Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How to survive Ramadan?!

(Read 66468 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: How to survive Ramadan?!
     Reply #30 - May 25, 2010, 07:03 PM

Don't want to fast, ever since my parents made me fast when I wake up I have bad acid reflux and when I stop fasting it goes away. My parents don't believe... and I'm not going to put up with their shit so I want to know ways some of you pull a sneaky sneaky and have some good meals  Yum Yum

(I know ramadan isn't coming for a little but I want to be prepared for that hell...)

I suffer from acid reflux too and Ramadan always made it unbearable!

It was going without food - then the anticipation - then the stuffing till night - then sleeping with all that food in the stomach with lots of acid in it.
     Reply #31 - May 25, 2010, 07:16 PM

Oh my Godgoodness Aurora!!  I didn't realise you had to pretend to your family like this.  I had to go to the Mosque when I was a closet Atheist just to keep my cover.  I used to meticulously delete my internet history from my PC.
    What if they see your internet history?  Or they catch you on this forum?

Not a problem, I have my own laptop with a very random and unguessable password that also finger prints to log on to it. As for the history, I wipe it out every 10-20 days or so. Also they respect that this is my possession and don't try to use it. My family is usually reasonable, it's only when it comes to religion that they go crazy.
     Reply #32 - May 25, 2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I am going all out this ramadan... I will make something convenient, like a sandwich,  and hide them in several secret locations hehehehe. I don't think I can ever come out with my atheism because my Mom is very religious, my Dad might understand but it won't be a smart move on my part because I need my parent's support to go to college and once I'm on my own then I might tell them.
     Reply #33 - May 25, 2010, 07:55 PM

If you manage to get your father to understand it will probably be to tell your mother, especially if he is willing to help calm her down.
     Reply #34 - May 25, 2010, 08:00 PM

Coming out to your parents about your apostasy is one hell of a problem, mainly because religious mothers will grieve that you will go to hell for eternity.  Hence, many people don't ever tell their parents, if they feel that their parents are likely to react this way.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #35 - May 25, 2010, 08:06 PM

If you manage to get your father to understand it will probably be to tell your mother, especially if he is willing to help calm her down.

My Mom is the boss around here lol....
     Reply #36 - May 25, 2010, 08:33 PM

@Aurora : Gosh I feel for you ... I think we need another showing of good ol' Die Gedanken sind frei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M53mpCOAfS4

@ Bobonaut,ateapotist : My dad is slightely more rational but stays within his shell when he is religiously offended (well, offended in general). Mum on the other hand wears her heart on her sleeve.
     Reply #37 - May 25, 2010, 08:46 PM

I haven't fasted the last 4 Ramadans. I fasted for 8 years though (11-19) but if you count masturbation as breaking fast then I haven't even fasted more than half the month in most of those 8 years !
     Reply #38 - May 25, 2010, 08:54 PM

Cheesy
     Reply #39 - May 25, 2010, 09:21 PM

I haven't fasted the last 4 Ramadans. I fasted for 8 years though (11-19) but if you count masturbation as breaking fast then I haven't even fasted more than half the month in most of those 8 years !

A lot of people don't know how severe the penalty for breaking a fast on purpose through sex is.  You only masturbated, so you're OK. (you only had to repeat the one fast.)
    But the penalty in Islam for having sex while fasting is a whopping 60 consecutive days of fasting.  Gosh!! Did it have to be that severe to put people off sex while fasting in Muhammad's time?
    See this fatwa for reference: http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-57-894.htm

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #40 - May 25, 2010, 09:23 PM

I stopped praying at 13 so even when I was still a Muslim I knew my fasting didn't count  Wink
     Reply #41 - May 25, 2010, 11:22 PM

I stopped praying at 13 so even when I was still a Muslim I knew my fasting didn't count  Wink

I stopped praying at 13 too. It was too much of a bother to stop what I'm doing, do waduik, and pray.... 5 times a day. The storys from the quran that I was hearing also sounded like complete bullshit and I discovered more and more and became atheist.
     Reply #42 - May 25, 2010, 11:56 PM

everyone i know also stopped praying. even a salafi guy i met had to stop praing cuz his knees had gotten all f'ed from all the praying,
    the human body is not meant to do that shit 5 times a day seriously. and neither is it meant to starv itself. where i live during ramadan this year
    there will be daylight like 24/7 so if you follow the sun youd have to stay away from food and drink for probably 23h a day for a whole month.
    yet islam is meant to be "for all mankind".
     Reply #43 - May 26, 2010, 12:01 AM

everyone i know also stopped praying. even a salafi guy i met had to stop praing cuz his knees had gotten all f'ed from all the praying,
    the human body is not meant to do that shit 5 times a day seriously. and neither is it meant to starv itself. where i live during ramadan this year
    there will be daylight like 24/7 so if you follow the sun youd have to stay away from food and drink for probably 23h a day for a whole month.
    yet islam is meant to be "for all mankind".

I would be like F THIS!@!!! if I had to fast 23/7 for a month! People who do it can torture themselves...
     Reply #44 - May 26, 2010, 09:01 AM

How to survive Ramadhan? For lunch, go somewhere where you know that no other Muslim will be going and will see you. Your best bet is a pub in the gay district of town.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #45 - May 26, 2010, 09:34 AM

How to survive Ramadhan? For lunch, go somewhere where you know that no other Muslim will be going and will see you. Your best bet is a pub in the gay district of town.

Watch there be bunch of gay muslims there  Cheesy
     Reply #46 - May 26, 2010, 02:07 PM

@ post, i am in the same situation as well. what i dread most is taraweeh/tahajjud prayers i will have to attend with my family....and the mosques my family pray at usually have the longest freaking prayers, it is almost as if the imams are in a sort of competition to see who has the longest taraweeh... Cry Cry
    i guess my best bet is to find a mosque that performs shorter taraweeh and convince my family that i prefer that mosque because the imam's recitation captures my attention!!! Huh? Roll Eyes

"There aint no devil, it's just God when he's drunk"- Tom Waits
     Reply #47 - May 26, 2010, 02:20 PM

I find the very pious previous lifestyle of many ex-Muslims on this site quite odd. I only prayed Tarawih 2 or 3 times during the past 30+ years of my life.

My piousness has always been (and is still) limited to avoiding the big sins and maintaining the 5 pillars.. no extras... no praying all night long or going to Tarawih or anything like that...

how come the majority of ex-Muslims on this site used to be very religious?

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #48 - May 26, 2010, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say "very religious" - Me for example, I don't think I was overly religious but I still said most taraveeh prayers every year from the age of about 12 till 19. And if you go to the mosque for taraveeh, you can see that a lot of the people there are not massively religious at all, especially the young people who sit at the back and have a laugh!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #49 - May 26, 2010, 02:31 PM

I find the very pious previous lifestyle of many ex-Muslims on this site quite odd. I only prayed Tarawih 2 or 3 times during the past 30+ years of my life.

My piousness has always been (and is still) limited to avoiding the big sins and maintaining the 5 pillars.. no extras... no praying all night long or going to Tarawih or anything like that...

i can only speak for myself debunker, i guess when one bites the faith cake there is no telling how far one is willing to go to please allah. in islam if you want to please allah you have to be like mohammed and do everything as if allah was watchin all the time, this leads one to the hadith which decribe mohammed's life in great detail. So as far as the religious muslim is concerned he is just trying to follow the sunnah and be more like Mo. There was a time i was so religious i stopped shakin hands with females, destroyed all my music cds and had all my jeans above my ankles etc, because i had eaten the faith cake i felt better anytime i sacrificed anything for allah (i was blinded by faith)...hope i made sense?

"There aint no devil, it's just God when he's drunk"- Tom Waits
     Reply #50 - May 26, 2010, 02:43 PM

i can only speak for myself debunker, i guess when one bites the faith cake there is no telling how far one is willing to go to please allah. in islam if you want to please allah you have to be like mohammed and do everything as if allah was watchin all the time, this leads one to the hadith which decribe mohammed's life in great detail. So as far as the religious muslim is concerned he is just trying to follow the sunnah and be more like Mo. There was a time i was so religious i stopped shakin hands with females, destroyed all my music cds and had all my jeans above my ankles etc, because i had eaten the faith cake i felt better anytime i sacrificed anything for allah (i was blinded by faith)...hope i made sense?

that bit about my your jeans is just so funny... anyway, I read quite a few testimonies on this site and the majority were pious Muslims before they apostated!

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #51 - May 26, 2010, 04:09 PM

Fasting isn't that bad. I've done it for several days before and you get to a point where you stop being hungry at all. But It wasn't too great for my body Tongue and since I'm NOT religious I'd rather not suck it up and fast. Why mess with my metabolism? wacko

And yes, I'll just stay out of the house when its ramadan Tongue

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #52 - May 26, 2010, 04:20 PM

that bit about my your jeans is just so funny... anyway, I read quite a few testimonies on this site and the majority were pious Muslims before they apostated!

Maybe because people who get deep into Islam, people who see it for what it is, can spot all the gaping holes in it?
     Reply #53 - May 26, 2010, 04:21 PM

Maybe it's the extremeness that pushed them away eventually? Or maybe they have an 'all or nothing' mentality.
     Reply #54 - May 26, 2010, 05:40 PM

Luckily as I'm not living with the parents anymore, I don't have to fast or pray, but ocassionally when I do visit them I always say I'm on my period.  That suits me, and they never bug me about it. 

Although one year I couldn't do that and stayed with them for few days, and gosh it was awful.  For me it's not really the fast that's the problem (had a lil hdden stash), or even the praying (as I'll lock the door and read a book instead), but I really hate waking up for sehri!  I absolutely despised it, especially when I had to go work in a few hours. 

So to the OP, just eat when you pop out.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #55 - May 26, 2010, 06:53 PM

I don't think the ex-Muslims on this site use to be very religious, just that their parents were very religious and dragged them into these long tarawihs. Btw, what is a tarawih?

Luckily as I'm not living with the parents anymore, I don't have to fast or pray, but ocassionally when I do visit them I always say I'm on my period.  That suits me, and they never bug me about it. 

Although one year I couldn't do that and stayed with them for few days, and gosh it was awful.  For me it's not really the fast that's the problem (had a lil hdden stash), or even the praying (as I'll lock the door and read a book instead), but I really hate waking up for sehri!  I absolutely despised it, especially when I had to go work in a few hours. 

Thanks for the advice, since I have my license now I will drive out and eat  grin12
     Reply #56 - May 26, 2010, 09:00 PM

but I really hate waking up for sehri!  I absolutely despised it, especially when I had to go work in a few hours.

Why didn't you have a meal just before you went to bed? that's what I do. Even my dad sometimes does that.
     Reply #57 - May 26, 2010, 09:25 PM

debunker,
    It seems so,  doesn't it?
    I think religious Muslims really do care about the truth.  It's just that they are deluded.  If it can be proven to them that they are spending all their time and effort worshipping a figment of their own imagination, they will feel extremely stupid and cheated.  And they will find the courage to apostatise rather than remain in delusion for the sake of convenience.
    For me, as soon as I had doubts about the truth of Islam, I decided to think for myself and put Islam under the microscope of science. Once I decided to do that, religion was effectively dead meat, for me.

Regarding Tarawih, you will be surprised how seriously Indian/Pakistani Muslims take it.  Even Muslims who hardly pray all year might go to pray Tarawih.  Perhaps, they just want to be part of the Ramadhan experience.  Religious Muslims find this ridiculous too, because Tarawih is not even fardh!  There are also many other contradictions in the practices of Muslims living in densely populated Muslim areas.  Perhaps, they haven't really thought deeply about religion, and they are just conforming to the norms around them.  See 'crowd psychology' on wikipedia.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #58 - May 26, 2010, 09:46 PM

Maybe because people who get deep into Islam, people who see it for what it is, can spot all the gaping holes in it?

I second that! Smiley

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #59 - May 26, 2010, 09:48 PM

I think every woman should thank Islam for making her period everyone's business. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »