Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Story of Moses in the Quran

(Read 17646 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Story of Moses in the Quran
     Reply #60 - May 14, 2010, 01:05 PM

No, it only makes you the fucking annoying hypocrite that you are!

It is hypocritical to accept the the probability is higher for something that is observed every day than something which is never observed, how is that?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #61 - May 14, 2010, 01:23 PM

@ rationalizer

It is hypocritical to accept the the probability is higher for something that is observed every day than something which is never observed, how is that?

If you tried this behavior with me on FFI, I would have certainly taught you a lesson, you won't forget... unfortunately, here, goddess Cheetah is very generous with her smites!

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #62 - May 14, 2010, 01:25 PM

From Cheetah do we come and to Cheetah do we return.
     Reply #63 - May 14, 2010, 01:28 PM

Hey debunker - if you don't want to interact with The Rationalizer use the ignore button.  Don't insult him again, you are on smite 2 after all.....

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #64 - May 14, 2010, 01:30 PM

Yeah DB please don't get yourself banned, it would be foolish.
     Reply #65 - May 14, 2010, 01:34 PM

@ BD

I don't see how these two fallacies apply to what I said. But what do you call this fallacy:

When someone does not believe in either the Bible, or the Quran, and when they spot a discrepancy between the two books (big or small, and boy are they so many) they go: Aha! That's an error in the Quran! What's the name of this fallacy?

For example, when some idiot, whose name I dare not mention, doesn't believe in either the Quran or the Bible, thinks that since the Bible says the "tablets" were *two* stone tablets and thus the Quran must be wrong since *two* tablets cannot possibly contain the entire Torah, when the Quran didn't actually say anything about how many tablets there were (except from the word *Alwah* we know that according to Quran, they were more than *two* tablets), what kind of fallacy is that idiot committing?

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #66 - May 14, 2010, 01:36 PM

Hey debunker - if you don't want to interact with The Rationalizer use the ignore button.  Don't insult him again, you are on smite 2 after all.....

wait: let me get this straight, you don't have a system of forgiveness? These smites were more than a couple of months ago! I thought the slate has been wiped clean for me in terms of smites! Such unforgiving goddess you are, Cheetah!

Reply #67 - May 14, 2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the list of fallacies, BD. Interesting stuff.

Ok, suppose someone you *trust* told you this whole story, would you believe it, all or part of it? ... you're giving credibility to the narrator(s) of this Hadith, then there's no gray area here, it's either the whole story or none of it... besides, it proves nothing! Can you prove that this Christian guy was NOT lying?

Part of it, of course. I tend to believe things only if they don't run contrary to observation, probability and common sense. Like Carl Sagan said, 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.'

And we know that the ahadith were compiled about 200 years after Muhammad's time. That's plenty of time for them to be fabricated or to have things added to them. That doesn't mean the events they talk about never happened.

And I didn't intend it to 'prove' anything. You'd be hard-pressed to 'prove' without a shadow of a doubt that Muhammad existed. Rather, it was just a single piece of evidence that I used to show that there were people in Muhammad's time who had knowledge of the stories and scriptures of other peoples. Therefore, he could have learned of these stories from these people.

Your original argument was that Muhammad must have learned about all of these stories and that that would have been almost impossible for him, as an illiterate man, to do. I simply provided a number of examples of other people from the time who knew about these things, and so your claim that Muhammad himself could not have known this stuff becomes weak.

This is simply an epistemic argument about what we can and cannot know about Muhammad and the people around him.
     Reply #68 - May 14, 2010, 01:43 PM

wait: let me get this straight, you don't have a system of forgiveness? These smites were more than a couple of months ago! I thought the slate has been wiped clean for me in terms of smites! Such unforgiving goddess you are, Cheetah!

It probly would have been if you hadn't been on a self ban for most of that time.  We can hardly give you credit for not insulting people when you're not even here.  Tongue

Just use the ignore button, that's what its for.  

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #69 - May 14, 2010, 01:49 PM

@ BD

I don't see how these two fallacies apply to what I said. But what do you call this fallacy:

When someone does not believe in either the Bible, or the Quran, and when they spot a discrepancy between the two books (big or small, and boy are they so many) they go: Aha! That's an error in the Quran! What's the name of this fallacy?

For example, when some idiot, whose name I dare not mention, doesn't believe in either the Quran or the Bible, thinks that since the Bible says the "tablets" were *two* stone tablets and thus the Quran must be wrong since *two* tablets cannot possibly contain the entire Torah, when the Quran didn't actually says anything about how many tablets there were (except from the word *Alwah* we know that according to Quran, they were more than *two* tablets), what kind of fallacy is that idiot committing?

The first fallacy is that you said "but my research can either be an evidence that Muhammed was a prophet or it can simply prove nothing at all." So either Muhammad is a prophet or it doesn't prove nothing at all? Shouldn't a third alternative be that Muhammad was not a prophet? That Islam is then not true?

The second fallacy is that you said:

"And my point regarding this hadith is: if you're going to believe part of it, then you have to accept it all! It's like reading a verse, believing half of it and rejecting the other half!"

Is this really an effective way of looking at life? Don't you do the same with Biblical verses? Accept the parts that gel with the Quran and discard the rest? I think your issue with this is the cherry-picking (as you would call it) and you feel this is intellectual dishonesty. But the alternative is accepting the entire hadith? There is a supernatural event in there, which is hard to accept (and you agree). Your contention is discard the entire thing because of the supernatural event, our contention is that this is not the first hadith about scribes, and the Quran mentions this problem does exist. The tafsir and hadith point to scribes adding stuff to the Quran, and other problems with scribes.

Taking it from a POV, that Muhammad did not have divine help you would go for the points where the scribes are helping Muhammad. Again with the motivation that we have already discussed.

Taking it from your POV you would either see the hadith as entirely true (scribes were liars and Allah spat them out from the grave) or discarding the entire hadith because otherwise you'd have to accept that scribes were not liars and/or supernatural event (which I guess you can do with faith, or if you believe in miracles as you said)

And stop saying idiot, its quite clear what you mean and there is no need for it. It does not help us and causes strife and drama.
     Reply #70 - May 14, 2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the list of fallacies, BD. Interesting stuff.

Part of it, of course. I tend to believe things only if they don't run contrary to observation, probability and common sense. Like Carl Sagan said, 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.'

And we know that the ahadith were compiled about 200 years after Muhammad's time. That's plenty of time for them to be fabricated or to have things added to them. That doesn't mean the events they talk about never happened.

And I didn't intend it to 'prove' anything. You'd be hard-pressed to 'prove' without a shadow of a doubt that Muhammad existed. Rather, it was just a single piece of evidence that I used to show that there were people in Muhammad's time who had knowledge of the stories and scriptures of other peoples. Therefore, he could have learned of these stories from these people.

Your original argument was that Muhammad must have learned about all of these stories and that that would have been almost impossible for him, as an illiterate man, to do. I simply provided a number of examples of other people from the time who knew about these things, and so your claim that Muhammad himself could not have known this stuff becomes weak.

This is simply an epistemic argument about what we can and cannot know about Muhammad and the people around him.

actually Zebdee, you used a hadith, from non other than Bukhari's book to convince me... but if I were a believer in the "holiness" of Bukhari's book, that hadith would only increase my faith as it includes a silly little miracle that supposedly re-inforces the notion of Muhammed's prophethood... so not only are you ignoring the inconvenient part of the hadith, but you also expect a Muslim who believes in every Hadith in Bukhari's book to ignore that little part of it! (not to mention that no one could prove that guy wasn't lying...)

So all in all, that hadith is not helpful at all, not even for some Muslim who practically views Bukhari as a second prophet.  

Reply #71 - May 14, 2010, 01:58 PM

@ rationalizer

If you tried this behavior with me on FFI, I would have certainly taught you a lesson, you won't forget...

heheheheh...I almost forgot how much i missed his tight-ass  Wink

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #72 - May 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

The first fallacy is that you said "but my research can either be an evidence that Muhammed was a prophet or it can simply prove nothing at all." So either Muhammad is a prophet or it doesn't prove nothing at all? Shouldn't a third alternative be that Muhammad was not a prophet? That Islam is then not true?

How can my research prove Muhammed copied it/distorted it all? That's only a speculation that can NEVER be proven... like I said in my other post, unless you have a point of reference (for example, you believe the Bible is true) you cannot prove Muhammed distorted it and other non-canonical accounts.

The second fallacy is that you said:

"And my point regarding this hadith is: if you're going to believe part of it, then you have to accept it all! It's like reading a verse, believing half of it and rejecting the other half!"

Is this really an effective way of looking at life? Don't you do the same with Biblical verses? Accept the parts that gel with the Quran and discard the rest? I think your issue with this is the cherry-picking (as you would call it) and you feel this is intellectual dishonesty. But the alternative is accepting the entire hadith? There is a supernatural event in there, which is hard to accept (and you agree). Your contention is discard the entire thing because of the supernatural event, our contention is that this is not the first hadith about scribes, and the Quran mentions this problem does exist. The tafsir and hadith point to scribes adding stuff to the Quran, and other problems with scribes.

Taking it from a POV, that Muhammad did not have divine help you would go for the points where the scribes are helping Muhammad. Again with the motivation that we have already discussed.

Taking it from your POV you would either see the hadith as entirely true (scribes were liars and Allah spat them out from the grave) or discarding the entire hadith because otherwise you'd have to accept that scribes were not liars and/or supernatural event (which I guess you can do with faith, or if you believe in miracles as you said)

When I reject/accept verses from the Bible, that's based on my point of reference, the Quran.

When I rejected that Hadith, it's because I believe Muhammed did NOT perform miracles (according to Quran).

In your case, however, you don't believe in the credibility of either the Quran, Bible, Talmud, Hadiths, etc, so what's your point of reference? Science, right? Science says there are no miracles so the credibility of that narrator(s) of that hadith must be damaged for you and thus you should discard it as well.

And stop saying idiot, its quite clear what you mean and there is no need for it. It does not help us and causes strife and drama.

I can't help it.. I can't stand him and he keeps insulting me by addressing me when I don't want him to... it's very rude... I'm sure if someone did the same with you, you'd be greatly pissed off!

Anyway, so what's the name of that fallacy, again?

Reply #73 - May 14, 2010, 02:10 PM

It probly would have been if you hadn't been on a self ban for most of that time.  We can hardly give you credit for not insulting people when you're not even here.  Tongue

Just use the ignore button, that's what its for.  

Cry

Reply #74 - May 14, 2010, 02:38 PM

actually Zebdee, you used a hadith, from non other than Bukhari's book to convince me... but if I were a believer in the "holiness" of Bukhari's book, that hadith would only increase my faith as it includes a silly little miracle that supposedly re-inforces the notion of Muhammed's prophethood... so not only are you ignoring the inconvenient part of the hadith, but you also expect a Muslim who believes in every Hadith in Bukhari's book to ignore that little part of it! (not to mention that no one could prove that guy wasn't lying...)

So all in all, that hadith is not helpful at all, not even for some Muslim who practically views Bukhari as a second prophet.  

Like I said, the fact that fables can sometimes accompany accounts of historical events does not mean that such events never occurred. If you look at history, you will find plenty of examples of this.

At the same time, belief is not something that people have complete conscious control over. I'm sure there are many non-literalist Muslims who don't believe absolutely everything they read in the books of hadith.

Nevertheless, if they're being consistent in their faith then they will accept these narrations, provided they're not 'weak.' And just like anyone else, they will much sooner believe the simple discriptions of events from the prophet's time than the incredible miracle stories.

The hadith isn't exactly decisive in proving plagiarism on Muhammad's part, but it does show that there were people who claimed to teach Muhammad about the stories of ancient peoples, and it is therefore entirely possible that Muhammad got his information from such people.

It simply means that Muslims can't claim that Muhammad was an illiterate ignoramus. There were people around him who knew these things, and as such, it's entirely possible that he too could have learned about them.

There goes the idea held by many Muslims that Muhammad lived in a vacuum and could never have known about these things unless God had told him.
     Reply #75 - May 14, 2010, 02:57 PM

Nevertheless, if they're being consistent in their faith then they will accept these narrations, provided they're not 'weak.'

And who defines "weak"? Prophet Bukhari? Is there a verse in the Quran that goes like: "in the future, 200 years after the death of Muhammed, there will be a 2 million Hadiths ciculating around! The vast majority of these are lies!!!! Wait for prophet Bukhari, prophet Muslim, prophet Abu Dawood! etc, These new prophets will tell you which of these hadiths are lies and which are not!" ?

Seriously, who gave guys like Bukhari the right to decide, on my behalf, which Hadiths to believe and which to reject? I'm not breaking any laws here, it's (Sunni) Muslims who invented a law that effectively renders Bukhari a prophet and his work into a holy book...

The hadith isn't exactly decisive in proving plagiarism on Muhammad's part, but it does show that there were people who claimed to teach Muhammad about the stories of ancient peoples, and it is therefore entirely possible that Muhammad got his information from such people.

We don't need the Hadith for that... the Quran itself said peple said he was being taught... that's just one among a long list of accusations listed by the Quran itself.

It simply means that Muslims can't claim that Muhammad was an illiterate ignoramus. There were people around him who knew these things, and as such, it's entirely possible that he too could have learned about them.

Sure, there were Jews/Christians (mostly Jews, though)... but that doesn't prove anything... it does not seem to explain (within an atheistic perspective) the colorful variety of sources, the Quran was supposedly distorting stories from. How many people of different sects, adhering to different books and willing to teach Muhammed their religious views did he come across? And why bther adopt (by distorting) so many sources? why not stick to two or three main sources?

Anyway, this needs a lot of research.

There goes the idea held by many Muslims that Muhammad lived in a vacuum and could never have known about these things unless God had told him.

I didn't know that Mslims believed he lived in a vaccuum.. he certainly had contact with Christians/Jews, but the question is, how many sects, how many books and how many would bother teaching him, and why would he go through all the headache? why not 2 or 3 sources? why adopt the most severe version of monotheism in complete antagony to his people's religion... and all for what? to live poor for the rest of his life in his exile in Medina?

Reply #76 - May 14, 2010, 03:16 PM

If you tried this behavior with me on FFI, I would have certainly taught you a lesson, you won't forget... unfortunately, here, goddess Cheetah is very generous with her smites!

What is FFI? You shouldn't be smited for being rude to me, I am capable of ignoring you, water off a duck's back as far as I am concerned.

In fact I see it as quite normal, religious people tend to either walk away angry or stay and get aggressive as soon as you start to question their unfounded beliefs. I don't see why you should be expected to be any different.

Reply #77 - May 14, 2010, 03:31 PM

What is FFI?

I hope you enjoy your time there.
    http://forum09.faithfreedom.org/index.php?sid=895f281299abf9ba1ab6b627548d57e6

In fact I see it as quite normal, religious people tend to either walk away angry or stay and get aggressive as soon as you start to question their unfounded beliefs. I don't see why you should be expected to be any different.

I thought we already discussed the fact that you are way more intelligent than myself and that your questions threaten my beliefs the most, etc, etc... you're basically very scary and you might turn me into an apostate.. that's why I can't stand you... so? now that I reminded you of some of our old conversation, could you please leave me in peace? please? I humbly ask you, oh scary one, to leave me in peace!

Reply #78 - May 14, 2010, 03:34 PM

I don't have enough spare time.

I thought we already discussed the fact that you are way more intelligent than myself and that your questions threaten my beliefs the most, etc, etc... you're basically very scary and you might turn me into an apostate.. that's why I can't stand you... so? now that I reminded you of some of our old conversation, could you please leave me in peace? please? I humbly ask you, oh scary one, to leave me in peace!

My aim isn't to make you an apostate, only you can do that. But I won't sit quietly by while you say stuff in a public forum that I have opinions on. You are free to click the ignore button, I won't mind in the slightest (nor notice.) I comment about your opinions, I don't not require your attention.

Reply #79 - May 14, 2010, 03:38 PM

I don't have enough spare time.

Tsk... I meant forget about this site, and go there instead grin12

My aim isn't to make you an apostate, only you can do that. But I won't sit quietly by while you say stuff in a public forum that I have opinions on. You are free to click the ignore button, I won't mind in the slightest (nor notice.) I comment about your opinions, I don't not require your attention.

I'm pretty sure that, according to basic human communication norms, if you're *addressing* someone, then you *are* indeed seeking their attention... now, like I said, you're free to comment, in any way you want, about anything I say... it's just very rude to keep addressing someone who doesn't want to talk to you.. have you no self-esteem at all?

Reply #80 - May 14, 2010, 04:01 PM

And who defines "weak"? Prophet Bukhari? Is there a verse in the Quran that goes like: "in the future, 200 years after the death of Muhammed, there will be a 2 million Hadiths ciculating around! The vast majority of these are lies!!!! Wait for prophet Bukhari, prophet Muslim, prophet Abu Dawood! etc, These new prophets will tell you which of these hadiths are lies and which are not!" ?

Seriously, who gave guys like Bukhari the right to decide, on my behalf, which Hadiths to believe and which to reject? I'm not breaking any laws here, it's (Sunni) Muslims who invented a law that effectively renders Bukhari a prophet and his work into a holy book...

We don't need the Hadith for that... the Quran itself said peple said he was being taught... that's just one among a long list of accusations listed by the Quran itself.

Sure, there were Jews/Christians (mostly Jews, though)... but that doesn't prove anything... it does not seem to explain (within an atheistic perspective) the colorful variety of sources, the Quran was supposedly distorting stories from. How many people of different sects, adhering to different books and willing to teach Muhammed their religious views did he come across? And why bther adopt (by distorting) so many sources? why not stick to two or three main sources?

Anyway, this needs a lot of research.

I didn't know that Mslims believed he lived in a vaccuum.. he certainly had contact with Christians/Jews, but the question is, how many sects, how many books and how many would bother teaching him, and why would he go through all the headache? why not 2 or 3 sources? why adopt the most severe version of monotheism in complete antagony to his people's religion... and all for what? to live poor for the rest of his life in his exile in Medina?

What is 'weak' is decided upon by the scholars of hadith, just as historians decide upon reliable and unreliable accounts of history.

This is done by a collective effort, and Bukhari's ahadith stand on their own merits, not because he claimed some divine warrant dictating that his own collection was infallible.

I simply refer to Bukhari's work because it is the one that Muslims regard as being the most reliable.

And yes the Qur'an mentions how people said that Muhammad was a 'fabricator,' 'sorcerer,' 'poet,' etc. However, the fact that there are accounts of people from whom Muhammad could have learned what he knew makes the criticism stronger. It can't be brushed off as baseless accusation if there's historical evidence that supports the hypothesis.

Given the plurality of religions and sects within Arabia at the time, be it the Sabians, Ebionites, Pagans, Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians or whoever else, it's hardly surprising that Muhammad could have heard very varied and numerous myths and stories.

But there's really nothing unusual about using a load of different sources and stories. Why wouldn't you want to put variation into the Qur'an rather than using just a few sources?

If Muhammad was trying to persuade people to join his religion, then he's likely going to take stories and practices from the religions of others in trying to convert them. He would want to be inclusive and would not want people to think that they were joining some completely new and alien religion. People would more likely convert if the practices and beliefs of Islam were similar to the ones they already had.

Although Muslims wouldn't actually word it like that, I've seen a number of examples where they've said the like of 'Well, Muhammad was illiterate so how could he possibly have read all these books and plagiarised from them?' In reality, he didn't even have to be literate to know about these things, people have other means of communication.

And of course, the pagans of Arabia did in fact believe in Allah, 'the God.' As in Muhammad's name, Ibn Abdullah, 'son of the servant of God.' The idea of the one god was around before Muhammad. The pagans just thought that their idols could intercede on their behalf to Allah. Muhammad simply contradicted this with a more monotheistic religion, but it was not an idea that was completely alien to the pagans.

In this, I think Muhammad had genuinely good intentions. He wanted to do away with the nonsensical beliefs of the pagan idolaters. At the same time, he wanted to abolish the immoral practices of Jahiliyya, such as child infanticide, the treatment of women as property, and so on.

He also may have had more self-interested motives. But in any case, I think his desire to bring about much-needed change to Arabian society motivated him, and founding the religion of Islam was the means by which he sought to do this.

And of course, the story of Muhammad's life didn't end with his exile to Medina.
     Reply #81 - May 14, 2010, 05:26 PM

What is 'weak' is decided upon by the scholars of hadith, just as historians decide upon reliable and unreliable accounts of history.

Great, but when you see how very simplistic the standards they implemented are, resulting in numerous laughable contradictions, then why should I just accept their "scholarship"? I have shown before, many laughable mistakes of both Bukhari and other "scholars" (especialy those in Tafsir).

I don't see any reason why I should bound by their "scholarship"...

This is done by a collective effort, and Bukhari's ahadith stand on their own merits, not because he claimed some divine warrant dictating that his own collection was infallible.

Look, I never blamed Bukhari, by the way.. well, sometimes I do sound frustrated with him, but it's really my frustration with Sunnis who elevate him to the rank of an inspired prophet.

I simply refer to Bukhari's work because it is the one that Muslims regard as being the most reliable.

Practically, Sunnis treat his book as holy (even though they deny it). They simply need to believe in a savior who ended the corruption of Hadith.

And yes the Qur'an mentions how people said that Muhammad was a 'fabricator,' 'sorcerer,' 'poet,' etc. However, the fact that there are accounts of people from whom Muhammad could have learned what he knew makes the criticism stronger. It can't be brushed off as baseless accusation if there's historical evidence that supports the hypothesis.

Historical evidence? The Quran, which I believe in, already confirms there were such accusations, so why would I brush them off?

Given the plurality of religions and sects within Arabia at the time, be it the Sabians, Ebionites, Pagans, Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians or whoever else, it's hardly surprising that Muhammad could have heard very varied and numerous myths and stories.

Pagans? Irrelevant. Sabians? Irrelevant, because the Quran was probably referring to an extinct religious group. Ebionites? I'll check that out. Zorostrians? Now, that you mention it, it's weird that he didn't add a distinctively Zoroastrian element to Quran.. why ignore them? Jews/Christians? Now that's relevant... how many sects, how many books, how many were willing to educate him? why he changed most of these? why all the headache, etc, etc, etc.

But there's really nothing unusual about using a load of different sources and stories. Why wouldn't you want to put variation into the Qur'an rather than using just a few sources?

If I'm a fabricator, with no scholarship skills, let alone reading skills, I'd try to keep it simple... very, very simple and limit my efforts to distorting stories from a single source!

If Muhammad was trying to persuade people to join his religion, then he's likely going to take stories and practices from the religions of others in trying to convert them. He would want to be inclusive and would not want people to think that they were joining some completely new and alien religion. People would more likely convert if the practices and beliefs of Islam were similar to the ones they already had.

Dude, the Jesus story alone is distorted/tailored from ~10 different Gospels! Why would that attract any of the many sects following only subsets of these books? For example, Satan's fall from grace, was "stolen/distorted" from an obscure Jewish book from Egypt... (I listed a few links in this thread)... why would he do that?

Although Muslims wouldn't actually word it like that, I've seen a number of examples where they've said the like of 'Well, Muhammad was illiterate so how could he possibly have read all these books and plagiarised from them?' In reality, he didn't even have to be literate to know about these things, people have other means of communication.

I already replied to that.

And of course, the pagans of Arabia did in fact believe in Allah, 'the God.' As in Muhammad's name, Ibn Abdullah, 'son of the servant of God.' The idea of the one god was around before Muhammad. The pagans just thought that their idols could intercede on their behalf to Allah. Muhammad simply contradicted this with a more monotheistic religion, but it was not an idea that was completely alien to the pagans.

All you said is true, except he harshly criticized their religion... why couldn't he accept their generous offers?

In this, I think Muhammad had genuinely good intentions. He wanted to do away with the nonsensical beliefs of the pagan idolaters. At the same time, he wanted to abolish the immoral practices of Jahiliyya, such as child infanticide, the treatment of women as property, and so on.

Are you saying he really believed his own false claims? was he hallucinating, then?

He also may have had more self-interested motives. But in any case, I think his desire to bring about much-needed change to Arabian society motivated him, and founding the religion of Islam was the means by which he sought to do this.

So he didn't believe in any gods (who might punish him for claiming he was the prophet of the true ONE God), but he tailored a monotheistic religion only for political goals? Pluasible, but our topic is the insistence, from his part on distorting from too many sources, while lacking basic scholarship (he couldn't even read so why not limit his fabrications to one source only).

And of course, the story of Muhammad's life didn't end with his exile to Medina.

I didn't say it ended there, but there are many Hadiths that say he lived poor (there are contradicting ones as well, well never mind this point, then).

Reply #82 - May 15, 2010, 09:27 AM

Tsk... I meant forget about this site, and go there instead grin12

Confrontation takes up more time, I prefer to talk to people who can see both sides of an argument. It's not my purpose in life to try to convert everyone from their unfounded beliefs.

I'm pretty sure that, according to basic human communication norms, if you're *addressing* someone, then you *are* indeed seeking their attention... now, like I said, you're free to comment, in any way you want, about anything I say... it's just very rude to keep addressing someone who doesn't want to talk to you.. have you no self-esteem at all?

As I said, if I want to address you then I will. If I don't want to address you I may just point out my opinions on what you said. I said that I don't "require" your attention. Even if I knew you had put me on ignore I would comment on your posts.

As I said, you are free to place me on ignore, please do feel free to do so, but don't expect to be able to give me orders and to have me follow them, it's just not going to happen.

Reply #83 - May 15, 2010, 10:01 PM

@ rationalizer

As I said, if I want to address you then I will. If I don't want to address you I may just point out my opinions on what you said. I said that I don't "require" your attention. Even if I knew you had put me on ignore I would comment on your posts.

alright then... I'll try my best to insult you, within the allowed limits of this forum... you just wait and see, you special needs brat.

Reply #84 - May 15, 2010, 10:03 PM

ROFL

debunker you need to get laid bro.
     Reply #85 - May 15, 2010, 10:04 PM

lol... do I sound like someone under pressure?? well, I am... the defense day is getting closer.

Reply #86 - May 15, 2010, 10:10 PM

You'll do fine bro Smiley Once you've made up your mind, you're pretty good at arguing for your point.

That's why I think you should join the Dark Side.  evil Trust me the perks are much better.

Have fun here with us instead.

What interests do you have?

Reply #87 - May 15, 2010, 10:10 PM

ROFL

Leave Debunker alone! Or you'll have me to answer to  grin12
     Reply #88 - May 15, 2010, 10:11 PM

lol
     Reply #89 - May 15, 2010, 10:19 PM

You'll do fine bro Smiley Once you've made up your mind, you're pretty good at arguing for your point.

That's why I think you should join the Dark Side.  evil Trust me the perks are much better.

Have fun here with us instead.

What interests do you have?

Interests? Not much... they're mostly outdoors related (hiking, biking, running, etc)... none of that after I'm back, of course.

Oh! yeah, I also like people watching... not in the conventional sense, no... I mean like really observing people... listening to the things they don't say, rather than the things they do say... it might sound freaky, but it's really entertaining! Am I sick?

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »