Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"

(Read 272839 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 47 48 4950 51 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     Reply #1440 - October 19, 2014, 08:48 AM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I am new doubter.

I recently came across the English version of this book, read a few paragraphs and it really impressed me so far. However, to my dismay much of it was incomplete. After a bit searching, I discovered that Abu Ali, Aziz and other forum members have been busy translating the rest of the book.

It seems like user ateapotist has volunteered to continue work on updating the original LaTex document. I wouldn't mind helping with that either. I could setup a new GitHub repo where the new .tex file is hosted. We really need to have a centralized place with the latest version of the text. Otherwise, we're going to have a bunch of text all over the place that is hard to gather, and hard to keep track of. Otherwise, I can setup a shared Microsoft OneNote notebook or Google Drive folder.

Proper critical material on Islam is hard to find and most of it is written by Christians with a missionary agenda, or angry ex-Muslims (I don’t blame them). However, this material is very intelligently written, and contains arguments I’ve never seen before. From what I’ve read so far, it’s pretty clear that the author of this book was very knowledgeable on Islam, what a gem! This work cannot be left unnoticed hidden in the depths of the Internet. As for Abu Ali, your translation work is amazing, and the speed you do it at is insane. Legendary stuff!
     Reply #1441 - October 19, 2014, 09:02 AM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I am new doubter.

Proper critical material on Islam is hard to find and most of it is written by Christians with a missionary agenda, or angry ex-Muslims (I don’t blame them). However, this material is very intelligently written, and contains arguments I’ve never seen before. From what I’ve read so far, it’s pretty clear that the author of this book was very knowledgeable on Islam, what a gem! This work cannot be left unnoticed hidden in the depths of the Internet. As for Abu Ali, your translation work is amazing, and the speed you do it at is insane. Legendary stuff!

hello doubter_seeker9., greetings and my good wishes to you.. Welcome to CEMB..  you are right   that  Proper critical material on Islam is hard to find and most of it is written by Christians with a missionary agenda, or angry ex-Muslims.   

And you know reason for that, the  reason is.,      A Muslim Can not Criticize 1). Quran, 2). Hadith and 3).  Islamic  prophets, preachers and figure heads.   The moment he criticizes  any of those subjects.. he will become an apostate and Ex-Muslim... It is as simple as that..

It is same even in the case of  present book, which  is primarily translated by Abu Ali..aka angry smoker.,  ..   " He Is Also  an Angry  Ex-Muslim" and we know very little about original author .. He could as well be some Arab Christian"

The point is.   Critics of Islam can not be a Muslim and criticize Islam. At best you will be  branded as heretic and at worse you will be an apostate. That is the name of the game until today. This may change 10 years down the road, but now we have to accept the fact that one can not be a Muslim and criticize Quran, Hadith and Prophet of Islam.  

anyways   that is life .. take or leave it..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1442 - October 19, 2014, 09:15 AM

Doubter - seeker yes any help would be very much appreciated. I'm our atm but will get back to you when I get back.
     Reply #1443 - October 19, 2014, 09:21 AM

Re the author. Although his real identity is unknown I am as sure as I can be he is not a Christian Arab and that he is exactly who he says he is an Egyptian Muslim or rather exmuslim.
     Reply #1444 - October 19, 2014, 02:54 PM

The point is.   Critics of Islam can not be a Muslim and criticize Islam. At best you will be  branded as heretic and at worse you will be an apostate. That is the name of the game until today. This may change 10 years down the road, but now we have to accept the fact that one can not be a Muslim and criticize Quran, Hadith and Prophet of Islam.  

anyways   that is life .. take or leave it..

Muslims assume that their sources are absolutely correct, and thus believe that any discrepancy is a misunderstanding of their own. If there is a mistake in the Qur'an, they'll perform mental gymnastics to explain it. If the mistake is in the Hadith, they'll reject it even if it meets the criteria for authenticity. Muslims often use the argument that no Muslim scholar has found issues in Islam, which to me, is the equivalent of saying that, the North Korean dictator finds no injustice in his leadership. My favourite contention is when they claim conspiracy, apparently, everyone is out to destroy 'the Truth of Islam'.

Re the author. Although his real identity is unknown I am as sure as I can be he is not a Christian Arab and that he is exactly who he says he is an Egyptian Muslim or rather exmuslim.

I agree with Abu Ali on this, the writer can't be a Christian as he throws insults at Christianity, in addition to Islam, as well. I'm only reading the English, but the Arabic probably hints at the nationality of the author, and maybe his academic background.

Doubter - seeker yes any help would be very much appreciated. I'm our atm but will get back to you when I get back.

When I get a chance later today, I'll create a Google Drive folder with all your current work collected from the forums. I'll post a read-only link for the forum members, and I'll contact you to add you as a collaborator. This should make your job much easier, and make it easier for the members to review the latest work.

Edit (19 oct): Google Drive [read-only] link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9kxpFIEZa-eR0NveE1IY28xVlU&usp=sharing

PM me to get edit permission.
     Reply #1445 - October 19, 2014, 04:09 PM

Muslims assume that their sources are absolutely correct, and thus believe that any discrepancy is a misunderstanding of their own. If there is a mistake in the Qur'an, they'll perform mental gymnastics to explain it. If the mistake is in the Hadith, they'll reject it even if it meets the criteria for authenticity.

That is not true  for all Muslims doubter_seeker9.  In fact 100s of millions of Muslims have not read Quran and as well as Hadith.  On top of that  few read Quran critically.,  I think that is where the problem lies.

Muslims often use the argument that no Muslim scholar has found issues in Islam, which to me, is the equivalent of saying that, the North Korean dictator finds no injustice in his leadership. My favourite contention is when they claim conspiracy, apparently, everyone is out to destroy 'the Truth of Islam'.

well north Korean dictators son /grand son built a cult around them.   But Islam and Its history/origins is slightly different., doubter_s..  Anyways I am so glad to read you.,  Please continue to interact with folks

with best regards
    yeezevee

Reply #1446 - October 19, 2014, 05:26 PM

You bring some very good points yeezevee. In fact, what transformed my doubts into disbelief is when I started reading Bukhari, on it's own. Even the learned Muslims only learn through books that selectively quote from Qur'an and Hadith to show only the 'nice' parts.

Like you said, the lay Muslim barely reads Qu'ran, and most of he knows about Islam is just wishful thinking.

As for the Google Drive folder, I finished creating separate documents for each section. The longer parts are subdivided because managing very long documents is hard.

I haven't copied most of the translated text into the empty documents yet. I'm a bit busy today but I'll try to find some time later. If someone wants to volunteer, PM with your Google account and I'll set you up.

It looks like sections 2, and 4 are completely translated. Section 5 is almost done too. Section 1 and 3 remains to be translated, but they seem much shorter than 4 and 5.

Again, the read only link
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9kxpFIEZa-eR0NveE1IY28xVlU&usp=sharing
     Reply #1447 - October 19, 2014, 08:09 PM

I'm our atm

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1448 - October 19, 2014, 08:18 PM

Muslims assume that their sources are absolutely correct, and thus believe that any discrepancy is a misunderstanding of their own. If there is a mistake in the Qur'an, they'll perform mental gymnastics to explain it. If the mistake is in the Hadith, they'll reject it even if it meets the criteria for authenticity. Muslims often use the argument that no Muslim scholar has found issues in Islam, which to me, is the equivalent of saying that, the North Korean dictator finds no injustice in his leadership. My favourite contention is when they claim conspiracy, apparently, everyone is out to destroy 'the Truth of Islam'.
    I agree with Abu Ali on this, the writer can't be a Christian as he throws insults at Christianity, in addition to Islam, as well. I'm only reading the English, but the Arabic probably hints at the nationality of the author, and maybe his academic background.

When I get a chance later today, I'll create a Google Drive folder with all your current work collected from the forums. I'll post a read-only link for the forum members, and I'll contact you to add you as a collaborator. This should make your job much easier, and make it easier for the members to review the latest work.

Edit (19 oct): Google Drive [read-only] link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9kxpFIEZa-eR0NveE1IY28xVlU&usp=sharing

PM me to get edit permission.

Been so busy today - since 6am this morning would you believe!!

Anyway if you are able and would like to add all the bits I have translated to the file. I am not actually very good with tekkie stuff and would like to devote the little time I have just to translating if that's OK.

The only thing to note is that some of the titles from the contents at the start have changed so if you could change them. (The one on the translation is the correct one - the one on the contents list is the incorrect one.)

Also I put my own notes on each bit I translate as * and ** and *** (So far I have never had more than 3 notes in one piece of translation.) However I'm not sure how that will pan out when it is all put together. Aziz used to sort all that for me so perhaps you could see what he did in earlier parts.

The numbered notes are of course the authors.

Reply #1449 - October 19, 2014, 08:21 PM

Cheesy

r u laughing at me Quod Grrrr  finmad  grin12

Yeah I meant "I'm out atm"  Tongue

Reply #1450 - October 19, 2014, 08:29 PM

Anyway if you are able and would like to add all the bits I have translated to the file. I am not actually very good with tekkie stuff and would like to devote the little time I have just to translating if that's OK.

Sure, just keep posting the translations like you're doing now, and I'll take care of putting the stuff in there. (If others want to help, you are very welcome!) Once you have finished most of the translation work and started reviewing, you can access Google Drive directly, and you can make changes just like you would in a Word document. Very easy!

The only thing to note is that some of the titles from the contents at the start have changed so if you could change them. (The one on the translation is the correct one - the one on the contents list is the incorrect one.)

I noticed that, and I'll take care of it.

Also I put my own notes on each bit I translate as * and ** and *** (So far I have never had more than 3 notes in one piece of translation.) However I'm not sure how that will pan out when it is all put together. Aziz used to sort all that for me so perhaps you could see what he did in earlier parts.

The numbered notes are of course the authors.

I'll take a look and see what I can do. Perhaps I can have the footnotes that you added yourself marked with [translator's note] or something similar.

This is really exciting, looking forward to the final product!
     Reply #1451 - October 19, 2014, 08:48 PM

Great stuff - thanks - yes I really want to get it finished - maybe by Christmas inshallahAfro
     Reply #1452 - October 19, 2014, 11:17 PM

Great stuff - thanks - yes I really want to get it finished - maybe by Christmas inshallahAfro

Yes, lets go for it!

By the way, look what I found:
    http://muhammadanism.com/Arabic/book/documents/my_ordeal_quran.doc

The original .doc file of the Arabic version! No more blurry scans, but clear editable text! Ironically, it's hosted by what it seems is a Christian anti-Islamic website. The document dates from 2007, with copyright in 2004.

Can't guarantee that it matches the PDF though. Also , the .doc is huge, so be patient as it loads.
     Reply #1453 - October 20, 2014, 11:05 AM

Great find!! Should come in handy  Afro
     Reply #1454 - October 20, 2014, 11:10 AM

Ironically, it's hosted by what it seems is a Christian anti-Islamic website.

It appears to match perfectly.

It doesn't surprise me it's on a Christian anti Islam site. They're the only ones that have the pdf. I just wonder how they got it? Did they get some guy to laboriously type it all up or did they find the authors doc file.
     Reply #1455 - October 20, 2014, 11:17 AM

Yes, lets go for it!

By the way, look what I found:
    http://muhammadanism.com/Arabic/book/documents/my_ordeal_quran.doc

Hmmm..   This is fishy http://muhammadanism.com/ ..  with fishy name in it....   why would they use "muhammadanism"  in their link?  these guys are cheating using the word "muhammad" to attract unsuspected Muslim folks to their web sites .. RASCALS...

But I got a freebee at  their link    and that is Christoph Luxenberg's book

The Syro-Aramaic Reading of the Koran: A Contribution to the Decoding of the Language of the Qur'an

well I am going to take that freebee

Reply #1456 - October 20, 2014, 11:21 AM

It appears to match perfectly.

It doesn't surprise me it's on a Christian anti Islam site. They're the only ones that have the pdf.

Hmmm... that is snidy remark .. Well it also doesn't surprise me .. You are spending enormous amount of your time to translate that book that too without a single penny in return.    I wonder why? is it because you are ex-...ex......ex.......     convict??  Huh?

I just wonder how they got it? Did they get some guy to laboriously type it all up or did they find the authors doc file.

there are  programs  that  convert PDF file in to word and word in to PDF files

Reply #1457 - October 20, 2014, 11:28 AM

You are spending enormous amount of your time to translate that book that too without a single penny in return.    I wonder why? is it because you are ex-...ex......ex.......     convict??  ??

The Jews pay me...  Duh!

Reply #1458 - October 20, 2014, 11:33 AM

It doesn't surprise me it's on a Christian anti Islam site. They're the only ones that have the pdf. I just wonder how they got it? Did they get some guy to laboriously type it all up or did they find the authors doc file.

Three possibilities:
    - Those missionaries are sometimes loaded with cash and have good expensive OCR software for reading the Arabic scanned documents. They just used it.
    - Those missionaries are sometimes loaded with cash and have hired someone to transcribe it manually.
    - The work was actually originally written in .doc before the .pdf version appeared.

Hmmm..   This is fishy http://muhammadanism.com/ ..  with fishy name in it....   why would they use "muhammadanism"  in their link?  these guys are cheating using the word "muhammad" to attract unsuspected Muslim folks to their web sites .. RASCALS...

This is so typical of them, www.religionofpeace.com, www.unchangingword.com, www.answering-islam.org and so on.

But I got a freebee at  their link    and that is Christoph Luxenberg's book

They have better Islamic resources than some Islamic websites sometimes. Obscure texts from previous scholars, Hadith collections, etc.

The Jews pay me...  Duh!

By the way, when does my share of the cash come from the Jewish Illuminati Zionist Freemasons? Do I need to sign up somehow or they just spy on me and figure it out? Now that I'm working for you guys....
     Reply #1459 - October 20, 2014, 11:50 AM

The Jews see all. A cheque will be in the post soon along with secret card that will gain you admission to vip areas.
     Reply #1460 - October 20, 2014, 12:03 PM

By the way, when does my share of the cash come from the Jewish Illuminati Zionist Freemasons? Do I need to sign up somehow or they just spy on me and figure it out? Now that I'm working for you guys....

SPIES ARE EVERYWHERE ...doubter_s

admission to vip areas.

Yap.. that is true ..   Yes..yes..  elite club and VIPs..
    here is secret society

osmanthus
        Pub Regular
        Offline  Posts: 41007  Male

BerberElla
        Creator Goddess
       Offline  Posts: 31003  Female

Saif Rahman
        Ex-Muslim
        Offline  Posts: 23854  Male

billy
        Global Moderator
       Offline  Posts: 20607

Abu Ali
        Pub Regular
        Offline  Posts: 17816  Male

yeezevee
        Pub Regular
        Online  Posts: 17184

Cheetah
        Global Moderator
        Offline  Posts: 15555  Female

allat
        Administrator
        Offline  Posts: 12498

Colonel Q-Daffi
        Pub Regular
        Offline  Posts: 12166  Male

Ishina
        Global Moderator
        Offline  Posts: 10284  Female

Quod Sum Eris
        Pub Regular

off course there are other calculations apart from number of posts

RASCALS..........  all drive BMWS......bentley cars...   eat  fish eggs..   and drink .. over weight .... finmad

I mean eat Caviar

damn that is some 5000 dollars for pound....   So tell me when you join that elite club...

Reply #1461 - October 20, 2014, 08:23 PM

Please note title change of that last bit:

Chapter 5 - Part 9

With God, man must stay within his limit.

Reply #1462 - October 20, 2014, 10:02 PM

I hope the author is alive and doing well. Is Abas AbdulNoor his real name or pseudonym, and has anyone got more information about him? The thread is too long for me to follow.
    Thank you for the translation Abu Ali  Smiley
     Reply #1463 - October 20, 2014, 10:15 PM

Abbas Abdul-Noor is almost certainly a pseudonym. All we know about the author is what he says in the book. The book is dated 2004. Whether he's still alive - Allah knows best.

You can get a good feel for someone when you translate his every word and so get to think about the choices he made and the expressions he uses etc...

As I've said before I'm quite certain he was a Muslim - not a Christian - as the things he says reflect both a familiarity with Islam that would be unusual amongst Christians, plus he often critiques Christianity as well - even when it is not necessary to do so. Also he speaks like an atheist would when using arguments that equally demolish Christianity as well as Islam.

So I am as certain as I can be that he is an Ex-Muslim Arab who is now an Atheist. I would also add that he seems quite left-wing and may have socialist leanings.
     Reply #1464 - October 20, 2014, 10:23 PM

I hope the author is alive and doing well. Is Abas AbdulNoor his real name or pseudonym, and has anyone got more information about him? T...................

Hello kermit  the frog.,..popeye the sailor here.

.. I have not read you much., so greetings and my good wishes to you... and welcome to CEMB.,  To answer your question.,

Abbas Abdul Nur was born in Damanhur in 1927. A Sufi Sheikh, pious Muslim of the Sunni sect, jurist, and chief of a Khanaqah. He inherited the religion from fathers and grandfathers recognized for their piety and strength of doctrine.

Enrolled in the Facuty of Theology at Al Azhar where he studied for three years. He decided to complete the fourth year at the University of Fuad I, Faculty of Literature, Department of Philosophy where he studied under intellectual titans such as Abdulrahman Badawai, Zaki Naguib Mahmood, Muhammed Abdul Hadi, Abu Reeda Al-Ahwani, Yusuf Murad, and others.

Despite all of that, he was disappointed in both universities and said that he wasted four years of his life. From Fuad I he transferred to the Higher Institute of Education and obtained a degree from there. He was awarded a scholarship from the Agency of Islamic Endowments to Study in Paris at the Sorbonne for a doctorate. And so he obtained what he pursued.

When he returned to his city, he resumed his religious endeavour so he became a preacher, imam, and a speaker in one of its mosques. He then pegged away at academic education and writing scientific and philosophical books and had several works in Arab and Islamic philosophy published recurrently in Beirut and Cairo. After he retired, he devoted himself to writing and research in the various fields of philosophy, literature, and religion.

But his intellectual life was not without worries and his religious life was not free of doubts. He grew up in a pious devout household; however, there was mystery, trouble, and endless queries in his mind. His mind was raising provocative subjects but his faith was enough to answer every enigma.

The conflict between science and religion started early with Abbas. A conflict that had no chance to be made public. Had this conflict emerged from the darkness since its inception, he wouldn’t have reached this degree of fervour that is conveyed in this unrivalled book. If he was allowed to express his mind and heart, the result would have been the same but it wouldn’t have been with such intensity and fervour.

Abbas is not responsible for the rejection of the Quran and the god of the Quran. Neither are the Quran or Allah responsible. It’s all Muslims and particularly the loudmouthed Mufassirun who are responsible for this bizarre Western view of the Quran and the god of the Quran.

The Muslims have extracted the Quran from its environment and presented it to us as an eternal, divine text that has no relation with the human thought and the circumstances of its origins. Which is the whole problem to Dr. Abbas. He wants nothing but to return back to history. A wonderful text in its time but full with mistakes and misguidances when not in its time

that is what a good friend of CEMB wrote some time back...But Muslims those who believe in textual Islam will question and consider Abas AbdulNoor is NOT a real name and not even a Muslim..   http://www.islamicboard.com/clarifications-about-islam/134302111-abbas-abdulnoor.html

Reply #1465 - October 20, 2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks AA and yeezevee. Interesting info. I will try to read the whole translation once it is over.
    AA.Your profile shows "Agnostic Muslim", do you still identify as such?
    Yeezevee. I had feelings that he was/used to be a Sufi. IMO they are the only sect who are not rigid unlike others.
     Reply #1466 - October 20, 2014, 10:58 PM

Ahmadiyya aren't that rigid in belief.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #1467 - October 20, 2014, 11:09 PM

yes. Quranists too. I was talking about mainstream sects. Forgot to mention that.
     Reply #1468 - October 20, 2014, 11:15 PM

I'd consider quranists a movement, not a sect, though who knows, in time it may develop as such.

Reply #1469 - October 21, 2014, 09:03 AM

AA.Your profile shows "Agnostic Muslim", do you still identify as such?

Yes.
  • Previous page 1 ... 47 48 4950 51 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »