Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How to survive Ramadan?!

(Read 66306 times)
  • 12 3 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How to survive Ramadan?!
     OP - May 24, 2010, 11:42 PM

Don't want to fast, ever since my parents made me fast when I wake up I have bad acid reflux and when I stop fasting it goes away. My parents don't believe... and I'm not going to put up with their shit so I want to know ways some of you pull a sneaky sneaky and have some good meals  Yum Yum

(I know ramadan isn't coming for a little but I want to be prepared for that hell...)
  • Re: How to survive Ramadan?!
     Reply #1 - May 25, 2010, 12:18 AM

Never mind fasting, how am I gonna survive taraweeh?!
     Reply #2 - May 25, 2010, 12:29 AM

@Bobonaut, eat behind their back? go to the nearest news agent a get a Snickers or a bag of crisps?

@Prince Spinoza, sad to hear that. Any chance you can avoid it?
     Reply #3 - May 25, 2010, 09:08 AM

I don't mind fasting. I don't even think of eating when I'm alone.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #4 - May 25, 2010, 11:11 AM

My one tip for those who are working during Ramadan; use your lunch hour to take a nap.  Worked pretty well for me and gave me that extra energy boost until iftar time.

As for taraweeh, if you're a woman I guess you can use the 'it is better for women to pray at home' excuse to get out of having to sit in the mosque all night.  Sorry guys, don't have any advice for you as to how to get out of it other than claiming that you ate too much garlic during iftar and/or are having serious gas issues therefore you cannot effectively pray taraweeh as you would have to keep getting up and making wudhu over and over again!  Wink

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #5 - May 25, 2010, 11:17 AM

Well my family is 100% Shia and hence no Taraweeh for any of us.

Sexual Biddah.  dance

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #6 - May 25, 2010, 11:25 AM

My one tip for those who are working during Ramadan; use your lunch hour to take a nap.  Worked pretty well for me and gave me that extra energy boost until iftar time.

Hey that's a pretty awesome tip! For those who live in the west, of course. Where I live, lunch break is suppressed because we leave work earlier than in Non-Ramadan. But it shouldn't be difficult to sneak in the conference room for some sleep  grin12

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #7 - May 25, 2010, 12:02 PM

I fasted all of Ramadhan in 2008 and prayed taraweeh etc, having pretty much committed myself mentally to leaving Islam.  All the food was great so I can't complain. dance
    Praying taraweeh was very boring, I must say.

In the West, fasting in Ramadhan is getting quite tough. hehehe!
    Apparently Ibrahim Hewitt fasted all of Ramadhan before he converted to Islam a long time ago, just to see what it was like.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - May 25, 2010, 12:11 PM

I fasted Ramadan myself before becoming Muslim, then again this was when Ramadan was in the mid - late autumn.

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #9 - May 25, 2010, 12:35 PM

In the West, fasting in Ramadhan is getting quite tough. hehehe!

Why is that?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #10 - May 25, 2010, 12:38 PM

Ramadan is increasingly coming in summer times. Longer daylight hours than what one would expect in Muslim countries. Imagine having to take Sehri before 4 am and then do iftar sometime after 9 pm in places like the UK during summers.  wacko

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #11 - May 25, 2010, 12:41 PM

I've been breaking my fasts since I was like 12. It isn't that hard. I got caught sneaking halloween candy in the basement once. And just this ramadan, I got caught sneaking food before it was time to break our fast.

What I do is, I offer to cook stuff during Ramadan and usually people clear the kitchen out (because I am very annoying on a regular basis) and then I eat and make stuff and eat that too.  dance Or when no one is around (i.e they've gone out or are somewhere else where they can't see me) I take food to my room Tongue. I'm a master sneaker. Been doing it for years.

But this ramadan...don't know what we'll do (if we don't go to school). It will be long....and horrible.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #12 - May 25, 2010, 12:42 PM

Ramadan is increasingly coming in summer times. Longer daylight hours than what one would expect in Muslim countries. Imagine having to take Sehri before 4 am and then do iftar sometime after 9 pm in places like the UK during summers.  wacko

Oh yes, of course. I thought he meant that, but wondered if he might also mean it in a more general sense, because of various temptations, or the pressures to conform that some Muslims place on other Muslims during ramadan, the peer pressure fasting.

God is Love.

Reply #13 - May 25, 2010, 12:46 PM

Pity the eskimo or northern Scandinavians who convert and fast during the 24 hours of sunshine summer days.

"Islam causes starvation deaths"

God is Love.

Reply #14 - May 25, 2010, 01:07 PM

Oh yes, of course. I thought he meant that, but wondered if he might also mean it in a more general sense, because of various temptations, or the pressures to conform that some Muslims place on other Muslims during ramadan, the peer pressure fasting.

atheist.pk was right about what I meant.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #15 - May 25, 2010, 01:46 PM

O HOLY FUCK! I'm gonna be in Kuwait for part of Ramadan!
     Reply #16 - May 25, 2010, 01:54 PM

I'm in Canada and I don't live with my family, so I don't have to worry about fasting at all.
    But even if I went back to my other country, around friends and family, I still don't have a problem fasting anyways. I started fasting for a few days when I was a little kid, and started fasting for the entire month since I was 10. So I'm already used to fasting.

I've been breaking my fasts since I was like 12. It isn't that hard. I got caught sneaking halloween candy in the basement once. And just this ramadan, I got caught sneaking food before it was time to break our fast.

What I do is, I offer to cook stuff during Ramadan and usually people clear the kitchen out (because I am very annoying on a regular basis) and then I eat and make stuff and eat that too.  dance Or when no one is around (i.e they've gone out or are somewhere else where they can't see me) I take food to my room Tongue. I'm a master sneaker. Been doing it for years.

But this ramadan...don't know what we'll do (if we don't go to school). It will be long....and horrible.

@ Ephy, just go out with your friends! (unless some of your friends are muslim too)

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #17 - May 25, 2010, 03:11 PM

Taraweeh is not a must at all. It is not Fard, it's only sunnah, and made common only in the second calif's (Omar) reign. You can skip it and still be a Muslim. So no one will suspect anything!

Reply #18 - May 25, 2010, 03:30 PM

I usually just fast, but his year I'm planning on trying to convince my mom my period is longer than it is, if I'm lucky I won't have to fast for 8 day.  dance
     Reply #19 - May 25, 2010, 03:32 PM

O HOLY FUCK! I'm gonna be in Kuwait for part of Ramadan!

Yeah, but don't they take the month off over there and party all night and sleep through the day?

Reply #20 - May 25, 2010, 03:33 PM

Reply #21 - May 25, 2010, 03:41 PM

I see Ramadan as some sort of challenge. The Iftar meal is usually heavy (and delicious) so if I eat during the day I'd spoil my apetite and that meal would lose its charm. I stopped being miserable during that months when I made a game out of it.

Although, funny anecdote, during the first week I used to systematically have nightmares in which I would accidentally break my fast. It was horrible. But when I started having doubts about religion, those dreams immediately stopped. <3 my subconscience.

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #22 - May 25, 2010, 04:15 PM

• claim you are ill/don't feel well and will make up for the few days
    • claim you are on your ... yeah ... you girls can skip a few days with this ...
    • biscuits in the desk
    • drink water (but not too much you are going to the toilet a lot!)
    • claim you've slept over morning Suhur/Sheree
    • raid  the kitchen/fridge when your parents are out (or much over food in your room when they are out)
    • go to the library/friend's house/shopping and grab a bit somewhere while out!

… be creative, when there is a will there is a way Wink
     Reply #23 - May 25, 2010, 04:21 PM

Spit it out HighOctane, Period, Menses, Menstruating ... Blah Blah ...
     Reply #24 - May 25, 2010, 04:22 PM

For the first two point, we have to fast later on anyway. Unless people around you forgot, which doesn't usually happen in my family. My mom has a little calendar where she writes who missed what day and she scratches it off if we mad up for it.

As for the fifth point, oversleeping, most people don't care, you have to fast anyway  Cry
     Reply #25 - May 25, 2010, 04:43 PM

@Lilyesque : Yes ... indeed ... thanks ...
    @Aurora : Blimey ... hmm ... well best to claim a few days mid way then, at least you have some time out and can get some nutrients back and when you have to claim the days back at least the availability of food lying around will be more *and* your mum just *might* miss a day (or three) ... gosh, tough situation.

As for oversleeping, it is much better for the mind to get a good night sleep than have to wake up before having 6 hours sleep.

How about small pieces of mould-able candy that can be left around in certain locations. Can't you buy lipstick candy?

Reply #26 - May 25, 2010, 05:10 PM

Hot Pockets = best sneaking snack there is. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #27 - May 25, 2010, 05:23 PM

Those Hot Pockets look nice!

Just checked my draw for ideas ... and look what I found ... running energy gels! You can find them at sports shops or order online. Very small and packed with energy. It has the same viscosity as hand washing gels, so (behaving like an undercover secret spy for the IMF) you could empty out a hand washing tub and fill it in with running energy gels (but keep it in your room, claim you like to be clean) .... another thing perhaps: hide some glucose powder somewhere.

In all honesty though Aurora, I fear what you happen if you get caught, sounds like too much of a risk under the strict nature of your rents. Although I still think taking time-out half way is a safe and worth it.
     Reply #28 - May 25, 2010, 06:42 PM

My Mom scares me sometime, she notices everything. She noticed if my prayer mat hasn't moved (so I move it around every once in a while) and she notices if my feet aren't wet if I come out of the toilet before prayer, meaning that I didn't do wudu (so I started to wear fluffy slipper which I can blame).And somehow she knows if I've eaten something as a snack before dinner (I hide it pretty well).
     wacko

I'll probably just fast or eat when I'm out of the house.
     Reply #29 - May 25, 2010, 06:52 PM

Oh my Godgoodness Aurora!!  I didn't realise you had to pretend to your family like this.  I had to go to the Mosque when I was a closet Atheist just to keep my cover.  I used to meticulously delete my internet history from my PC.
    What if they see your internet history?  Or they catch you on this forum?

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 12 3 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »