Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: stevevargas?

(Read 9745 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: stevevargas?
     Reply #30 - May 10, 2010, 11:22 AM

Cheesy

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #31 - May 10, 2010, 11:33 AM

Thanks. I hope you can find help with your questions here over time. You ask some really pertinent questions. Would you say that you are trying to find a tradition of Islam that is less harsh, one that is more focussed on a more tolerant, inward form of worship?

its because i am not really too good in english.i dont have sound english education while i was in early schooling.all i am learning is now through putting in efforts that why i think i screw the sentence structure.yes i am talking about sufuism.Not in a sense of finding a god but what really meditation is,what kind of realtion between soul and divinity is created as claimed by who practise it.

Reply #32 - May 10, 2010, 11:53 AM

Cheesy
     Reply #33 - May 10, 2010, 11:57 AM

its because i am not really too good in english.i dont have sound english education while i was in early schooling.all i am learning is now through putting in efforts that why i think i screw the sentence structure.yes i am talking about sufuism.Not in a sense of finding a god but what really meditation is,what kind of realtion between soul and divinity is created as claimed by who practise it.

Meditation is just a form of mental exercise, involving heightened concentration, repetition of some mantras, leading to a sense of heightened consciousness, and hyper awareness. People who do this often associate it with a sense of something spiritual and divine. Even if you don't believe in the divine, the 'effects' of meditation can be seen from a scientific, biological perspective. It is especially strong as a form of worship in Hinduism and Buddhism that accords with the idea of divinity being internal to the individual - the divine is inside each man and woman as part of a universal force, spirit or "God" - but meditation upon a mantra (the equivalent in sufism would be a focus and repetition on the name of Allah / God) is often used by those who don't believe in God and and just practise it because they find it to be a replenishing and helpful form of mental exercise. Just as millions of people practise yoga without nesesscarily believing in any religious aspect rooted in its Hindu origins.

The question, steve, is one of faith. Do you believe in the divinity of this process? Nobody can tell you either way. If you have faith you will believe in it. Do you believe meditation is an affirmation of your divinity and union with a higher being? Do you have that faith? Others cannot tell you this is right or this is wrong to direct you (they can only say that they believe it to be right or wrong). You have to go on this journey yourself and reach your understanding. Others can guide you, be a friendly hand or conscience, but only you can take those steps yourself.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #34 - May 10, 2010, 12:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0peVQTdI3Yg&feature=channel
     Reply #35 - May 10, 2010, 12:37 PM

well whatever it is.i have witnessed people been healed through meditation and they say it is a great experience.i need a scientific relation of mediation and us.what is human inner being?how this can lead to healing without taking any medicine.even for some dangerous diseases

Reply #36 - May 10, 2010, 12:39 PM

Check these articles:

http://www.skepdic.com/faithhealing.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

http://www.skepdic.com/placebo.html

Reply #37 - May 10, 2010, 12:42 PM

well whatever it is.i have witnessed people been healed through meditation and they say it is a great experience.i need a scientific relation of mediation and us.what is human inner being?how this can lead to healing without taking any medicine.even for some dangerous diseases

One question, can you regrow a limb through meditation?
     Reply #38 - May 10, 2010, 12:46 PM

You are asking some very deep philosophical questions - at the same time, you are asking about some very dubious claims being made for meditation. Whilst meditation and its positive effects can be studied scientifically and rationally, and can personally aid a person in many ways in its beneficial effects as a form of mental exercise (and if you do believe it is a divine process, by making you feel closer to your essence, and to God), it is not a way of curing disease in and of itself. Anyone who says that, is a fraud.

Thats not to say that it cannot have clinical benefits, when used holistically, for certain ailments, but as a primary cure or medicinal process, that is not the case.

God is Love.

Reply #39 - May 10, 2010, 12:50 PM

Power of the mind and positive thought.

Though there are limitations. If you ever sever a limb/body part you could try meditating it back on if you want, but I'd advise you to go to the hospital as medical science will save your life and can reattach the limb/body part in some cases.
     Reply #40 - May 10, 2010, 12:57 PM

One question, can you regrow a limb through meditation?

If people could transform their bodies through power of the mind alone then perhaps my Junk Mail wouldn't be full of adverts for penor enlargement. Tongue

From my experience medititation is a form of mental and physical relaxation. Since it's well known that stress can lead to physical health problems, I don't see why relaxation (meditation) could not help mitigate certain health problems to an extent (even if they are only secondary, stress-related issues).

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #41 - May 10, 2010, 12:58 PM

so does a believe in something really helps.if we take it in perspective of healing or getting better off through having faith and practising meditation or stuff.

how does prayers work in favour of us.(considering there is no god )but sometimes when someone prays for us it really make things easier or works out for us.do prayers have any relation with or affect on things we do or hapening around  us.even when others pray for us.
     Reply #42 - May 10, 2010, 01:07 PM

Actually prayer and meditation are two seperate issues I would say.

http://www.skepdic.com/prayer.html

There was a study* done on intercessory prayer, the conclusion?

Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.

http://www.ahjonline.com/article/PIIS0002870305006496/abstract
     Reply #43 - May 10, 2010, 01:08 PM

Besides if prayer worked wouldn't we see less cancer cases in the Muslim world?
     Reply #44 - May 10, 2010, 01:12 PM

so does a believe in something really helps.if we take it in perspective of healing or getting better off through having faith and practising meditation or stuff.

how does prayers work in favour of us.(considering there is no god )but sometimes when someone prays for us it really make things easier or works out for us.do prayers have any relation with or affect on things we do or hapening around  us.even when others pray for us.

Personally I think a strong belief can have a powerful effect on one's psyche - though like I say it has it's limitations.

The biggest problem is you really have to believe.
     Reply #45 - May 10, 2010, 01:19 PM

Meditation and prayer are different things. Meditation is a process that leads to internality, which believers say can lead them to a feeling of union with an external divine. But even if you're not a believer you can practise it. It is self focussed, and is a kind of mental exercise.

Prayer is an appeal to a sky god, asking him for mercy, favour, or a worship of that sky god. In divine terms, it emphasises the separation of the person from the god.

God is Love.

Reply #46 - May 10, 2010, 01:22 PM

my bad i asked about prayer in the same thread and changed the topic from meditation to prayer.
    peace it
     Reply #47 - May 10, 2010, 02:59 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Vitamin Holocaust.

Cheesy
     Reply #48 - May 10, 2010, 03:10 PM

my bad i asked about prayer in the same thread and changed the topic from meditation to prayer.
    peace it

Hehe, I have heard of meditation and a positive mindset helping in the treatment of cancers (and similar), this I think is due to positive mindset and a determination to get through the disease and survive.
     Reply #49 - May 10, 2010, 04:14 PM

I mean if prayer and meditation relieves stress it will definitely help. But prayer can also make you more stressed, it's all about the mentality. The body can heal itself, but sometimes, no matter what your cancer will win.
     Reply #50 - May 10, 2010, 04:18 PM

I mean if prayer and meditation relieves stress it will definitely help. But prayer can also make you more stressed, it's all about the mentality. The body can heal itself, but sometimes, no matter what your cancer will win.

Yup, agreed. If you are praying and constantly thinking about hellfire, it will stress you out.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #51 - May 12, 2010, 08:23 PM

Hehe, I have heard of meditation and a positive mindset helping in the treatment of cancers (and similar), this I think is due to positive mindset and a determination to get through the disease and survive.

agreed.
    but how does or can prayers made by others do affect us.although we dont know of that prayer been made for us so therefore we cant have any kind of mindset.how does that affects
  • stevevargas?
     Reply #52 - February 07, 2015, 04:42 PM

i m dissapointed i must start with this.you ppl were so rude to me like i have stolen your ladies from your back.

lol

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »