Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"

(Read 272884 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 52 53 5455 56 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     Reply #1590 - November 10, 2014, 01:29 PM

Me too uberslave.

@doubterseeker - I'm glad you're adding the Arabic to ch 4 I was thinking I'd have to go back and do that. I'm assuming you can read Arabic. Not sure if I've seen your into. Would you like to do a quick one in intros section?

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciated Smiley
     Reply #1591 - November 10, 2014, 05:42 PM

Me too uberslave.

@doubterseeker - I'm glad you're adding the Arabic to ch 4 I was thinking I'd have to go back and do that. I'm assuming you can read Arabic. Not sure if I've seen your into. Would you like to do a quick one in intros section?

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciated Smiley

I can read Arabic, albeit very slowly. And what intro are we talking about by the way?
     Reply #1592 - November 10, 2014, 09:47 PM

Usually new members here make a separate thread to introduce themselves and tell us a bit about their lives or experiences or how they ended up here. It's nice to know more about who we're talking to, so I'd also love to see you make one!
     Reply #1593 - November 10, 2014, 11:15 PM

Good work, doubter_seeker9!  Afro

and Abu Ali. Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #1594 - November 10, 2014, 11:16 PM

Usually new members here make a separate thread to introduce themselves and tell us a bit about their lives or experiences or how they ended up here. It's nice to know more about who we're talking to, so I'd also love to see you make one!

Sure, whenever I get a chance, I'll write it out, and I'll let you know about it here. Might take a while, since my 'story' is still under development!
     Reply #1595 - November 12, 2014, 05:19 PM

Just a heads-up: I'm going to be very busy during the run up to Christmas, so pace of translation will slow a bit as I will either have no time or will be too knackered. I will try and do a bit every evening if I can - even if it just a couple of paragraphs. There is not much to go so hopefully won't be too long and I'm still hoping to finish by Christmas though - and get it released early 2015, inshallah!  grin12
     Reply #1596 - November 12, 2014, 09:10 PM

Thanks abu jaan.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #1597 - November 12, 2014, 10:33 PM

Jesus! This guy does get pretty lyrical and enigmatic at times!!

I'm just doing the opening paragraphs of chapter 3 and its pretty tough going.

His Arabic is of a very high standard but he at times gets a bit too flowery and flamboyant and at other times a little too concise and  cryptic.

Good exercise for the old grey cells though - the ones that are still working lol
     Reply #1598 - November 13, 2014, 12:26 PM

Just a heads-up: I'm going to be very busy during the run up to Christmas, so pace of translation will slow a bit as I will either have no time or will be too knackered. I will try and do a bit every evening if I can - even if it just a couple of paragraphs. There is not much to go so hopefully won't be too long and I'm still hoping to finish by Christmas though - and get it released early 2015, inshallah!  grin12

Don't worry about it, work at your own pace. It'll give me time to work on formatting super long chapter 4!

Jesus! This guy does get pretty lyrical and enigmatic at times!!

I'm just doing the opening paragraphs of chapter 3 and its pretty tough going.

His Arabic is of a very high standard but he at times gets a bit too flowery and flamboyant and at other times a little too concise and  cryptic.

Good exercise for the old grey cells though - the ones that are still working lol

You did a good job of keeping the author's style intact. When I'm reading the English translation, it still feels like I'm reading Arabic for some reason....  especially when the author is making sarcastic statements!
     Reply #1599 - November 13, 2014, 12:41 PM

Yes I can't help imitating the way Arabic phrases sentences - so I'm not surprised it feels like reading Arabic lol.
     Reply #1600 - November 14, 2014, 11:45 PM

Reading your translations here and there I can only distantly imagine what work it is to actually translate this work to English with the rhythm you do.

I am not a native Englishian but the flow to me is evident. I read through long translations without even noticing.

I think it is damn good work you do there, Abu.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1601 - November 19, 2014, 09:41 PM

Note - title change to:

Chapter 3

Part 3

Linguistic Appreciation was the Key to the Hearts of the Pre-Islamic Arabs.
     Reply #1602 - November 23, 2014, 03:34 PM

Things have been a bit silent over on this forum topic and the other translation one, but it's because of some being really busy.

Like Abu Ali mentioned before, he's a bit busy during this Christmas season, so we'll have to have to some mercy on him while we he finishes the rest of book. Only about 20 pages left to translate, but of course, being busy makes 20 pages feel much longer.

On my side of things, I haven't been able to touch my part of the work for at least a week. University and Work are taking most of time up. Exams are coming up and that means I'll be pretty quiet until mid-December when the exams are over. Operations will resume shortly after and hopefully we'll have something done by Q1 2015!

Thanks!
     Reply #1603 - November 23, 2014, 03:34 PM

Note - title change to:

Chapter 3

Part 3

Linguistic Appreciation was the Key to the Hearts of the Pre-Islamic Arabs.

Noted!
     Reply #1604 - November 23, 2014, 08:57 PM

Cheers, doubter_seeker  Afro
     Reply #1605 - November 25, 2014, 11:26 PM

I added the Arabic text for the Quran verses in that last bit - and tbh I think we should really do it for all the verses.

Which is a bit of a pain as 'someone' will have to go through the book and add it.

If you don't mind doing that please raise your hand.

grin12
     Reply #1606 - November 26, 2014, 02:12 AM

I wonder who else here is fluent in Arabic 

cough...HM...cough 

whistling2   

grin12

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #1607 - November 26, 2014, 02:31 AM

I added the Arabic text for the Quran verses in that last bit - and tbh I think we should really do it for all the verses.

Which is a bit of a pain as 'someone' will have to go through the book and add it.

If you don't mind doing that please raise your hand.

grin12

Don't worry about it, I can add them myself as long as you just mark where you need. For the Qur'an, I actually generated high-resolution images so that they match the typical mushaf (that famous copies using Taha Uthman's calligraphy).

Here's an example:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hpcgIRMbV-4WxJIdUMU5OE00TeEMleqvZqGlHKxqAys/edit#heading=h.aumfxk5i1e3c

Another example where the Arabic wasn't completely essential but still was a nice addition was here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15AyYtgLQIlZyONCKWWLtqVpoNdSQsZ6eY4WINpNTxL4/edit

For any of the Arabic poetry (you seem to have included almost all of it already), I'm just using the Arabic text and will have to tune the font later on.

I'm not fluent in Classical Arabic, but I can read it slowly and understand the basics (enough to know if you missed a paragraph, but not compare each sentence).
     Reply #1608 - November 26, 2014, 02:12 PM

That looks awesome. You are an absolute star!
     Reply #1609 - November 26, 2014, 06:25 PM

He is isn't he. Thanks doubter!
     Reply #1610 - November 26, 2014, 07:11 PM

Abu ali and doubter.

You guys have done waay more than translate.  You've actually improved his work. 

You should be named and translators and editors/commentators instead of just translators.

Reply #1611 - November 27, 2014, 02:31 PM

I'm really looking forward to reading this when it's done, I wonder how much of an impact it will have when released.
     Reply #1612 - November 30, 2014, 01:43 PM

Please note title change of that last piece I posted:

Chapter 3

Part 4

The Work of the Qur'anic Commentators.
     Reply #1613 - December 02, 2014, 07:50 PM

Please note title change of that last piece I posted:

Chapter 3

Part 4

The Work of the Qur'anic Commentators.

Thanks, noted!

Looks like Abu Ali is almost done, he's doing the last chapter that he has to translate, a little less than six pages, and it's all done! I'll be dormant as exam season has begun for me. I'll be back near the end of the month to continue work on the formatting. I'll keep tabs on the topic with email notifications, so I'll try to stay on track anyways.
     Reply #1614 - December 02, 2014, 09:31 PM

cheers ds  Afro
     Reply #1615 - December 04, 2014, 07:40 PM

OMG... It's the dancing banana:

banana dance

That can only mean ONE thing....

I've FINISHED!!!

Reply #1616 - December 04, 2014, 07:45 PM

Just a few more things to tie up.

1) D_S will continue doing the text and hopefully add quran text (when he finsihes his exams - good luck btw)

2) I remember Iraqi Atheist said he had a problem with the introduction as he was working from a scan that missed some words - so I'll take a look at that as we now have the full editable Arabic text.

3) I will compose a translators intro.

4) I will look at any reviews (only seen one online and perhaps think about adding them.)

5) Maybe a Youtube vid?

D_S have I missed anything?

Re: release date, personally I'd rather the book was released first week of February for personal reasons - but I don't mind if its sooner.
     Reply #1617 - December 04, 2014, 07:48 PM

Reply #1618 - December 04, 2014, 08:08 PM

w00T

Thanks Abu Ali !   

You've gone above and beyond translating it. Your commentary and notes really add alot of value to the book !!

Re: release date, personally I'd rather the book was released first week of February for personal reasons - but I don't mind if its sooner.

No rush.

Besides the editing, formatting, adding quranic text, having people proof read it before release etc before will take a few months anyways.

Reply #1619 - December 04, 2014, 08:11 PM

Yes, proof-reading. We could do with some volunteers.

Please put your name on this thread if you can do that please  Smiley
  • Previous page 1 ... 52 53 5455 56 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »