particularly a Mirpuri issue.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #7 - August 22, 2010, 06:07 PM

(2) The children are too stupid to question it.

Or too intimidated / co-erced to refuse it.

Remember, Islam will be invoked often to check challenges to the status-quo and cousin-marriage will be overlaid with familial justifications in accordance with Islamised tradition.

I think chain migration through cousin marriage between Mirpuris and British born Pakistanis is a major hinderance to societal integration and the fulfilment of lives. They just can't break out, and in the northern milltowns it makes for a very depressing scene.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - August 22, 2010, 06:29 PM

Is inbreeding restricted to only Muslim Asians or are there non-Muslim Asians that also do cousin marriages?

Certain South Indians (Hindus) also do this although it is not common.  My friend from Andra Pardesh said they do that but like I said it's really not that common.  I know Arab Christians/Caldiens also do this. Otherwise I do know north Indians (Punjabis, Gujus, Rajastani) non-muslims dont do this.

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #9 - August 22, 2010, 06:42 PM

Yup inbreeding is a problem amongst british pakistanis (most are mirpuri)

Source: being 50% mirpuri  Roll Eyes
     Reply #10 - August 22, 2010, 07:33 PM

lipsrsealed

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #11 - August 22, 2010, 08:15 PM

this just gives me the heebee jeebees; there's a channel 4 dispatches program about it tommorow.
    to be honest i find the whole idea repulsive.

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #12 - August 22, 2010, 08:59 PM

Yak!  For goodness sake, it's like marrying yourself. Makes cloning sound positively beneficial.
    BUT: in the 1850s  (It's the only bit I know about) it was quite common for British people to marry their cousins (on a 'better the devil you know' basis I think) and Chas Darwin was a pre-emminent example.  In those days every village had more than one idiot.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #13 - August 22, 2010, 09:07 PM

this just gives me the heebee jeebees; there's a channel 4 dispatches program about it tommorow.
    to be honest i find the whole idea repulsive.

The woman who wrote the DailyMail article on it is doing the Dispatches program.

Reply #14 - August 22, 2010, 09:20 PM

I thought it was common knowledge that a lot of Pakistani's marry their cousins.  That is the first place they look.  The reason why some Pakistani's don't is because there isn't a suitable cousin of a similar age to marry, so they have to look outside the family.

If my parents had their way I'd be marrying my cousin too.  I have a cousin in Pakistan who's 2 years younger than me and it's obvious that my parents and my auntie (her mum) had always thought that we'll marry when we're older, but when I came of age I shattered that dream of theirs and made it clear that I will NOT marry her, or any other cousin.  They obviously tried to convince me, but I stood my ground and eventually they accepted my decision.

Just thought I'd add that I'm not a product of cousin marriage myself.  My parents were completely unrelated and from completely different villages in Pakistan when they married.

Reply #15 - August 22, 2010, 09:53 PM

Well, good for you.  How do you know they were unrelated - come to that, how do they know they are unrelated?

Reply #16 - August 22, 2010, 09:56 PM

the hindus got this one right. no marriages between people of the same village and people of a particular sub caste as a rule.
     Reply #17 - August 22, 2010, 10:03 PM

It would be interesting to compare the prevalence of inbreeding disorders of Muslim V Hindu popns.

Reply #18 - August 22, 2010, 10:10 PM

http://infidelsarecool.com/2010/08/12/inbreeding-in-the-muslim-world-and-the-idiocy-and-insanity-that-follow/

So inbreeding is halal?

Reply #19 - August 22, 2010, 10:18 PM

eww .__. it's gross but thats what happened. My mom married her cousin my father.
    I'aint marrying my cousins no way~ I'm sure of that because they hate each other guts anyway
    D: but ewww people should stop doing it, it's wrong! like marrying your own sister or brother
     Reply #20 - August 22, 2010, 10:20 PM

You newbies might wanna check out the "Cousin Marriages" thread by the lunatic Iftikhar, who comes here every few weeks to post his bullshit.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #21 - August 22, 2010, 10:37 PM

If I'm not mistaken, children are only born with defects if their parents carry an excessive amount of regressive/ dangerous genes?

If that is the case, then perhaps every marriage between cousins should first have to pass a dna test to be allowed...

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #22 - August 22, 2010, 10:38 PM

Inbreeding is very common among Muslims. For Muslims, the marriage is not for love but for business and cementing family ties. The cousin marriage is preferred because that keeps families together. Families already know each other. Muslims see this as making the family stronger. It is like 2 companies merging to make a bigger company.

Also, it is very common in Arab countries to exchange daughters and sons in marriage. Like A's daughter and son marry B's son and daughter. A and B may be cousins as well. In many cases the children are pledged before they are even born.

There are also cases where cousins may exchange their daughters. For example C and D are cousins. C marries D's daughter and D marries C's daughter. C and D need not be cousins, they may be friends or business associates.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #23 - August 22, 2010, 10:59 PM

You newbies might wanna check out the "Cousin Marriages" thread by the lunatic Iftikhar, who comes here every few weeks to post his bullshit.

That thread is GOLD!  Cheesy

EDIT: JonnyKhan is CRAZY.

Reply #24 - August 22, 2010, 11:08 PM

Inbreeding is very common among Muslims. For Muslims, the marriage is not for love but for business and cementing family ties. The cousin marriage is preferred because that keeps families together. Families already know each other. Muslims see this as making the family stronger. It is like 2 companies merging to make a bigger company.

Also, it is very common in Arab countries to exchange daughters and sons in marriage. Like A's daughter and son marry B's son and daughter. A and B may be cousins as well. In many cases the children are pledged before they are even born.

There are also cases where cousins may exchange their daughters. For example C and D are cousins. C marries D's daughter and D marries C's daughter. C and D need not be cousins, they may be friends or business associates.

Wow, so glad my family believes in marrying for love.  wacko Though, in Europe for a while, this was common too.

Reply #25 - August 23, 2010, 12:01 AM

How do you know they were unrelated - come to that, how do they know they are unrelated?

Because they weren't.

I'd just like to add that I have no problem with cousin marriage per se (each to their own), but I do have a problem with the culture of marrying cousins.  It two cousins fall in love and decide to marry then fair enough.  I think generally this wouldn't occur very often anyway.  But in Pakistani culture the cousin can be the first port of call when looking for a spouse and I think that's very wrong.

Reply #26 - August 23, 2010, 12:31 AM

It would be interesting to compare the prevalence of inbreeding disorders of Muslim V Hindu popns.

Hindus are forbidden to marry cousins on the father's side, it does not matter how many generations apart. However, on the mother's side, Hindus are NOT allowed to marry cousins for 6 generations, in other words your great-great-great-great-great-great daughter or son CANNOT marry your wife's great-great-great-great-great-great nephew or niece. After the 6th generations they can marry. They can marry 7th generation apart. This is the rule.

But cousin marriages do occur among some Hindu communities but they are rare.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #27 - August 23, 2010, 12:35 AM

Wow, it sounds like Islam sucks even more.

Reply #28 - August 23, 2010, 12:40 AM

I don't blame Islam for the prevalence of cousin marriage.  Although Muhammad himself married his cousin (Zainab), he didn't exactly encourage it.

Reply #29 - August 23, 2010, 12:57 AM

I disagree with the last sentence.   Cousin marriage was practiced in many societies, some more than others, I actually think Muhammad is one of the biggest reasons it is still practiced today in Islamic Societies.  Since Muhammad is seen as an example to his followers, he also made the example of marrying cousins okey.  So for Islamic societies it doesnt really matter what the facts are...Muhammad did it therefore it's okey.

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »