Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"

(Read 273096 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 40 41 4243 44 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     Reply #1230 - July 26, 2014, 01:56 PM

I suppose their last resort would be to claim that this undiscovered land signifies another planet or something.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #1231 - July 26, 2014, 02:14 PM

Yes, I guess - that or they will just bury their head in the sand.

It still never ceases to amaze me how little Muslims know about what the Qur'an actually says.

You'd think that the book which defines their worldview & dictates how they live their lives, should be a book they know well - or at least have read and understood. But no. A surprising number of Muslims haven't even read the Qur'an (in a language they understand) - and those that have, have not read it deeply.
     Reply #1232 - July 26, 2014, 02:19 PM

Copyright issues preventing you from putting this out as a Kindle book when translation is complete I guess?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #1233 - July 26, 2014, 02:26 PM

I don't know what the legalities are, but personally I would love it to be available on Kindle. Maybe someone could look into it?
     Reply #1234 - July 26, 2014, 02:33 PM

Abu Ali - if you put it out as a pdf that can be emailed to kindle and shown
     Reply #1235 - July 26, 2014, 02:59 PM

Copyright issues preventing you from putting this out as a Kindle book when translation is complete I guess?

Since it's from an anonymous author I highly doubt the book is protected by copyright.  Wanting to copyright it would have required the author to submit an application or something with his legal name. 

I think once the translation is complete someone should copyright it before releasing it on kindle and mention that it was written by an anonymous author to try and give him credit that way.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #1236 - July 26, 2014, 03:01 PM

Thanks Lily, it is actually already in PDF form.

When we started this project I was doing the translation and posting it on the "Actual Translation" thread and then Aziz was taking it and adding it to the PDF version he created.

But now he's gone I don't know how to do that?

The links to the PDF versions and what I assume are editors are on the very first post of the "Actual Translation" thread.

I've copied that post below for convenience. If anyone can help me put this into the PDF version, I'd be very grateful.

Everything I've translated is already on there - APART from the last chapter that I'm just finishing now (4.10 The Qur’ān and Science)

This thread is only intended for translators as a folder to add their translated texts to.
    Nothing else is allowed here.

For discussions and comments please use the original thread, that started everything off.

Links:

My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran-en-latest.pdf (Always the latest version of the PDF file)

My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran.tex (Used to generate the PDF file)

Found a mistake you want to me to correct?

Folder with project related files.

TODO: Somebody should make a list of links to all the pieces Hassan has already translated in the other thread.

Reply #1237 - July 26, 2014, 03:04 PM

@abu ali.

Instead of keeping it as a pdf file do you think you could just convert it to a word file so you can edit it more easily and then convert it to a pdf when your done the entire thing ?

OR just keep converting from pdf to word and then back when your adding a new chapter to it.

Reply #1238 - July 26, 2014, 03:09 PM

I am actually a real idiot when it comes to things like that. I would really appreciate if someone could convert it for me and email it to me.

btw The PDF contains footnotes - will they convert properly?
     Reply #1239 - July 26, 2014, 03:14 PM

^

These websites will convert the files for you. All you have to do is upload the pdf file. click the "convert" button type in your email and it will send you the word file.

To convert from word to pdf you just select the .pdf option on the drop down menu when clicking " save as " on the word file.

Websites.  You can find more if you google " pdf to word" converter.

https://www.pdftoword.com

http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/
    http://www.freepdfconvert.com/pdf-word

Reply #1240 - July 26, 2014, 03:16 PM

Putting it out on Kindle is straightforward. Do it and we'll promote it lots and lots and lots. And it'll always be there available forever for people to read.

God is Love.

Reply #1241 - July 26, 2014, 03:24 PM

^

Hamza Tzortzis will probably spend entire nights trying to type up a "debunking" of the book as soon as it's released on kindle.

After the science in the quran bs was debunked the "miraculous quran" claim is the only thing he has left to stand on.

Reply #1242 - July 26, 2014, 03:28 PM

Since it's from an anonymous author I highly doubt the book is protected by copyright.  Wanting to copyright it would have required the author to submit an application or something with his legal name. 

I think once the translation is complete someone should copyright it before releasing it on kindle and mention that it was written by an anonymous author to try and give him credit that way.

Actually, as soon as anybody has written a work (or recorded a song, taped a movie, etc.), that work is under copyright to them. I know this is the case, legally, in at least the US and UK and most other countries. Registering the copyright simply makes it easier legally to defend against cases of copyright infringement--without registering the copyright, one has to provide evidence (previous drafts, etc) that they are the original writer in case of a legal dispute.

Copyright still holds even in the case of work by an anonymous author, but the length of the copyright changes. Usually, the copyright lasts for a shorter time (anywhere from 50 to 90 years from date of publication depending on the country), unless the author comes forward in which case the duration of the copyright usually reverts to the normal, longer length.

Translations of a work require the consent of the original copyright owner.

Now, this is where it gets murky, since I have no idea what the laws or protocol are for translation of a work by an anonymous author. However, since it seems the author didn't really expect much (if any) monetary compensation from the work, and since the author's intent was to spread the idea more than anything else, and since it's doubtful the author would want to come forward, I guess from a moral standpoint, it would be okay to distribute a translation.
     Reply #1243 - July 26, 2014, 03:34 PM

^

ok then instead of kindle we can create a pdf, put it on some file sharing site and just promote the link to the file.

Reply #1244 - July 26, 2014, 03:36 PM

^

ok then instead of kindle we can create a pdf, put it on some file sharing site and just promote the link to the file.

Yup and that can be emailed to a kindle anyway. Just make sure the text is large enough. I can test it out for you on mine when it is finished.
     Reply #1245 - July 26, 2014, 03:40 PM

I would really appreciate if someone could convert it for me and email it to me.

btw The PDF contains footnotes - will they convert properly?

These websites will convert the files for you. All you have to do is upload the pdf file. click the "convert" button type in your email and it will send you the word file.

http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

Hassan TDR's link is perfect for you.. try that link.,   It converted  that pdf file in a minute in to Word file with all FOOT NOTES INTACT" ..

You write so much   it will help you in future.. Just try that link it is free .. do this

1).  down load that latest PDF file   http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/docs/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran-en-latest.pdf    in to your hard disk .

2). Go to this link  http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

3). Just click that picture at that link

4). It will ask for a file in your hard disk .. go to file and click that

5). it spits out as word file.. 2007 MS word version  or the latest...

6). Save the file on your hard disk as word file..

Use word file to add or delete anything to the word file..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1246 - July 26, 2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks, Yeez & TDR and others - will do  Afro
     Reply #1247 - July 26, 2014, 04:44 PM

As the writer points out in this last piece about Gog & Magog; Where is this land where a "mischievous" people are trapped behind a huge iron barrier?

Either Muslims must admit this story is simply a myth - or rather a jumbled-up collection of myths - or they have to maintain that there is still an undiscovered region where these people live behind this huge barrier.

That's a lot of cognitive dissonance to handle - dare I say the metaphorical dam will burst at the slightest scrutiny of this story? lol

Regardless of identification of these people the story's basis is found in other cultures in different forms for centuries. It is merely assimilation and adaptation of previous stories in an effort to gain credibility for Islam. Which is standard in the Quran.
     Reply #1248 - July 26, 2014, 04:59 PM

Just converted it, but the word file looks weird:
     Reply #1249 - July 26, 2014, 05:01 PM

Regardless of identification of these people the story's basis is found in other cultures in different forms for centuries. It is merely assimilation and adaptation of previous stories in an effort to gain credibility for Islam. Which is standard in the Quran.

True.
     Reply #1250 - July 26, 2014, 05:11 PM

re word file - it's OK now.

For some reason it opened in "TextEdit" by default but now I've opened it using Word and it's fine  Afro
     Reply #1251 - July 26, 2014, 05:14 PM

Though the Arabic words (it doesn't have many - but there are a few) look all screwy.
     Reply #1252 - July 26, 2014, 05:15 PM

Should I charge up my kindle for testing Abu?
     Reply #1253 - July 26, 2014, 05:29 PM

So abu ali

which parts have been translated so far in total. the translation thread has ch4 the parts you translated but by the looks of the pic you posted ch2 seems to be at least partially complete.

why isn't the ch2 part in the translation thread ?

Reply #1254 - July 26, 2014, 05:50 PM

Microsoft Word on my Mac doesn't support Arabic text - which sucks. Not that there's a great deal of Arabic text, but it's necessary.

Shit!

Aziz - come back - all is forgiven. He used to do all this bollocks that I just can't handle so I coulod concentrate on the translation  Cry

Well fuckit - I've wasted enough time on this - I'm just going to continue with the translation and worry about putting it all together when I finish. Perhaps Aziz will return to save the day - or someone else who knows how to do this shit can take it on  finmad
     Reply #1255 - July 26, 2014, 05:57 PM

So abu ali

which parts have been translated so far in total. the translation thread has ch4 the parts you translated but by the looks of the pic you posted ch2 seems to be at least partially complete.

why isn't the ch2 part in the translation thread ?

OK let me take this opportunity to recap as there are a lot of ppl here now who weren't here when we started this project.

A while ago an Arab ex-Muslim member called RIBS came across this book and thought it would be a great idea if we got together to translate it. There were about 4 who volunteered. I actually volunteered last because I knew what was involved and it wouldn't be easy. Someone chose to do Chapter 1 I chose to do Chapter 2 Someone else Chapter 3 etc...

The others soon dropped out when they found it difficult to translate - so I was left with translating it. I had already finished chapter 2 which is short and started on chapter 4 (as someone else was supposed to be doing chapter 3)

I am over half way through chapter 4.

So only chapter 2 and chapter 4 have been done so far.

I had a long break from it - but now, inshallah  Wink hope to finish it.

And as I have mentioned - and as it says at the start of this thread - it's all in a PDF - and here is the link again  Wink

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/docs/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran-en-latest.pdf
     Reply #1256 - July 26, 2014, 05:58 PM

Microsoft Word on my Mac doesn't support Arabic text - which sucks. Not that there's a great deal of Arabic text, but it's necessary.

Shit!..............

Mac?? Mac is a meat for McDonald fast food... stupid Mac..

PC..PC..  Cheesy.,  well  PC MS word did a goof job., In fact I am reading that file..  Don't worry just focus on translation..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1257 - July 26, 2014, 06:00 PM

Don't worry just focus on translation..

Yep!
     Reply #1258 - July 26, 2014, 06:02 PM

OK let me take this opportunity to recap as there are a lot of ppl here now who weren't here when we started this project.

A while ago an Arab ex-Muslim member called RIBS came across this book and thought it would be a great idea if we got together to translate it. There were about 4 who volunteered. I actually volunteered last because I knew what was involved and it wouldn't be easy. Someone chose to do Chapter 1 I chose to do Chapter 2 Someone else Chapter 3 etc...

The others soon dropped out when they found it difficult to translate - so I was left with translating it. I had already finished chapter 2 which is short and started on chapter 4 (as someone else was supposed to be doing chapter 3)

I am over half way through chapter 4.

So only chapter 2 and chapter 4 have been done so far.

I had a long break from it - but now, inshallah  Wink hope to finish it.

And as I have mentioned - and as it says at the start of this thread - it's all in a PDF - and here is the link again  Wink

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/docs/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran/My_Ordeal_With_The_Quran-en-latest.pdf

Oh dear. You are going great guns then. How many chapters in total?
     Reply #1259 - July 26, 2014, 06:03 PM

just concentrate on the translation AA, when it comes to formatting it and editing it everyone here who is nifty  with that kind of technical thing will help out.

See if we can get someone to design a good cover for it too  Smiley

God is Love.

• Previous page 1 ... 40 41 4243 44 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »